CDC ends all restrictions as of July 18th (TODAY!!)

41 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

An update from Vikki Freeds coffeetalk.

The CDC is releasing a new set of recommendations for the cruise lines.  Royal is waiting for those to be released (this week) prior to announcing their new protocols

That statement is on Royal's website and has been since yesterday.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center?icid=hlthys_wrnssn_hlt_nbrdxp_pghdr_3467

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BND said:

That statement is on Royal's website and has been since yesterday.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center?icid=hlthys_wrnssn_hlt_nbrdxp_pghdr_3467

It states, "On July 18, the U.S. CDC announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. Going forward, the CDC will continue to publish guidance for the cruise industry."  Hmm, this could all go the other way.   The CDC could issue "guidance" that "suggests" cruise lines enforce mask policies, daily testing, lower capacity, etc.  I don't think that will happen, and certainly hope not, but it's vague enough that it could.

1 minute ago, rudeney said:

It states, "On July 18, the U.S. CDC announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. Going forward, the CDC will continue to publish guidance for the cruise industry."  Hmm, this could all go the other way.   The CDC could issue "guidance" that "suggests" cruise lines enforce mask policies, daily testing, lower capacity, etc.  I don't think that will happen, and certainly hope not, but it's vague enough that it could.

The Complete quote is:  "On July 18, the U.S. CDC announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. Going forward, the CDC will continue to publish guidance for the cruise industry. We are waiting for these revised recommendations, which we expect in the coming days. Upon review, we will adjust our current protocols and provide guidance to our guests. For now, our current protocols remain in effect for cruises departing U.S. homeports." 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They could back that up with daily or several times daily testing with the Covid breath tester which has been developed. That would be very effective at controlling the spread as fast as they could?

This doesn't sound like a very fun vacation.😡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

The Complete quote is:  "On July 18, the U.S. CDC announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. Going forward, the CDC will continue to publish guidance for the cruise industry. We are waiting for these revised recommendations, which we expect in the coming days. Upon review, we will adjust our current protocols and provide guidance to our guests. For now, our current protocols remain in effect for cruises departing U.S. homeports." 

Guidance:

Encourage all guests to wash their hands regularly

Encourage guests who feel ill to avoid close interactions with others

Encourage vulnerable guests to wear masks and socially distance

Encourage those with significant symptoms to seek medical guidance

Encourage guests to test prior to boarding

I would expect something like this if/when the CDC publishes something new.  I think the vaccination protocols are the wild card in the equation, but it wouldn't surprise me if those were the last to drop.

3 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We do not mind at all getting the covid test prior to boarding. What we are afraid of is testing positive and not being able to take the cruise.

We both tested neg today for our Fri EN cruise.  We used Emed in Apr but when we logged in today, it wouldn't accept our passwords and we had to reset.  It took about 20 min at 7 am to get the code to verify email and reset my password.  For DH after he got home at 2pm, after almost an hour waiting for his code he called and they put in an urgent email to IT and another hour or so after that he got the temporary password and was able to log in.  My question is, aren't they all temporary passwords if it won't take it after 3 months?  While the wait once we got in was non-existent and the testing went smoothly, they need to work on their logon process.  Our next cruise after this Fri one is Nov 6 and we are really hoping no testing by then.

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We do not mind at all getting the covid test prior to boarding. What we are afraid of is testing positive and not being able to take the cruise.

That's kind of the point of the thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just received  the free test kits in the  mail today if testing continues.

They were ordered before the CDC's new announcement.

20220720_105343.jpg

I can't find a link to monitoring to using these for precruise.  The only one I found was sold out. 

All this discussion about covid...

The only area still worring about the the endless protocols etc for covid is cruising.  In daily life, full time jobs, school, US based vacations, no discussion of Covid.  To me that leaves the cruising industry with a disadvantage.

So yes some would like the protocols to continue forever, but the rest of the world is still turning.  So cruise lines will have to make tough decisions...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, diadora said:

Just booked a March WOTS cruise today. THe girl at RCCL said they will come out with new guideline

s Oct. 1st. Is it possible she meant Aug. 1st?

Several people have reported being told Oct 1.

44 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

The only area still worring about the the endless protocols etc for covid is cruising.  In daily life, full time jobs, school, US based vacations, no discussion of Covid.  To me that leaves the cruising industry with a disadvantage.

Eh, disagree:

- My daughter had a small surgery last Friday, and the hospital is very much still enforcing Covid protection -- masks strictly enforced, and only one person could be with her. 

- Out and about, people wearing masks aren't unusual at all. 

- The high school from which I just retired is not enforcing precautions like we did a year ago, but they aren't gone.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Cdc issued its voluntary guidance today. Which is exactly the same as the mandatory guidance, just with different auxiliary verbs

Yes, but there is an easy-out for cruises:

• Ships that allow travelers to use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test), may consider the following criteria:
    • The test is a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the relevant national authority where the test is administered.
    • The testing procedure includes a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
    • The telehealth provider confirms the person’s identity, observes the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirms the test result, and issues a report that meets the information requirements listed below.
    • Cruise ship operators can review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details.

So, say, “we strongly encourage all passengers to take an at-home Covid test the day before boarding. This can include the free tests provided by the US government. We recommend this test be supervised by a telehealth provider.”

Edited by pyrateslife4me84

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Cdc issued its voluntary guidance today. Which is exactly the same as the mandatory guidance, just with different auxiliary verbs

Just read it... No difference between this and the previous requirements except there is no mention of a specific (95%) percent that should be vaccinated. They just say high proportion. 

"CDC recommends all eligible travelers be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines. In addition to the protection COVID-19 vaccines provide to individual travelers in preventing severe illness or death from COVID-19, having a high proportion of travelers on board who are up to date with COVID-19 vaccines reduces the likelihood that cruise ships’ medical centers are overwhelmed by cases of COVID-19."

High proportion could mean 75%, or whatever percent they determine meets the "high proportion" threshold.  Also, testing is recommended to be at least 3 days before embarkation not he two days that Royal is now requiring. Otherwise nothing else interesting to read in the "guidance"

Edited by Rusty_lock
  • Like 1

i don’t know if this is old or new but I like this wording…. “Should consider”

consider it considered

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 Testing

• To reduce likelihood of onboard transmission, cruise ship operators should consider requiring travelers to get tested for current infection with a viral test as close to the time of departure as possible (no more than 3 days before travel) and present their negative test result prior to boarding. Testing within 1 day of embarkation is highly recommended. Cruise ship operators may also consider conducting embarkation testing for all or a subset of passengers.

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I can't find a link to monitoring to using these for precruise.  The only one I found was sold out. 

They discontinued their "Telehealth" business.  You'll have to use one of the others like onpoint.  

12 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

i don’t know if this is old or new but I like this wording…. “Should consider”

consider it considered

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 Testing

• To reduce likelihood of onboard transmission, cruise ship operators should consider requiring travelers to get tested for current infection with a viral test as close to the time of departure as possible (no more than 3 days before travel) and present their negative test result prior to boarding. Testing within 1 day of embarkation is highly recommended. Cruise ship operators may also consider conducting embarkation testing for all or a subset of passengers.

The way that is worded easily provides cover for a policy like, “we recommend testing for those up-to-date with vaccinations and require test results for the unvaccinated or those who are not up-to-date with vaccinations.”

But, we shall see. 

• Like 6