First cruise with RCI coming up - not at all impressed

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

And this is based on your extensive work in the grocery business🤔

Exactly, worked 30 years as a Manager in a Grocery Store.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the definition.  I wasn't sure what it meant.  All ships are having their problems right now.  As far as ports being missed think about the incidents that have happened.   What happened to the people cruising on the Carnival ship that had the fire? The ship that went aground in the Dominican Republic.    Look at the CDC website.  Seems all ships are showing orange.  Staff shortages are also a problem for all tourist sectors - ships and on land.  Is Royal perfect - of course not.  The website does get frustrating.  Having to check prices by doing a dummy booking  is so time consuming.  But if one has all these complaints before the cruise, then I would think the cruise is already doomed.  I cannot let the small things bother me.  As far as being a cheerleader - well I will leave that up to others to determine.  Every cruise line has its strengths and weaknesses as well as each ship.  Aren't we glad that we have so many choices.  

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Odd that you avoid reading the good reviews.

You are truly blessed

I don't  read that closely the reviews from known Royal Cheerleader's, they tend to leave out the bad.

Don't ask me who are the cheerleader's are on here either, because you know who you are. Only the true cheerleader's would continue to quote  me time after time on some on my opinions. Otherwise you would just read my posts and move on.

Well anyway back to the reviews, I rather read reviews from first timer cruisers on Royal. They tend to be more truthful.

But you are correct I don't read EVERY review, because I'm just not sitting here 24/7 reading reviews.

Edited by Jimbo

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I don't  read that closely the reviews from known Royal Cheerleader's, they tend to leave out the bad.

Rather read them from first timer cruisers on Royal. They tend to be more truthful.

But you are correct I don't read EVERY review, because I'm just not sitting here 24/7 reading reviews.

So, you only like reading the negative.  That tells us a lot.  That's not the way to get a balanced opinion on anything.   

BTW, is there a list of these known "cheerleaders"?   Asking for a friend.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Don't ask me who are the cheerleader's are on here either, because you know who you are. Only the true cheerleader's would continue to quote  me time after time on some on my opinions. Otherwise you would just read my posts and move on.

Well anyway back to the reviews, I rather read reviews from first timer cruisers on Royal. They tend to be more truthful.

Honestly sad you feel this way.

Bitterness isn't healthy

• Like 2

Probably my last 60 cruises has been on RCCL.  I've been on many Carnival cruises including the Inaugural Cruise for the Sensation circa 1990.  Both lines have a lot to offer, IMHO.  There isn't much different in the food quality, quantity or food service between the two lines.  Staff is about the same with most being friendly and capable.  We started on RCCL and just seemed to be more of what we were looking for like sniffing corks and such!

Bill

• Haha 2

Well, I went on an Alaska cruise last month.  I booked it myself w/o help of TA.  I managed two price adjustments and a room change by calling on the phone.  I booked excursions on their webpage.  No issues.  At the dock, I managed to get a Covid test with no issues, and only complaint is that I had to get a covid test.  I got to dock at my scheduled time, and when I got to the gangway, they gave me a paper and said, there is a slight change in the trip, and the changes and excursion process was listed.  Excursions were canceled were credited to OBC to be used on any new ones you wanted, or you could request a refund.  New port, no issues, with booking something on the app, you know, the iPhone thing.  Got off the ship no issues.  Long story short, no complications, that the web pages could not handle, and the slight change did not dampen my happiness on the cruise.  

I'm a cheerleader because I had no issues.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, I dunno... I've been booking through the cruise line's websites for about 9 years and I am happy with all of their websites.

Some people have hours to waste sitting on hold.

Most have better things too do..

11 minutes ago, Ky Bill said:

Probably my last 60 cruises has been on RCCL.  I've been on many Carnival cruises including the Inaugural Cruise for the Sensation circa 1990.  Both lines have a lot to offer, IMHO.  There isn't much different in the food quality, quantity or food service between the two lines.  Staff is about the same with most being friendly and capable.  We started on RCCL and just seemed to be more of what we were looking for like sniffing corks and such!

Bill

Most of our cruises have been on Carnival.  Their 50% military discount was too good to pass up back in the day.  I felt the food quality and selection was great.  That has not been the case in the past 5 years or so.  They offer many great free fast food type options, but I miss the quality offered in the MDR and buffet.  While the staff tried very hard, they were overworked and service suffered.  I haven't given up on Carnival, but for now we are Royal cruisers.       

Other than to stir the pot and rabble-rouse, was there a point to this thread?  

Let  me pull out my magic-8 ball, and ask.  Magic 8 ball, is the OP going to have a crappy cruise because he already has decided to? 

3FFAB3D0-6D43-4F12-B2F5-AEBC7FFE9207.jpeg.7cc25f9e596cb0a7339ff3de9571a0f1.jpeg

I suggest canceling and saving your great in-laws the money.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Some people have hours to waste sitting on hold.

not sure what you mean. I book online, not on the phone. Never had to call to correct something booked online. I simply mean that the websites are not as convoluted as some people are saying.