Don't take on a cruise....

Canuker

On 7/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, rkacruiser said:

Do the Customs Agents in New Zealand and Australia still have dogs that sniff bags/packages that are taken off a ship?  

Should think so  they still have them at the airports - we don't have any cruises at the moment post covid - they are approved to come but its the middle of winter - they will restart in October  Ithink 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:00 PM, cableguynoe said:

Your mother-in-law

My first two cruises were with my MIL! I almost never went on another cruise!!!

Subsequently, my husband has taken MY mother on FOUR cruises! 

As far as the question: I don't take anything (except for medical and first aid items) that we didn't use the last time. Yes, @lissie, I even stopped taking my swimsuit.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:32 AM, wcook said:

Note: while meat and poultry are strictly prohibited from being brought into Canada, you can bring in up to 4kg of fish. Or one fish if larger.  Gotta love the people who write such laws. 

Meat and poultry have a higher chance to pass on communicable diseases that could devastate the local industry. Fish products don't have that issue, that's why the discrepancy in rules. 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:39 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Is this true for packaged snacks?  We are hopefully cruising Australia/New Zealand nexs winter and I always bring some packaged snacks, such as granola/energy bars in case my husband needs something for low blood sugar in ports and also packaged chocolates just for a treat during the day.

Processed packaged foods are mostly OK but try to avoid things with meat, eggs or dairy to be safe. And chocolate does not need to be declared, in fact Aussie customs wants travellers to stop declaring chocolate😆, it is considered the most over declared safe item. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Meat and poultry have a higher chance to pass on communicable diseases that could devastate the local industry. Fish products don't have that issue, that's why the discrepancy in rules. 

Processed packaged foods are mostly OK but try to avoid things with meat, eggs or dairy to be safe. And chocolate does not need to be declared, in fact Aussie customs wants travellers to stop declaring chocolate😆, it is considered the most over declared safe item. 

Thank you!  Good to know we won't be fined for a few snacks!  I remember traveling to California by car back in the 60's and my elderly grandmother desperately trying to eat some very old looking oranges before we crossed the border because she didn't want to waste them--California has very strict laws on bring produce in from other states.  We just couldn't convince her to just throw them away!

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, Markanddonna said:

🙄My eye roll needs to be more dramatic than this. Did the Shih Tzu also come with his stroller?

Had one of those on the Carnival Sunrise New England/Canada cruise back in October of 2019.  It  was next door to us on the aft and had a litter box type thing on the balcony.  Stroller included

Edited by mandmcruise

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Thank you!  Good to know we won't be fined for a few snacks!  I remember traveling to California by car back in the 60's and my elderly grandmother desperately trying to eat some very old looking oranges before we crossed the border because she didn't want to waste them--California has very strict laws on bring produce in from other states.  We just couldn't convince her to just throw them away!

We have Fruit Fly Exclusion zones that work in the same way, any fruit from outside the zone has to be dumped or eaten. They usually have bins on the side of the road just before you enter the zone and sometimes you will see people trying to chow down on what they have left😂. I often wonder if they are as diligent about the food in their own fridges🤪

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

We have Fruit Fly Exclusion zones that work in the same way, any fruit from outside the zone has to be dumped or eaten. They usually have bins on the side of the road just before you enter the zone and sometimes you will see people trying to chow down on what they have left😂. I often wonder if they are as diligent about the food in their own fridges🤪

Yep, they have the bins too.  Grandma probably would be the same at home--you should see the horrible black bananas she tried to get us to eat!  And on the same trip, we have an infamous family story about her trying to get everyone to finish up a pot of cream that wasn't used at a cafe--"Here, don't you want some nice cream?" As she offered it to everyone.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 4:21 PM, rkacruiser said:

Don't take on a cruise the Brother of one''s girl friend.  (Wasn't my idea, he decided he wanted to go and my friend couldn't say no.)  

Or, your secret paramour and your significant other, very messy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Or, your secret paramour and your significant other, very messy!

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

If you do, at least get them separate cabins, preferably far apart!

This is starting to sound like an old episode of "Love Boat"...

• Haha 1

Apparently the wife-and-mistress plot came up multiple times on Love Boat. For example:

. While on a cruise in the Netherlands, Vicki (Jill Whelan) hooks up with a new crew member (Patrick Cassidy), who is being sought by Interpol. A man (Pat Harrington Jr.) who is with his wife (Eileen Brennan), discovers his mistress (Teri Copley) is also on the ship. The Captain (Gavin MacLeod) is taken with a woman (Elke Sommer) who, for some reason, tries to keep him at bay. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Not too late to do so, perhaps.  Me TV sometimes show The Love Boat.  

I believe it is on MeTV which is on my cable system. The show I somewhat regularly watch on MeTV is Perry Mason.

• Like 1