More cruises or nicer cabins?

3 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

What's VP?

Vista Panoramic Suite. Added to deck 12 forward. 36' of floor to ceiling glass right above bridge. Also includes a half bath and a bunk room.

Tons of storage

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Vista Panoramic Suite. Added to deck 12 forward. 36' of floor to ceiling glass right above bridge. Also includes a half bath and a bunk room.

Tons of storage

Very cool looking room that we bid on for the hell of it knowing we had no shot.

I’d much rather have that than a JS if they really are close to the same price.

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Tons of storage

I book em when I can find em. Only two and they usually go fast.
Have one booked on the 14 day Adventure Repo in Oct. 

Cruising in an inside cabin was great. Until I booked my first balcony cabin. I sometimes consider booking an inside but could never pull the trigger. I don't know if booking that first balcony was the smartest thing I could have done or the dumbest. Because now I feel like I can't go back.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Try a VP on Voyager or Freedom Class if balcony not important. Huge space, full suite benefits, and similar price point to JS

We do enjoy the balcony but we would try a VP. Maybe I’ll have to find one when Voyager comes to PC.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

We sail suites on Oasis and Quantum class when we find a great bargain, balcony on older, smaller ships. We DO spend time in our cabin, so a balcony is a necessity for us. We don’t stay at the beach without an ocean view either. We also bought our home because it has an amazing mountain view. 

Everyone is different though. If this isn’t a priority for you, then go for those inside cabins and more cruising! 🙂 You do what works for you.

• Like 2

Wife and I had a junior suite on our honeymoon, later a big aft balcony room on Celebrity's Constellation, and we've had inside and Royal Promenade view insides. Unless considering a major occasion like an anniversary, or a big jump in price has little impact on you, I'm solidly in the 'save money, cruise more' camp.

An inside stateroom works fine for us. Even with our (now age 9) daughter. 

A junior suite offers double crown and anchor points, more space, access to Coastal Kitchen I'm told, and a bathtub (which I've learned some females prefer over showering), but at a price roughly double. I'm not paying that much.

A balcony is fairly nice, but not worth several hundred dollars to use for a week when we can go up to the pool deck area and have a fine view for free. The idea of coughing up a lot of money so sit on that little area by a little table staring at the sea...no. I could buy a souped up iPad I'd enjoy for years for that money.

Not paying several hundred more just to have a window view of the ocean, either, so ocean view is out.

Royal Promenade view inside rooms are cool; my wife and daughter people watch and if the room only adds a couple hundred or so to trip cost, for a 7-day cruise, that seems reasonable. 

• Like 1

I prefer balcony's with the rare suite thrown in.  However, when I retire I might be inclined to switch to insides in order cruise more often.  I'm considering booking a short Navigator one for Sept but DW doesn't really want to go because we will have just been on Ovation from Alaska.  I'm looking at single pricing and there are some decent prices for singles.

if inside is OK, then take a shot for a balcony. We have done this and had some luck in the past. Checking in, I always ask, is the ship full,  if not a deal may be there. we have got some good ones, I mean good, in the past nothing to loose.

My husband is still working, so we are limited on time.   I think once we are both retired, we will try a inside cabin and see how it goes.  I am not sure how many weeks that we will want to be at sea.  My gut is that we will want to cruise less in balcony or suite cabins, but I am honestly not sure.  We want to go to South America and Asia on longer cruises and inside cabins would certainly help the budget.  We used to use the balcony quite a bit, but on the last few cruises we have used it less.    I guess we will see.   

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

I book em when I can find em. Only two and they usually go fast.
Have one booked on the 14 day Adventure Repo in Oct. 

Our last on Adventure had a crack in one of the windows. December 2019 I believe.

We were in port side suite 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I prefer balcony's with the rare suite thrown in.  However, when I retire I might be inclined to switch to insides in order cruise more often.  I'm considering booking a short Navigator one for Sept but DW doesn't really want to go because we will have just been on Ovation from Alaska.  I'm looking at single pricing and there are some decent prices for singles.

FWIW, on some itineraries the balcony is close to the inside price with C&A discount

47 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We do enjoy the balcony but we would try a VP. Maybe I’ll have to find one when Voyager comes to PC.

mac_tlc

Mariner here now. We have a 4/5 b2b in one

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our last on Adventure had a crack in one of the windows. December 2019 I believe.

We were in port side suite 

We’re in 1804 - Starboard on this one. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Garycruz said:

Cruising in an inside cabin was great. Until I booked my first balcony cabin. I sometimes consider booking an inside but could never pull the trigger. I don't know if booking that first balcony was the smartest thing I could have done or the dumbest. Because now I feel like I can't go back.

Really not that hard. We've sailed as high as STAR and go back and forth all the time.

No more STAR though. Not a good value to us

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Really not that hard. We've sailed as high as STAR and go back and forth all the time.

No more STAR though. Not a good value to us

I get the feeling that non-cruise people think everyone pays STAR pricing.  I often get "It must be nice to have money to cruise all the time."  Some of my cruises it was cheaper to cruise than stay home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

I get the feeling that non-cruise people think everyone pays STAR pricing.  I often get "It must be nice to have money to cruise all the time."  Some of my cruises it was cheaper to cruise than stay home.

In the middle of our condo remodel, dust got unbearable for the wife. I put her on Harmony for a week. It was cheaper than a hotel and food for a week

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I choose whatever is the best "value" for each sailing.  Could be inside, outside, or balcony.  Had a 2BR GS once, but that was a free upgrade in exchange for giving up 2 OV cabins on a full sailing.

^ this

I would choose more cruises, however I would choose longer cruises with more interesting itineraries 

• Like 1

I would say more cruises, which means a variety of places you can go see.  Find new ports to visit and enjoy the cruise.  If you want to see the outside just go up a few decks and there ya go.  I've had balcony's and rarely go on them.  Maybe in the evening it is relaxing to sit out there and list to the ocean, but I would want to see more ports and explore the world.

• Like 1