Air Canada just cancelled my August flight -- don't snooze or you will lose

xcell

So I have been getting emails about a flight change for my upcoming August cruise. I called my TA a few days ago because I couldn't find the flight in the system and was concerned it would be cancelled. They said it was there but probably fully booked.  I did have at that time a chance to change the flight from late evening to early morning (only wanted direct to Miami) but didn't.

Fast forward to today, email at midnight saying that my flight was cancelled.

Called to rebook to early morning, they only had one seat, so then I had to change the airport to FLL and even earlier.

Any ways, if they offer a change -- just take it and don't think about your options otherwise, you might not have any.

Now just hoping I can get on that cruise....

Glad you were able to get a flight.  My flight isn't until Sept 06 into NY and I'm checking every day now to see how things are going.   There's always a chance the cancellation email doesn't go out.

I normally go a day early, BUT of course, this time I booked same day.  Hope I'm not sorry.

happytotravel

Ever since I started cruising, I follow the CC board advice, "the best insurance, is to go ahead a day." 

I fly in the day before but originally, I was to leave at 6 pm at night (which was first rescheduled to 7pm and now completely cancelled).  I thought then I would do first in the morning, in case my flight was delayed, cancelled, etc...  Now the other problem is how am I going to get to the airport so early?  Normally I take the Union Express but they don't start until 4:55 am and my flight is at 6:30 am.

Any one in Toronto use a car service to get to the airport?

3 minutes ago, xcell said:

I use a cab company, Oakville-Pearson, as they have an inexpensive flat-rate service, scaled by location.  10% discount if you book through their app.  Look online for the cab companies in your area to see if they offer Pearson flat-rates and app discounts.  They’re a lot more reasonable than a car service.

From the reports, one has a better chances of winning at the race track than a flight delivering one on the booked date and time. 

Even booking to arrive a day ahead of time seems chancy. 

Hopefully the situation will resolve itself soon. The US Secretary of Transportation has apparently warned the airlines to stop selling tickets that cannot be fulfilled. I hope Canada follows with the same warning.

1 hour ago, xcell said:

Ever since I started cruising, I follow the CC board advice, "the best insurance, is to go ahead a day." 

I fly in the day before but originally, I was to leave at 6 pm at night (which was first rescheduled to 7pm and now completely cancelled).  I thought then I would do first in the morning, in case my flight was delayed, cancelled, etc...  Now the other problem is how am I going to get to the airport so early?  Normally I take the Union Express but they don't start until 4:55 am and my flight is at 6:30 am.

We are in Aurora and use airtime limo service to get to the airport. Have been using them for years and they are always on time and great service!

7 minutes ago, everbeentoseabilly said:

We are in Aurora and use airtime limo service to get to the airport. Have been using them for years and they are always on time and great service!

9 minutes ago, Magicat said:

We use Airport Limo, not sure if I put their number here my post will get erased.  

thanks I will look them up -- what do you normally tip? per person? cost/percentage?

I think I am more worried about flights and luggage than Covid (covid was my worry in Dec 2022 cruise)

Edited by xcell

22 minutes ago, xcell said:

thanks I will look them up -- what do you normally tip? per person? cost/percentage?

I think I am more worried about flights and luggage than Covid (covid was my worry in Dec 2022 cruise)

I think my husband does a percentage on the credit card machine when he pays. The price had gone up slightly when we used them in April. 
yes our only worry in the spring was Covid and isolation, which we ended up with. For our September cruise it’s the flights and we may try to just have carry on. 

48 minutes ago, Magicat said:

We use Airport Limo, not sure if I put their number here my post will get erased.  

For future reference, posting the number for a taxi, limo or similar service is fine.

Gosh, I thought testing positive for COVID would be the only thing to keep us from sailing.  Now we have to worry about Air Canada.  We fly to Dublin July 20 and we do so hope it is not cancelled.

2 hours ago, xcell said:

Yes.  I often use Airflight Services (flat rate) or Uber.  Both are fine. 

If your early-morning schedule allows it and the subways are running,  you could also consider taking TTC (not Union Express). Take the Bloor/Danforth subway to Kipling, and from the Kipling bus platform, the 900 Airport Express bus to Terminals 1 or 3. Cost = one subway fare. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Gosh, I thought testing positive for COVID would be the only thing to keep us from sailing.  Now we have to worry about Air Canada.  We fly to Dublin July 20 and we do so hope it is not cancelled.

