The Daily for Thursday 05/26/2022

richwmn

Today is Sally Ride Day, Dracula Day, and World Redhead Day

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - wonton soup with mushroom zucchini meatballs
Drink of the Day - The Wheel
Wine of the Day - Primus 2019 Carmenère (Apalta)
Destination of the Day - Dalian, China

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Zuiderdam   Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 05/27

Geiranger, Norway

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Zaandam   08:00 - 16:00

Juneau, Alaska

Noordam   08:00 - 18:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00
Koningsdam   10:00 - 18:00

Naples, Italy

Oosterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Olbia, Sardinia Italy

Nieuw Statendam   09:00 - 19:00

Skagway, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 21:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Portland, OR eta 5/27

0526World.thumb.png.f5b125bbe2eadb00717ed806823661e3.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

Since I won't be online meaningfully until I'm set up in my new room I'll preview the Thursday lists.  @grapau27 I'll be thinking of you and may have a look at things on my IPAD-mini but if it calls for much of a response that will wait until I have a laptop running.

Today’s care list:

Robb Elementary School
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Wildfire near durango scots
kazu dealing with banking failures
Grapau27 knee x-ray results
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
From the rotation:
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17
Ukraine
St. Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Judypops
Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
cunnorl weekend wedding trip to Naples(FL)
Mamaofami’s grandson
ottahand7 arrival at their cabin
catinmylap DH successful surgery

Successful surgery for Jim Cruzin Terri DH
2 days for Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam 5/28 to 6/4)
Bon Voyage StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess 5/26 to 6/29)
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31), Atexsix (Discovery Princess to 5/29), and kochleffel (NCL Jade to 5/29)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A rainy, windy morning here.

Interesting days, Sally Ride was quite a woman.  Not a fan of Dracula.  I'm not a redhead.

Good quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink is tasty.  The wine sounds good.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is 62°F cloudy with an occasional light shower here.

I was told I have moderate osteoarthritis in both my knees from the x-rays report at the doctor's and an appointment has been made for steroid injections.

We went along to the beach afterwards.

Thank you Rich and Roy for today's daily and lists.

Dracula was based at Whitby abbey which we have been to many times.

Sensible quote.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.IMG_20220526_111056.thumb.jpg.fe738ca85a2c8a1a7e2079257f7eab5a.jpgScreenshot_20220526_114453.thumb.jpg.8c11ed8bc403ca51d9749a038b3cd865.jpgScreenshot_20220526_114009.thumb.jpg.b6ef0992293035a6c8c7e1524578d857.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Sally Ride is certainly worthy of celebration - first woman and I think still the youngest American to go into space.  I’ll pass on Dracula Day and DH always said red heads can have temper and a wicked sense of humour (yes my hair can go red in the sun - LOL).

Love today’s quote and intrigued by the meal and wine suggestions for today.  Looking forward to hearing about them.

I’m stuck to the house and the phone until I get the call from the technician  that he will be here for my smoke alarm (part of the security system) which has to be replaced (expired).  Time slot is 8-5 - ugh- so I hope he comes earlier versus later 🤞 

5B7B3F8F-BAEF-46D5-8A79-86A5BF71E2DC.jpeg.d8d291ef057d6a0d48590a3667773ebc.jpeg

Nevertheless - I’m going to try to get some clean up done outside today.  I’ll have to watch out for the sun 😉 

59FD96A2-6CD9-49BD-B0CD-2EA47C293E76.jpeg.b8b31e3413edaba906cc4f9aef9beef0.jpeg

Arm is just a bit tender and I’m a tad achy but I’m sure that will dissipate quickly.  In any case the booster is worth it, at least, to me.

B3FC6CE4-3243-4B22-A506-A4BFED0CFB52.thumb.jpeg.d0f69ab79b52ac672058a8d2ce694857.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!

E291C4E5-3B8E-4E9D-8DF8-F0420692F324.jpeg.e3284db46d774144ac8dee49e6adfc4a.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Good morning, everyone.

Bright sunshine greeted me this morning but they are forecasting rain for later in the day.  Yesterday I did manage to trim most of the neighbor's forsythia that hangs over my yard.  I also got a hair cut and did a load of wash, so there was some productivity to the day.  Today is to the gym and out to lunch.

