Non-Prescriptions Packed???

Bo1953

59 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

After reading @SerraG, I hate to even post what I take: Tylenol; sunscreen (usually never use it); 1st Aid kit (very simple). 

Den

That’s OK, Den, I don’t take anything but sunscreen (also rarely use it). 😎

appreciate heads up on mixing over-the-counter stuff and drinking, but all the sites I’ve seen on this, medical sites, state using alcohol, and Tylenol as prescribed is fine.  One medical site said not to exceed 4000 mg/day after drinking which is 8-10 pills. That’s a lot. 

Non-prescriptions can be tricky for individuals as we all know. My 90+ mother started seeing aberrations. took her to her DR and the first thing the DR asked her was how much pain pills was she taking She was taking Advil every time she felt a twinge, morning noon and night. He banned her from those. She was Very upset and i knew she’d ignore him, so I got a bottle of placebo pills, marked them as Pain Pills and told her they were Very Powerful and to be careful taking them. She took them and said they were fantastic and she had no pain at all. 

too bad I can’t use that type of ‘medicine’ to fix my head after having a few drinks……I’m sure its just psychological that I get a headache after a few good ones but I still get them! A weak mind over matter. 

den

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SerraG said:

I often travel with both children and the elderly so I bring a lot of different OTC medications with us.  I know the following list looks like a lot, but I only bring 3-4 doses of most of them.  I cut up the blister packs and put a few of each pill into baggies separated by category.  The whole collection fits into a soft-sided 6"x6" make-up bag.

• Stomach

Bonine

Dramamine

Gin-gins ginger candy chews

Seaband ginger gum

Pepcid AC

Tums

Imodium

Pepto

• Pain/Fever

Advil

Tylenol

Children's Tylenol

thermometer

• Cold/Flu

Nyquil

Dayquil

Benadryl

Sudafed

cough drops

• Ointments

Benzocaine

Bite & Itch Stick

Hydrocortisone

Aquaphor

• Eyes

Contact Case

Blink and Clean

Extra Contact Pack

• Skin

Neosporin

Bandaids

Blister Bandaids (hydrocolloid)

Moleskin

• Mouth

Chloroseptic Tabs

Orajel

Q-tips

Abreva

• Extra 1

Wet Ones

Hairband

Sunblock Stick

$20 Bill

Emory Board

Tampon

Azo

Safety Pin

Alcohol Wipe

Purell Packet

• Extra 2

Mask

Rubber Gloves

Migrastick

Breathe Right Strip

Clinere

Flosser

Insect Repellent Wipe

Traveling drugstore…where do you find room for clothes?  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, spammie said:

Liquid IV is this amazing powder that comes in individual packs you dump in water to rehydrate.  I used it on my last cruise after being "over served" on the first day and also when I had Covid last month.  Great stuff!

Exactly..

When I travel I take a virtual medicine closet with me, with extra amounts of Covid specific meds such as ibuprofen.  In 65+ cruises I've learned the hard way that it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around.  You can't always count on being able to supply in port.  We had a trip to Alaska where I took less, figuring hey, I'm in Alaska if I need something it's a US port and I can find what I want.  NOT.  The ports were sold out of about everything and two of the three of us in our cabin caught bad colds.  On another cruise, pre-Covid, I caught a bad cold with a lingering cough (which is why no matter the rules I will probably forever wear masks on airplanes going forward!).  Couldn't find a cough drop to save my life in the ports (and before I get scolded, yes, I did my best to stay away from people although I wouldn't say I went as far as quarantining per se).  And these days there is the very real, albeit not real high, possibility you could be quarantined in a cabin for days on end and not be able to go out and get meds.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, cruisinsusin said:

most physicians would recommend less than 4000mg/day without alcohol, so less if drinking.

That’s what I get for even suggesting medical advice…..but I did stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, SerraG said:

Is Sudafed not allowed in foreign countries?  I have ear trouble and always have to take it before I fly or whenever I start feeling pressure in them.  

Psuedoephedrine is banned or controlled in many places because it can be used as a precursor to methamphetamine.  You can get other decongestants (though they never are as effective).  Again, it might not be a big deal in nearly every case, but I just don't want to mess with it.

• Thanks 2

Well, my DH likes to take the kitchen sink, so we won't need it.  I take KT tape and my Netty Pot, but will most likely take a reduced dosage of Paxlovid, as it goes out through your kidneys. My doctor said that he wants us to be totally prepared.  I did not realize that there was a lower dosage until a few days ago.  I will also add quite a few  covid tests to my carry-on and suitcase of self and monitored.  In addition, a supply of masks including N95...it is what it is.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, SerraG said:

I often travel with both children and the elderly so I bring a lot of different OTC medications with us.  I know the following list looks like a lot, but I only bring 3-4 doses of most of them.  I cut up the blister packs and put a few of each pill into baggies separated by category.  The whole collection fits into a soft-sided 6"x6" make-up bag.

