Are Airfares Affecting Your Cruise Plans?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I've only seen carnival going to progresso since restart.

We had Progresso on our March Adventure cruise.  from Gal

Through the years we've done RCCL with Progresso on the itin about 4 times, we only got off once.  And one cruise on Carnival Ecstacy was all it took to cure me of Carnival, thank you.  Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, slyster said:

the higher prices?  I'm used to $300-$400....not $700-$800.

Remember the good ole days when you could find $99 to all the major cities on both coasts  all day long and twice on Sundays.  Back in the 70's we once flew to London on United for $99 one way!  Used to fly from San Antonio to Dallas for $36.  Southwest was dirt cheap!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Through the years we've done RCCL with Progresso on the itin about 4 times, we only got off once.  And one cruise on Carnival Ecstacy was all it took to cure me of Carnival, thank you.  Different strokes for different folks.

Progresso is a great port to visit Chichen Itza, but that’s about it. 

Our first class air has about doubled in last year. We have two Florida cruises scheduled and will pay the first class price, but will look to booking more cruises from Galveston, helps that allure will soon be sailing from there.

Definitely. We usually get airfare all day every day DFW to MIA $200/$250 RT. We were shocked to see flights from $459 for our October cruise! YIKES!! We finally bit the bullet last week when we found it for $280 on SW leaving Thursday night instead of Friday.  It changed to $301 as we were booking. AARRGGHH!! The hotel was cheaper on Thursday evening so we came out a little bit ahead. Plus we'll have all day in MIA on Friday so WIN WIN!!  

We still have members of our group holding out for better pricing. I told everyone book when you're comfortable. I have no idea what will happen with airfare. 

We're so glad Allure is moving to Galveston our home port. The Oasis class ships are the main reason we were still going to FL to cruise. We love that class of ship. Welcome to TX Allure we can't wait to drive 4.5 hours and board you. We will definitely be cruising for the ship!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

John I assume at that price you’re not flying coach!  

I did book refundable rates for our Australian adventure in 2024 since we don’t know how crazy the airfare will get.  But sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and do it anyway.  

Correct. Haven't done coach on international since our horrible flight to Singapore in 2018.

This flight is expensive, but offset by the great cruise price. 

No international flights for a while. Hope they come down eventually, but I'll pay whatever when opportunity arises 

We are currently thinking about Summer 2023 cruise, and considering sailing out of Bayonne due to the cost of flying (x4) as opposed more tropical locations that we have never visited. However, I would be in London with my DW right now if it were not for the current prices for airfare.

15 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Our flights have been $1000-$1200 R/T from Atlanta to anywhere in FLA these last months and through December 2022. It hurts, definitely, but for now we have booked cruises and I can stomach that better than an 11-hour drive one way - at least in the short term. If this continues, we will calculate the balance again.

That's a lot!  What seats are you selecting? 

We (4 people) flew from ATL via Delta to FLL in June for about $350 each, round trip.  But, that's for main cabin seats (not basic).  I just really don't want to take that long drive either.  We're cruising again in September and I haven't decided yet whether we're flying or driving but I just priced Delta for our dates and seats are $268 each.

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Never flown SW. Every time I look, I don't see the low prices y'all talk about.

And I used to fly into TX a lot for work

Flew CT to MCO & back the Tuesday before to the day after Xmas.  $59 each way!  Every once in awhile!

Edited by poocher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

ecstasy is being retired. Last of those oldies. I felt the same about grandeur tbh. I'm spoiled by the newer ships. Luckily it wasnt my first rcl cruise or I'd have been done too.

I went to progresso on breeze last year. Rcl only costa maya, also tired of it. Rcl must have a deal with them. I'm very tired of rcl ports out of Galveston.  I'm taking a break until sept. Hopefully I'm more over it. Grandeur soured me on cruising. 

