Changes to Labadee

Hi folks, I left the title a little vague on purpose as I'll probably be happy to hear almost any feedback.    We are making our first return to Labadee in Mid September.  I was last there in the spring of 2015, so I am looking for any thoughts about the area since then, and of course there is probably a lot you might want to say about it since cruising returned to their after the covid shut down.  Even though I use to consider myself a news junkie, I've had to stop watching as much news as I use to for my mental health.   

We have been to the updated PEREFECT DAY COCOCAY twice now, and I know this isn't the same, but will welcome anything you have to say.   One specific question,  I see they have an excursion, to a ADULTS ONLY private island.  Any feedback on that? I know it has a bar, and my assumption is you can use your seapass card, or its included if you have an appropriate drink package.  I know that is a big assumption, but tell me about it.     Do they also serve lunch thinking you will be there a few hours.  I have plenty to think about so all opinions/thoughts are welcome

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I use to like Labadee, but it really doesn't do much for me anymore. Kinda dumpy little beaches and nothing that appealing.  I'd love to see them juice it up a bit, but only time will tell....

I hope they don’t juice it up and turn it into another Coco Cay. I like the more subtle, integrated with the surroundings feel

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

I hope they don’t juice it up and turn it into another Coco Cay. I like the more subtle, integrated with the surroundings feel

Me too. I actually preferred it years ago before the slide, zipline, cabanas, Barefoot Beach Club...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

4 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Me too. I actually preferred it years ago before the slide, zipline, cabanas, Barefoot Beach Club...

I agree as well.  I like to go to a tropical island that feels and looks like a tropical island and not a water park.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, BillOh said:

Hi folks, I left the title a little vague on purpose as I'll probably be happy to hear almost any feedback.    We are making our first return to Labadee in Mid September.  I was last there in the spring of 2015, so I am looking for any thoughts about the area since then, and of course there is probably a lot you might want to say about it since cruising returned to their after the covid shut down.  Even though I use to consider myself a news junkie, I've had to stop watching as much news as I use to for my mental health.   

We have been to the updated PEREFECT DAY COCOCAY twice now, and I know this isn't the same, but will welcome anything you have to say.   One specific question,  I see they have an excursion, to a ADULTS ONLY private island.  Any feedback on that? I know it has a bar, and my assumption is you can use your seapass card, or its included if you have an appropriate drink package.  I know that is a big assumption, but tell me about it.     Do they also serve lunch thinking you will be there a few hours.  I have plenty to think about so all opinions/thoughts are welcome

Hi Bill, not many changes since then. More umbrellas is what I noticed. Still a wonderful relaxing day!

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BillOh said:

Some Labadee photos starting at post #97 on the link below

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

20220530_091254.jpg

I feel sorry for the lifeguards standing there all day in that heat wearing the KN-95 masks!  I understand crew wearing them the way they are required, but the lifeguards on the pool deck and here have to be uncomfortable.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

I can appreciate that sentiment.  My next cruise hits both Labadee and Coco Cay so I will get both. There is a lot of stuff at Coco Cay that is of no interest to me, but like the Oasis class ship,. the things I don't like draw people away from the things I do like.  Coco Cay with 2 ships wasn't as bad as I thought it might be (for me it was Freedom and Enchantment)  Years ago before perfect day I was at Coco Cay when it was Majesty and Sovereign, and that was awfully crowded. I haven't looked to see who is in port on my two stops for this one.

Upon arrival in May, we noticed all the buildings were painted, and the famous butterfly mural was gone.

There seemed to be more locals on the pier with wheel chairs to take you to land. If you wanted.

The restrooms were the same, clean.

Barefoot beach, where we spent most of our time had a life guard out in the water by the rope line, and they seemed to have brought that line in closer to shore and reduced the swimming area.

Read that floaties to use were now $15.  It was free at barefoot beach.

Still had only one bar to get soft drinks, labadoozies or drinks at barefoot.

The entrance to the water had initially about 2 feet of broken  shells, then so very clear.  We used our water shoes.

Did not see any paddle boarders on this trip.

The buffet seemed to be stream lined.

No more steak and the shrimpies were tiny.

But the rest of the food was just like the general buffet.

Saved carbs, desserts did not look enticing.

Unusual, though did not notice any flies or sand fleas this visit, did not  need our bug spray for our feet.

The cabanas, seemed to be cleaner and must have been updated.

We did not rent one, just observed.

Loungers and umbrellas, abundant.

You could exchange your towels for fresh ones, but they told you to take back to your ship what you brought.

We did not have to go through their mini, check point in that hot, hot, hot building and have our bags scanned.

We just walked back to the ship and it was done the way it always was done, when coming back.

The local dancers were good, and their reggae band was into their songs.

The locals were really working for their tips, but did not push the issue.  

