Taking an eMed Covid test before flying home

workstocruise

Has anyone used one of these tests the day before disembarking to fly home?  We are going on our first cruise since early 2020 and how to take this test in my cabin with either my iPhone or iPad is frightening? We are senior citizens  and my DH is technically challenged so he’s no help. I’m concerned about the wifi and keeping my device working for the 15 minute wait.  Celebrity doesn’t seem to offer any support regarding this. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1

The first thing I would suggest is for you and DH to watch some of the videos on You Tube of people actually going through the testing process so you have a good idea of what the steps are.

You will need the NAVICA app and you both will need to create separate accounts & passwords.  

Another option could be to schedule a Covid test after you are off the ship.  Most airports have test facilities and take appointments.  Although this May coast a bit more it could ease the stress of worrying about the on-line testing while on tge cruise.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help.  One of our problems is Celebrity has booked us on a flight home that leaves at 11:15 am so we don’t have a lot of time. We are considering staying over in Amsterdam and flying home the next day.

• Like 1

Jelayne has great suggestions. 

I did a Navica test aboard using my cell phone data on T-Mobile from Southampton and had no problems at all.   I also did one using the Premium Internet and had good connectivity.  I was able to complete both tests and there really wasn't much technology involved. 

The challenge is that you have to be able to place your test in a place after your swab that is visible on the camera for 15 minutes.  I used a laptop so was pretty easy to adjust the cover of the laptop down to a place on the table in front of the keyboard.

If you let others know where you will be flying home with you they could give you advise on local testing if you choose to go that route.

1 minute ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Do Celebrity (for boarding) and Airlines (for flying home) accept this kind of proctored test?  It uses regular OTC Covid test kits.

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjw4ayUBhA4EiwATWyBrrGMaHP4OxJ2wUgQpHDXJa2_tl2ksyPcfB-KlfVGV9G5TDUOkohqiRoCivQQAvD_BwE

I've never used them but from what they say it would be acceptable.   To my knowledge celebrity's only requirement is it must be from a certified lab which they claim to be.

Looking at their site it shows they also do on-site testing.     The requirements of the airlines and cruise line are require a proctored test which they seem to provide.    Would be good to call them and ask.

We used the proctored test from NAVICA when we went on a Celebrity cruise in March.  I believe there is actually a link on Celebrity site for this test.  It is the same as a home test (Antigen) but it is proctored so they actually have sight on you through the computer or phone.  You need to purchase this test ahead of time!  So they can ship it to you in time.  It was fairly simple. Our issue was that we were flying out that morning so there was a time crunch.  We are contemplating flying to Vancouver for an Alaska cruise this summer but it looks like you need to do this test to come back into the US.  Has anyone done this?  This test is also pretty reasonable!  You get two tests for $70.  Airport wanted $150 each!

I liked the Onpoint-testing.com site because it uses regular OTC test kits that I can get for free.  But I am concerned that some might not accept these results.  I don't trust the advertising on-line and wanted some first hand experience.  I am not trying to be cheap but liked the versatility of logging in for an appointment and not having to order the tests ahead of time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I liked the Onpoint-testing.com site because it uses regular OTC test kits that I can get for free.  But I am concerned that some might not accept these results.  I don't trust the advertising on-line and wanted some first hand experience.  I am not trying to be cheap but liked the versatility of logging in for an appointment and not having to order the tests ahead of time.

Check the Celebrity site to see what they require/accept for proctored tests.  

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

You will need the NAVICA app and you both will need to create separate accounts & passwords.  

The Navica app is not required. I have seen multiple posts from people who did the test entirely through emed via their browser with results sent by email. My understanding is the Navica app is only used for storing the digital results. 

• Like 4

The Celebrity website just says:

"The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative."

So I guess any Telehealth representative is good enough.

58 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

The Navica app is not required. I have seen multiple posts from people who did the test entirely through emed via their browser with results sent by email. My understanding is the Navica app is only used for storing the digital results. 

EMed will link to Navica for the test to begin.

You do need to set up an account with Navica before you do the test.

I did the test for  my flight from Madrid last week and it had no issue at all.

One think I would like to add is make sure you bring extra test kit in case the result is inconclusive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, verizon said:

EMed will link to Navica for the test to begin.

You do need to set up an account with Navica before you do the test.

You should also set up an account with EMed. The Navica account credentials are separate.

By the way we always do a standard antigen test to make sure we are OK before we do the proctored one!

We used prenetics and it was an easy process to follow. We prebooked an appointment 24 hours a day appointments available. We received a zoom link. 

We watched you tube videos and also practiced zoom meetings with each other pre test.

When we started our 1st test the man said is there more than 1 person, we said yes and he did both of us together which made it easier.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, workstocruise said:

Thank you for your help.  One of our problems is Celebrity has booked us on a flight home that leaves at 11:15 am so we don’t have a lot of time. We are considering staying over in Amsterdam and flying home the next day.

