Celebrity now using deck 6 rooms for quarantine

the_dylaness

We disembarked Reflection on June 13th, having boarded on June 3rd.  Our party was booked in two balcony cabins- one with myself and DH, the other with our nanny and our school-aged children.  We booked very specific rooms in a location we preferred and just a couple doors down from our kids (over time we've graduated from connecting rooms, to next door rooms, to now a couple doors down...) We always have our reservation marked "no upgrade". 

When we checked in on the pier all seemed well except we were told that our children had been "upgraded"... to a far forward 9th floor room (in contrast to our midship/aftish 6th floor balcony).  We spent some significant time at Guest Relations trying to line this out.  We were told that "The CDC has asked us to reserve rooms on the 6th floor for quarantine" (I don't doubt this but have you not been doing this for months?!) and when we pointed out that our room was just a couple doors down, they had no response.  

Long story short, it was several more visits and phone calls, all with different explanations and no real sense, until things were all finally settled.  Our kids didn't have key cards, the online app was confused about who was where, and luggage was missing until dinner time (finally we found it at the new room after checking many times...)

The way it was settled was this: my husband had the good idea of just checking the "old" room to see if keycards etc were there. They were, and the room appeared to be clean and ready.  So finally when it came time to put them to bed we just put them there, but when the nanny called to ask the beds to be separated, they said they couldn't because they weren't "on the list"... so at 1030pm (2 hours past bedtime) it was finally all sorted when the umpteenth person in Guest Relations we spoke to seemed to actually understand what was going on and fixed everything, got the telephone all set up with their names, put them on "the list", etc.

Either way, it does appear some 6th floor cabins are being reserved for quarantine, which makes sense. 

Many people are NOT going to self-report symptoms if it will mean being downgraded into a balcony-less cabin. Celebrity needs to sweeten the pot and entice people to be responsible and report their symptoms, not punish them!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

We disembarked Reflection on June 13th, having boarded on June 3rd.  Our party was booked in two balcony cabins- one with myself and DH, the other with our nanny and our school-aged children.  We booked very specific rooms in a location we preferred and just a couple doors down from our kids (over time we've graduated from connecting rooms, to next door rooms, to now a couple doors down...) We always have our reservation marked "no upgrade". 

When we checked in on the pier all seemed well except we were told that our children had been "upgraded"... to a far forward 9th floor room (in contrast to our midship/aftish 6th floor balcony).  We spent some significant time at Guest Relations trying to line this out.  We were told that "The CDC has asked us to reserve rooms on the 6th floor for quarantine" (I don't doubt this but have you not been doing this for months?!) and when we pointed out that our room was just a couple doors down, they had no response.  

Long story short, it was several more visits and phone calls, all with different explanations and no real sense, until things were all finally settled.  Our kids didn't have key cards, the online app was confused about who was where, and luggage was missing until dinner time (finally we found it at the new room after checking many times...)

The way it was settled was this: my husband had the good idea of just checking the "old" room to see if keycards etc were there. They were, and the room appeared to be clean and ready.  So finally when it came time to put them to bed we just put them there, but when the nanny called to ask the beds to be separated, they said they couldn't because they weren't "on the list"... so at 1030pm (2 hours past bedtime) it was finally all sorted when the umpteenth person in Guest Relations we spoke to seemed to actually understand what was going on and fixed everything, got the telephone all set up with their names, put them on "the list", etc.

Either way, it does appear some 6th floor cabins are being reserved for quarantine, which makes sense. 

Many people are NOT going to self-report symptoms if it will mean being downgraded into a balcony-less cabin. Celebrity needs to sweeten the pot and entice people to be responsible and report their symptoms, not punish them!

I’m not sure how the last paragraph follows from the earlier ones.  How did anyone not self-reporting impact your situation?

