The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 19th, 2022

richwmn

While I haven.'t been to the actual town of Saguenay the Saguenay Fjord is quite magical.  One high point is Cape Trinity, where ships tend to pause and play Ave Maria while enjoying the statue. 

statue1.jpg

Just a stone's throw from the statue is a small cove where ships tend to head into the cove and blow the horn producing magical echos.  These are from a 2011 Montreal to New York Crystal Symphony cruise.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

43 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I always have to make two pots of soup.  Meat for DH, seafood or tofu for me.

I truly appreciate all the positive feedback I have received.  What a wonderful community.

All of your praise is well deserved.

Today's quote and day reminds me of when I was playing golf.

In our 4 man group there was a bin man,a solicitor,a shop owner and myself a sales representative and we all bonded so well and had a good chat and drink at the 19th hole afterwards.

Graham.

• Like 17

58 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  everyone. I will salute new friends and would eat a raspberry  cake if someone  else did the baking.We have not been to the port and I like the quote.

My executive chef has picked the second recipe.I even have the ingredients  in the house.It will be a nice dinner with a separate soup pot for my two vegetarians. Thanks so much Tina @0106!

@grapau27,Graham, your gardens are beautiful . I loved the hydrangeas. The town of Orleans in Cape Cod, MA had a hydrangea festival when  we were there.It seemed every house had huge bushes in full bloom. The high temps yesterday  that you had were alarming.Please be careful!

So far,I have a little soreness  in my arm from the booster yesterday. DH  seems to be OK as well.I did notice most people were wearing masks inside again now.NYC rates are at 15%.

My niece  sent a picture  of Camilla looking like a big girl these days.Her grandpa  is expected to leave the hospital today,thank goodness.

9220.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words.

You did right to get the booster and hopefully the soreness goes away soon.

Camilla always looks so sweet.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Meds are working and feeling much better. I don’t believe I have ever had a raspberry cake but you wouldn’t have to ask twice. Sounds yummy. I have been to Saguenay, Quebec several times and they always have a very special welcoming for cruise ships. Folks in various costumes, maple syrup on snow samples, blueberry pie, log rollers etc. Here’s a link to their web cam. https://tourisme.saguenay.ca/en/camera-live-from-the-fjord
Roy I read you rode the Rovos train. We have watched various trips on You Tube and it appears to be a wonderful experience. Did you enjoy?

Going to a French bistro overlooking the inter coastal water way today. A beautiful setting and great food. Our kitchen is closing down for a month!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
So far🤞🤞🤞all reservations are a go. 
Yesterday’s CDC announcement has us wondering what the cruise lines will do if anything, now that protocols are more or less back in their jurisdiction.

So we sit and wait with just a few things to do. Definitely don’t need to water the outdoor plants as we have had pop up rain every day. I can hear thunder in the distance.

Thanks for the report and to all of our contributors. Have a great day everyone.

• Like 28

8 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Roy I read you rode the Rovos train. We have watched various trips on You Tube and it appears to be a wonderful experience. Did you enjoy?

Absolutely.  The first time was actually the standard trip Cape Town to Pretoria in 2004 and it was magical then and the 2008 "Epic Journey" was even better.  Only thing is I'm not sure if there have been changes in the last 14 years.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Storms all around us yesterday but not a drop here!

Great selection of days. I really enjoy meeting new people but the last few years have pretty much prevented that. Love anything with raspberries. THe quote is perfect. 

THe relatives have all left. Only a few minor delays with the airlines, 1 was delayed an hour, the other 2 were about 15 minutes. So they are all safely back in Boston.

@grapau27 Graham, Your garden is beautiful. I love hydrangeas but too hot for them here.

I wonder what the cruiselines will do if anything after yesterdays announcement.

Playing golf this evening. Hopefully there will be a breeze.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Wow, it’s hot. 92 here today, but compared to the over 100 degrees in other places we are lucky. We missed the predicted strong thunderstorms last night.

Yesterday I got a good report from the hygienist so I stopped by my favorite sushi place on the way home. Since it’s about 25 minutes away I don’t go there often. Imagine my disappointment to find it was closed and not reopening till today. Next best, I drove to my favorite Chinese Restaurant and took home some food.

