The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 20th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Ice Cream Soda Day, National Bald Eagle Day, and Take Your Cat to Work Day

It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - bbq drumsticks
Drink of the Day - Beam And Hops
wine of the Day - Tardieu-Laurent 2018 Hermitage Rhône Valley
Destination of the Day - Souda (Chania), Greece

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 06/21

Nieuw Statendam

Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany 06:00 - 20:00

Noordam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Mykonos Island, Greece 12:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Maloy, Norway eta 6/21

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06/21

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Isla eta 06/21

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0620World.thumb.png.68401bcd7f04782bd3602804916ffbb3.png

0620Alaska.thumb.png.46c0d95b0ae3b12a35a355c639e1d73d.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Today is also

• International Motorcycle & Scooter Ride to Work Day

• Ride Motorcycles to Work Day

Ride to Work Day was first held on July 22, 1992. The holiday grew informally over the following years. In 2000, Andy formed Ride to Work, a non-profit organization that helps organize and promote the day, and also registered RideToWork.org. Ride to Work Day exists to increase tolerance for those who ride motorcycles for transportation

https://www.checkiday.com/6421185aa7ed25f0c7e15cd2a3810cde/ride-to-work-day

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the F & D Report.

An ice cream soda sounds like a great suggestion.  I haven't seen a bald eagle in months, maybe I'll see one today.  I don't have a cat and I don't go to work.

I like the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good too.  I'm not sure about the drink but I think I'll like the wine.

We haven't been to today's port, I think it was on our 2020 cruise that was cancelled.  Oh well, maybe someday.  Thanks in advance for the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great week.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

DH loves ice cream sodas. A salute to bald eagles; love to watch them fly. No cat here and don't go to work. 

I like the quote. The meal sounds great especially with potato salad or baked beans and Gerry's coleslaw. @ger_77

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, praying for you and DH to test negative tomorrow.

Ann, @marshhawk, I'm stealing your idea for our October cruise. 

Going to get a second cup of coffee and will come back to read the Daily.

Have a magical Monday! 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a sunny 68°F North East England.

Thank you for today's Fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

I like ice cream soda.

I used to make mine with Lemonade or Sarsaparilla (Root beer).

A good quote.

Nice food today.

Chania is a nice port.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Screenshot_20220620_120354.jpg

Screenshot_20220620_120419.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Fleet report. 🙂

I’m up early for a couple of reasons, I think. One, I overdid it at the cemetery the other day clearing/cleaning my dad’s headstone and surrounding area. Nothing bad just achy. Two, I’m a bit excited  I’ll be going to the county fair (after work tomorrow) with a GF and her friend. I’m staying 2 nights, they are coming in a day early. First time at this county fair.
Today is a holiday (Juneteenth observed) so I need to finish packing for my mini trip, but also start packing for my Amsterdam/Norway cruise on the Rotterdam. I keep checking the airlines to make sure any flight are not cancelled. 🤞 I’m really looking forward to this cruise as it was cancelled b HAL last year. 

• Like 30

Good morning

Thank you for the Fleet Report and the Daily.

And thank you to Roy in advance for the Cares and Cheers list.

interesting set of days.  The only one i can relate to is the Ice Cream Soda.  Have not had one in a long time and it seems like it is about time to do so.  I would like to have it in an old fashioned Ice Cream Parlor.

i don’t do bird watching so I would not see a bald eagle and would not know where to go to find one. DH was an Eagle Scout and had a badge in bird watching.  Maybe he can help.

As for Take your Cat to Work Day—Two problems.  I don’t have a cat and I am retired.  i like it that way.  

@StLouisCruisersi am so sorry that you have tested positive and hope that tomorrow has better results for both you and your DH.  On Oceania we were told that if we tested positive at the five day point, then we had to do the full 10-day quarantine. I hope that is still not in place and that they will test you every day until you are negative. Maybe the rules have changed.

Think we will pass on the meal and the drink.

Maybe the wine.

We have not been to the port.

i like the quote.  Everyone likes for their dreams to come true.

Hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Thank you for the Fleet report. 🙂

I’m up early for a couple of reasons, I think. One, I overdid it at the cemetery the other day clearing/cleaning my dad’s headstone and surrounding area. Nothing bad just achy. Two, I’m a bit excited  I’ll be going to the county fair (after work tomorrow) with a GF and her friend. I’m staying 2 nights, they are coming in a day early. First time at this county fair.
Today is a holiday (Juneteenth observed) so I need to finish packing for my mini trip, but also start packing for my Amsterdam/Norway cruise on the Rotterdam. I keep checking the airlines to make sure any flight are not cancelled. 🤞 I’m really looking forward to this cruise as it was cancelled b HAL last year. 

Have a great time at the Fair.  Happy packing.  It is so exciting getting ready for a cruise.

How’s Mom doing?

Terri

• Like 21

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. How can it be the last full week of June already? It is lovely here with a breeze keeping the temperature pleasant as the sun comes up over the trees. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Off to the gym. My cold symptoms started to disappear last night and this morning I feel great. Not even a sniffle. 😎 I will try one class, and if I feel ok then I will stay for a second one. The first one is pretty intense, so I may not even make it through all of that. 

476A5543-2E3D-43EB-8BAF-A68B45ADA46D.jpeg.320c04f0d3a8615ff6fd00fdec8bc38b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Special prayers for Buddy, Curt, Tana, Jack’s DB, and Terri who are dealing with such difficult medical issues. Sandi, hope you & DH get the news you want from tomorrow’s tests. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Tardieu-Laurent 2018 Hermitage Rhône Valley

Superb to excellent reviews for all released vintages for this Rhône classic. A bit pricey - a few online distributors with prices starting at $71.99.

Distributor notes

In the northern Rhône, no single appellation evinces as much reverence and adulation among wine lovers as Hermitage. One of France's oldest vineyards, Hermitage is a steep, continuous 136-hectare hillside from which blooms the essence of Syrah. Yet, some may argue it is the rare white wines made from Marsanne and Roussanne that are the more distinguished style. Regardless, this mountain of granite is the one of the most hallowed sites in France, producing inimitable reds and whites every wine aficionado must experience.

We are excited to share with you a red Hermitage from one of the Rhône’s most famous producers: Tardieu-Laurent. Founded in 1996 by Michel Tardieu and Dominique Laurent, today the business is run by Michel and his son, Bastien. The Tardieu family works with “partner vignerons” — farmers with whom the family have long-standing relationships, almost all of whom have enviable holdings of old vines in the northern and southern Rhône’s most prestigious appellations. The 2018 vintage produced wines of power and concentration, particularly in Hermitage, and Tardieu-Laurent’s wines are no exception.

100% Syrah, 1/3 whole cluster, aged 12 months in new and one year-old barrels, then 12 months in foudre. Full-bodied, generous and soft with intoxicating flavors of black raspberry, licorice, cassis and savory spices. Long, intense finish buttressed by an otherworldly concentration of rich, ripe fruits. Drink now or age a further 10+ years.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 9

Good morning! Yesterday’s pool activities were cancelled as granddaughter came down with a minor swimmers earache. Took her to local Urgent Care and she has started treatment. She is doing fine and does not need to be on Care List. Last night’s movie classic was Peter Pan and was enjoyed.

We will need to be a little more creative today now that swimming is out.

I think most cats would not be very appreciative going to work with their humans! Mine hated a car ride as they knew they were headed to the Veterinarian’s.

Like much of the country it’s going to be another hot day with no rain in forecast.

Thanks for the Fleet Report and regular feature post. Have a great week.

• Like 28

@JAM37Julia, @Cruzin TerriTerri, and @cat shepardAnn thanks for your support and prayers. Hoping for the best again tomorrow. If I knew what I needed to do for that viral load to disappear I’d do it. But there’s nothing I can actively do except wait it out. On Princess they tell me I will be tested each morning from Day 6 on until I’m negative, up to Day 10. At that point I would be released because I am no danger to anyone. But personally I want a negative test result!  Won’t I need a document proving I’m negative when I fly home Wednesday the 29th?  I can just see the question put forward by Delta now - have you tested positive for Covid in the last 14 days?  😳

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.  

I may have to do my laps at the gym as it is threatening rain here.  We'll see what it looks like when I finish here.  My sister is in 7th heaven this morning as her son and his wife had their baby early this morning.  No name yet.  They are going back and forth between Madeleine and Maggie.  When I was a kid my mom used to take me to the soda fountain for ice cream sodas.  

