Are Airfares Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

2 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

HA!  We have for years, in fact I'd say maybe 65% Galveston until we moved here to Arkansas, now we continue to drive down to Galveston for shorties.  7 days will always be out of FL.

What's a shortie from Galveston?

Do they still go to Progresso

Our only trip from Galveston was a TA  to Rome in 2005.

I flew there from Dulles

Edited by John&LaLa

Coz and back for 4 day, Coz and Progresso or Costa Maya for 5 day.,

Our 7 day was always either the western route, Roatan, Coz or Jamaica Cayman routes  out of Gal.  The other percentage were big ships to Bahamas or West Indies islands.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Coz and back for 4 day, Coz and Progresso or Costa Maya for 5 day.,

Our 7 day was always either the western route, Roatan, Coz or Jamaica Cayman routes  out of Gal.  The other percentage were big ships to Bahamas or West Indies islands.

Weekend cruises are a big draw for FL. Shame those don't work down there. 

Someone should convert a couple of oil platforms into a floating island then make that a destination 😉

• Haha 2

We decided to Drive from NC to Port Canaveral for our next cruise.  Its about 8-9 Hours. Every flight I have been on in the last year has either been delayed or cancelled.  I want to be in control of my travel there and back.  

The airline I take doesn't have pricing in place for next march yet anyway.  If the price drops alot between now and then I might still consider flying.  

• Like 1

We’d drive if it was less then a day.  We’re about 6 hours from Galveston, 8 to NOLA and that’s fine.  It’s a 22 hour drive to Florida non stop which is a lot of gas, time and wear and tear on the car.   We won’t be driving unless planes don’t fly.  

We do get tired of Galveston although we haven’t been on Liberty for 5 years with the pandemic.  It’s all the same ports of call.  It will help when Allure and then Harmony come so at least the change in ship will be nice.  

We considered moving to Florida but it was too far from the kids.  We made the right choice. But buying that airfare hurts and it’s not fun to fly anymore.  

Our December Harmony cruise (FLL) was very reasonable then the airfare. Holy cats!  $1400 rt from DEN-FLL & that’s SW. which will also require 2 1-way car rentals (as airport garage parking has jumped from $120 to $400 for same time length. April 2022 we flew first class from COS-FLL for $1000rt. Nuts!

but the cruise price was good…

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 3eaglesfam said:

We decided to Drive from NC to Port Canaveral for our next cruise.  Its about 8-9 Hours. Every flight I have been on in the last year has either been delayed or cancelled.  I want to be in control of my travel there and back.  

The airline I take doesn't have pricing in place for next march yet anyway.  If the price drops alot between now and then I might still consider flying.  

We used to do the Atlanta to PC drive all the time. Going down we'd spend Saturday night with in-laws, then direct home. Typically 8 hours.

I didn't always live in FL😉

2 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Our December Harmony cruise (FLL) was very reasonable then the airfare. Holy cats!  $1400 rt from DEN-FLL & that’s SW. which will also require 2 1-way car rentals (as airport garage parking has jumped from $120 to $400 for same time length. April 2022 we flew first class from COS-FLL for $1000rt. Nuts!

but the cruise price was good…

Good price is hard to beat. 

Our GS on Voyager was only 2 grand, but when I add in flights and hotels in Copenhagen it goes uo to 10 grand. But it's 11 nights, so that works out fine. Gotta look at big picture

Oh yes and we are coming in 2 days over 1 day before cruise because flights are so bad. Found a direct flight and it was 600 per person to Mia and I was happy to book it. Something that used to be 250 ish.   

John I assume at that price you’re not flying coach!  

I did book refundable rates for our Australian adventure in 2024 since we don’t know how crazy the airfare will get.  But sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and do it anyway.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Typically, but not sure given context

Also guessing not referring to the SAME TA in each instance ie flew domestic on a TA coming to the US to then going home.  Flew international to a TA departing in Europe, maybe the same TA here?

Edited by poocher

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

What's a shortie from Galveston?

Do they still go to Progresso

Our only trip from Galveston was a TA  to Rome in 2005.

I flew there from Dulles

I've only seen carnival going to progresso since restart. If they went to progresso I think they went on carnival.

Every short rcl I've seen goes to costa maya. Maybe there were some I missed, but havent seen rcl and progresso. I've had all the costa maya I ever want to see.

12 hours ago, arlodog said:

We are doing our first B2B in November because I can't justify paying $600pp for airfare for 1 week (at least that is what I am telling myself 🙂 )  We are looking forward to it!

We have been trying to do the same - 2 of our next 4 are B2B. Just makes sense when possible whether flying or driving 👍🏼

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FL cruises ate lame enough after a while. I couldn't imagine just going out of Galveston over and over.

PC is doing new southern itineraries to Bermuda and also Southern Caribbean.  Those have added some new life into our choices.

Radiance is doing 9 and 10 day. I wanted a b2b but oasis is in the way and settled for just the 10 day to Panama and Columbia. Two of the 9 days are perfect days in coco cay b2b would have been fun. I was on liberty when they came out. There was a rush to book b2bs. 

Everyone poo poos carnival. They have two eastern with st kitts and other interesting ports. Two panama I'd already booked before radiance came out. Also costa maya Columbia aruba and curacao and jamaica. Lol at jamaica. I took the Panama one but I'd like the st kitts one too. It's worth doing carnival to avoid flying and get the better ports. 

I was so disappointed couldnt do b2b on radiance. Might be enough of a success rcl does it again I hope. During covid I had jewel booked to go to coco cay. It got cancelled. The more boring routes came out with restart. Boo on rcl. Anyway .. look at radiance next spring. Not the best, but at least a couple better ports. My carnival booking does rings around rcl. 

• Like 1

Forgot to ask. What does (TA) refer to?

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Guessing Transatlantic?

Typically, but not sure given context

31 minutes ago, poocher said:

Also guessing not referring to the SAME TA in each instance ie flew domestic on a TA coming to the US to then going home.  Flew international to a TA departing in Europe, maybe the same TA here?

TA = transatlantic

Last domestic flight for a cruise was after a Dec. 2012 SOU to MIA TA (flew home from MIA).  Yes, flew to LHR before TA.

Last international flight for a cruise was after a May 2022 Cape Liberty to SOU TA (rented a car from home to CL, flew home from LHR).

Previous international flight for a cruise was before an Aug. 2017 CPH to Cape Liberty TA (flew to CPH, rented a car from CL to home).

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We always have to fly to all of our cruises, except for Seattle.  I guess we are used to it, it has always been part of cruising for us.🤷‍♀️

the higher prices?  I'm used to $300-$400....not $700-$800.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, slyster said:

the higher prices?  I'm used to $300-$400....not $700-$800.

We are used to fluctuations on flying.  Sometimes we can fly for $200 to Newark and sometimes it is $400.  This has been part of our last 10 cruises in the last year.  We have all of our flights booked for cruises(which is 8 flights) through February and we have some great deals on some and some not so great deals on others. We paid $550 to fly to Nassau June ‘21, but we wanted to cruise.  We just paid $1000 to fly home from Venice the end of May.

My daughter moved to Florida (still trying to bribe her home) in 2010.  So I fly CT to MCO several times a year.  I have always been able to get SWA flights for $200 or less RT, about 12,000 points.  Now that same 12,000 only gets a $160ish fare.  So not only have fares gone up but the points for that fare have gone up.