You can take the test the day before the flight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blackshirt said:

We’re one of those groups that didn’t include the Navica process. 

We bought the Celebrity-approved eMed proctored tests pre-cruise and packed them. 

After getting our negative result via email, I was able to download a copy of it to the United app in order to finish the info needed to obtain a boarding pass for the flight home. Maybe the Navica app is necessary for others, but for us flying on United it wasn’t. 

• Like 1

A friend learned this the hard way - be sure your name in the NAVICA App matches your passport name. A friend goes by her middle name and registered on NAVICA that way. United said they couldn’t take the result since it didn’t match the passport name, so she had to go out and find a second test at the last minute since she only had one Emed test with her. Fortunately, there was a late evening test site near her hotel in Barcelona!

6 hours ago, workstocruise said:

I wonder if we’re on the same cruise. We’re sailing home from Amsterdam too with a flight out at 11:30. (We’re also an older, not-so-savvy tech couple.)

Here’s what I’ve planned. We purchased the tests through Celebrity and are planning to use them late the night before debarkation. It’s been suggested that WiFi on the ship would be more available at that time. (I’ve watched the videos that people have mentioned, and it put my mind at ease.) If for some reason that doesn’t work (e.g., if one of the tests is missing a component), as a back-up plan, I’m scheduling tests at the airport. You pay for them ahead of time (53 euros each), but you can cancel for a refund up to an hour beforehand. We’re also planning to leave the ship as early as possible, carrying our bags ourselves- not ideal, but it gives us the most flexibility.

I hope this helps.

5 hours ago, Tony UK said:

By the way we always do a standard antigen test to make sure we are OK before we do the proctored one!

We used prenetics and it was an easy process to follow. We prebooked an appointment 24 hours a day appointments available. We received a zoom link. 

We watched you tube videos and also practiced zoom meetings with each other pre test.

When we started our 1st test the man said is there more than 1 person, we said yes and he did both of us together which made it easier.

Good luck.

Was your test with eMed (Navica)? We have three people and it will be helpful to know. Thanks.

8 hours ago, lvjbird said:

We used the proctored test from NAVICA when we went on a Celebrity cruise in March.  I believe there is actually a link on Celebrity site for this test.  It is the same as a home test (Antigen) but it is proctored so they actually have sight on you through the computer or phone.  You need to purchase this test ahead of time!  So they can ship it to you in time.  It was fairly simple. Our issue was that we were flying out that morning so there was a time crunch.  We are contemplating flying to Vancouver for an Alaska cruise this summer but it looks like you need to do this test to come back into the US.  Has anyone done this?  This test is also pretty reasonable!  You get two tests for $70.  Airport wanted $150 each!

We did it last Saturday on the ship as we were flying to US on Sunday from Vancouver. I was nervous about the internet but we bought one day of streaming internet with our captains club discount. It worked just fine. One time the agent said he was having trouble seeing us so he just rebooted our picture.
The alternative would be to use cellular as soon as you are close enough to land. Could be done very early in the morning.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MDTrip said:

Was your test with eMed (Navica)? We have three people and it will be helpful to know. Thanks.

Mine was through Project Screen by Prenetics. Lateral flow test with a telehealth video consultation. Cost was £28 each.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:53 AM, VitaminSea53 said:

Do Celebrity (for boarding) and Airlines (for flying home) accept this kind of proctored test?  It uses regular OTC Covid test kits.

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjw4ayUBhA4EiwATWyBrrGMaHP4OxJ2wUgQpHDXJa2_tl2ksyPcfB-KlfVGV9G5TDUOkohqiRoCivQQAvD_BwE

Yes, they are accepted for both cruising and flying.  We've used them for both.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 6:43 PM, MDTrip said:

If you are all using the same phone, you need to log out and then next person logs in to Navica with their ID. Just remember to bring your user IDs and Passwords.

On 5/23/2022 at 8:15 AM, workstocruise said:

Has anyone used one of these tests the day before disembarking to fly home?  We are going on our first cruise since early 2020 and how to take this test in my cabin with either my iPhone or iPad is frightening? We are senior citizens  and my DH is technically challenged so he’s no help. I’m concerned about the wifi and keeping my device working for the 15 minute wait.  Celebrity doesn’t seem to offer any support regarding this. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Read my thread here on CC. It explains a lot. It was a nightmare for us, and my mom and step-dad had a difficult time just installing the app! We ended up talking a real test at the airport. In my thread, I made a few suggestions that might help you.

If you use OnPoint, you make two appointments back to back, and you and hubby can both test at the same time. No need to log off for each test. If you want the same convenience, using any device that allows for video calls, and only want to spend $15 for each test, use this site. It is accepted to board cruises or fly back to US. 24 hour availability. Use your free government FDA approved test.

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2