I know this is a silly question

I know this is a silly question but have anyone ever packed a portable carbon monoxide detector for your cruise?  A friend of mine who is a travel agent told me many people are asking about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning In light of the US citizens that died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the sandals resort. Until now this is something that I have never thought about when I cruise. I don't know how ships are designed when it comes to toxic fumes,  but do you all think this is something I should consider?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tntt said:

I know this is a silly question but have anyone ever packed a portable carbon monoxide detector for your cruise?  A friend of mine who is a travel agent told me many people are asking about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning In light of the US citizens that died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the sandals resort. Until now this is something that I have never thought about when I cruise. I don't know how ships are designed when it comes to toxic fumes,  but do you all think this is something I should consider?

Yes, silly. But you decide to go to Sandles, take it along.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LadyShiva said:

I would not personally carry anything radioactive in my luggage.  Too much scanning needed to board <transportation methods> for officials to get very excited about.

Radioactive? Why would there be radioactive components in a carbon monoxide monitor?

While I wouldn't bring one on a modern cruise ship because I don't think it's needed, I do think it's a good idea to take one on a vacation if you will be staying in an older/foreign hotel, airbnb, or other rental. In general, the risk is very low and CO sources are generally easy to determine so not the end of the world if you don't have one.

CO detectors are not radioactive so shouldn't be a problem (unless they have a lithium-ion battery which may be an issue on aircraft). Some smoke detectors are photoelectric as well.

It's really sad that a "resort" does not already have CO detectors in their rooms and tragic that there was a source of CO. It's in the tropics, right, no heater? This also happened in Mexico near Tulum not too long ago.

15 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Radioactive? Why would there be radioactive components in a carbon monoxide monitor?

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://osrp.lanl.gov/Documents/Smoke%20Detector%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwift9PPrIr4AhXiFjQIHcZoC64QFnoECAgQAg&usg=AOvVaw30Qcj6NUGZ3zk_DBOh8Ri9

Smoke detectors have radioactive material.  In my house, we use combo smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors up top (and single carbon monoxide detectors at lower outlet levels).

My state has had AirBNBs without smoke or carbon monoxide detectors.

Edited by LadyShiva
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I think that's a highly extreme measure.

CO2 poisoning is due to lack of ventilation. Cruise ships have the best ventilation for tourism type venues other than airplanes.

Just so folks know, CO can be dangerous even when outdoors if in proximity to the source, such as a boat's exhaust. Risk of exhaust backdraft while running. Known issue for boaters who swim near a boat with running engine. Risk of passing out/drowning. It does happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you feel like bringing a CO2 detector, bring one.  They don't take up much space, and if that's going to give you peace of mind, do it.  Personally I think it's a total waste, but, you do you.

BTW, CO2 detectors don't have radioactive material.  Some Smoke detectors do.  The OP wasn't asking about smoke detectors.  

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I think that's a highly extreme measure.

CO2 poisoning is due to lack of ventilation. Cruise ships have the best ventilation for tourism type venues other than airplanes.

Now I’m wondering, clearly the ships have smoke detectors all over.  Are there also CO2 detectors spread throughout the ship?   One would assume these are also required?

Is there any source of CO on a modern cruise ship that could ever reach passenger spaces? Understand in engine room and mechanical spaces, but aren't those pretty well isolated as far as ventilation?

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting thread. The original poster, Tntt, has a good point and if not too inconvenient, might be good to have a CO detector for travel. Note the overall risk is low.

(By the way, CO is the hazard we're discussing here, not CO2. CO is deadly at 150 parts per million and dangerous in lower quantities above 75 ppm.

CO2 tastes good when mixed with water and is generally not a risk until concentrations exceed 80,000 parts per million. Very rare unless you're hauling dry ice in a sealed vehicle, defective submarine, defective spacecraft, closed and sealed area, have a faulty rebreather, work around large quantities of it, or are in a low spot near an active volcano.) )

I don't think cruise ships have CO detectors in cabins. Not sure if they have them in public areas. Cruise ships have smoke detectors in every cabin but they don't make a sound when they alarm. They only signal the bridge.

Sources of CO can be: faulty water heaters, gas dryers, ovens, grills, fire places, engines that burn fuel, any combustion/burning, welding.

Edited by cruisinfly
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GJustice said:

Is there any source of CO on a modern cruise ship that could ever reach passenger spaces? Understand in engine room and mechanical spaces, but aren't those pretty well isolated as far as ventilation?

Covid is dead, Monkey pox can not generate any panic, so we now need a new worry..

This was many years ago ... but...

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Aboard Celebrity Cruise Ship

Six people, maybe more, have been sickened by carbon monoxide aboard the cruise ship Celebrity Mercury docked in Baltimore McComas street ...
Edited by taglovestocruise

21 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Covid is dead, Monkey pox can not generate any panic, so we now need a new worry..

This was many years ago ... but...

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Aboard Celebrity Cruise Ship

Six people, maybe more, have been sickened by carbon monoxide aboard the cruise ship Celebrity Mercury docked in Baltimore McComas street ...

Despite what that site says, this incident didn't involve passengers.  It was six crew members working on a welding project in the engine room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cigar King said:

If you feel like bringing a CO2 detector, bring one.  They don't take up much space, and if that's going to give you peace of mind, do it.  Personally I think it's a total waste, but, you do you.

BTW, CO2 detectors don't have radioactive material.  Some Smoke detectors do.  The OP wasn't asking about smoke detectors.  

Haven't seen you posting much lately. Guess we are reading different threads. Glad to see you are well. 

12 hours ago, Cigar King said:

the OP wasn't asking about CO2 detectors either,  carbon monoxide is CO

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm curious if the OP even understands what generates CO.... and if so, how on earth do they expect it to get into their cruise ship stateroom?

That's what I was wondering.  No fumes to create CO can be created by electric water heaters, a/c, heat.  

There are no carbon monoxide detectors installed, nor required, on cruise ships.  The diesel engine exhausts are a source of CO, but that is why the exhausts go all the way up the funnel, and the AC fresh air inlets are down low, typically around the promenade deck.  Even a leak in the exhaust system would be isolated from passenger space ventilation, simply by distance.  Hot water on cruise ships is not heated by electricity, but by steam, from boilers, and these again could be a source of CO, but just like the engines, they exhaust up the funnel.  Another thing, CO is created by incomplete combustion, and with the fuels used on ships, incomplete combustion leads to black smoke as well as CO, so it becomes visible, and therefore correctable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3