Taking an eMed Covid test before flying home

workstocruise

4 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

If you use OnPoint, you make two appointments back to back, and you and hubby can both test at the same time. No need to log off for each test. If you want the same convenience, using any device that allows for video calls, and only want to spend $15 for each test, use this site. It is accepted to board cruises or fly back to US. 24 hour availability. Use your free government FDA approved test.

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

I thought the tests kits sold by Celebrity were ‘special’ but have come to realize that any OTC Covid test is eligible for a proctor supervised test. USA residents can get free tests from the government and Medicare recipients can get up to 8 test kits per month for free.  
You just log into one of several proctored testing sites and pay around US $20 and the proctor does a video of you testing just like Emed and they send you an email with the results. 
This way you can have several test kits with you and if one fails, you just pull out another one. 
Such a relief to have back-up. 
just wanted to share. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I read in our papers the other day that cruise lines- especially those cruise lines who cater more to the American passengers ( as X.... )-  are struggling to get their ships full even to a limited capacity. When I read all this THAT is no small wonder.

X- should first of all provide tests for their US- passengers who have to fly home at Debarkation Day- they at least should offer them for a small fee- preferably of course for free. That would be a service worthy of the cruise line Celebrity. " Modern Luxury"- my word- they should not use such Marketin phrases when they can not deliver.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, FirstTeacher said:

I wonder if we’re on the same cruise. We’re sailing home from Amsterdam too with a flight out at 11:30. (We’re also an older, not-so-savvy tech couple.)

Here’s what I’ve planned. We purchased the tests through Celebrity and are planning to use them late the night before debarkation. It’s been suggested that WiFi on the ship would be more available at that time. (I’ve watched the videos that people have mentioned, and it put my mind at ease.) If for some reason that doesn’t work (e.g., if one of the tests is missing a component), as a back-up plan, I’m scheduling tests at the airport. You pay for them ahead of time (53 euros each), but you can cancel for a refund up to an hour beforehand. We’re also planning to leave the ship as early as possible, carrying our bags ourselves- not ideal, but it gives us the most flexibility.

I hope this helps.

I started another thread outlining our experiences on Apex, coming back to Amsterdam and flying out next day. We followed general plan FirstTeacher outlines above.

We took our tests around noon on the last day. With streaming Wi-Fi, the testing went just the same as it did in the hotel before embarkation - minor glitches (actually reading the directions is always a good idea), but we ended up with two negative results.

Our flow-up plan was Test to Fly, we got a prompt refund when we canceled our appt.

The best thing about our experience was that we were finished the night before disembark and didn’t have to walk off our luggage or fret about getting to the airport, which brings me to the new info:

SCHIOPOL AIRPORT IS AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE RIGHT NOW. I would not have a backup plan of testing at airport, just now. Maybe at the airport ?Sheraton? Hotel, which is right on the property. But not in the terminal. Don’t know how long it’s going to last, but there’s a major lack of personnel - baggage, security, etc and the delays are horrendous. Airport/airline employees told of 3-4 hour waits for checkin, wholesale missing of flights. We were Delta Comfort + and Sky Priority, and after we figured we didn’t have to be in the line with hundreds of people that went outside (I’m not exaggerating, never did learn what all those people were waiting for), out checkin was not unusually difficult, but our flight was delayed a couple of hours and we missed our connection in the US.

If I was flying out of Schiopol this summer, I would monitor situation through airport website and airline app - Delta sent us a notification that there might be delays - and plan to simplify your airport time. I think the horrendous lines were for people traveling internally in the EU, or maybe non-KLM, but don’t be afraid to ask before getting in a line. It was a mess.

• Thanks 2

On 5/23/2022 at 10:15 AM, workstocruise said:

Has anyone used one of these tests the day before disembarking to fly home?

We tested mid-day on Wednesday before departing Silhouette on Thursday.  We sat at the tall tables by the World Class Bar, used previously purchased (from Celebrity/Optum) Abbott kits---no problems at all.

Good to hear of all the positive experiences.   We've also tested on-board and had no trouble.

I always bring some of those free kits with us and I have bookmarked a couple of the non-EMed sites that will monitor testing with these just in case of a product failure.   We have 3 Abbot tests left so should be ok.as we will be testing from land.

We are doing the RT to Greenland/Iceland from EWR and it still is not clear if we will need a test to return to the U.S.   Many say you do not need testing arriving by sea but nothing from Celebrity yet.

58 minutes ago, jwlane said:

None required from Caribbean back in February.

I've heard of that on Caribbean and Alaska.   Also UK doesn't require B2B2 testing.   I've read that Italian cruise have had b2b testing but probably an Italian requirement.   This will be the one and only "TransAtlantic" to Iceland and the Next Cruise back.   Since Iceland, Greenland and Canada don't have testing requirements we are hoping there won't be.   

On 5/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, Jim_Iain said:

The challenge is that you have to be able to place your test in a place after your swab that is visible on the camera for 15 minutes.  I used a laptop so was pretty easy to adjust the cover of the laptop down to a place on the table in front of the keyboard.

We bought one of these to hold our phones for the EMED tests.  Fit in our carry on along with our tests and worked very well.  

Amazon.com: UBeesize Phone Tripod, Flexible iPhone Tripod with Bluetooth Remote and Cold Shoe, Waterproof Camera Tripod Stand for Video Recording/Streaming/Photography, Compatible with All Cell Phone/Sony/Gopro : Cell Phones & Accessories

22 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I have one similar and also enjoy the little remote for taking pictures of myself with others using the Remote.

