Do CD's really impact your cruise experience?

On 6/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, Aquahound said:

CDs aren't just what you see on stage.  If you enjoyed the entertainment, events, and activities on your cruise, then the CD did have an impact.

Yep, that is the value of a good CD.  The ones that think they are headliner entertainers I can do without.   Maybe a good CD should be seen but not heard very much.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rudeney said:

I don't remember any CD's except one, because he made a very bad impression on us, before we knew who he was.  His name was Richard (I don't recall his last name, but his first name, or at least the short version of it, fit him well). 

After we boarded, we were exploring the ship and walked through the fitness center, where he was exercising on a stationary bike.  It was windy outside and other passengers would come in from an outside door.  He was obviously aggravated that the breeze was interrupting his workout, so he locked the door.  A few more passengers tried to open the door, and another passenger inside walked over and unlocked it.  We watched him throw a hug fit, cursing and screaming and then he re-locked the door.  Later that day, we say him introduced as the CD.  He may have done a good job, but we could not forget that first impression.  

Oh my god! 

On 6/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, homedepot124 said:

The CD can make a huge difference when you have a great one like John Blair - and his wife Katrina.  They are heads and shoulders above all of the other CD's.  And John is the only CD we have seen recently who actually does a show on the ship with his Neil Diamond show.  The only other one I can remember who actually did a show was John Gresham on Celebrity with his Eagles show. 

We just got off of the serenade and he was awesome.  He has such energy.  Now my next goal is to sale with Marc walker aka bing bong.

On 6/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, DonnaK said:

We've had some dynamic CDs.  On our last cruise, Mike Whitte seemed to be everywhere, warming up the crowd, and even joined the Classic Rock tribute band on a few tracks!   Dru Pavlov would host special activities, such as Seinfeld, Friends and Sports trivia, complete with fun re-enactments of classic scenes.  Dynamic CDs also schedule extra live music, such as having the headline musical act perform a bonus show in a smaller venue, or have the featured singers of the production shows perform their own acts.  We enjoy participating in activities such as trivia and live music, and really appreciated having these additional special activities to attend.     There was always something going on that we wanted to do, and we would move from venue to venue throughout the evening.

On the other hand, we've been on cruises where their seemed to be nothing to do, lounges empty for long periods of time in the evening, activities felt "old" and lackluster.  Boring and ineffective cruise directing, for sure.  

That’s so true.  Just off of serenade and for a small ship there was a ton of trivia, game shows, and the shows were great.  John is such a great cruise director 

I really like to participate in activities so I think a good CD is a great part of the cruise. We’ve had Ken Rush a few times and I really liked him. On Oasis back in 2010 there was a bald Canadian man who was hilarious, wish I could remember his name, he had a great morning show. Also Jamie was really funny! I definitely think they add to the overall appeal of the vacation! 

Just been off the Brilliance of the Seas and our Cruise Director was Jamie Fentiman.  As a Brit, he put together a great Jubilee celebration on our sea day with activities all throughout the day. I wonder if it drove some of the other nationalities on board crazy, but it really was a lot of fun. 

I rarely take note of the cruise director but find that you are more aware of them on smaller ships as they tend to be the "performers" who are effectively part of the entertainment crew. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, amby6063 said:

I really like to participate in activities so I think a good CD is a great part of the cruise. We’ve had Ken Rush a few times and I really liked him. On Oasis back in 2010 there was a bald Canadian man who was hilarious, wish I could remember his name, he had a great morning show. Also Jamie was really funny! I definitely think they add to the overall appeal of the vacation! 

Alan

On 6/12/2022 at 6:55 PM, motheroftwocats814 said:

We are pretty avid cruisers and of all the cruises we have been on I can remember about 3-4 CD's names.

Other cruises I don't recall EVER seeing the CD or hearing any announcements from them.

Does the CD make an impact on your cruise experience?

It certainly doesn't for us.

Activities staff are the key to all our great cruises! These guys are trying become CD! Loyal to RCL and Diamond and separate elite on celebrity but recently the NCL bliss and gem were outstanding with activities 20,000 steps and more a day dancing and dancing theme parties and fun.

Back on adventure May RCL silent disco and karaoke every night, Boring! Ncl we loose weight from activities and eat too! RCL not so much! 

On 6/13/2022 at 3:44 AM, baelor said:

The idea of a CD seems a bit confusing to me--RCI is an established company, so surely there are clear expectations about entertainment etc.  I would assume that most CDs, to the extent they appear to be in charge of entertainment and guest satisfaction, do mostly the same stuff.  That is, mostly competently make sure that the entertainment is running smoothly.  Is there really a significant amount of variation on ships with 5k+ people?  That seems odd.

I've wondered how much the CD does because it seems like the schedule is the same week after week except for who is the new comedian, etc.

42 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

I've wondered how much the CD does because it seems like the schedule is the same week after week except for who is the new comedian, etc.

Good morning everyone. 

just wanted to drop in and help provide insight on what the CD does these days as there are some common misconceptions. 