Today's meal sounds like what we should have had yesterday for Father's Day.  While the recipe calls for drumsticks, you can substitute any piece of chicken for good results.  I make pretty good bbq chicken wings, but I do them at a low temperature for hours, basting every hour with the bbq sauce.  The meat is so tender that way and it is falling off the bones.  This first recipe uses a dry rub as a marinade for the drumsticks and has directions for grilling.  There are also directions for the air fryer and the oven.   It is keto friendly, so low sugar.  https://cookathomemom.com/grilled-bbq-chicken-drumsticks/

2002648623_bbqdrumsticks1.thumb.jpg.161d41b282ca3bbfbdcc3a85676801f1.jpg

This next one has a slightly different spice mixture.  They recommend looking for a low sugar or no sugar bbq sauce.  I tried one of them once and it was terrible.  I stick with the real thing and just limit the amount I eat.    https://healthyfitnessmeals.com/baked-chicken-drumsticks/

1235115930_bbqdrumsticks2.thumb.jpg.018ccfdd03d6e3f8b949bf17ce75769c.jpg

This next one uses simply bbq sauce, salt, pepper, and liquid smoke.   That sounds like an interesting combination.  Easily done in the oven.   https://bakeitwithlove.com/baked-bbq-chicken-drumsticks/

1825945240_bbqdrumsticks3.jpg.52b04606ff8e794791bceb30b3ca57a9.jpg

This next one has a marinade sauce that can be used for 2 hours up to 24 hours before grilling.  https://tasteandsee.com/grilled-bbq-chicken-drumstick-recipe/

1107872057_bbqdrumsticks4.thumb.jpg.a18b200a733283e10f9a1559e33cbbbc.jpg

And here is one for the air fryer.   https://drdavinahseats.com/recipes/air-fryer-bbq-chicken-drumsticks

374620499_bbqdrumsticks5.thumb.jpg.f65070265267387362e67978ac85708d.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  Special prayers for Curt as he undergoes additional surgeries.  Prayers that @StLouisCruisers Sandi and DH test negative tomorrow.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Thank you ALL for your continued prayer for DH's nephew. His mother appreciates your care and prayer; pain medication keeps Curt from fully understanding. And, as many have suggested, we are settling into the realization of the long recovery ahead.

-Melisa

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@JAM37Julia, @Cruzin TerriTerri, and @cat shepardAnn thanks for your support and prayers. Hoping for the best again tomorrow. If I knew what I needed to do for that viral load to disappear I’d do it. But there’s nothing I can actively do except wait it out. On Princess they tell me I will be tested each morning from Day 6 on until I’m negative, up to Day 10. At that point I would be released because I am no danger to anyone. But personally I want a negative test result!  Won’t I need a document proving I’m negative when I fly home Wednesday the 29th?  I can just see the question put forward by Delta now - have you tested positive for Covid in the last 14 days?  😳

I hope you both test negative soon!!!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You don’t need any proof of testing to get back into the US.  That changed while you were away.

On Oceania they gave us copies of our positive and negative tests as proof.

Don’t worry.

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

I am lucky enough to live about 30 minutes from the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River,  a premier destination for watching eagles.  

This photos was taken by Andy Vineberg.

5CACA977-433C-4F4D-8B7D-4734F50D94B5.jpeg.3509837c35416907a878e3e921ef9ace.jpeg

The following information is a summary of an article by Ad Crable in the Bay Journal.  You can  often see a 100 or more eagles as they perform aerial feats while diving for fish, their tail feathers skimming the water before rising upward with the prize locked in yellow talons.  Plucking a fish is hardly the end of the drama. More often than not, trailing eagles will dive at the avian angler, trying to dislodge the fish. Sometimes, the freefalling fish is snatched out of midair. The river robbery is often successful, sometimes multiple times, before a victor wings away to a tree to devour its catch. Even then, the eagle may find itself winging through the labyrinth of branches with several eagles in pursuit.

Adult eagles sometimes take their young on training runs. The parent will catch a fish and deliberately drop it so the juveniles can practice scooping it off the water surface with their talons.  Eagles gather at Conowingo for a simple reason: reliable food. Especially in the spring, migrating fish find themselves blocked from moving upriver and mill around the tailrace. Throughout the year, fish on the upriver side of the dam are killed or stunned as they are sucked through 10 generators in the nearly mile-long dam. Eagles perching in trees and on towers and rocks can see a belly-up fish from about 1.5 miles away. 