• Thanks 1

@cruisestitch Sorry for not connecting the dots very well, my apologies!  I recall learning previously that ONLY deck 3 cabins were used for quarantine (so by default, without balconies) and now they are reserving deck 6 balconies for quarantine, which I applaud... but just not when you already have people booked in them, perhaps 🙂

50 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Makes a lot more sense than a few months ago when they were quaranting new arriving crew on deck 6 for 2 weeks and moving paying guests who contracted covid to deck 2 & 3. !!!!!

23 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

@cruisestitch Sorry for not connecting the dots very well, my apologies!  I recall learning previously that ONLY deck 3 cabins were used for quarantine (so by default, without balconies) and now they are reserving deck 6 balconies for quarantine, which I applaud... but just not when you already have people booked in them, perhaps 🙂

What would you suggest.  X was hammered for quarantine cabins without balconies thus has been using SOME verandas on Deck 6 for some months.  Know of others who were moved and totally understand the hassle if in a group or especially of with kids.

You do get it that there are probably no cabins not booked for the future on any cruise.  They should be notifying you of a cabin change a couple weeks or more ahead.  The explanation friends on APEX received was they had 80!!! cabins for covid on their cruise and hopefully back to the "regular" number on subsequent cruises.

6 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

What would you suggest.  X was hammered for quarantine cabins without balconies thus has been using SOME verandas on Deck 6 for some months.  Know of others who were moved and totally understand the hassle if in a group or especially of with kids.

You do get it that there are probably no cabins not booked for the future on any cruise.  They should be notifying you of a cabin change a couple weeks or more ahead.  The explanation friends on APEX received was they had 80!!! cabins for covid on their cruise and hopefully back to the "regular" number on subsequent cruises.

I think it's GOOD that they are using balcony cabins for quarantine- frankly I think it's bordering on cruel to put anyone in a cabin without at-will access to fresh air, for days on end!  If ships are going to quarantine pax they need enough balcony cabins, in my humble opinion, for EVERYONE, not just those booked in balcony or above.  

However, the change was clearly made very last minute- as I mentioned, the key cards for our nanny and children were still at the 6th floor room (and worked for that room) and even on the pier and for the first bit on board the cruise planner showed the room as the 6th floor room, so this change was made at the last second.

I don't control the purse strings, but I would also suggest they "sweeten the pot" for people to self report with some measures that wouldn't cost a TON of extra money- how about a couple of gratis room service deliveries from a specialty restaurant? A decent selection of movies on demand? (This is a whole different topic... the ONLY movie on demand that was less than PG-13 on our cruise was a nature documentary... my children were paid pax as well, one of them full fare as 2nd pax in room, why do they not have children's movies also available?! I mentioned this to Guest Relations who said "we will look into and get back with you..." still waiting on that call.)

Edited by the_dylaness
spelling error

Forgive me , but what has this got to do with the CDC?

The Reflection is sailing in European waters and is registered in Malta.

So ,surely the CDC don’t have any jurisdiction 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deenoob said:

Forgive me , but what has this got to do with the CDC?

The Reflection is sailing in European waters and is registered in Malta.

So ,surely the CDC don’t have any jurisdiction 

That comment was surely just a crew member ad libbing. The CDC has nothing to do with what X is doing for quarantine on Reflection this summer. 

My problem with this system is the fact that X keeps booking these cabins.....and then disrupts plans when you arrive at the pier.  The cruise line knows that these cabins will be crew quarantine (not guests) well in advance so why not let people know in advance.  Then entire sixth floor was blocked off on our TA (April 2022) with fire doors shut.  The guests with Covid were on deck three BTW. 

We have had a deck six balcony booked on since 2020 (L &S) for August of 2022 to Alaska on the Solstice.  Deck six is still being sold for this cruise.  Why not assign us a cabin so that we can see what we are dealing with instead of pushing it off on guest services the day we board.  You have all seen those lines. 

