Table For Two On Apex

Raxter54

I guess my wife and I don't fit the traditional cruise style since meeting new people isn't our top priority. We sail to relax and reconnect with each other. We like to go about the ship during the day, doing different activities. In the evening, we like to get a table for two in the MDR and talk about our day's adventures and what's on tap for tomorrow. Looking at deck plans for the Apex, I noticed there are numerous two tops, but alot of them seem to be about a foot part. Are the maitre 'ds in the MDRs flexible on seating requests? Is there a way to contact them ahead of the cruise with seating requests? Just curious....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

I noticed there are numerous two tops, but alot of them seem to be about a foot part. Are the maitre 'ds in the MDRs flexible on seating requests?

As the cruises return to full capacity, the ability to achieve much privacy/separation in the MDR will be going away.

No harm in requesting a two top, but I wouldn't expect there to be much opportunity for a guarantee of nobody being seated within conversation distance if that is what you were hoping for...

• Thanks 2

0E636233-3C72-42A5-93AF-CED493B9D1FB.jpeg.7139b91ed6d4a535c32032c38489701f.jpegC19CEA91-81E9-4992-8100-A5F9331EC676.thumb.jpeg.4143c2553d4e9e41fcb22ddc18226a3f.jpeg898EFB58-6A9B-416C-A7F1-95A7F33C1858.thumb.jpeg.a25c703ecaa2a9e9d02ed2d2a94d989f.jpeg6FEFAC80-8439-4127-881D-F47A63E67D0E.thumb.jpeg.c82508ba0e6e79f4a4cad18632142543.jpegEven though we have select dining, I usually make reservations prior to boarding as it can lessen the wait time.  When we check in with the host, we ask for a table for two and have always been accommodated.  That being said, the two -tops are very close together, some about 6” from the next, some a little more.  I don’t recall any isolated two-tops in any of the 4 MDR’s on Apex, but since our sailing was at 40% capacity, they were seating at every other table.  As @Mark_Tsaid, as capacity increases, the ability to space out disappears.

Edited by bama4cruisin
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

As the cruises return to full capacity, the ability to achieve much privacy/separation in the MDR will be going away.

No harm in requesting a two top, but I wouldn't expect there to be much opportunity for a guarantee of nobody being seated within conversation distance if that is what you were hoping for...

Well, if nothing else, I hear the buffet food is pretty good on Celebrity 😉

2 hours ago, Raxter54 said:

I guess my wife and I don't fit the traditional cruise style since meeting new people isn't our top priority. We sail to relax and reconnect with each other. We like to go about the ship during the day, doing different activities. In the evening, we like to get a table for two in the MDR and talk about our day's adventures and what's on tap for tomorrow. Looking at deck plans for the Apex, I noticed there are numerous two tops, but alot of them seem to be about a foot part. Are the maitre 'ds in the MDRs flexible on seating requests? Is there a way to contact them ahead of the cruise with seating requests? Just curious....

As soon as you board, head to one of the 4 MDR's & speak with the maitre'd.

In March we were 2/3? full & only twice were seated RIGHT next to another 2 top & we didn't make specific requests.

If you eat early or late you may have a better chance of your request being met.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always eat in  Luminae as we book suites.  That being said, the two tops are close together.  We chose whether we want to talk to the people seated next to us or not.  If you do not wish to talk to the people seated at the table next to you in the MDR or Blu or Luminae, a simple good evening said, and then return to your private conversation.  

• Thanks 1

On Summit now. Many tables are very close together. We don’t like that. We insisted that we wanted a table for 2 alone. On first day, make it known and they will accommodate. Dinner we got an assigned table for 2. Lunch and breakfast can be tricky. Just tell them what you want.  We did sit inches away twice and hated it.  While many people like share tables, we don’t.  Not comfortable eating close to strangers especially during a pandemic. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

On Summit now. Many tables are very close together. We don’t like that. We insisted that we wanted a table for 2 alone. On first day, make it known and they will accommodate. Dinner we got an assigned table for 2. Lunch and breakfast can be tricky. Just tell them what you want.  We did sit inches away twice and hated it.  While many people like share tables, we don’t.  Not comfortable eating close to strangers especially during a pandemic. 

Then why are you on a cruise today.  Sort of the same as grocery shopping on a Friday afternoon or going to see a movie.  

My TA told me be flexible or stay home.  Think it was good advice. 

Hatred is an very terrible thing.  I hope you were just uncomfortable.   Much better.

• Like 4

My wife and I dined at 2-tops on Apex, and yes some tables were relatively close but in all instances, no one struck up a conversation.  All quite just the 2 of us. 

unless as you enter or sit, if you intentionally make eye contact  and acknowledge neighbors, no one initiated any contact. 

kind of how it is in most restaurants. 