My airfare to miami when I priced it yesterday was up to $862 for oasis next march. Some are waiting for sw hoping for lower fares. I saw someone post earlier here wait for sept and flight prices will drop. So certain they are. 

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Flight cost has always been a factor in our cruise planning.  Costs more now, but the primary concern, similar to yours, is the uncertainty because of cancellations and delays.  What a mess.  

Thats why i fly out now First thing in the morning the day before the cruise..Gives you a little more room

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Never flown SW. Every time I look, I don't see the low prices y'all talk about.

And I used to fly into TX a lot for work

We fly SW a lot.  The main reason is we get 2 free bags each and we can cancel our flight, or change it and pay the difference with no issues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We fly SW a lot.  The main reason is we get 2 free bags each and we can cancel our flight, or change it and pay the difference with no issues.

I look at total cost including bag. Just because it's free doesn't change the equation 

70 lb weight limit on Business Class is a big plus

3 hours ago, Jenjer said:

Oh yes and we are coming in 2 days over 1 day before cruise because flights are so bad. Found a direct flight and it was 600 per person to Mia and I was happy to book it. Something that used to be 250 ish.   

Same, our tickets from BWI - MIA are $500pp (and we booked it the day the flights were released!). We are flying in 2 days early and staying in an Air BnB. 

I take advantage of the BOGO sales that Alaska Air runs, and use their Credit Card for most purchases. I have 4 international flights coming up between Oct/2022 and Mar/2024. Most of my domestic flights, I try to fly on Alaska, since I can get more nonstops, and they partner with several international airlines, which I always try to fly on international flights. They are far superior to domestic airlines, IMHO. I will fly SW when needed, but they seriously lack nonstops for my area. I do have a $250 voucher with them, but looking at prices to Seattle from Orlando after Wonder TA, I will still need to pay out of pocket. I won’t use my airmiles for domestic flights, so I just keep an eye on prices.

Pre covid the DH used to fly SW average 6 legs a month.  A list and lots of points.  We still like them for no change fees, no bag fees but best is using Love Field instead of DFW.  It’s closer to us, cheaper parking, easy in and out.  DFW can be a real pain.  And it’s known for cancelled flights due to weather and just about any other excuse.  Delta flies through Love too but always stops in Atlanta for their hub so no non stops.  SW points are so easy to use.  We aren’t tied to SW but will always check them first.  

• Like 1

Yes! Even though the Caribbean is our favorite out of our current options, the airfare is through the roof, so we will likely go with our moderately priced airfare option of our second pick or our super cheap airfare option of our third pick that’s close to home. 

25 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I take advantage of the BOGO sales that Alaska Air runs, and use their Credit Card for most purchases. I have 4 international flights coming up between Oct/2022 and Mar/2024. Most of my domestic flights, I try to fly on Alaska, since I can get more nonstops, and they partner with several international airlines, which I always try to fly on international flights. They are far superior to domestic airlines, IMHO. I will fly SW when needed, but they seriously lack nonstops for my area. I do have a $250 voucher with them, but looking at prices to Seattle from Orlando after Wonder TA, I will still need to pay out of pocket. I won’t use my airmiles for domestic flights, so I just keep an eye on prices.

+1 on all of that.  

I've found most direct flights to the main cruise ports from Seattle are pretty reasonable on Alaska.  Just snagged $259 each way SEA-FLL for October and November cruises, which is pretty close to what it's been over the years.  

• Like 1

We were looking at a Caribbean cruise but have decided not to book it as the air fare from the uk is more than the cost of the cruise ( balcony 2d). Next may return flight London Heathrow to MCO is £2573.12 which is approx. $3345.00.

Madness..... 

• Like 1

For myself, I never consider a non essential purchase, like a vacation, without considering the total cost.  For a cruise, that includes, airfare, hotel, and incidentals in addition to the actual cruise cost.  If those costs are more than I feel like spending, I don't.  The current rise in airfare has not given me a reason to change that habit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1