Are Airfares Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

2 hours ago, TechDiva said:

That's a lot!  What seats are you selecting? 

We (4 people) flew from ATL via Delta to FLL in June for about $350 each, round trip.  But, that's for main cabin seats (not basic).  I just really don't want to take that long drive either.  We're cruising again in September and I haven't decided yet whether we're flying or driving but I just priced Delta for our dates and seats are $268 each.

Main cabin. Believe me, if there was any way to get it cheaper we would get it cheaper. It would be slightly less expensive  if we were willing to take a super early flight or a super late flight or if we were flying in or out on Wednesdays, but flying in the day before (Usually of Friday) and out of (usually Sunday) the rates have been nuts. Our last one crossed Easter weekend which probably didn’t help, but nothing is happening mid August. 😳 Thankfully I managed to use two of our Amex companion seats for two of our flights (August/December). 

Here is a screen shot of the best options for the Atl to MIA  (the flight in shows $328, but all flights for 11 am or after on Sunday is higher then we fees/taxes it is 1284 total.

495611CE-83C9-48F6-83FC-96E1FD767AD8.jpeg

Edited by AlohaLivin

17 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Main cabin. Believe me, if there was any way to get it cheaper we would get it cheaper. It would be slightly less expensive  if we were willing to take a super early flight or a super late flight or if we were flying in or out on Wednesdays, but flying in the day before (Usually of Friday) and out of (usually Sunday) the rates have been nuts. Our last one crossed Easter weekend which probably didn’t help, but nothing is happening mid August. 😳 Thankfully I managed to use two of our Amex companion seats for two of our flights (August/December). 

Here is a screen shot of the best options for the Atl to MIA  (the flight in shows $328, but all flights for 11 am or after on Sunday is higher then we fees/taxes it is 1284 total.

495611CE-83C9-48F6-83FC-96E1FD767AD8.jpeg

Maybe it's because you're going into Miami.  I repriced our flights going into Miami and it was a little higher.  Here's a screenshot of the flights that we would take in September (if we fly).  We're going on Allure, so we would fly into FLL (and only the adults are going this time 🙂 )

We're considering driving so I don't have to worry about how much luggage I bring 😉

AllureFlights.png

3 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We fly SW a lot.  The main reason is we get 2 free bags each and we can cancel our flight, or change it and pay the difference with no issues.

Same here. SW is almost always cheaper, and their change policy is great. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TechDiva said:

Maybe it's because you're going into Miami.  I repriced our flights going into Miami and it was a little higher.  Here's a screenshot of the flights that we would take in September (if we fly).  We're going on Allure, so we would fly into FLL (and only the adults are going this time 🙂 )

We're considering driving so I don't have to worry about how much luggage I bring 😉

AllureFlights.png

Miami def seems to be higher than Orlando or most other FLA ports. Fort Lauderdale if often a good bit cheaper but usually the extra  transportation can eat up the difference. We had to use Fort Lauderdale  for the December cruise out of the port of  Miami as there were no companion tickets options for those dates for Miami (and I was determined to use that voucher before it expired!). I think I could live with driving to Port Canaveral, I’m not sure I could live with driving to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. But should these prices persist, I may change my mind or my residence!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've only seen carnival going to progresso since restart. If they went to progresso I think they went on carnival.

Every short rcl I've seen goes to costa maya. Maybe there were some I missed, but havent seen rcl and progresso. I've had all the costa maya I ever want to see.

We did a five day on the Adventure out of Galveston that stopped in Progresso in March.  The reason that we chose that particular cruise is that we had never been to Progresso.  Unless we plan to the Mayan ruins, we don't plan to go to that particular port again.  

8 hours ago, slyster said:

the higher prices?  I'm used to $300-$400....not $700-$800.

OK, I have to say the obvious...  In February, I paid $3.49 for fuel.  Two weeks ago, it was $5.59.  

Airlines don't have to discount anymore to fill empty seats.  Load factors three years ago would run in the 75-85% level.  Last week was 94%.  There are very few empty seats anymore to sell at a discount.

Those same increases that we've all had to deal with at the pump are now manifesting themselves in airfare.

Now for the less obvious.... 

There's a pilot shortage that's been brewing for years...  With fewer military pilots, plus a change in pilot qualifications passed into law in 2013, there haven't been enough pilots in the pipleline to backfill mandatory retirement at age 65.  You can't just create pilots -- it takes years of training for them to earn the 1500 hours (the minimum that the FAA allows for a commercial pilot thanks to a law change from 2013).

Throw all that together, and it's why there are fewer flights today than there were in 2019.  Absent a change in the law to either lower the minimum hours or raise the mandatory retirement age, you might see fewer flights continuing into 2023 and beyond.  

Fewer flights means airlines don't have to discount to fill empty seats.  Load factors three years ago would run in the 75-85% level.  Last week was 94%.

• Thanks 1

We have a cruise booked in November out of Fort Lauderdale, I check daily and right now airfare for two is $1100.00 from Detroit, eek. Well, I’ll only fly Delta and since I’m an extremely anxious flyer, only non-stop. I check daily so hoping prices drop somewhat.

Not just cruising, rethinking all trips that require airfare (even with an employee discount). It was cheaper for us to drive from Dallas to Orlando in May than it would have been to fly. Gas + 4 nights in a hotel + food over 6 days + parking at Disney was cheaper than 4 coach tickets + transportation between the hotel and airport. We also drive to Huntsville, AL this week for camp for our boys because of the airfare/rental car prices. Thankfully its not as long of a drive. 

