Looking into an Alaska cruise. Which lines are better than others?

NolaZach

Last week June or first week July 2023. Never sailed Holland or Princess.   I do Carnival mostly and also Norwegian. Would prefer something new.   (Have a Carnival to Mexico and Belize in November) 

There is also a Royal Caribbean Ovation of the seas that is the cheapest option.  

The Holland America has the glacier NP on the itinerary though.   

Me and the DW are 41. We are fine with the older crowd and would likely prefer classical music to House or Electronic music.  

Though don't want to be bored either and a covered pool would be a nice treat.   This place looks very different since the last time I posted here. 

1 hour ago, NolaZach said:

Last week June or first week July 2023. Never sailed Holland or Princess.   I do Carnival mostly and also Norwegian. Would prefer something new.   (Have a Carnival to Mexico and Belize in November) 

There is also a Royal Caribbean Ovation of the seas that is the cheapest option.  

The Holland America has the glacier NP on the itinerary though.   

Me and the DW are 41. We are fine with the older crowd and would likely prefer classical music to House or Electronic music.  

Though don't want to be bored either and a covered pool would be a nice treat.   This place looks very different since the last time I posted here. 

We did an Alaska cruise in 2008 with HAL that was great.

HAL is the cruise line with the longest continuous time sailing Alaska cruises. They have their own rail cars, buses, and hotels in Alaska.  Their on board Alaska program is very good and their ships do have a covered mid-ships pool when the weather is not good.  

Princess has sailed Alaska cruises for many years as well and they have their own rail cars, hotels, and buses.  I am unsure if their mid-ship's pool can be covered or not.  Their on board Alaska program is also very good and, in some ways, different from HAL's (good different).  If you can find a Princess Patters and a When and Where programs for Alaska sailings, you may find it interesting to compare the two.  

Food and service is very good on both.  Princess has, I think, a better entertainment program, but, HAL's new Music Walk is enjoyed by many.

One HAL advantage is their Crow's Nest Lounge above the Bridge.  A great place for sightseeing when the weather discourages one from lingering on an open deck.

My opinion:  select a cruise based on your desired itinerary.  For me, Glacier Bay is a must; if the itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier, that makes the itinerary even more desirable for me.  

Enjoy your planning/researching!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL looks the most tempting. I like the "have it all" add on.  They are priced well.  Below princess or Norwegian for the balcony room

RCL is less but I really want to go to Glacier and only a few lines have access

• Like 1

sorry. Every line that sails to Glacier Bay (only a few) have some sailings that go to GB and some that go to other glaciers.  These include Princess, Holland and Norweigen.  I've basically decided on Holland for this cruise.  I'm pretty boring.  A nice place to relax with a view or a book is my primary goal.  The Princess looked great too, but the Holland was a better value for the same time.  Though if I were to take the Westerdam the day after the 7 day itinerary with the ONLY difference being Glacier Bay is a $400+ pp difference.   I guess GB is a premium.  

We have decided to go with a GB itinerary.  Eurodam, July 1st 2023. Verandah.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NolaZach said:

sorry. Every line that sails to Glacier Bay (only a few) have some sailings that go to GB and some that go to other glaciers.  These include Princess, Holland and Norweigen.  I've basically decided on Holland for this cruise.  I'm pretty boring.  A nice place to relax with a view or a book is my primary goal.  The Princess looked great too, but the Holland was a better value for the same time.  Though if I were to take the Westerdam the day after the 7 day itinerary with the ONLY difference being Glacier Bay is a $400+ pp difference.   I guess GB is a premium.  

We have decided to go with a GB itinerary.  Eurodam, July 1st 2023. Verandah.  

Good choice.  I was recently on a Princess cruise and there was no forward viewing area and no wraparound prom.  The Eurodam has both.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Good choice.  I was recently on a Princess cruise and there was no forward viewing area and no wraparound prom.  The Eurodam has both.  Have a great cruise!

The lack of those things are a negative for the Royal Class ships of Princess.  

17 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The lack of those things are a negative for the Royal Class ships of Princess.  

Agreed.  That was my biggest complaint about my cruise on Regal Princess.  Not only no forward-facing lounge, but no lounges with sea views.  On inclement weather days, the views were limited to the buffet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

On inclement weather days, the views were limited to the buffet.  

And those views provided only side views with aft views from a covered, open deck.  Did you find the small exterior decks on both sides of the ship where the access door to those areas were difficult to find among all of the shops?  

We did a 14 day cruise on Holland America's Zaandam, which I think is one of their smaller and older ships.  We had a very nice time and particularly enjoyed the piano bar, although I'm not sure if they still do that.  I'm sure that whichever line/ship you end up on you'll have a great time.

• Like 1

Been on both NCL and Princess to Alaska.  Both trips were similar but Princess was more informational with little talks about nature and etc.   With my kids I'd do NCL again (probably Royal, never Carnival again)  With my husband Princess because he likes to chill on a cruise.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

And those views provided only side views with aft views from a covered, open deck.  Did you find the small exterior decks on both sides of the ship where the access door to those areas were difficult to find among all of the shops?  

I did, and if it's the area you're referencing I thought it was shocking how few chairs there were in those locations for a ship of that many thousands...

That said, I never usually had trouble finding a place to sit and read. Perhaps others couldn't find their way (or prefer to sit in the semi-gloom of the Atrium listening to second-class musical acts).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I did, and if it's the area you're referencing I thought it was shocking how few chairs there were in those locations for a ship of that many thousands...

That said, I never usually had trouble finding a place to sit and read. Perhaps others couldn't find their way (or prefer to sit in the semi-gloom of the Atrium listening to second-class musical acts).

You found the area that I referenced.  I also found pleasant, uncrowded areas of the ship to view the sea, read, doze.  The aft decks of the Royal Princess had comfortable furniture, and other than prime"feeding times", were often underutilized.  

I would like to take my family of 5 on an Alaska cruise in June 2023.  That would be my wife and I plus kids age 14, 12, and 10.  Without my having to explore all the cruise lines that do the summer Alaska cruises, does anyone know of any cruise line/ship that would accomodate 2 adults and 3 kids in a single cabin? I can't afford the luxury suite so it would have to be a mid-range cabin.