• Stomach

Bonine

Dramamine

Gin-gins ginger candy chews

Seaband ginger gum

Pepcid AC

Tums

Imodium

Pepto

• Pain/Fever

Advil

Tylenol

Children's Tylenol

thermometer

• Cold/Flu

Nyquil

Dayquil

Benadryl

Sudafed

cough drops

• Ointments

Benzocaine

Bite & Itch Stick

Hydrocortisone

Aquaphor

• Eyes

Contact Case

Blink and Clean

Extra Contact Pack

• Skin

Neosporin

Bandaids

Blister Bandaids (hydrocolloid)

Moleskin

• Mouth

Chloroseptic Tabs

Orajel

Q-tips

Abreva

• Extra 1

Wet Ones

Hairband

Sunblock Stick

$20 Bill

Emory Board

Tampon

Azo

Safety Pin

Alcohol Wipe

Purell Packet

• Extra 2

Mask

Rubber Gloves

Migrastick

Breathe Right Strip

Clinere

Flosser

Insect Repellent Wipe

Can you tell me when your next cruise is? I want to have you as a friend while on board. 😊🥂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Can you tell me when your next cruise is? I want to have you as a friend while on board. 😊🥂

LOL, the traveling pharmacy will be aboard!!!

In health and bon voyage

This is a list compiled by a Roll Call group as a packing list guide.

Aspirin
Anti-diarrheal
Tylenol
Motril/Advil
Excedrin
Allergy (clariton)
Allergy Nasal Spray
Mucinex
Cough Medicine
Probiotic
Anti-diarrheal
Antacid
GasX
Dairy Ease
Airborne
Benadryl
Benadryl Cream
Neosporin
Hydrocortisone Cream
Vitamins
Bandaids
Antibacterial eye drops
Allergy eye drops
Vicks VapoRub
Tums
anti-itch cream
Nose Strips
meds for constipation
Motion sickness medication
  • Thanks 2

Love the posts by @SerraG and @Luvcrusn. But I think most of us dont need 15 different ‘meds’ for our digestive track…..Ha!! 

What I loved on @Luvcrusn’s post was that Monster list was followed by “I’d rather be cruising!!!!”……..perfect end to the entire idea of this thread!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JFontaine said:

Any idea what the medical use of the emergency $20 is? 

I think autocorrect was at work here with your question, but I believe it's a dosage of vitamin C (and some other vitamins) that work as an immune booster similar to Airborne.

46 minutes ago, travelwide said:

We will be sailing away this Saturday on the Equinox! 🙂

I will also say that for almost every trip we’ve taken, I’ve been glad to have my whole medical kit with me.  Blisters, cruise cough, canker sores, upset stomachs, headaches, etc.  Somebody always needs something so  they can get back to enjoying the cruise.  

Edited by SerraG
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

To tip the nurse for getting you in and out quick and fast... LOL

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Okay, here’s a cute little story.  A long time ago, the tooth fairy was very worried she was going to be called into action in the middle of the Caribbean, which is apparently a long trip for fairies to make unexpectedly.  She always left $1 gold coins in exchange for teeth at our house so she asked me to bring it with me, just in case I needed to stand in for her one night.  Well, I didn’t want that gold coin just laying out in the open before it was needed, so I wrapped it in a $20 bill and tucked into the medical kit. 

The tooth fairy has long since collected all the teeth she’s going to get from our house, so the gold coin isn’t needed anymore.  But I left the $20 in case I needed some emergency cash while traveling.  🙂

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, Bo1953 said:

Hello all - I woke up this morning thinking about this and what each of us may or may not pack for our sailings...

I, personally, never pack any non-prescriptions, with the exception of a first-aid kit.

Given the current 'health situation' I was wondering what others may pack 'just in case' or that they understand will help alleviate any discomfort encountered from many situations or potential situations.... so we do not have to go to Sick Bay or on-board store or port store to get common items.

TIA, In Health and bon voyage

Lots of people have given you their lists.  Just also remember to take extra supplies of your prescription meds "just in case".

• Like 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

Lots of people have given you their lists.  Just also remember to take extra supplies of your prescription meds "just in case".

... of an unforeseen quarantine!!! LOL

In health and bon voyage

Here's other incidental lists from a Roll Packing list.

Personal Care Electronics Incidentals

toothbrush Phone Storage Cubes for above bed cabinet
toothpaste Kindle Magnetic hooks/string
dental floss Tablet Towel Clips
waterpik Charging cables Beach Bag
shampoo Multi-port USB hub Sewing Kit
conditioner Adaptor for European outlet Safety pins
body wash Earpods Duct tape
body lotion Camera & Batteries scissors
sunscreen mini alarm clock eyewear repair kit
insect spray Car charger if driving sunglasses x2 in case one gets lost or broken
hairspray   Hand sanitizer
hairdryer   Disinfectant Wipes
comb   umbrella
brush   binoculars
flat iron   lysol spray
curling iron   Tissue packs
deodorant   roll of emergency toilet paper
shaving cream   PooPouri
razor   extra hangers
cotton balls   extra eyeglasses/readers
cotton swabs   straws
band aids