Edited by 0106
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

I'll pass on taking a cat to work since I don't have a cat and I don't think it would be appreciated at the fire station, the closest I have come to work in the last 15+ years.  My pharmacy when I was growing up made very tasty ice cream sodas.  Dutch Harbor Alaska is my favorite place for viewing Eagles, especially one WW2-era shipyard.

2eagle.jpg

I have not been to Souda.  Love the quote from the Alchemist.  The menu selection is great and I think I take it rather than giving an alternative.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt with serious mowing accident and continuing complications
StLouisCruisers and DH in Covid jail another day
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Mister67's Brother and SIL coming down with covid
Heartgrove brother recovering from PEG insertion
1Angelcat frustration with medical system and hand issues
Buddy with worsening problems
From the rotation:
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All BHB hosting guest
New granddaughter for dfish
Jabs released for youngest kids
ger_77 sprucing up cemetery
Rain for Durango
jayhawk66 in NC Mountains beating the heat
aliaschief visit from grand-daughter
Welcome home travelingbums
5 days for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam 6/25 to 7/9)
Lady Hudson (Enchantment OTS to 6/24), VMAX (Oosterdam to 6/25),  StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) and  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Dailyites!  Happy Monday!  It was nice and cool last night, I opened the windows and slept like a baby.  And now my sinuses are killing me.  But its nice to have them open, the cats love sleeping in them.  But, I see that my 63 degree temperatures are about to be destroyed.  I will enjoy the cool while I can.

I totally agree with @aliaschief-I would never take my cats to work, if a car was involved.  Once they see the carrier, they go into panic mode, and disappear.  Except for Irving, he loves to see the vet, so if the carrier is out, he walks right in and goes to sleep.  However, working from home, the cats are always at work with me.  Neko "the office cat" sits on my bench with me, and if I get up, she moves from her cushion to mine.  Tazi sits on the back of the sofa behind me, Furnando and Bob will get in the Queen Anne chairs,  but Irving? He just sleeps in the den all day.

who-says-cats-arent-useful-office-cat-works-hard-11844997.png

1rnayr.jpg

Birds of prey fascinate me.  And seeing so  many eagles when our ship was in Juneau several years ago was a special treat.  But the most exciting time I saw eagles was in Florida, near Cedar Key (north west coast). DH ad I were out driving around, and we saw a giant flock of vultures land on a road, so we drove near to see what they had scavenged up for road kill.  Along with the vultures were several eagles munching along with them, and until then I had not realized that eagles are opportunists.  And because they will hunt, kill and eat cats, we hope that we never see any in this neighborhood.

I love root beer floats.  When we found out that we could bring soda on to a ship, we would make our own floats.  But you know when you cruise, you don't ever really get hungry...so I end up bringing  the cans back home.  And since we dont drink soda at home,  well, after a year, we end up giving cans away.  Now that manufacturers make smaller cans, we may give this another try.

Last night we started watching Silk on Britbox.  Hooked.  DH said when i put it on, oh another Law and Order, but after the second episode, he asked why I was turning it off.  It's 11 p.m and bed time I said..  We can watch more tomorrow.

My neighbor works for the state, so she told me she was off today,  but yesterday she stopped by, to tell me she needed me to walk the dog, as she had dr's appointments all over town, and with the price of gas, she didn't want to drive back to let the dog out....gee I 'm glad i didn't make plans...which of course I had(like work) .    Oh well, off to face the day.  Have a great day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[I didn't want to mix this with my prior post about DH's nephew. Hence this additional musing...]

Yesterday's Father's Day posts made me think about how The Daily helps us keep alive our memories – through a picture or a story – about a loved one, a favorite port, or a shared recipe.

It's likely that many of us grew up making and sharing memories around dinner tables at multigenerational holiday gatherings. And, although my DH enjoyed his Father's Day Zoom that allowed him to visit with his sons and grands scattered in many places, it's not the same memory maker. I doubt I'll ever hear a grand say, "Remember that time we Zoomed…"

So, I propose that, as we gather today around The Fleet Report and Daily, we raise a toast to the new memories we are making and the fond memories we are sharing at this – our daily dinner table.

Cheers!

-Melisa

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1