Temperature check

50 minutes ago, cruises89 said:

Do they scan your temperature in each port? It is a med cruise if that matters

Nope. NCL uses a facial recognition system to get off/on the ship. That facial recognition system does temp checks of everyone leaving and coming back on. Royal does not do that. 

In March, 2022 while we were on the ADoS we were at several port that did have a temperature machine you had to walk through to gain admittance to the island.  Saint Barts and Saint Kitts were the two which come to mind.  I don't know if they are still doing it.

Bill

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ky Bill said:

In March, 2022 while we were on the ADoS we were at several port that did have a temperature machine you had to walk through to gain admittance to the island.  Saint Barts and Saint Kitts were the two which come to mind.  I don't know if they are still doing it.

Bill

Hmmm....Interesting, we had a port day in St Kitts onboard Explorer also in March and certainly didn't see this.

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Last July they did temperature checks on the cruises out of Nassau, but none since.

Most quickly realized how useless temperature checks were for covid

As is wiping down every surface within reach and crew members wearing rubber gloves - although that is likely to persist.  The only thing those gloves do is keep the wearers hands clean.  They wear gloves for an extended period and touch multiple surfaces, so what good do those gloves do?

16 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

As is wiping down every surface within reach and crew members wearing rubber gloves - although that is likely to persist.  The only thing those gloves do is keep the wearers hands clean.  They wear gloves for an extended period and touch multiple surfaces, so what good do those gloves do?

At least wiping things down does have other benefits on a cruise ship, like preventing norovirus spread. It just won't do anything for covid. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Do they scan your temperature in each port? It is a med cruise if that matters

Why are you asking?  Not really something anyone can answer definitely on these boards, since it can change weekly, and per port and even randomly

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

They wear gloves for an extended period and touch multiple surfaces, so what good do those gloves do?

It keeps them from picking their noses!  😜 

Seriously, though, gloves will keep a person from touching their face and then possibly transferring infected respiratory fluids onto surfaces, so I guess they do some good!

1 hour ago, island lady said:

If RCI follows suit as to other cruise lines sailing out of Europe, dropping the Covid tests...perhaps the temperature check at boarding may take it's place?   

Let's hope not.  Imagine standing outside the terminal in the hot sun waiting for your assigned boarding time only to have your sunburnt forehead pop a 100F and you get denied boarding! ☹️  Something similar happened to me once when trying to donate blood - they had us lined up outside in the sun waiting to enter the bloodmobile and 2/3 of donors were turned away due to our temps being too high.

7 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Why so certain? Just saw a video on YT where people tetting checked while disembarking at a port in Europe.

The OP's keyword was "each port".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

It keeps them from picking their noses!  😜 

Seriously, though, gloves will keep a person from touching their face and then possibly transferring infected respiratory fluids onto surfaces, so I guess they do some good!

As part of a public health course several years ago, we cultured several surfaces in a food prep and service operation.  The rubber gloves worn by the staff grew some of the nastiest cultures in petrie dishes that I've ever seen.  

Sometime when you have some time, sit and watch people wearing rubber gloves in a food establishment as see how many surfaces they touch and then see if they handle any food or utensils where cross contamination can occur. Just this past week at a nice restaurant I watched one of the workers bus a table, sweep up some crumbs with a broom and dustpan, and then pour four glasses of iced tea and insert four unwrapped straws into the glasses by touching the same surface that would be going into someone's mouth.  

I asked the manager why the workers were all wearing gloves. She replied, "for sanitation".  I explained that the gloves don't sanitize anything and by wearing them while touching multiple surfaces does nothing towards sanitation.

Think about this the next time you see food workers wearing rubber gloves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Because it somewhat takes away the «stressfree» vacation mode. 

We were on a B2B at the end of June.  I am sorry that you would be stressed with having to do a temperature check.  If I had a fever I wouldn’t be going on an excursion, or getting off the ship at a port.  

28 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

...Think about this the next time you see food workers wearing rubber gloves.

No kidding!  I see poor practices like that all the time.  It must be why I have such a good immune system! 🤣

Temperature checks were the knee-jerk response to monitoring COVID before tests became available.  Failed to prove effective and although some original COVID sufferers had high flu like temperatures, there was little correlation between body temperature and COVID .  Plus easily faked if you did have a temperature.