Harmony Backed Into a Pier Docking in Jamaica This Morning

Lots of speculation - we cannot really get the whole picture from one angle taken on a cell phone.

Hopefully the ship is okay and it will not affect any future sailings.

Selfishly, hearing (reading) about all of these mishaps - accidents and fires does not seem like good omens in light of my upcoming cruise.

Edited by Travel R

This was posted in a blog website for Royal Caribbean.  Not sure if I can link to it here so I won't.

In a statement by Royal Caribbean, the ship incurred very minor damage of no consequence as a result of the incident, "During arrival into Falmouth, Jamaica, Harmony of the Seas made contact with an extension part of the dock."

"There were no injuries to guests or crew and only minor cosmetic damage to the ship’s stern. The sailing will continue as scheduled."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

This was posted in a blog website for Royal Caribbean.  Not sure if I can link to it here so I won't.

In a statement by Royal Caribbean, the ship incurred very minor damage of no consequence as a result of the incident, "During arrival into Falmouth, Jamaica, Harmony of the Seas made contact with an extension part of the dock."

"There were no injuries to guests or crew and only minor cosmetic damage to the ship’s stern. The sailing will continue as scheduled."

Of course they are gonna tone it down.   Watch this video and then make an your own conclusion lol.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

20220526_144352.thumb.jpg.1b77fa41e95dc822d7b478f7a87caec6.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-144325_Maps.thumb.jpg.6003726c858a2098c81e05fab8cf2662.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-144256_Maps.thumb.jpg.ffab259bb25a1956c7f2598845bee109.jpg

Pretty rough being a Harmony captain, I guess🤔

The captain, I am sure is quite pissed off at the Jamaican pilot right now for hurting his ship, if that is what happened.  Still don't know who is to blame.  Trying to get a good look at it, but I can't see it from the aft walking deck on 5 sitting here in Labadee right now.   Could hang over the edge, but I don't want to be called "Rose" and worry Jack was not there to pull me back over.  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I beat once they fix the ship.  Lol.  JK.  

I’ve been hunting all over and can’t find any pics of the damage.   

We tried to lean way over the aft on the walking track on deck 5...still could not see it.   Officers out of the last mooring buoy here in Labadee were out there looking at the damage.  

20 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

The pilot is just an advisor for the local waterways. Do you really think they bring in local guys who are capable of driving all those different mighty ships??

Yes. As a matter of fact, in the past I have spoken to various Captains before and was told there often seems to be some disagreement as to who will be in control. One of the Worlds Largest Ship episodes featured this happening on the bridge.

Edited by rolloman

Our neighbor Trym was the captain of oasis but now on radiance I think.  The pilot doesn’t ever take control of the ship. He tells the captain but never can take control. These things happen more than you know. He will not be fired. 

49 minutes ago, renza said:

Our neighbor Trym was the captain of oasis but now on radiance I think.  The pilot doesn’t ever take control of the ship. He tells the captain but never can take control. These things happen more than you know. He will not be fired. 

Indeed, but add this onto the SpaceX mishap in January. 

Also seems like he left Harmony right after that. 🤔

1 hour ago, renza said:

We’ve been on many cruises, on several cruise lines, on a sea day there was a scheduled event, usually in the theater, where the captain and his staff have a q&a session. On almost everyone, the question about the what the pilot actually does when he boards the ship. In every instance, the captan said at no time do they take control of the ship. They share their expertise on the port and how it should be handled. The captain has the final say.

• Thanks 2

Ventured off the ship at Labadee this morning.   Divers were gearing up to check for any damage under the water line.   They did not stay long...apparently just a safety thing.  

Still could not see anything as we walked out onto the pier here at Labadee, though I tried.  Walked out to the beach at Barefoot beach to see if I could see it from that angle.  Absolutely nothing visible.   There is a huge concrete?...bumper along the edge...I think that took the brunt.   Outbound tie up in Falmouth took the real hit.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

We’ve been on many cruises, on several cruise lines, on a sea day there was a scheduled event, usually in the theater, where the captain and his staff have a q&a session. On almost everyone, the question about the what the pilot actually does when he boards the ship. In every instance, the captan said at no time do they take control of the ship. They share their expertise on the port and how it should be handled. The captain has the final say.

That’s what I said

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Ventured off the ship at Labadee this morning.   Divers were gearing up to check for any damage under the water line.   They did not stay long...apparently just a safety thing.  

Still could not see anything as we walked out onto the pier here at Labadee, though I tried.  Walked out to the beach at Barefoot beach to see if I could see it from that angle.  Absolutely nothing visible.   There is a huge concrete?...bumper along the edge...I think that took the brunt.   Outbound tie up in Falmouth took the real hit.  

Thanks for the good news Pat - I just cancelled my Amazon order for Flex Seal that I was having sent to the ship in care of Mr. Bucky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

10 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Thanks for the good news Pat - I just cancelled my Amazon order for Flex Seal that I was having sent to the ship in care of Mr. Bucky.

Not needed.  They already have plenty of duct tape onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well all I gotta say is Capt Johnny sure can pick the right weeks for vacation.

He was off the ship when the SpaceEx said they had to scrub launch due to a cruise ship.

To be fair there were two ships in the area.

Still good planning on Capt Johnny's favor

54 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

OMG....I remember that stuff!!  😄  Funny commercials for sure!

Nah...just send us the helicopter to fly us up to meet up with you in Alaska.  😉 

My son also has trouble backing a boat.  Guess I should have taken the conn!

Boat.thumb.jpg.8200c9c8b718308a589233a7ed088563.jpg

JIm

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I keep a roll with me at all times....it's pink!!  😄 

If it's supposed to move and it doesn't, spray some WD40 on it.  If it's not supposed to move and it does, slap some duct tape on it.  Add in a pair of vice-grips and some bondo and you can fix just about anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Those mooring docks sticking out remind me of the NEW ones placed in the Port of Miami for Virgin’s Scarlett Lady. 

They are just behind RCL Pier G, and close to the turnaround basin. 

When I first saw them earlier this year I thought, wow, that’s close and could be hit.

Good thing Miami never gets higher wind speeds.

Eddie

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Well all I gotta say is Capt Johnny sure can pick the right weeks for vacation.

He was off the ship when the SpaceEx said they had to scrub launch due to a cruise ship.

To be fair there were two ships in the area.

Still good planning on Capt Johnny's favor

I was in the surveillance room. There was one ship in the hazard area and it was Harmony. Whatever else you heard is wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

OMG....I remember that stuff!!  😄  Funny commercials for sure!

Nah...just send us the helicopter to fly us up to meet up with you in Alaska.  😉 

You gonna fly a helicopter from Florida to Alaska? YOU CRAZY LADY!!! 🙂

• Like 1