Any chance of C & A level adjustments/changes coming anytime soon?

Considering how they just made some adjustment to benefits and still are trying to find their feet, I wouldn't expect a whole heck of a lot of changes coming anytime real soon.

That said, they do have the new Loyalty Director, so I wouldn't be surprised to see adjustments along the lines of what may things look appealing to the broader, younger audience (because that's how the lion's share of adjustments have been in recent years).

I agree that not all changes are reductions.  The drink vouchers have been almost universally regarded as an upgrade or neutral for so many cruisers.  Shoot, it seems like it's now the most treasured of all perks.

40 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Why just pinnacles? Shouldn’t other groups have to return badges/pins as well? Why do we always pick on pinnacles? 
m

LOL Okay, you can keep your badge since it means so much to you.  You can have my pins too, they're still attached to the cards they came on anyway.

He did say all levels would be reset, not just pinnacle.  He mentioned pinnacle pins because you very rarely see anyone were any of the pins.  I can only think of one person who wore his in the suite lounge.  Mentioning pinnacle does not mean you are being picked on.  Look at it differently, what about the pinnacles that constantly point out they are pinnacle in their posts, what should that be considered?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Why just pinnacles? Shouldn’t other groups have to return badges/pins as well? Why do we always pick on pinnacles? 
m

They are welcome to my pins, but they'll have to come clean out my house to find them.

Now that I think of it, maybe a reset isn't so bad after all!

38 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Many companies have changed their loyalty programs over the last several years, and I mean over the last decade, not the last two years "because...COVID".  Most of them have one thing in common: They tie it to an affinity credit card.  You might still get some loyalty benefits, but to reap the biggest rewards, you have to use their branded credit card.  I would not be surprised to see RCCL do something along those lines.  They could change the points earning structure so that if you don't pay with their card, you don't get as many points.  Or, they could add points based on spending rather than nights on the ship, and give double points for charging everything on the card.  Transferring the cost and management of loyalty programs to the extremely profitable credit card issuers (Chase, Citi, CapOne, BofA, etc.) is a huge benefit for companies like Disney, Marriott, and it could translate very well to RCCL.  

How does this transfer the cost of the loyalty program.  Don’t all of these just allow you to build points via the CC charges?   You don’t have to be a card holder to be in the Marriott program for example.  Isn’t that correct?  All of these companies still have manage their programs and provide the varying benefits.   I’m not sure I’m following the advantage here from that perspective?  

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

Everyone else throws them away, that’s why.  😂😂.

Seriously though, I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone wearing a pin other than pinnacles although I know a few do do here and there.  On the other hand, I seem to see a lot of those every time I’m in the suite lounge.  

25 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Considering how they just made some adjustment to benefits and still are trying to find their feet, I wouldn't expect a whole heck of a lot of changes coming anytime real soon.

That said, they do have the new Loyalty Director, so I wouldn't be surprised to see adjustments along the lines of what may things look appealing to the broader, younger audience (because that's how the lion's share of adjustments have been in recent years).

I agree that not all changes are reductions.  The drink vouchers have been almost universally regarded as an upgrade or neutral for so many cruisers.  Shoot, it seems like it's now the most treasured of all perks.

Don’t kid yourself.  Drinks have always been the most treasured perk for most  in whatever form they gave them away.  

10 minutes ago, topnole said:

Don’t kid yourself.  Drinks have always been the most treasured perk for most  in whatever form they gave them away.  

Absolutely.   The diamond benefit saves us approx $300 on a 7 day cruise.   Thats quite a bit.  No perk is better than that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I agree with the poster above who guessed that the point structure would be the same but the benefits might (at some point) change. And of course change usually equates to reduce

n

I'm not so sure about that... The most recent significant change, the 4/5/6 drink vouchers, is a significant improvement to the program. Instead of crummy wine and a limited selection beers you can now get almost anything you want, whenever you want.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, topnole said:

Everyone else throws them away, that’s why.  😂😂.