While no guarantee, Air Canada said they were cancelling only domestic and US flights. So unless there are issues at the other end you should be OK. At least I hope so; I am travelling to Nairobi via Frankfurt on July 11. 

• Like 2

Oh god, its not just Air Canada, they're all doing it. I had a perfect post cruise flight on Delta from Hawaii to Vancouver via Seattle for end of Sept, booked it like in January, got an email that it was changed to a red-eye, um no thanks thank god it was fully refundable, cancellefromd got my credit back in like 3 days, then the fun started. I re-booked with Alaska Airlines also thru Seattle great departure time (noon), then just out of curiosity checked my account on their website a few weeks later saw they now changed that flight out of Hawaii to a later time so we now couldn't connect in Seattle to Vancouver since it was the last flight of the day, NO EMAIL NO NOTHING to notify me at all, Cancelled it all to re-book again, flying from Seattle the next day, so now had to book a hotel in Seattle! A couple weeks after that, they changed the flight out of Hawaii BACK to the original time so we could have connected in Seattle now but I'm not changed it back. Paid for the hotel in Seattle with pts so its only costing $6, leaving things as they are and keeping my fingers crossed! Now I check Alaska Airlines every day sometimes a couple times a day to make sure the flights haven't changed since they don't even have the decency to email when they change things! OMG is this how travel is going to be from now on???

Edited by turnin50
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

While no guarantee, Air Canada said they were cancelling only domestic and US flights.

Problem with that is, unless you live in the GTA and can fly direct, almost every flight to Europe from the ROC connects through YYZ...and those are the domestic flights being affected 😞

If I can get to Toronto getting to Venice doesn't seem to be a problem...yet😨

Starting to think KLM might be a better option for us...

7 hours ago, xcell said:

Honestly I usually just book Beck Taxi or similar to get to the airport for very early morning flights. Usually comes out cheaper than the car service flat rates given the lack of traffic etc.

2 hours ago, Brian V said:

Problem with that is, unless you live in the GTA and can fly direct, almost every flight to Europe from the ROC connects through YYZ...and those are the domestic flights being affected 😞

If I can get to Toronto getting to Venice doesn't seem to be a problem...yet😨

Starting to think KLM might be a better option for us...

I do live in Toronto, which is definitely an advantage. 

KLM would not be an answer; Schiphol airport is in as bad shape as Pearson. 

I'm keeping an eye on round trips YYZ to YVR in Aug on WestJet and then YYZ to MIA in Nov on American. We always fly in a day early, but even before all this mess started we had decided to fly in 4 days early to YVR, and 2 days early for MIA. Fingers crossed that things will start smoothing out over the summer, but who knows.

23 hours ago, xcell said:

I always use :  Airflight Services    416 445 1999 

( free wake up calls too )

They arrive about 10 minutes early and wait in my driveway .

Its a limo service that goes by zone so they can quote you a price before you book with them . 

I live 15 minutes from Pearson so its not too expensive . 

I add the 15 % tip on the hand held machine when i pay with my credit card .  

21 hours ago, gnome12 said:

While no guarantee, Air Canada said they were cancelling only domestic and US flights. So unless there are issues at the other end you should be OK. At least I hope so; I am travelling to Nairobi via Frankfurt on July 11. 

Thank you so much for the reassurance.  We are flying non-stop to Dublin and hoping all goes well.  On the return trip we fly out of Schipol which we hear is bad too.  Hope your trip to Nairobi goes well too.  That's a long trip.

On 7/1/2022 at 1:16 PM, xcell said:

I tip 10% per trip

20 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Honestly I usually just book Beck Taxi or similar to get to the airport for very early morning flights. Usually comes out cheaper than the car service flat rates given the lack of traffic etc.

Taxis can be cheaper.  I like the peace of mind that when I order a car at 5 am there will be one there at that time.

On 7/1/2022 at 1:56 PM, Fouremco said:

For future reference, posting the number for a taxi, limo or similar service is fine.

Thanks.  Airport Limo in Toronto 1-800-465-3434

I'm trying to get a hold of Aeroplan/Air Canada because they haven't cancelled my flight but I've checked flight status for the last few days for what would match my flight time from Windsor to Toronto and they are all cancelled. It looks like they are cancelling them last minute but would prefer to have time to plan how I'd get to an airport.