Harmony Backed Into a Pier Docking in Jamaica This Morning

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd like to know what small private dock was hit since I don't recall there being any around the cruise dock

We've been to Jamaica several times.  There is no small private dock near the pier as that is a cruise port only so smaller ships/boats do not dock there.  It was probably one of the mooring points as they were already backing in.  Just google, zoom in and do satellite view.  There is no small dock there, but there are a couple of mooring points at the end of the point.  

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, BND said:

We've been to Jamaica several times.  There is no small private dock near the pier as that is a cruise port only so smaller ships/boats do not dock there.  It was probably one of the mooring points.

There is actually a private marina just to the right of the Falmouth pier (when facing the pier from the entrance, and when we were there in April there really wasn’t a lot of distance between Harmony and that set of docks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There is actually a private marina just to the right of the Falmouth pier (when facing the pier from the entrance, and when we were there in April there really wasn’t a lot of distance between Harmony and that set of docks.

That is way over where it's not dredged deep enough for a cruise ship to even be.  There's no way they hit those.  They'd hit bottom first. 

As I said above, google Falmouth, zoom in and do satellite view.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BND said:

That is way over where it's not dredged deep enough for a cruise ship to even be.  There's no way they hit those.  They'd hit bottom first. 

The video I saw was clearly that it took out one of the mooring points. There's two at the end of the dock, and they hit the furthest one out.

Edited by doppelganger2621

6 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

The video I saw was clearly that it took out one of the mooring points. There's two at the end of the dock, and they hit the furthest one out.

That's what I said it had to be.   I haven't seen the video yet that showed that but it makes the most sense, actually the only sense when you know what is at the port.  

Edited by BND

5 minutes ago, BND said:

That's what I said it had to be.   I haven't seen the video yet that showed that but it makes the most sense, actually the only sense when you know what is at the port.  

this sounds like what I saw. Some black thing came loose and was being pulled into shore that got knocked off. ..very technical lol but I saw picture might have been the black thing to cushion against the pier got knocked off.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

this sounds like what I saw. Some black thing came loose and was being pulled into shore that got knocked off. ..very technical lol but I saw picture might have been the black thing to cushion against the pier got knocked off.

Yes, probably a bumper.

39 minutes ago, BND said:

I never said they hit that complex, only that there was one there. Your initial statement was that there were no other piers or docks anywhere near the pier

48 minutes ago, BND said:

We've been to Jamaica several times.  There is no small private dock near the pier as that is a cruise port only so smaller ships/boats do not dock there.  It was probably one of the mooring points as they were already backing in. 

DSC00488.JPG

33 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

That'd be some pretty poor captaining at that point to back into those.  Hitting from the side at least would be somewhat explainable (winds, current, etc)

How the heck does that happen?   I’ve heard Falmouth can be challenging due to wind/current, but one would think that is accounted for by the captain?   Wonder how extensive the damage is from that.