Seriously though, I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone wearing a pin other than pinnacles although I know a few do do here and there.  On the other hand, I seem to see a lot of those every time I’m in the suite lounge.  

I still wear my D+ pin. 

On my robe.

In the Jammer

On Formal night

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, topnole said:

Big fan of priority boarding and free internet as well.

Suites, not part of Royal Suite Class, don't get free internet😉

37 minutes ago, topnole said:

How does this transfer the cost of the loyalty program.  Don’t all of these just allow you to build points via the CC charges?   You don’t have to be a card holder to be in the Marriott program for example.  Isn’t that correct?  All of these companies still have manage their programs and provide the varying benefits.   I’m not sure I’m following the advantage here from that perspective?  

As it is now, RCCL funds the entire cost of the C&A program.  The amenities (however small in value) for the various levels all come off the bottom line.  When a company partners with a credit card issuer for a "rewards program", the bank funds it. 

I probably should have used Delta in my example instead of Marriott.  Both do have "loyalty" programs you can join without the credit card, but by using the card, you get much more out of it.  Using their branded AMEX card gets 6x points for spends at Marriott.  Without that, you'd need to spend $30,000 just to get enough points to stay 5 nights at Disney World at the Swan, off-season.  With Marriott's credit cards, you also get suite lounge access, streaming wifi, early/late check-in, and some other discounts.  Delta is similar, plus you get free checked bags and better seats.  

What I could see is RCCL doing something like Marriott with an affinity card.  You get a point for every dollar on the card, but extra points when you use the card on RCCL purchases.  Maybe they have a "cardholder lounge" that replaces the Diamond lounge and you trade points for free drinks.  Having the card might give you benefits similar to The Key.  Of course that's just my armchair speculation, but it's how the rest of the world is going with these "loyalty" programs.

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

As it is now, RCCL funds the entire cost of the C&A program.  The amenities (however small in value) for the various levels all come off the bottom line.  When a company partners with a credit card issuer for a "rewards program", the bank funds it. 

I probably should have used Delta in my example instead of Marriott.  Both do have "loyalty" programs you can join without the credit card, but by using the card, you get much more out of it.  Using their branded AMEX card gets 6x points for spends at Marriott.  Without that, you'd need to spend $30,000 just to get enough points to stay 5 nights at Disney World at the Swan, off-season.  With Marriott's credit cards, you also get suite lounge access, streaming wifi, early/late check-in, and some other discounts.  Delta is similar, plus you get free checked bags and better seats.  

What I could see is RCCL doing something like Marriott with an affinity card.  You get a point for every dollar on the card, but extra points when you use the card on RCCL purchases.  Maybe they have a "cardholder lounge" that replaces the Diamond lounge and you trade points for free drinks.  Having the card might give you benefits similar to The Key.  Of course that's just my armchair speculation, but it's how the rest of the world is going with these "loyalty" programs.

BoA already does that. Every Royal Caribbean purchase gets you dbl points

Points are redeemed for gear, discounts, OBC, or free cruises

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

Just now, John&LaLa said:

BoA already does that. Every Royal Caribbean purchase gets you dbl points

And having that in place would make the transition away from C&A and to a card-funded program so easy.  I remember when Disney did this.  They had the original corporate-sponsored Magic Kingdom Club, then the membership-based Disney Club that offered various discounts and perks, all to be canceled when they went with with the Chase rewards card.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against it or even predicting it - I just find it intriguing to see what might be possible.  

• Like 1

Please don’t give them any ideas. Not interested in the credit card thing again.  We never paid interest so they don’t want us anyway.  

Royal if you’re reading,  we are sticking with you because of the perks we get.  Otherwise I guarantee we’d be shopping lines. This is why we have 9 more cruises booked.  In the future there are a few itineraries Royal doesn’t do and we’ll have to stray but otherwise we aren’t going anywhere. I’m still hoping for another shorter world cruise in the future with Royal too. 

