was my latest muster drill experience new or is it the usual for Oasis?

I did a few cruises pre pandemic (about 7). I was averaging one a year and obviously had to stop during the pandemic. We recently decided it was time to cruise again, and we booked one on the oasis, our first time ever on an RC ship that size. 

My biggest surprise was the muster drill. We no longer had to stand outside in groups for 30 min. instead we were instructed to do it from our rooms on our tv. Then you had an hour or two to go to your designated part of the ship to confirm with a crew member that you watched the muster video and to learn where your emergency evacuation location will be. 

This was the best experience I've ever had with a muster drill! Now I'm wondering, is this new due to social distancing? Is this something all ships started doing? or is this something that has always been done on the bigger ships?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

New Muster 2.0

is this across all lines or just RC? I have a cruise on the Carnival Panorama in December with 14 first time cruisers and am hoping they get to experience this new version.

1 minute ago, juanarcin said:

is this across all lines or just RC? I have a cruise on the Carnival Panorama in December with 14 first time cruisers and am hoping they get to experience this new version.

All Royal ships.   Hope they keep it.  Also wish everyone would report as it still seems some people don't appear until they hear their names called!

• Like 1

We did the muster drill from our phones while we waited for the terminal to open. Once we got on the ship, we walked directly to our muster station, they scanned our Set Sail Pass (we didn't have our Seapasses yet), and we were done.'

• Like 1

We completed the drill while getting checked in and went directly to our Muster Station.  Took all of 10 minutes start to finish.  What an improvement which I hope is kept.  BTW this was our March, 2022 cruise on the ExOS.

Bill

16 minutes ago, juanarcin said:

Carnival has a version of the new drill too.  

42 minutes ago, juanarcin said:

I sailed on Carnival Mardi Gras in the Fall. We had to watch a video on our stateroom tv and then go to our muster station. 

15 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I think most everyone that has experienced the new muster drill wants it to be a permanent change.

The greatest threat to the new style drill ending are the slackers who don't take care of it within a reasonable time after boarding the ship.  I'm sure those of us who have done a few cruises since the restart last summer are familiar with the captain coming on the PA system to announce "we still have 400 (or 500, or 600) guests who have not completed the muster drill and we cannot sail until all guests have completed it."

I had a glitch on my last cruise.  DW and I did the stuff on our phones once on board.  We went to the station and they said my wife did it, but I didn’t.  So they made me listen to their presentation.   

I would lean lean toward user error, but we did it together, at the same time, received the same feedback?  

Still only took took a couple minutes so not a big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We did the muster drill from our phones while we waited for the terminal to open. Once we got on the ship, we walked directly to our muster station, they scanned our Set Sail Pass (we didn't have our Seapasses yet), and we were done.'

That's what we have been doing too.  We like to get it done and move onto lunch and drinks😃

46 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

As does Princess.

And if you are on a B2B, you don't have to do anything for the 2nd leg of the trip.

We were on b2b on Jewel in April and had to do muster for 2nd cruise.

I LOVE the new muster system and hope they keep it.  I recently took a HAL cruise and they did they same, so maybe it's here to stay.

The only kink are those folks who don't go and therefore prompt all the PA announcements asking them to go. 🙂 

All I can think of when they make the "naughty people" announcement, is the rest of the passengers storming the Promenade deck with pitchforks. Like the townspeople in Young Frankenstein.

NOT SAILING??!!!!!! Let's hunt them down like rabid dogs!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

As does Princess.

And if you are on a B2B, you don't have to do anything for the 2nd leg of the trip.

Not on RC.  You must do this extremely easy and abbreviated muster drill for each cruise.  

6 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

One of the positives to come out of the pandemic. 

While "nice" for passengers, you tie up valuable crew members to stand around waiting for people to show up for hours. While you are in the climate controlled indoors, some ships require crew to stand for hours in the boiling hot, icy cold, blazing sunshine, pouring rain all to make "nice" for passengers.  Versus making everyone (passengers and crew) do it in a 30 minute window. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

While "nice" for passengers, you tie up valuable crew members to stand around waiting for people to show up for hours. Versus making everyone (passengers and crew) do it in a 30 minute window. 

There were plenty of times where it took more than 30 minutes.  Sometimes WAAAAY more than 30 minutes.  Why? For the same reason:  People don't show up, and everyone has to wait for them.