I feel like we have a balcony guarantee to be assigned at the pier.  That is not what we paid for when we booked.  I don't buy "it might change" because they know weeks in advance what cabins will be closed.  Just a little venting.  I sympathize with the OP problems.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

My problem with this system is the fact that X keeps booking these cabins.....and then disrupts plans when you arrive at the pier.  The cruise line knows that these cabins will be crew quarantine (not guests) well in advance so why not let people know in advance.  Then entire sixth floor was blocked off on our TA (April 2022) with fire doors shut.  The guests with Covid were on deck three BTW. 

We have had a deck six balcony booked on since 2020 (L &S) for August of 2022 to Alaska on the Solstice.  Deck six is still being sold for this cruise.  Why not assign us a cabin so that we can see what we are dealing with instead of pushing it off on guest services the day we board.  You have all seen those lines. 

I feel like we have a balcony guarantee to be assigned at the pier.  That is not what we paid for when we booked.  I don't buy "it might change" because they know weeks in advance what cabins will be closed.  Just a little venting.  I sympathize with the OP problems.

One issue is that the decks used for quarantine seem to vary by ship.  I've been on ships with Deck 6 used for guest quarantine, and I've been on other ships where Deck 3 was being used (and who knows where else).  I know situations can change things, but I think Celebrity needs to be upfront, prior to sailing, to let guests know what the plan is (allowing that a high number of cases could require a Plan B).  For sailings where Deck 3 is used, people may choose to cancel rather than be stuck in an outside cabin with no fresh air (I would personally hate it!).  

And BTW, on the ship that used Deck 6, it was not the whole deck - just half of it.  So some who booked on Deck 6 were in the cabins they originally booked.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, the_dylaness said:

I think it's GOOD that they are using balcony cabins for quarantine- frankly I think it's bordering on cruel to put anyone in a cabin without at-will access to fresh air, for days on end!  If ships are going to quarantine pax they need enough balcony cabins, in my humble opinion, for EVERYONE, not just those booked in balcony or above.  

However, the change was clearly made very last minute- as I mentioned, the key cards for our nanny and children were still at the 6th floor room (and worked for that room) and even on the pier and for the first bit on board the cruise planner showed the room as the 6th floor room, so this change was made at the last second.

I don't control the purse strings, but I would also suggest they "sweeten the pot" for people to self report with some measures that wouldn't cost a TON of extra money- how about a couple of gratis room service deliveries from a specialty restaurant? A decent selection of movies on demand? (This is a whole different topic... the ONLY movie on demand that was less than PG-13 on our cruise was a nature documentary... my children were paid pax as well, one of them full fare as 2nd pax in room, why do they not have children's movies also available?! I mentioned this to Guest Relations who said "we will look into and get back with you..." still waiting on that call.)

We were booked in a deck 6 cabin on Apex in Feb and were moved to a deck 9 cabin. Our cabin attendant told us the intended occupants were listed as no show. I think the reason for making these changes at the last minute is because deck 6 occupants are being moved to cabins that are last minute cancellations due to Celebrity's current cancellation policies. 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, the_dylaness said:

We self-reported on a 14 day cruise, and was sent to deck 6 on the day we were to disembark on that cruise.  We  quarantined in our original room as deck 6 was full.  When we docked, we were moved to deck 6, but not until later in the day.  The reason your key cards were probably still on deck 6 was they needed more rooms than they thought.  Maybe they had planned to put you in your original rooms, but then could not as they needed to move more covid quarantine passengers from the previous cruise onto deck 6 (ie some people who self reported  tested positive last minute or they needed to take quarantine people out of their rooms and move them so they upgraded other deck 6 passengers to another deck).   When they deal with testing / moving the covid people - it takes AGES.  They tell you they are sending someone "up to your room now" - and then it takes several hours".    it could be the general guest relations number you called had no idea why your room keys were still there when your kids were upgraded to another deck.  When you get put in quarantine - you are given a specific number to call for whatever you need while there.  