• Like 4

The problem with those affinity cards is they are totally US-centric. RCI would still need to keep a loyalty program going for their thousands of customers who are not US resident. Abandoning their non-US customers like that would be commercial suicide.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

The problem with those affinity cards is they are totally US-centric. RCI would still need to keep a loyalty program going for their thousands of customers who are not US resident. Abandoning their non-US customers like that would be commercial suicide.

That's a good point.  I also hope they do not switch to an affinity credit card as it would be an end to our loyalty to Royal.  I have an AMEX card that I've carried for over 40 years s and I use it for everything possible, paid in full each month.  I don't even have to pay the annual fee as I am grandfathered into a special program they had years ago.  The rewards are not great - maybe 1.5% value at best but they treat me well.  I have a BestBuy Citibank Visa I use for interest-fee major purchases there, but that's it.  I work in the ARM industry and know all the dirty little inside secrets of the credit card companies and the tactics they use to soak their "customers" for money.  I don't play those games.

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

My Magic 8 Ball is about ~ 62 years old. Thank you Santa.🎅

Yep, agreed, they definitely were around by the 1960’s (not that I would know personally 😂🤣)

To the OP - no one, but no one, is taking my vouchers.

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Yep, agreed, they definitely were around by the 1960’s (not that I would know personally 😂🤣)

To the OP - no one, but no one, is taking my vouchers.

I'm older than my Magic 8 Ball, but it is wiser. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

And having that in place would make the transition away from C&A and to a card-funded program so easy.  I remember when Disney did this.  They had the original corporate-sponsored Magic Kingdom Club, then the membership-based Disney Club that offered various discounts and perks, all to be canceled when they went with with the Chase rewards card.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against it or even predicting it - I just find it intriguing to see what might be possible.  

Removing the C&A program in favour of BoA card-funded program would be unfair on non-US guests as it is open to US residents only.

I have challenged Royal in the past and been told there are no plans to introduce this outside the US

6 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I heard that points for all C&A members will be reset to zero and Pinnacles will be asked to return their shiny badges….

Everyone will have to start over.  

reset everyone except SuperMario, I bet Royal wouldn't dare touch his points

7 hours ago, molly361 said:

My cabin attendant told me that he heard from the busboy who head from one of the deck hands that changes ARE indeed forthcoming😇

Bueller, Bueller?🤣

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Big fan of priority boarding and free internet as well.

Suites, not part of Royal Suite Class, don't get free internet😉

Agree.  But most folks never make it to pinnacle, so D+ is the max benefits they ever get.   So for 99% of upper tier (Diamond and up), the drinks add the most value.  Certainly wish free internet was included for D++, but 2 nights is better than nothing.  For pins, internet is a much bigger perk no doubt.   Priority boarding too.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 11:43 PM, wikoffclan said:

Periodically some cruise lines make changes to their Loyalty levels. Prior to Covid, I was scheduled on 3 Solo cruises which would have easily gotten me to Diamond in 2020. Now I'm 7 points short of Diamond and have a 4 day Solo cruise scheduled for November. This will give me 8 points and put me over the edge. UNLESS they make a change to C & A before November. I'm hoping to reach Diamond before my cruise with DH on Radiance in December.

I reached Platinum on Carnival with 10 cruises right before they switched their program to days sailed. I didn't get double points when I sailed solo on a 16 night TA on Voyager in 2012. They changed the program to double points for solos post-2012. So I'm concerned there might be changes coming up.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about potential changes to the C & A program. Appreciate any insight/info

Just a thought, did you ever think of contacting RCI with your question? It amazes me sometimes when someone posts a random question online thinking they will get a better answer than contacting the cruise line directly.  

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I still wear my D+ pin. 

On my robe.

In the Jammer

On Formal night

I like to wear my crystal blocks affixed to a chain around my neck.  It really makes a statement and builds your core.   

• Haha 4