Today's meal was a challenge.  There were plenty of websites that had recipes on them for the meal, but they were all the same recipe.   Anyways, this meal is a great one for those watching their carbs and vegetarians.   https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Wonton-Soup-with-Mushroom-Zucchini-Meatballs-Epicurious

279023019_wontonsoup.jpg.d464265dc81a10ef564820b948bfc7ae.jpg

This next one is for the carnivores among us.  https://nomnompaleo.com/wonton-soup

218105821_wontonsoup2.thumb.jpg.084da10d2eb2cd16a0b9832f577f1c3b.jpg

This last one is also for the carnivores.  You make the wontons with ground pork and use the zucchini as noodles.  https://www.surlatable.com/zucchini-noodle-wonton-soup/REC-425027.html

2027077618_wontonsoup3.png.473d657cfda77c87bead8d5d4f32ba8f.png

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and those victimized by gun violence.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a peaceful and happy day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the daily report and lists and recipes.  Sally Ride was an amazing person.  Shouldn’t it be Dracula night?  I hope all redheads have a wonderful day today!  The quote is so true.  I like today’s meal suggestion.  Haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and the grieving families of those murdered in Texas.  Cheers to everyone celebrating events today. Bon voyage @StLouisCruisers!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

The Wheel:

Ingredients
2 parts Kilbeggan® Single Grain Irish Whiskey
½ part Aperol® Aperitif
¾ part Lime Juice
¾ part Simple Syrup
2 dashes of absinthe

Instructions
Combine ingredients, shake with ice and serve on the rocks.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 7.39.10 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning  to all. I was  a redhead before turning gray and like @kazu, my DH also remarks on both my quick temper and  wicked sense of humor. I will salute Sally Ride and Dracula. We have not been to the port and will pass on the recipe.

We have had several  days of  Tana doing poorly and coupled with the school shooting in Texas ,the general mood of the household was low. We did have a better night last  night. Hopefully things will continue  to improve.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope the steroid injections help and that you get some pain relief.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, have a wonderful cruise!

Terry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. It is a lovely morning here. Yesterday’s graduation was a wonderful event. All the more precious because of the horrors of Uvalde. My grand nephew made the honor roll, and graduated with a credit in high school algebra. He worked hard for that one. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of us, while on vacation. Morning Dailyites. Off to the gym, then tonight I head to a friend’s. This is the beginning of a two week period with 3 birthday celebrations, a get together with one of the instructors at my former gym and an anniversary! Ooh, and a graduation celebration! I may need a nap or two. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Primus 2019 Carmenère (Apalta)

This Chilean wine has “hints of Band-Aid and latex”. Doesn’t that make you want to run out and try it? But it has an excellent rating, and a price that makes it easy to try & if necessary, use it as cooking wine. Several online distributors with prices starting at $9.98.

91 Wine Enthusiasts 

Ripe plum and blackberry aromas come with ample oaky wood grain scents as well as hints of Band-Aid and latex. A flush palate is what Apalta is known for, while this warm-year Carmenère offers baked black fruit flavors touched up by chocolaty oak. A slightly sticky and grabby finish confirms the wine's heft. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I was curious about today’s meal suggestion and based on @dfish pictures and recipes I’m sure I’d like it.  @kazu my nephew is a red head and he can be a handful at times.  I like today’s quote.  Off to a busy work day.
Coffee anyone?

image.thumb.png.b8630b0fa862fa2cdcd347f3872df4ca.png

• Like 32
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all. I was  a redhead before turning gray and like @kazu, my DH also remarks on both my quick temper and  wicked sense of humor. I will salute Sally Ride and Dracula. We have not been to the port and will pass on the recipe.

We have had several  days of  Tana doing poorly and coupled with the school shooting in Texas ,the general mood of the household was low. We did have a better night last  night. Hopefully things will continue  to improve.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope the steroid injections help and that you get some pain relief.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, have a wonderful cruise!

Terry

Thank you Terry.

It might be over 2 weeks before I get the steroid injections.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

We are getting ready for another round of thunderstorms this morning. Yesterday morning the lightning strikes got too close for comfort. It was like being on a bombing range. So no early walk for now.

Our meals this week are dictated by what’s in the freezer. Last night it was turkey patty’s. With hurricane season approaching we like to keep the freezer low on food in preparation for possible power outages. Per reports it appears it will again be a strong hurricane season.

Being unpacked, mail sorted out etc. today will be another day of catch up. First on the list is a load of laundry, some yard work if weather allows and I would like to get a walk in.

Thanks Rich for the report and all who make the Daily interesting. Enjoy the day.

