Emerald Princess British Isles COVID.

majortom10

Just been announced by the Captain due to number of COVID cases onboard in guests and staff masks will be worn at all times except when eating and drinking. Not surprised lifts say recommend max of 6 in lifts and to wear masks and to wear masks in theatre and nobody has adhered to it with sometimes 10 in lifts. The biggest risk though is tenders Princess recommend wearing masks and people are ignoring it and Princess have been cramming people on tenders like sardines. 

• Thanks 4

Identical issues on 5/21 sailing. But no change in directives from the captain. No masks, stuffed lifts and tenders. Was it any wonder that multiple busses arrived at Radisson for folks to quarantine? Conference room was jammed — estimating 50-70 people with a like number of spouses and traveling companions jammed in another room. I tested + on the ship testing day and missed Normandy. Totally asymptomatic but it didn’t matter. DH stayed with me in hotel quarantine as he is my Prince. But we’ve sweated out his coming up + and my having to return alone while he would suffer alone through another10 day quarantine period. So THANK GOD for the change. WE WILL FLY BACK TOGETHER on Sunday! No test for him (not that he has any symptoms and I never developed any either.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Big problems on emerald april 16 and May 1 sailing with covid...i was amazed at how little protocols were followed especially after several busloads (7 busloads was reported } of  positive  passengers  who had boarded april 16 were taken away on May 1 in Southampton.   The captain actually reduced the covid restrictions for the May 1 sailing having just witnessed busloads of positive people from the previous sailing.  It does not surprise me in the least that Emerald continues to have problems as from what I saw the elevators were packed and few if any of the passengers wore masks or followed any suggestions and of course there was zero enforcement.  Reckless is a word that comes to mind.

If the last goodness knows how many cruises have had it onboard then surely it must be being spread by the crew. They need to sort it out and make it mandatory to wear masks and enforce it. Stop people going into the venues if they haven’t got masks on and also say not allowed in lifts or tenders without a mask. And that means a mask covering your mouth and nose.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dockman said:

Big problems on emerald april 16 and May 1 sailing with covid...i was amazed at how little protocols were followed especially after several busloads (7 busloads was reported } of  positive  passengers  who had boarded april 16 were taken away on May 1 in Southampton.   The captain actually reduced the covid restrictions for the May 1 sailing having just witnessed busloads of positive people from the previous sailing.  It does not surprise me in the least that Emerald continues to have problems as from what I saw the elevators were packed and few if any of the passengers wore masks or followed any suggestions and of course there was zero enforcement.  Reckless is a word that comes to mind.

Five busloads from the May 21 Emerald arrived at hotel.

It's not as serious anymore ....life is a risk ...no more cruise booked for us with this overreaction of rules 

Ive had it a mild cold so no more money off me ?

Even the cdc thinks it's not serious if you don't need a test to fly in ....

And what about the hepa filters which are the same as planes supposed to be installed by cruise lines ...same system but not ok for cruise lines ....I always caught a cold on a plane ...?

Well just another nail in the pine box for cruising with these continuing never-ending rules ...

Edited by fishnchips
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, fishnchips said:

no more cruise booked for us with this overreaction of rules 

I won't cruise until this is a thing of the past.  I've got a 28-day cruise booked for Dec'23 and if there are still reports of mask requirements being invoked mid-cruise, I'll be canceling.  

As for it being an overreaction....  didn't the CDC announce a couple of days ago that they are now recommending wearing masks when traveling DUE TO MONKEYPOX!  45 cases in the USA, no deaths and it's not easily transmitted, and they are recommending masks?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Just been announced by the Captain due to number of COVID cases onboard in guests and staff masks will be worn at all times except when eating and drinking. Not surprised lifts say recommend max of 6 in lifts and to wear masks and to wear masks in theatre and nobody has adhered to it with sometimes 10 in lifts. The biggest risk though is tenders Princess recommend wearing masks and people are ignoring it and Princess have been cramming people on tenders like sardines. 

Out of interest how full is the ship?

8 hours ago, mnocket said:

I won't cruise until this is a thing of the past.  I've got a 28-day cruise booked for Dec'23 and if there are still reports of mask requirements being invoked mid-cruise, I'll be canceling.  

As for it being an overreaction....  didn't the CDC announce a couple of days ago that they are now recommending wearing masks when traveling DUE TO MONKEYPOX!  45 cases in the USA, no deaths and it's not easily transmitted, and they are recommending masks?

We are on the Island Princess now and mask are required in all public settings, no sitting at bars, and I am sure there will be quite a few sick ones when we reach London.  You walk down the halls and the little tables they have outside the cabins where passengers have Covid keep increasing daily.  

Nice ambience when you walk by red bio-hazard waste bags in the hall ways and empty styrofoam food containers.  