To give you an idea, I logged 410 hours in the month of February this year. 

a typical 1st sea day looks like this for me

7:45am-8:30am - finalize compass for next day

8:30am - 9:30am - HD meeting

10:00am - announcement 

10:05am-11:00am - top tier event

11:00am - noon walk areas (adventure ocean, sports, pool deck)

noon-12:30pm - lunch

12:30pm - 2pm - admin work, compass, future cruise work, evaluations, budgets and ordering, group approvals etc. 

2:00pm-3:00pm - break (gym)

3:15pm-5:00pm - more admin work

5:00pm-5:45pm - guest log meeting

6:00pm-6:30pm - dinner

6:30pm-7:00pm - mingle before show

7:00pm-10:45pm - shows (I normally watch at least 1 show per night per venue as I have to write reports) on Oasis class I normally am running back and forth all night between the theatrical venues. 
11:00pm - midnight - ensure HUSH or what ever else is up and running smoothly 

midnight- 12:45am - clean up any emails that need addressing 

this is in a perfect world, what it doesn’t account for is any HR related items from crew berthing, par levels, interviews, promotional package work for my mid-managers and staff. Also any issues with venues or activities that I host. Plus whatever else gets thrown out way on a daily basis. 

While the CD role has changed over the years, especially with the complexity of the newer and bigger ships (way more admin) we still want to have that positive impact on the guest experience. Know if you don’t see us it’s not because we are sipping champagne and chilling on the pool deck, but likely up to our eyeballs in work making sure the cruise vacation experience goes as smoothly as possible. 

happy cruising all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, djmike said:

Good morning everyone. 

just wanted to drop in and help provide insight on what the CD does these days as there are some common misconceptions. 

12:30pm - 2pm - admin work, compass, future cruise work, evaluations, budgets and ordering, group approvals etc. 

7:00pm-10:45pm - shows (I normally watch at least 1 show per night per venue as I have to write reports) on Oasis class I normally am running back and forth all night between the theatrical venues. 

this is in a perfect world, what it doesn’t account for is any HR related items from crew berthing, par levels, interviews, promotional package work for my mid-managers and staff. Also any issues with venues or activities that I host. Plus whatever else gets thrown out way on a daily basis. 

While the CD role has changed over the years, especially with the complexity of the newer and bigger ships (way more admin) we still want to have that positive impact on the guest experience. Know if you don’t see us it’s not because we are sipping champagne and chilling on the pool deck, but likely up to our eyeballs in work making sure the cruise vacation experience goes as smoothly as possible. 

happy cruising all. 

Hope you get paid by the hour 🙂

On 6/14/2022 at 2:56 PM, djmike said:

Good morning everyone. 

happy cruising all. 

Mike - I sailed with you on the Wonder TA and you really made our trip.  So much to do and you were very visible around the ship...I loved the Music Festival and the Crew Talent Show.

I look forward to sailing with you again in the future. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:56 AM, djmike said:

Good morning everyone. 

happy cruising all. 

I love you, Mike!  (But you knew that already 😉 )

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. 

happy cruising all. 

Nothing like the good old days on the AD.  

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. 

happy cruising all. 

On small note to you and your fellow CD's. often after the Captain makes his mid day announcement, the CD would make their announcement,  at a significantly louder volume, making it impossible to understand what is being said.  You would see a lot of people covering their ears just to try to understand.

Good morning everyone. 

happy cruising all. 

Mike, how much leeway does the CD have with the activities?  Is there a prescribed list of activities that have to be done?  How many activities (if any) does the CD create?

On 6/12/2022 at 6:55 PM, motheroftwocats814 said:

We are pretty avid cruisers and of all the cruises we have been on I can remember about 3-4 CD's names.

Other cruises I don't recall EVER seeing the CD or hearing any announcements from them.

Does the CD make an impact on your cruise experience?

It certainly doesn't for us.

No but cassettes and 8-tracks make a huge difference. 

I've been on 26 cruises.  The bulk of them were Royal Caribbean.  I remember three CDs.  First one with Royal Caribbean in 2013.  Joff Eaton, because of his awesome "I'm Splendid" Video.  Two.  @djmike aka Mountie Mike because I can never remember how to spell your last name.  You were memorable because of the way you did things that made the cruise unique in 2018 and easily the best CD I've ever had.

And the third, I actually don't remember his name, but had to look him up, and that's Paul Rutter, who unfortunately falls under the worse CD i've ever had due to his ability to actually suck energy from an event instead of add to it.

I know there's a lot of work behind the scenes.  However, if i can say Be like Mike and put your personality and flavor into making your product unique and memorable, I'm going to say that.  

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Mike, how much leeway does the CD have with the activities?  Is there a prescribed list of activities that have to be done?  How many activities (if any) does the CD create?

Great question. 

there is a encyclopedia of sorts with company approved activities. Based on itinerary and demographics some will work and others won’t be as possible. CD’s work hand in hand with the activities manager to create a robust program. 

Any new activities must be signed off on by head office. For instance I created a version on the Amazing Race for the crossing. It took many many many hours of planning but was worth it. 

hope this answers your question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1