Harmony Backed Into a Pier Docking in Jamaica This Morning

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, but they rarely drive

I did not know that.  Then what’s the purpose of bringing one aboard?  
just to show the way?  

5 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

just to show the way?  

Cash cow for the port. 😉

Pilots are ridiculously well paid. But mainly there to advise

And ship's Captain's are not keen on relinquishing control anyway. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

just to show the way?  

The pilot is just an advisor for the local waterways. Do you really think they bring in local guys who are capable of driving all those different mighty ships??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HicksRA said:

And Carnival Freedom caught on fire……. 😳

And an exterior painting project on the Carnival Magic made people sick enough for the Coast Guard to investigate (so if trouble always comes in threes, that makes 3 ships and we should be all done now (knock on driftwood LOL):

https://www.wtkr.com/news/coast-guard-looks-into-carnival-cruise-ship-passengers-feeling-sick-from-fumes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

That'd be some pretty poor captaining at that point to back into those.  Hitting from the side at least would be somewhat explainable (winds, current, etc)

It absolutely looks like a wind issue from the side while approaching the pier from behind so I would not make such judgements.

59 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

The pilot is just an advisor for the local waterways. Do you really think they bring in local guys who are capable of driving all those different mighty ships??

I didn’t know, so yes I did.  But now I know different.  
that’s why they say no questions a dumb question even in our cold age.  Lol 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

It absolutely looks like a wind issue from the side while approaching the pier from behind so I would not make such judgements.

They were 100 feet off course. Wind wouldn't cause that. Plus there was no evidence they even knew they were off course. They plowed right into it.

Edited by smokeybandit

4 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Yes.  Many times they will have a pilot boat bring aboard a local captain to bring ship in.   

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, but they rarely drive

Actually, they do "drive", if by that you mean they "have the conn" (i.e. give orders).  Most places require a pilot by law, and he is given authority to conn the ship by the Captain and by the country.

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

just to show the way?  

As a non-employee of the cruise line, the pilot (and they are rarely "Captains") is not allowed to touch any control on the ship.  However, the Captain rarely handles the helm or engine telegraph either, except when closely alongside the dock.  One person on the bridge "has the conn", meaning that person is allowed to give orders to the bridge crew for steering, propulsion, etc.  The pilot and Captain typically work together, as the pilot has local knowledge of the harbor, and the Captain has the knowledge of the ship and its handling characteristics.  The Captain has the responsibility, but whoever has the conn has the authority.  This is just like when the Captain is not on the bridge while underway, the officer of the watch "has the conn" and the authority to handle the ship.

3 hours ago, doppelganger2621 said:

Expert in the port, changes in sandbars, currents, etc. 

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Again, many, many pilots "drive" ships they are not familiar with in all sorts of situations.  If the Captain feels the pilot is in error, they can discuss it if there is time, or the Captain can relieve the pilot of the conn and assume it himself.

• Like 4