A couple locals  remembered us from previous cruises.

From fellow cruisers, we heard the vendors on the hill were out of control, pushy and trying desperately to sell their ................whatevers............they said it was bad when they walked to get to the beach.

They waited for the tram on the way back and avoided the scene.

Take care

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BillOh said:

Coco Cay with 2 ships wasn't as bad as I thought it might be (for me it was Freedom and Enchantment)

for us it was Harmony and Indy, and it was CROWDED even though the ships weren't even at full capacity yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.68a0492905da2dd2f0d3f3c825447b1d.jpeg

2 hours ago, BillOh said:

I feel sorry for the lifeguards standing there all day in that heat wearing the KN-95 masks!

m too. However, his job is probably much better than those of the majority, so he will probably wear the mask without complaint. Just a thought. But yeah - it's pretty miserable in that heat.

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

The buffet seemed to be stream lined.

No more steak and the shrimpies were tiny.

wait, you have shrimp??????

23 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

for us it was Harmony and Indy, and it was CROWDED even though the ships weren't even at full capacity yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.68a0492905da2dd2f0d3f3c825447b1d.jpeg

m too. However, his job is probably much better than those of the majority, so he will probably wear the mask without complaint. Just a thought. But yeah - it's pretty miserable in that heat.

Well, if you want to call the minute, itty bitty seafood thingies shrimp.

Before you could identify them as shrimp.

Now after guessing, I think they were the ones that RCI got on sale on our visit.

But, will check it out in August, to see if they let them mature.

Take care

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 8:33 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The poster was writing about Barefoot Beach, the beach for suite and/or pinnacle guests. The buffet is different from the general buffet.

We’ve been to Labadee /barefoot beach  a few times recently, on two different ships. The upgraded buffet was different per ship. Harmony had thin steaks and Mariner had (decent size for a buffet-similar to the shrimp cocktail on board,) shrimp as well as shrimp salad. A few other buffet items were different from each ship and also several items on the general buffet. Plenty of selection. 

A nice lunch treat 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone had any recent experience renting either a paddle board or kayak at any of the beaches? On our last cruise in 2017 we rented both at Nellie's beach. We had not reserved either in advance but rented them direct from one of the staff members set up along the beach. Our cruise planner doesn't show anything except for floating beach mats as an option for our upcoming cruise. Curious if we might still find the paddle boards and kayaks once we get there?

16 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The poster was writing about Barefoot Beach, the beach for suite and/or pinnacle guests. The buffet is different from the general buffet.

oooh, well, that makes a lot more sense. I was quite confused about the steak and shrimp....

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 6/29/2022 at 5:51 PM, jakeil7 said:

100% agree - we love Labadee and glad that we will get to return twice in August

Slightly off topic but...

I got a letter this morning from Royal regarding the Barefoot Beach Cabanas for our 12-18-22 Oasis sailing.  The letter informed that that the BB cabanas were available for rental and of course, that I should reserve mine ASAP !  LOL

In the past, the BB cabanas never went on sale publicly prior to boarding.  Star Class always got first options on reserving BB cabanas b/c the Genie would reach out long before the Suites Concierge so if you were SC and wanted a cabana, you basically waited until the Genie contacted you and then had the Genie reserve the cabana of your choice.  Then, once the Suites Concierge reached out to the rest of the suites (~5 days prior to sailing) the rest of the suites had their chance to reserve. Then, finally, any cabanas that were left unreserved could be reserved by suite guests once onboard.

Now, apparently, the BB cabanas will become just like the PDCC cabanas and will have to be reserved on a first come, first served basis. Not a huge deal...just a change.

image.png.c47467dbb86268ef8a78ec1e1d81ddc0.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Slightly off topic but...

I got a letter this morning from Royal regarding the Barefoot Beach Cabanas for our 12-18-22 Oasis sailing.  The letter informed that that the BB cabanas were available for rental and of course, that I should reserve mine ASAP !  LOL

In the past, the BB cabanas never went on sale publicly prior to boarding.  Star Class always got first options on reserving BB cabanas b/c the Genie would reach out long before the Suites Concierge so if you were SC and wanted a cabana, you basically waited until the Genie contacted you and then had the Genie reserve the cabana of your choice.  Then, once the Suites Concierge reached out to the rest of the suites (~5 days prior to sailing) the rest of the suites had their chance to reserve. Then, finally, any cabanas that were left unreserved could be reserved by suite guests once onboard.

Now, apparently, the BB cabanas will become just like the PDCC cabanas and will have to be reserved on a first come, first served basis. Not a huge deal...just a change.

image.png.c47467dbb86268ef8a78ec1e1d81ddc0.png

Funny, that is not even a valid phone number. It is missing a digit. The letter must have been written by IT.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1