What is the advantage of Air2Sea?

We are looking at a flight from Rome after our TA next spring, and it's dishearteningly expensive.  We looked into Air2Sea and our travel agent got us a price.

We looked at the airline that was listed, and we can get the same price if we book on our own.

So is there any advantage of booking through Royal? 

2 minutes ago, flamingos said:

We are looking at a flight from Rome after our TA next spring, and it's dishearteningly expensive.  We looked into Air2Sea and our travel agent got us a price.

We looked at the airline that was listed, and we can get the same price if we book on our own.

So is there any advantage of booking through Royal? 

Absolutely!  If there is a cancelled flight they will look for a new one for you.  Also, if you happen to cancel your cruise they will not charge you. 

If it's the same pricing...I would book directly with the airlines. That gives you more control over your flight. On the other hand if you would book with RCI you usually don't have to pay for the flight until your cruise final payment is due and you also can cancel the flight...right?

• Like 1

absolutely not. Its a consolidator ticket. There are restrictions involved. The ticket from Air2Sea is not the same as the ticket you buy direct from the airline

Having said that, there are some pluses but if you educate yourself on what you are buying and make a knowing and educated decision to buy from Air2Sea, then you can avail yourself of those positives. However, if operations go TU, you could find yourself at the bottom of the barrel looking for help.

You can educate yourself by reading this thread found in the Air Cruise section of Cruise Critic. Long reading, old thread, but still holds true today.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

As far as RCCL "Air to Sea" goes. It's almost always better to book directly with the airline or a TA.  A2S  doesn't give you any extra benefits. 

It gives you the benefit of locking in a flight and not having to pay until final payment, being able to cancel without penalty prior to final and getting it repriced until final.

• Like 3

Air2Sea also comes with Assured Arrival.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-protection-is-provided-with-an-air2sea-ticket

Q. What protection is provided when I purchase an Air2Sea ticket?

A. Guest purchasing airline tickets through Air2Sea who experience travel disruptions do indeed receive assistance. With our Assured Arrival program, we have a dedicated group of professionals in the Emergency Travel Team standing by to provide air re-accommodation, and to provide hotel and ground transportation if needed. Even though we monitor your flights, we ask that you check with the airline while at the airport prior to contacting the Emergency Travel Team. The Emergency Travel team will work with you to find accommodations on the next available flight. In some instances, same day viable flight options may not be available, and in those instances we accommodate you to the next available port where you may legally join the ship.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-protection-is-provided-with-an-air2sea-ticket

A. Guest purchasing airline tickets through Air2Sea who experience travel disruptions do indeed receive assistance. With our Assured Arrival program, we have a dedicated group of professionals in the Emergency Travel Team standing by to provide air re-accommodation, and to provide hotel and ground transportation if needed. Even though we monitor your flights, we ask that you check with the airline while at the airport prior to contacting the Emergency Travel Team. The Emergency Travel team will work with you to find accommodations on the next available flight. In some instances, same day viable flight options may not be available, and in those instances we accommodate you to the next available port where you may legally join the ship.

I recently saw someone who didnt make the ship booking this. Says they will fly you to the next port. Is this allowed post covid?

After seeing someones thread who didnt make their cruise I'll book direct a day earlier.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

I recently saw someone who didnt make the ship booking this. Says they will fly you to the next port. Is this allowed post covid?

After seeing someones thread who didnt make their cruise I'll book direct a day earlier.

There are always one offs with everything.  That was the first post that I can recall reading where that particular situationed happened.  While it can happen I would say that it is extremely rare.  As far as getting you to the next port, I have been told that they are now doing that again.

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Thanks, but this is for our return after a cruise.  I will keep it in mind for future cruises that might start in Europe.

A2S is worth checking for special consolidator fares, particularly international flights. If significant, go with A2S.

Other than that, you are better off booking directly to maintain control of your booking. It is far easier to make changes directly on the airline’s website than to have to call and do this through a third party. Also, inside final payment, A2S will charge a $$$ penalty for cancellations/changes even if the airline would not charge a penalty.

”Assured arrival” is misleading marketing. Like any travel agency, they will work with you to rebook missed/cancelled flights. That’s all. If you’ve been led to believe otherwise, consult A2S’s terms and conditions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baowen said:

I have got some crazy cheap rates by using air2sea. Mostly for first class international flights.

Same, though savings not always available saved over $1K using Air2Sea over direct purchase for TransAt Flight. 

10 hours ago, publicpersona said:

A2S is worth checking for special consolidator fares, particularly international flights. If significant, go with A2S.

2019 was the only time I used A2S. One way flight home from Amsterdam, $900 first class, which was a significant saving.

Yesterday I called for 1 way flights in 2023 from Europe. I provided 3 different airports on various dates. The price A2S quoted, from all 3 airports, was more than what I found online. I was certain I was dealing with a new employee who was quoting me incorrect prices. I called back, checked on 1 flight and received the same quote I was originally told. Not what I expected, surprised and disappointed at the prices A2S  gave.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twangster said:

Notice it says "will work with you"  and "legally join the ship". This is not a guarantee. One recent poster just had this experience and was stuck missing the cruise due to not being able to reschedule their flight (with A2S supposed help) and now they are fighting with RCCL about having missed their entire cruise as they missed their flight that A2S booked for them and was unable to rebook for them.

No matter who you book with always get travel insurance...IMHO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Notice it says "will work with you"  and "legally join the ship". This is not a guarantee. One recent poster just had this experience and was stuck missing the cruise due to not being able to reschedule their flight (with A2S supposed help) and now they are fighting with RCCL about having missed their entire cruise as they missed their flight that A2S booked for them and was unable to rebook for them.

No matter who you book with always get travel insurance...IMHO.

Absolutely. 

The "legally join the ship" used to impact Cuba cruises that departed from Florida and stopped in Key West as their first port of call.  If you missed the ship in Miami you could not join the ship in Key West and continue on to Cuba as that violates the PVSA.  My TA in 2017 made that very clear to me flying a red eye on Air2Sea arriving at 5am on the day of the cruise.   

In the same vane Seattle based cruises to Alaska do not allow guests to join the ship at an Alaskan port as that would result in a PVSA violation.

Air2Sea is not travel insurance.  Doing their best is just that.  The limitations are well known for anyone who doesn't glance at Assured Arrival and set their expectations inappropriately.  They can't circumvent federal law and in today's crazy flight environment they can't add seats on planes to accommodate guests disrupted by airline cancellations.  Their best is dealing with the airlines that today don't leave many or any options given the way airlines are overbooking and cancelling so many flights this summer.  

Assured Arrival has been rendered less potent this summer by the practices of the airline industry.  It's not clear yet if Assured Arrival will regain some of its limited powers for 2023 cruises and beyond.

• Like 1