DFW to SEA is currently about $400 per seat before my discount for our cruise next summer. We are definitely not making that drive. 

22 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Our flights have been $1000-$1200 R/T from Atlanta to anywhere in FLA these last months and through December 2022. It hurts, definitely, but for now we have booked cruises and I can stomach that better than an 11-hour drive one way - at least in the short term. If this continues, we will calculate the balance again.

I don’t know if you’re actually in Atlanta or some distance away, but if you’re far enough east, Amtrak might be an option instead of driving. I think the lines that run to Florida stop in Savannah but it may be in the wee hours. Probably only worth it if you’re going all the way to Miami, then it cuts your trip by about 75%. Anything closer and you may as well drive the whole way. 

9 hours ago, poocher said:

My daughter moved to Florida (still trying to bribe her home) in 2010.  So I fly CT to MCO several times a year.  I have always been able to get SWA flights for $200 or less RT, about 12,000 points.  Now that same 12,000 only gets a $160ish fare.  So not only have fares gone up but the points for that fare have gone up.  

I feel your pain, my daughter moved to JAX and flights have nearly doubled this year. It used to be worth flying down for a long weekend but not now. And United points values are no better. Once in a while I’m lucky with Jet Blue but usually only one way, so I have to find a return flight with a different airline. 

39 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I don’t know if you’re actually in Atlanta or some distance away, but if you’re far enough east, Amtrak might be an option instead of driving. I think the lines that run to Florida stop in Savannah but it may be in the wee hours. Probably only worth it if you’re going all the way to Miami, then it cuts your trip by about 75%. Anything closer and you may as well drive the whole way. 

Interesting thought - we are petty close in  (suburbs in metro county, just NE of the city). I will check that option out, definitely need to consider alternative as we get closer to retirement when we will be cruising 6-10x a year!  👍🏼😊

On 7/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, HicksRA said:

Are any others rethinking some cruises based on the current steep airfares?  

I found a pretty good deal on an Alaskan cruise last month, but airfares were so high I decided not to book it although I would have otherwise.  

Not at all. 

I just booked our tickets to Seattle for an Alaska cruise next month. 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

My eyes may be blurry from too much work today, but from what I can see Amtrak goes to points west and N/NE only from ATL - to get to Miami means a trip to NC first logging 43 hours one way 😳🤯  oh well!

Edited by AlohaLivin

We are flying LAX to Orlando in late September. With points & cash I booked American Air First Class.  My husband & I stretched our vacation to land ( a LBV Resort) & sea (Harmony Cruise) But, No Theme Parks 😂😂!  

Since booking in early 2022 our tickets have gone up literally a few dollars short of $1,000 (Total (2) R/T).  Wow!!!! This is a first for us, it’s NEVER happened, that kind of spike in price ✈️

I have our cruise booked for Miami September 2023. Just have to wait & see what is happening then … I’ll switch  locations if need be.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

10 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Remember the good ole days when you could find $99 to all the major cities on both coasts  all day long and twice on Sundays.  Back in the 70's we once flew to London on United for $99 one way!  Used to fly from San Antonio to Dallas for $36.  Southwest was dirt cheap!

During the pandemic (2020 and first half of 2021) I was flying all over the place for $79 on SW, plane all to myself, it was great 😂

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Thats why i fly out now First thing in the morning the day before the cruise..Gives you a little more room

Agree. First flight of the day.  Nonstops if possible.  And, long haul/international flights seemed to be much more dependable than regional flights.  This worked well for us because of how we travel.  Now days, I'm not so sure, but would think that is still the case.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I look at total cost including bag. Just because it's free doesn't change the equation 

70 lb weight limit on Business Class is a big plus

It is a big plus.  Usually, we get two 50 lb checked bags.  I would happily trade that for one 70 pounder.   

12 hours ago, zeberdee said:

We were looking at a Caribbean cruise but have decided not to book it as the air fare from the uk is more than the cost of the cruise ( balcony 2d). Next may return flight London Heathrow to MCO is £2573.12 which is approx. $3345.00.

Madness..... 

Presume you're looking at business class?, BA is showing under £500 for YCL and around £1000 for prem economy. 

I was checking MIA though so maybe MCO is more 

12 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Presume you're looking at business class?, BA is showing under £500 for YCL and around £1000 for prem economy. 

I was checking MIA though so maybe MCO is more 

Thank you for the info,

The flights are PE with Virgin Atlantic, we don't use BA as we have been let down in the past.

The cruise is out of Port Canaveral, so not really worth flying to MIA for the extra hassle. 

We're now looking at other options rather than a cruise. 

• Like 1

Yes, price of airfare is affecting our future cruise plans. If we didn't have FCCs to cover our October cruise, we probably would have driven to a beach instead this year. Our airfare to Orlando would basically be the cost of one person in the cabin. Driving to a beach next year is looking better right now.

2 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Thank you for the info,

The flights are PE with Virgin Atlantic, we don't use BA as we have been let down in the past.

The cruise is out of Port Canaveral, so not really worth flying to MIA for the extra hassle. 

We're now looking at other options rather than a cruise. 

We live about an hour east or north of MCO. 

Definetely booked through MIA to save $1000 a ticket twice now.