Non-Prescriptions Packed???

Bo1953

Hello all - I woke up this morning thinking about this and what each of us may or may not pack for our sailings...

I, personally, never pack any non-prescriptions, with the exception of a first-aid kit.

Given the current 'health situation' I was wondering what others may pack 'just in case' or that they understand will help alleviate any discomfort encountered from many situations or potential situations.... so we do not have to go to Sick Bay or on-board store or port store to get common items.

TIA, In Health and bon voyage

We pack basic OTCs for pain, allergies, and stomach issues.  We also pack bandaids, antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone and antifungal cream.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, we also travel with thermometer, blood pressure monitor and pulse oximeter.

Edited by dream2cruise
left out info to answer op question
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have added a thermometer to my first aid kit and I used it a few times on the last TA.  I also took a couple of self tests along.  I chose them by box size as the smaller ones are easier to pack.  I used one of these to  check myself mid cruise because I had cruise cough.  Many say you don't always have a higher temperature with Covid but mine went up above 99 and then I had a positive test.  This was after I had a negative test to fly home thank goodness.  It was a mild case with fever for only three days and it came after I was safely home.

• Thanks 3

I had always packed what seemed like a small pharmacy for just in case issues before COVID..

the two post restart cruises I added the thermometer, pulse ox and several tests.

now we are supposed to sail out of Rome this summer which I get more anxious about by day..if we go I am thinking of adding lots of snacks , downloading several series to watch and whatever else I think would keep me sane if I have to isolate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I often travel with both children and the elderly so I bring a lot of different OTC medications with us.  I know the following list looks like a lot, but I only bring 3-4 doses of most of them.  I cut up the blister packs and put a few of each pill into baggies separated by category.  The whole collection fits into a soft-sided 6"x6" make-up bag.

• Stomach

Bonine

Dramamine

Gin-gins ginger candy chews

Seaband ginger gum

Pepcid AC

Tums

Imodium

Pepto

• Pain/Fever

Advil

Tylenol

Children's Tylenol

thermometer

• Cold/Flu

Nyquil

Dayquil

Benadryl

Sudafed

cough drops

• Ointments

Benzocaine

Bite & Itch Stick

Hydrocortisone

Aquaphor

• Eyes

Contact Case

Blink and Clean

Extra Contact Pack

• Skin

Neosporin

Bandaids

Blister Bandaids (hydrocolloid)

Moleskin

• Mouth

Chloroseptic Tabs

Orajel

Q-tips

Abreva

• Extra 1

Wet Ones

Hairband

Sunblock Stick

$20 Bill

Emory Board

Tampon

Azo

Safety Pin

Alcohol Wipe

Purell Packet

• Extra 2

Mask

Rubber Gloves

Migrastick

Breathe Right Strip

Clinere

Flosser

Insect Repellent Wipe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Consider investing in an oximeter, they slip over your finger to give you a reading of your oxygen level, they weigh a few ounces, and now they cost very little.  It will be an early alert if you need more medical intervention and it will keep you calm when you don't. A recent Covid study showed that people who used these at home had smaller risk of death.  I consider this essential home or on a cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Surprisingly, while over the last 20 years the number of Rx meds have increased, my travel nonRx meds have decreased. I bring Bonine, Dramamine, Tylenol, Benadryl, Lomotil, decongestant  nasal spray, antibiotic ointment and a steroid cream. All of my meds fit in a little 3" x 4" x 2" case. First aid supplies fit in one pocket of my toiletry bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always take DayQuil Nyquill etc…Bonine…Aleve.  

Liquid IV, maybe some vitamin C of some sort..

I Am not understanding what this one is?

I Am sure I will once you write it... LOL

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

I bring most of what everyone listed and I will add an oximeter to my kit for this cruise. Most important to me are stomach upset meds because I tend to indulge too much 😬, and now, cold/fever treatments should we contract Covid. 

Over the counter medication seems expensive and very limited on ships. 

• Thanks 1

If you have any breathing issues bring your nebulizer and a voltage converter.   

Pretty much everything you would require if your luggage goes missing for a couple days.

Friends arrived in San Juan with only their passports and the clothes they wore.  Took 3 days to get luggage to the ship.  Now always bring a bit of clothing.

• Thanks 1

We have been on over 30 cruises.  From our first cruise we have always brought a small zip bag with the following.  Tylenol, Motrin, Sudafed, Benadryl, Imodium, Laxative, Zyrtec, Zicam, Ginger capsules, Liquid IV, throat lozengers,  antacid, daytime and nighttime cold capsules.

Hydrocortisone cream, first aid cream, Anbesol, Arnicare, Prep H, alcohol wipes, band-aids, steri-strips, ace bandage and stuff to use if a crown or filling come off.  Post covid we have also added a thermometer and pulse oximeter.  

Believe it or not all of this fits in a very small bag.  I would rather have it not need it then not have it when I need it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am not understanding what this one is?

I Am sure I will once you write it... LOL

In health and bon voyage

Liquid IV is this amazing powder that comes in individual packs you dump in water to rehydrate.  I used it on my last cruise after being "over served" on the first day and also when I had Covid last month.  Great stuff!

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, spammie said:

Liquid IV is this amazing powder that comes in individual packs you dump in water to rehydrate.  I used it on my last cruise after being "over served" on the first day and also when I had Covid last month.  Great stuff!

Never heard of that! Sounds like a great addition to my meds bag. Thank you for the info. 

• Like 1

My standard travel kit always contains ibuprofin, acetaminophen (wife can't take ibuprofin), Immodium, Neosporin, loratidine, Benadryl, Benadryl cream, Band-Aids, and Tums.  If I'm cruising, I add some Bonine in case we hit some rough seas.  The whole kit takes up essentially no space, and it's nice to have.

For "rehydration assistance," I go with Nuun tablets.  I've heard a lot of good things about the Liquid IV powders, but I've been using Nuun tablets for a while.  They work fine for me, so I've not felt much need to try something new.

I used to carry Sudafed, but I only carry that now when travelling domestically.  I know that's an overabundance of caution bordering on paranoia, but it's been a pretty rare time that I've even thought about needing it.  I'd just as soon not be concerned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spammie said:

Thanks I will look for this... because I find that I Am often 'over served' aboard!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thanks I will look for this... because I find that I Am often 'over served' aboard!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

I buy it at Costco but they sell it on Amazon Prime and they do have their own website.  :) Wanda

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I used to carry Sudafed, but I only carry that now when travelling domestically.  I know that's an overabundance of caution bordering on paranoia, but it's been a pretty rare time that I've even thought about needing it.  I'd just as soon not be concerned.

Is Sudafed not allowed in foreign countries?  I have ear trouble and always have to take it before I fly or whenever I start feeling pressure in them.  

6 minutes ago, spammie said:

I buy it at Costco but they sell it on Amazon Prime and they do have their own website.  🙂 Wanda

I Am off to Costco today... will look for it...

Cheers and bon voyage

Cold meds are banned in some countries.    I would be careful if you are taking Tylenol (paracetamol) and are also drinking alcohol.    The combination is very toxic for your liver.   My sister has seen folks hospitalized with liver failure after having several drinks and taking Tylenol.   As you get older it is even more of a strain on your liver.   There are now warnings on the bottles.   DayQuil and NyQuil also contain Tylenol.   It’s hidden in a lot of medicines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2