Cruising is really not much fun when you have to be on constant alert about Covid.  We will be canceling our 4 cruises we have booked this year on Princess and spend our money on vacations that are much lower risk for contacting Covid than cruising.  The inconsiderate and "the rules do not apply to me" passengers do not help the situation either.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Would easily say 95%....most passengers it seems do not want to experience quarantine on the ship.

Quarantine is NO FUN....miss all the ports and spend your cruise in a "luxury prison"....those that ignore the protocols might behave a little more responsibly if THEIR cruise gets ruined...but of course many think it will not infect them and they can just ignore it...from the beginning there has been a disturbing number of people who bought into the "it's all a hoax theory" pushed by a variety of brain dead fools.  There are still a lot of unpleasant consequences of catching covid in spite of what many want to believe....especially for older people with pre existing conditions.

Edited by dockman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, junglejane said:

How much are people adhering to the new mask requirement? Any enforcement?

There is no enforcement on Emerald until today only recommendations which most have ignored.

• Thanks 1

Just seems an over reaction. 

You can travel anywhere in Europe if you have Covid, and from this weekend you can fly to the US with Covid.

Why this draconian need to quarantine everyone on a ship, but not anywhere else in the world? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dockman said:

There are still a lot of unpleasant consequences of catching covid in spite of what many want to believe....especially for older people with pre existing conditions.

Who should not be on a cruise.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We were on the 9 May Emerald sailing and when we checked in we received a letter detailing these requirements. Obviously they have been relaxed in the two sailings since then.

My observations were that for our sailing mask compliance as the per requests was good. Certainly very good compliance on the tenders and in the theatre. Still didn't stop Covid cases on the ship though.

Now that the US has caught up with most of the world and not requiring testing to return, it must soon be time to just be like the UK and have no requirements/restrictions. We just spent 10 days there after our Emerald cruise and it was great not to ever have to worry about masks. Of course, if people have personal health reasons to keep wearing masks then do so. If you are worried about Covid on cruises, then don't cruise. JMO.

14 hours ago, leck57 said:

We were on the 9 May Emerald sailing and when we checked in we received a letter detailing these requirements. Obviously they have been relaxed in the two sailings since then.

My observations were that for our sailing mask compliance as the per requests was good. Certainly very good compliance on the tenders and in the theatre. Still didn't stop Covid cases on the ship though.

Now that the US has caught up with most of the world and not requiring testing to return, it must soon be time to just be like the UK and have no requirements/restrictions. We just spent 10 days there after our Emerald cruise and it was great not to ever have to worry about masks. Of course, if people have personal health reasons to keep wearing masks then do so. If you are worried about Covid on cruises, then don't cruise. JMO.

Ridiculous statement.  How about "if you do not want to be around a ship full of Covid FOOLS" you should not cruise.  A little more specific.  

There are consequences on Princess and they will put you in quarantine if you test positive. They do strive to protect their passengers and crew.  They would probably rather have group of passengers who adhere to their protocols than those who don't.  The crew is not going to stop wearing mask anytime soon.  

I am so surprised by those that are so burdened by having to wear a little mask and turn it into a pitty party.  Makes you wonder how much they can endure in life when things get really tough?  Probably not much from the sound of it.  

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6

One issue with Princess is they have packed their ships in Europe a lot more than some other lines.

Our Sky trip end of March was running high(~70% capacity) which caused social distance issues 
Masks were back as it was just after the TA that had loads of positive cases 

Most were decent enough to mask up but there were a number that would push into elevators and try to share space in the buffet and lounges squeezing into spaces

The ex UK cruises were cheap for UK bookings so lots of UK people have taken the opportunity to try out Princess, not a real problem as we(UK) don't have any isolation rules just have to avoid getting tested on the ship and end up in covid prison.

The next Emerald on 14 June(Tues) was <£1k Princess + 

Enchanted was priced at £100pppd for a balcony with P+  when they moved it to Southampton.

looking at the Emerald total inside P+  booking today seems UK are sill on the deals

eg.  20 July US $3988  £2158($2654)

Now the US travel rules have been relaxed I think the US pax will take less care on avoiding Covid as they no longer have to test to go home.

Going to be interesting to monitor the cough rates against a mostly masked cruise just a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

We are on Emerald now. Was very surprised at just how quickly Covid spread throughout the ship. Two of our extended travel group are in quarantine and yesterday our neighbors in the next cabin were picked up and moved. We will likely avoid cruising until things calm down. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fishnchips said:

It's not as serious anymore ....life is a risk ...

o Even those with little or no symptoms can end up with long-term Covid.

o Even those with little or no symptoms can spread the virus to other people who might not be as lucky.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8