They actually DO provide fairly decent amenities in quarantine, including a refund of your original fare from the time you test positive.  We were put on the cruise after ours (a 12 day) for free.  When we got out of quarantine, we were moved to a balcony cabin on another deck - still free.  And there will ALWAYS be selfish people who won't self-report, regardless of what is offered.  You could tell people they will be put in a suite with specialty restaurant delivery and free movies  (we had tons of movies) - and I guarantee you that won't make them self-report.  They are just going to not miss their vacation.  When we got out of quarantine - we heard numerous people literally say " I had a cough, sore throat, and headache for 3 days - it was allergies".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ehall said:

When we got out of quarantine - we heard numerous people literally say " I had a cough, sore throat, and headache for 3 days - it was allergies".  

Soooooo frustrating. Thank you for your insights and for being honest, to help keep the rest of us safe.

We were on the reflection b2b May 2 and May 13. Anyone who was doing a b2b had to take a mandatory COVID test the day before the next cruise. We did as told and unfortunately tested positive for COVID.  We had about an hour to pack up everything in our balcony cabin on deck 8 and were move to an outside cabin on deck 3 without a balcony! It was horrible. After us making a bit of noise, we finally were moved to deck 6! The COVID area for the remainder of our quarantine.  We were treated with kindness but I think it is totally unfair and inhuman to put anyone in a cabin with no fresh air, even if it’s only for a few days.  Was it bearable the rest of the cruise? We made it so. We watched from our lovely balcony as the ports went by and so close but so far away!  The staff on the reflection is outstanding. We got anything we asked for, cappuccino in the morning. Drinks at night and gelato and cookies too. Our laundry was done for us as well.  Upgraded internet too.I read 5 books in 10 days! We missed all the ports we really was looking forward to. We finally were able to leave the ship in Pisa, not my favorite.  We had to move back to our original cabin! So we packed up so we could enjoy the last day of the cruise!  I know when you book a cruise with COVID still around that you take a chance. I put no blame on celebrity. We knew there was a chance of testing positive. Will this stop us for cruising again. No way!  We are currently booked on the beyond next May so that we can go to the missed ports.

I wanted people to know what goes on when you test positive for COVID.

e

126121EA-936B-4BFE-AC62-BCCED82B72D8.jpeg

2AECE773-24E4-4E43-B9A6-EE4BFDFACE40.jpeg

Curious to see what is happening come October.  I’m on the Silhouette booked in a balcony on deck 6 forward.  Given the ship is currently showing zero balcony (or higher) cabins are available.  

5 hours ago, Shashi21 said:

Anyone who was doing a b2b had to take a mandatory COVID test the day before the next cruise. We did as told and unfortunately tested positive for COVID

Did you ever have any symptoms?

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

I too have a deck 6 forward balcony booked ( sweet 16) on the 12 day Summit Iceland cruise in 2 weeks. . I will let you know what it looks like as our cruise has been sold old for months. 

Good Luck to you.  I hope you get to keep your sweet 16.  We are forward deck six just before the elevators in the center section in four weeks on a Solstice Alaska cruise.  I would love to hear your feed back about what happens with your cabin and if any of deck six is closed.  Thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rf1286 said:

We are on deck 6 AFT of Celebrity Solstice in October.  Does anyone know which part of deck 6 is closed for quarantine?

We just returned from Celebrity Solstice and had an AFT balcony on deck 6.  The cabin was wonderful and it didn't appear that any cabins near us were isolation cabins.  As an aside, we did come home with Covid (tested positive the day after we got home), as did many on our ship.  Good luck!

53 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Good Luck to you.  I hope you get to keep your sweet 16.  We are forward deck six just before the elevators in the center section in four weeks on a Solstice Alaska cruise.  I would love to hear your feed back about what happens with your cabin and if any of deck six is closed.  Thanks 

We just returned from Solstice Alaska cruise and were on deck 6 AFT.  It did not appear that any of deck 6 was closed.  It was rumored on our cruise that they were using deck 3, although I have no way of knowing if this was true as we didn't test positive until we got home 😞