To Buffet or Not to Buffet, That is the Question

ScottC4746

First time cruising after Covid shut down and trying to stay healthy and safe at the same time.

I see on my app my Solstice cruise to Alaska the main dining room is open breakfast, lunch and dinner.  We have the select choice (?) dining where we just show up.

When cruises restarted, they were doing Holland America style where the staff serve you.  They were doing this precovid and added a touch of service and class.

Has Celebrity returned to guest serving themselves at the buffet?  Having lived in Vegas I remember handles falling into the food and other grossness I won't go into.

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I like the buffet, especially for breakfast…eggs made to order.  

You can get eggs to order in the MDR as well, however you have to ask for anything but scrambled to ensure they saw the inside of a shell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We were on the Eclipse Alaska cruise in early June and buffet was self serve.  As a result we only went once after a late excursion.  In previous cruises we would typically eat breakfast at the buffet.  Because of later port times in Alaska we had time for more leisurely breakfasts so enjoyed sit down breakfasts that allowed us to avoid the buffet.  

Just got back from our Alaska cruise and yes, majority of the buffet was self-serve. We, as most, used the Oceanview for breakfast and lunch. did dinner there one night when we got back from a late tour, andour family went to there prior to a late tour (In Victoria); we dined in a specialty restaurant. 

I realize that as soon as a thread starts about buffets, we get the ‘you can’t believe what I saw there’….all of them I’m sure true, but realize this subject emphasizes that. I don’t spend time watching others but our cruise, all seemed quite acceptable manners. 

they have gloves to wear as you serve. 

You have picked a venue in which lots of people are congregated, touching every surface you touch; pressing every button you press; all that. You are in an environment with potentially a few thousand others. Protect yourself and be more ‘aware’ but we who are cruising right now understand we are more at risk. 

Den

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

IMHO, when I'm on vacation I like to be served. I always eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR (unless I sleep in, and then the buffet is the only option). 

My only post Covid cruises have been on NCL (both within the past 3 months). The buffet was self serve, but they were constantly replacing the serving increments. Not sure if Celebrity is doing the same.

• Like 1

Solstice 7/1 sailing - At the busier times a crew member was stationed at the entrance with the hand sanitizer in addition to the hand sanitizer station - this was the same as pre-covid. We noticed everyone using the hand sanitizer as they entered the Oceanview Cafe. The food stations were self-serve. 

Going to the buffet is a personal preference. Not sure how much it increases risk when you have already stepped onto a contained vessel filled with people. 

• Like 2

In the early morning, even when in a suite, I love the OVC for breakfast, but I am one of the very first ones to eat.  I order a veggie scramble, with picking up some fresh fruit and an almond croissant.  Before I eat, sanitizer is on my hands.  Most of the tables are vacant, so that makes it, IMHO, better for eating.  Of course on my upcoming cruises, I will not stay as long, wearing a mask if I do, as we are on a b2b/TA. Our tours are just the two of us; one is with four...no large buses or groups.  Actually, we never opt for large bus tours.  Of course, there is never a guarantee that you will not get C, but there are things that you can do to take charge of your health...the rest is out of your control.  It is totally up to you how you cruise, along with everyone else...choices.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollWave said:

Solstice 7/1 sailing - At the busier times a crew member was stationed at the entrance with the hand sanitizer in addition to the hand sanitizer station - this was the same as pre-covid. We noticed everyone using the hand sanitizer as they entered the Oceanview Cafe. The food stations were self-serve. 

Going to the buffet is a personal preference. Not sure how much it increases risk when you have already stepped onto a contained vessel filled with people. 

True I mean we are in floating petri dish as it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

Just keep in mind the MDR is only open for lunch on sea days.

When I looked at my app last week it was open all meals.  Now it has changed and sounds like more sense.  Since everyone, usually, is on shore, why have so many lunch venues open.  When at sea, you need more lunch venues open.

Spa Café is another good option for lunch if you find the buffet doesn't suit you.

Whether the buffet is self-serve seems to have more to do with staffing issues than anything else. There doesn't seem to be a fleet wide answer, and it may even vary from day to day.

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

Spa Café is another good option for lunch if you find the buffet doesn't suit you.

Whether the buffet is self-serve seems to have more to do with staffing issues than anything else. There doesn't seem to be a fleet wide answer, and it may even vary from day to day.

I thought Spa Cafe was for certain guests like those using the spa that day or in Aquaspa staterooms.  Either way looking at the menu on the app, while I should eat that way, too healthy for me. LOL.

1 minute ago, ScottC4746 said:

I thought Spa Cafe was for certain guests like those using the spa that day or in Aquaspa staterooms.  Either way looking at the menu on the app, while I should eat that way, too healthy for me. LOL.

No, it's open to everyone, and it's located in the Solarium pool area. Blu is the restaurant that's limited to Aqua passengers. It's actually pretty tasty, despite being so healthy. 🤣

Oh, and we're over by the hospital, post office, and Triangle in Bellaire. 

Cheers, and happy cruising! 

Breakfast is always good in buffet !

Lunch always a treat.

We always eat dinner in the MDR.

The only complaint I have about the buffet, even after X started with staff serving foods people still insist on walking about eating, stuffing their faces while cruising through the buffet.

I have seen some very odd dining habits, lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Well, there’s nothing to prevent you from having fruit or a yogurt parfait at the Spa Cafe and then going to the Buffet or MDR for your fill of eggs Benedict and bacon and waffles and whipped cream!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Well, there’s nothing to prevent you from having fruit or a yogurt parfait at the Spa Cafe and then going to the Buffet or MDR for your fill of eggs Benedict and bacon and waffles and whipped cream!

So true.  Being in WW I should be at the Spa Cafe, but I am such a foody. 

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

they have gloves to wear as you serve. 

Really?? Our first X cruise is coming up in August so we are trying to learn as much as possible before then. 

Am I to understand that at the buffet there are gloves available to pax as we enter?

As one who has picked up noro on a cruise a couple of years back, I'm eager to do anything reasonable to keep from going there again!!

1 hour ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Really?? Our first X cruise is coming up in August so we are trying to learn as much as possible before then. 

Am I to understand that at the buffet there are gloves available to pax as we enter?

As one who has picked up noro on a cruise a couple of years back, I'm eager to do anything reasonable to keep from going there again!!

Yes, bags of light gloves at entry. Was there for all meals. And Id think that was common there and if you don’t see them, ask a sever since they are wearing them all the time and Ive seen them changing behind the counters. 

Den

• Thanks 2

We sailed on Summit Jun 12-19 and ate all meals but 1 in the Oceanview Cafe buffet.  There were no self serve items, you just told them what you wanted and they plated it for you.  Food was great!

Edited by AMCJavelin
  • Thanks 1