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. It is a lovely morning here. Yesterday’s graduation was a wonderful event. All the more precious because of the horrors of Uvalde. My grand nephew made the honor roll, and graduated with a credit in high school algebra. He worked hard for that one. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of us, while on vacation. Morning Dailyites. Off to the gym, then tonight I head to a friends. This is the beginning of a two week period with 3 birthday celebrations, a get together with one of the instructors at my former gym and an anniversary! Ooh and a graduation celebration! I may need a nap or two. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Primus 2019 Carmenère (Apalta)

This Chilean wine has “hints of Band-Aid and latex”. Doesn’t that make you want to run out and try it? But it has an excellent rating, and a price that makes it easy to try & if necessary, use it as cooking wine. Several online distributors with prices starting at $9.98.

91 Wine Enthusiasts 

Ripe plum and blackberry aromas come with ample oaky wood grain scents as well as hints of Band-Aid and latex. A flush palate is what Apalta is known for, while this warm-year Carmenère offers baked black fruit flavors touched up by chocolaty oak. A slightly sticky and grabby finish confirms the wine's heft. 

Many congratulations to your grand nephew for his graduation and honour roll yesterday Ann.

Graham.

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Hope you are not in too much pain while you wait for the shots.

Thank you Melanie.

I am trying to sleep on my back at night now which has eased the pain a lot.

My moderate hip osteoarthritis means while sleeping on my side my knees are touching each other when sleeping which is painful when I wake up.

Graham.

FB_IMG_1653483797590.jpg.752e49665025443f2ea993a11c820a6f.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Haha 5

My hair was strawberry blond when I was born.  My Mom said I was a fiery child.  As I got older, my hair got darker, with blonde highlights from all the time I spent in the sun.  As my hair began to turn gray, I dyed it red.  My DH loved it but keeping up with red hair is a chore.  I now get blonde highlights to cover the gray, only a hint of red remains.  I will always think of myself as a red head,it's a state of mind!

18 Redhead memes ideas | redhead memes, redhead, redhead quotes

• Like 35

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

The doctors have ruled out that my brother suffered a heart attack. He has a therapist working with him to get him to swallow as he has only had a feeding tube. Also he is only semi-coherent with "Yes or No" responses. The plan is another 3 to 4 days being hospitalized and then moved to a rehab facility.

It is the week for contractors. Yesterday we had our porch ceiling repaired. The builder had used interior drywall on the exterior porch ceiling. Too much expansion/contraction for material that doesn't. The contractor  recovered it with PVC bead board sheeting. Scheduled for today we have a plumber coming to replace the kitchen faucet. We didn't notice  that it was leaking until finding water damage in the family room ceiling on the lower level. It is a Delta brand and unlike other brands, when they leak the water runs down the pipingand hose instead of onto the counter. A poor design and obviously we are replacing it with a different brand.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning!  Our local news grades weather by numbers.  I'm on channel 11, a great weather day is listed as an 11.  Zero would mean the end of the world....today is a 4.  We are expected to get heavy rain, strong winds, and maybe a tornado.  But right now, it's just gray.  There is a huge German Shepard running lose in the neighborhood,  I just yelled at him from the window to get out of my yard.

The work problem is resolved, and tomorrow or Saturday morning will be my last day with that particular campaign.  I still have one patron who's order was blown out of the system , and I feel it was unresolved.  She thinks the sale went through, but it did not, and I don't want to leave it that way. I have left messages, but patrons cannot call back.  A call back was set up for last night, and then someone from above dumped all the call backs so that no one got them.  It's time to get away before I tear out all my hair.

I love wonton soup, the recipes look good, but I'm not that great a cook, this looks like work.  I do make a great corn chowder. Feisty red heads scare me...when they get mad.  One of my friends is a red head , but her hubby says it's not her real hair color.  I've known her for 22 years, and whether it's real or not, she is a red head. 

306e369f51eb9db38117b79aecc94da6.gif

I hope you all have a wonderful day.  For those of you on cruises, enjoy!  For those who are finally seeing family and friends, enjoy!  For those who have safe trips and new adventures, enjoy!

Cherish people in your lives!  

e59eac3af9414436249f59d28111b900.jpg

• Like 25
  • Haha 9

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Melanie.

I am trying to sleep on my back at night now which has eased the pain a lot.

My moderate hip osteoarthritis means while sleeping on my side my knees are touching each other when sleeping which is painful when I wake up.

Graham.

Graham...sleep with a pillow between your knees....it keeps your hips in alignment and protects your knees...just FYI....:)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2