It really helps keeping your phone pointed where you want it for the test. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've heard of that on Caribbean and Alaska.   Also UK doesn't require B2B2 testing.   I've read that Italian cruise have had b2b testing but probably an Italian requirement.   This will be the one and only "TransAtlantic" to Iceland and the Next Cruise back.   Since Iceland, Greenland and Canada don't have testing requirements we are hoping there won't be.   

Jim - Canada does require testing is arriving by cruise ship.  Also to be fully vaccinated and complete the ArriveCAN app.  The app was free and simple (am in Canada now).  We needed to complete the Canada app a second time after a quick round trip to the US and back to Canada.  2nd time only needed to update time and crossing point.  You don't need to test if arriving by ferry or in private vehicle or boat unless randomly selected.  I was the first time.

No problem taking a proctored/telemetry test if you have good wifi or phone service.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

5 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

I hope to take my proctored test with my iPad. Has anyone done this?

We debated this on the ship. Getting my IPad logged onto ship Wi-Fi was a different process than the phone, and it dropped off the Wi-Fi a little more often. Phone takes up less space, which was at a premium in the cabin. We used a phone tripod as described by Jim and Arizona.

In the end, we had used a phone in our hotel room for the first set of tests, so we used it again for the second. If your iPad has a camera that you can get the bar codes in front of while it is propped up, I don’t know why it wouldn’t work?

5 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

We haven't but as long as you are able to angle the Ipad in a way that it can be stable and still for the 15 minutes during the testing you should be fine.  

10 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Jim - Canada does require testing is arriving by cruise ship.  Also to be fully vaccinated and complete the ArriveCAN app.  The app was free and simple (am in Canada now).  We needed to complete the Canada app a second time after a quick round trip to the US and back to Canada.  2nd time only needed to update time and crossing point.  You don't need to test if arriving by ferry or in private vehicle or boat unless randomly selected.  I was the first time.

No problem taking a proctored/telemetry test if you have good wifi or phone service.

Thanks for the information.   Can you point to somewhere where this is posted.  

I'm getting conflicting information from guests on Alaska Cruises -  

My Google Search returned the following which indicates we will have to be tested one day before departure (which is consistent with Celebrity Pre-Cruise Requirement but not for debarking the vessel.

image.thumb.png.4b9660f31883a0f8d47c9accac534772.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Yes, we always use our iPad, but it is helpful to have someone there to hold it for you. I hold it for my husband and he holds it for me because you do have to change the angle. 

35 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

Yes, we always use our iPad, but it is helpful to have someone there to hold it for you. I hold it for my husband and he holds it for me because you do have to change the angle. 

We plan on using our iPads…I can see holding it for each other for initial instructions but then do you place it in a tripod thing or something to point at the test for 15 minutes?? A bit nervous about the entire process. 

21 minutes ago, durberville said:

We plan on using our iPads…I can see holding it for each other for initial instructions but then do you place it in a tripod thing or something to point at the test for 15 minutes?? A bit nervous about the entire process. 

Don't be nervous! It is easy and they will tell you exactly what to do. At the beginning they want to see the test lying flat on the table in front of you, and then when you're doing the test they want to be able to see your face so it's just a matter of moving the screen down and then up.  During the 15 minutes they do not monitor the test so we just stand it up right. You just have to be ready after the 15 minutes when they come back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Don't be nervous! It is easy and they will tell you exactly what to do. At the beginning they want to see the test lying flat on the table in front of you, and then when you're doing the test they want to be able to see your face so it's just a matter of moving the screen down and then up.  During the 15 minutes they do not monitor the test so we just stand it up right. You just have to be ready after the 15 minutes when they come back. 

I  WOULD NOT recommend not keeping the camera on the test.  

While the agent isn't on the line I've been told by someone who use to work for Navica that it is filmed and that you could invalidate your test if they discover you didn't keep the camera on the test.    It is a security measure to make sure you don't mess with the test.

The instruction on the screen specifically indicate that you must keep the camera on the test during the 15 minutes.

Of course, each can do as they choose but I have a tendency of following instructions and rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Good to hear of all the positive experiences.   We've also tested on-board and had no trouble.

I always bring some of those free kits with us and I have bookmarked a couple of the non-EMed sites that will monitor testing with these just in case of a product failure.   We have 3 Abbot tests left so should be ok.as we will be testing from land.

We are doing the RT to Greenland/Iceland from EWR and it still is not clear if we will need a test to return to the U.S.   Many say you do not need testing arriving by sea but nothing from Celebrity yet.

We are bringing emed and some of those govt freebies as back up. Can you share the proctored no Emed sites that you have bookmarked? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I  WOULD NOT recommend not keeping the camera on the test.  

While the agent isn't on the line I've been told by someone who use to work for Navica that it is filmed and that you could invalidate your test if they discover you didn't keep the camera on the test.    It is a security measure to make sure you don't mess with the test.

The instruction on the screen specifically indicate that you must keep the camera on the test during the 15 minutes.

Of course, each can do as they choose but I have a tendency of following instructions and rules.

We have done this multiple times and have always put the iPad back on the prop, and have never had a problem. When they reconnect you , you must show the bar code again, which assures them that it is the same test. 

9 hours ago, djh said:

We are bringing emed and some of those govt freebies as back up. Can you share the proctored no Emed sites that you have bookmarked? Thanks!

This site was mentioned on a thread a few days ago.  I have no experience with them but like Jim I bookmarked it as a backup.

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/