So unless you are discussing very sensitive subjects in a public place, not an issue. 

den

we made pre res for the 4  mdr dining  plan on EDGE for each night at duif restaurants...a  tedious process but dh did it.  

We dine early and always had a great pvt  table..usually by a  window.. (great sunsets)  in the smaller venues or were tucked into a corner in the larger restaurants. No issues...

On  the first night, which is a bit disorganized,  we were seated at a  table for two that was in a long line with other diners..We did  not like  it and avoided that arrangmenent,,,you can ask for what you prefer.

In BLU  tables are close together.. but you can be   pvt or  as sociable as u choose

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just repeating exactly what the OP said.  As one who had grandparents that experienced hatred in Europe before WWII I take the use of that word very seriously. 

Am sorry my comment bothered you.

Sorry, guess I must have missed the word "hatred" in their post. My bad...

• Like 2

I can understand the two-top table closeness.  Last cruise on HAL the tables were very close.  I found if you exchange a simple smile and nod most people will get the fact that you don't wish to converse.  

I remember our first cruise in 1983 on Carnival.  What, we have to sit with another couple at a 4 top that were strangers.  Yikes.  

• Like 1

My husband and I were on Apex in April, when the ship was operating at about 70-75% capacity.  There appeared to be an adequate number of tables for 2, although most were extremely close to one another (10-15 inches apart).  The dining rooms were generally quite busy, making it difficult to provide social distancing, but even when they were not busy, our requests for a socially distanced table were ignored.  Other than this, we had a wonderful cruise.

Our dining room experience this past week on the Summit was quite different.  During breakfast and lunch,  requests for a table that didn't abut others were always cheerfully fulfilled.   In addition, on embarkation day, the person assisting with reservations suggested that if we changed from anytime dining to the late seating, we could be seated at the same stand-alone table every evening, and she found us a wonderful table for two in front of a large window.  I would suggest checking in with the dining staff as soon as possible on the first day,  to see if they might be able to help you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

I cruised aboard the Celebrity Apex during the last week of April 2022 as a solo cruiser. I made reservations in advance of the cruise for a different venue each night (each of the four main dining rooms plus three of the specialty restaurants). All of my reservations were for a table for two. This worked out well for me. It is true that many of the tables for two are close together. I chatted with people at neighboring tables some evenings but not others. If you don't want to talk to people at neighboring tables, I think they will be respectful.

On some evenings, the tables next to my table were not occupied. The likelihood of people being seated at a nearby table probably varies by the dining time and the number of passengers on the particular cruise. lf it is important for you to have a table that is not near other occupied tables, I suggest talking to the person at the host desk at the entrance to the dining room. 

I greatly enjoyed the Celebrity Apex (stunning ship) and I am booked on the Celebrity Beyond for February 2023.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am going to put on my "snob" hat (please forgive me).  You are on Celebrity which is a decent mass market cruise line.  This means the space ratios are reasonable but far from spacious.  In the restaurants,  tables (especially 2 tops) tend to be close together because there is a limited amount of space.  If you want more spacing and less crowding you might consider booking the much more spacious luxury lines (i.e. Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, etc).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

On my previous Celebrity cruise I sent an email to the dining room admin for that particular ship and requested a 2 top and he made it happen. Not sure who is the dining room admin for Apex though. I first sent a request to celebritydining@celebrity.com and it was unanswered. Someone here posted the exact admin and his direct email and he made it work. Got an answer within 24 hrs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am going to put on my "snob" hat (please forgive me).  You are on Celebrity which is a decent mass market cruise line.  This means the space ratios are reasonable but far from spacious.  In the restaurants,  tables (especially 2 tops) tend to be close together because there is a limited amount of space.  If you want more spacing and less crowding you might consider booking the much more spacious luxury lines (i.e. Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, etc).  

Hank

We are lucky enough to be able to afford this Celebrity cruise for our 50th wedding anniversary. Would have to mortgage the house to afford the cruise lines you listed 😉

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, Raxter54 said:

Well, if nothing else, I hear the buffet food is pretty good on Celebrity 😉

We were in a SV on the Apex last November, and spent most evenings eating up at the buffet, as we very much enjoy our privacy. However, what made it special was that we ate outside in the aft area of the ship. It was great eating outside under the stars with very few, if any, eating anywhere near us. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 8:22 PM, Raxter54 said:

We are lucky enough to be able to afford this Celebrity cruise for our 50th wedding anniversary. Would have to mortgage the house to afford the cruise lines you listed 😉

First, congratulations on your 50th.

We will be on the Apex, next spring, for their transatlantic sailing. While we do enjoy engaging in conversations during our daily cruise activities, we do enjoy having our meals in private. We are Almost always seated in close proximity to other diners and have mostly enjoyed a cordial nod, or hello, before continuing our respective conversations. Most people will acknowledge your body language and pleasant demeanor while declining a conversation with them, or so we have experienced so far. 

I hope you have a wonderful celebration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1