Hey, Alaska cruisers….

Lalof

18 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Marginally better than the people wandering around the Lido in their bathrobes for lunch (not even breakfast ...but lunch?!) on our Alaskan cruise last week.

Was  there a bathing suit on underneath  ?

Bottom line. You can wear what ever you wish as long as the staff lets you in. We have seen everything on our 6/11 cruise and current 6/18 cruise whether it is formal or not. Ball caps, shorts, flip flops, t shirts, etc and it is cold outside!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Bottom line. You can wear what ever you wish as long as the staff lets you in. We have seen everything on our 6/11 cruise and current 6/18 cruise whether it is formal or not. Ball caps, shorts, flip flops, t shirts, etc and it is cold outside!

Thanks. We will dress appropriately but on rare occasions our timing from excursions gets tight so it’s good to know if we need to be sure to allot time to change clothes or not. 

4 hours ago, Lalof said:

We start our cruise tour in 10 days. Can anyone tell me if dress shorts are allowed at dinner in the main dining room?

Thank you

I have seen men in shorts refused seating in the main dining room at the dinner hour.  Most often they will return to their stateroom to change into long pants while their companion waits at the entrance to the dining room.  (and that was on a warm weather Mexican Riviera cruise).   You likely would not be wearing dress shorts on an Alaska excursion.   

• Like 2

My husband wore jeans every night, my teen son wore his school uniform shorts to dinner a few times. We were on Noordam for Alaska June 5-12. Even on the second gala night we were sitting facing the reception desk, a man was seated wearing jeans, a hoodie and a baseball cap . . . on gala night. I found the dress code to be much more relaxed. And since it was Alaska and much cooler outside the indoor spaces were not freezing with the AC blasting. The MDR was not nearly as dressy, I typically wore nice jeans, a cute top and a cardigan.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I have seen men in shorts refused seating in the main dining room at the dinner hour.  Most often they will return to their stateroom to change into long pants while their companion waits at the entrance to the dining room.  (and that was on a warm weather Mexican Riviera cruise).   You likely would not be wearing dress shorts on an Alaska excursion.   

LOL, my husband wears shorts all year round, and we live in Minnesota! But yes, I agree we have also seen people refused entry with shorts on. However, we have also been on other lines where women walked in with shorts on, but men were not allowed. I didn’t think that was right.

3 hours ago, Lalof said:

LOL, my husband wears shorts all year round, and we live in Minnesota! But yes, I agree we have also seen people refused entry with shorts on. However, we have also been on other lines where women walked in with shorts on, but men were not allowed. I didn’t think that was right.

I think they key word was “dress shorts”.    

2 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I think they key word was “dress shorts”.    

Exactly.  The skort is once again fashionable and I could see that being seen as a miniskirt as opposed to shorts 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lalof said:

Thanks. We will dress appropriately but on rare occasions our timing from excursions gets tight so it’s good to know if we need to be sure to allot time to change clothes or not. 

Just curious, what's the aversion to the Lido Market, Dive-In, New York Deli & Pizza, or room service?

I ask because I'm going next week and already made reservations for the MDR for 4 nights, the Pinnacle Grill for 1 night (earlier port call in Ketchikan, part of HIA package), and the other 2 nights (late port calls at Juneau and Skagway) we're leaving open for whatever (didn't even consider MDR, and probably too cheap to eat in town).

37 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Just curious, what's the aversion to the Lido Market, Dive-In, New York Deli & Pizza, or room service?

I ask because I'm going next week and already made reservations for the MDR for 4 nights, the Pinnacle Grill for 1 night (earlier port call in Ketchikan, part of HIA package), and the other 2 nights (late port calls at Juneau and Skagway) we're leaving open for whatever (didn't even consider MDR, and probably too cheap to eat in town).

A lot of people like the Lido market for dinner because they don’t have to “dress up”, there is a larger selection of buffet food offerings, large portions if requested, and you can eat and go so it’s faster.  The main dining room (MDR) is table service and plated dinners served by course by attentive stewards.  It will take from 1 to 2 hours to complete a meal there.  If you sit at a table for 6 or 8 it may take longer depending on the group and how much they are enjoying their tablemates and the conversation.  Take note of the hours each venue is open.  You can get a room service meal anytime.  It’s all good.

• Like 1

@PACD_JGYou were able to make reservations in the MDR?  I went to my account to make MDR reservations today (for a September Alaska cruise) and the option is gone.  I know the ability to make MDR reservations was there before.  HAL's inconsistency is so frustrating.