Are Airfares Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

Are any others rethinking some cruises based on the current steep airfares?  

I found a pretty good deal on an Alaskan cruise last month, but airfares were so high I decided not to book it although I would have otherwise. 

I have a NZ cruise booked for March out of Brisbane that is the result of several cancellations and L&S’s, but the airfare is over $4300 for 2 people so I’ll probably end up cancelling unless prices drop. Before, it was a repositioning on Radiance to Singapore and the airfare was $1400. 

I’m not booking anything else requiring a flight until/unless fares go back to normal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yep, I'm definitely feeling the airfare sting. I've been looking at some Caribbean cruises, but flights from LA to Miami are really high for my dates. I've set up Google Flight tracking for the dates I need, hoping to see them fall in a few weeks after the summer travel rush slows down. You can set up Google Flights tracking to follow a single flight, specific airlines, and/or set dates.

I also track the flights that I already have booked. With Delta changeable flights, if the price goes down on a flight you already have booked, you can Modify/Change your flight on the website to re-book the same flight, and they'll give you an eCredit for the price difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Carnival has been offering alaska almost free, just pay port fees and I dont want to take a chance the plane is delayed. I'm more worried about late and cancelled flights than the fare. That I will miss my flight or not get there in time for the hotel shuttle and extra costs.

I am flying to oasis next spring and made me think twice tbh.

• Like 2

I booked a cruise September 2021 for a cruise this September , and didnt book air fare at that time at  700.00 for the two of us from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale .

The next time i checked it was 1200.00 . Then it went to 1400.00 .

Finally booked it last month for 1050.00 . I can live with that .

• Thanks 1

Oh yes.  We booked a Alaskan cruise several months ago.  It wasn’t very expensive.  Maybe $800 or $900 a person for a balcony cabin.  However, when we looked to find flights a few months ago, it was going to cost us $600-$700 a person.  Also, the excursions for an Alaska cruise are usually more expensive too.  We couldn’t justify paying almost as much for the flights as we did the cruise.  

• Thanks 1

We live in Florida within four hours of four ports and have very rarely (twice) flown to a port.  We really want to go to the southern Caribbean ports from San Juan.  We are considering February 2024 because surely the airline industry will have it under control by then.  But, that is what we thought about the pandemic at the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Booked our flights with Delta for our Celebrity September NE/Canada cruise in February. Good prices and flights from the West Coast at that time. Today I got an email from Delta informing us of flight changes (leaving and returning). Didn't like the schedule they came up with. Called delta and they changed to a schedule that I picked that was better for us. The price is about $500.00 more a person now but we didn't have to pay anything. But we always book our cruises and air early.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our flights have been $1000-$1200 R/T from Atlanta to anywhere in FLA these last months and through December 2022. It hurts, definitely, but for now we have booked cruises and I can stomach that better than an 11-hour drive one way - at least in the short term. If this continues, we will calculate the balance again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am fortunate that I fly fairly often for work.  I live in Birmingham, my office is in Richmond, and our development team is in Chicago, so I am on a plane about once a month and I stick to Southwest.  Of course the points required for flights is proportional for cash prices, but I have a lot of points.  

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I’m not booking anything else requiring a flight until/unless fares go back to normal. 

Not flying until Galveston runs out of options. FINALLY getting some new itineraries late this year and into next to keep us driving down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Anyone who can afford the World Cruise can surely sustain modest airfare increases…. 👍😉

I dont think it's just a modest increase. I used to find flight $227 and up into the $300s. 

Now my flight is over $500 and up to $1k varies but hasnt dropped below $500. My cruise outing miami is march 12. I priced coming in 2 days early as above suggested. 2 nights in miami during spring break just cost more and friday isnt cheaper than coming in on saturday for a sunday departure. No good alternatives. 

Some are waiting for sw and hoping sw is cheaper. I didnt see any good ideas vs just booking as soon as it came out. People keep hoping air fares drop. Your idea of a  modest increase and mine are different. To me it's a lot more.

2 hours ago, HicksRA said:

go back to normal.

Yup. If you can hold off long enough, airfares usually go back down right after Labor Day. I would take day trips to Miami for less than $125/RT from the Northeast that were priced for double a month earlier. Keep an eye, set a google price alert on google flights and wait it out if you can.

• Like 1