My son is still not doing well from covid. He has a big birthday on the 22 of this month so I’m really hoping he will be better by then.

Stay safe and cool everyone,

Carol

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I saw a few sprinkles on the windows a while ago.  I guess today will be on and off rain today with a high of 87.  Did my exercising, ate breakfast, then time to read the Daily.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I always like to meet new friends, raspberry cake sounds delicious, and I don't play words with friends or any game on my phone.  Love the quote!  The Thai noodle soup looks good in Tina's @0106photos and descriptions.  You're doing a great job filling in for Debbie.  The port of Saguenay, Canada is one I'd like to see some day.  It was last posted here on May 13, 2021.  Pictures will be appreciated!

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  I hope everyone says a prayer for all on the Care list. 🙏 Cheers to the Celebration list!  It makes me happy to see a long list of people celebrating something.  🥂

Graham @grapau27I hope your weather cools down soon.  Your flowers are beautiful!  I love hydrangeas, but remember when I planted them in Missouri it was so hot I had to water them daily.  I definitely didn't plant any here because we wanted low maintenance.  Terry @smitty34877good to hear the shots didn't bother either of you much, at least so far.  Camilla is sure growing up fast!  She's so cute!  Thanks for passing on that photo.  Jacqui @kazuI hope you know we are here for you whenever you feel down or depressed.  Some of us haven't been in your shoes, but someday we may feel that same way and I hope I have a great group of supporters behind me when that happens.  You are doing a great job of allowing life to go on and moving ahead.  Hugs from down south!🤗  Terri @Cruzin Terrihave a wonderful visit in Colonial Williamsburg!

Have a great Tuesday and don't forget tonight is the All Star Game.  I almost did forget about it.  

Thank you Sandi.

We usually get a lot of rain days and cooler weather here so normally the hydrangea's look after themselves until I need to do some pruning.

The hydrangea's and Golden rods in my parents memory garden came from their garden in March 2012 when my dad died.

My dear mam died in November 2011 only 4 months earlier.

My dad specifically grew the White hydrangea for us and we planted it a year before he died.

Prayers non of us die soon but the love on here and uniquely on CC where almost everyone likes each others post shows the fondness and friendship on here for each other which I hope will be a comfort for anyone of us who has to go through what @kazu is currently going through.

I hope your leg is a lot better.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning all.  Looking at the fleet report, most of the BHBs are in cooler places than most of us!  Alaska, Iceland, Norway; they sound pretty nice especially in July.

Saguenay, Quebec forecast is 75F today.  Should be a nice sail up the fjord, some 80 miles from the St Lawrence River.  We docked there on the Maasdam in 2014.  Wonder if the N Statendam, 100 meters longer, can dock there as well.

If you, like me, are not as fortunate to be in one of those cooler locales today, hope your AC, or pool, or fan, or cold drink keeps you comfortable.  Try to enjoy your day wherever you are!

IMG-20211227-WA0010.jpg

• Like 27

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

DH and I are off for our second booster this morning.  He does well with them, and I get sick as a dog!  But it effects me in the middle of the night, so get the booster, make hay during the day(means work and go our for lunch) and then begin suffering around 2 a.m..  I did mention this to the pharmacist last time and she just said it means that it's working.  

@rafinmd DH says thank you for adding him to the prayer list.  It cant hurt to be prayed for he said.  The biopsy is 7/26. 

I wasn't reading the small print yesterday when my schedule was sent to me, so I added more hours to my other campaign, and then read it again this morning, and realized that he added hours, not took away hours, so this will be a busy week (unless I cant function on Wednesday).  Even though we work from home, feeling sick does effect the way you are on the phones.

is-tuesday-really-made-it-through-monday-woo-hoo-34221212.png

Today I pay off the Greek cruise.  Part one will be done, part two, ?  well I guess I will have to work more!

d054da6c7c5c03ae495bc41331be7005.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 8

10 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Wow, it’s hot. 92 here today, but compared to the over 100 degrees in other places we are lucky. We missed the predicted strong thunderstorms last night.

Yesterday I got a good report from the hygienist so I stopped by my favorite sushi place on the way home. Since it’s about 25 minutes away I don’t go there often. Imagine my disappointment to find it was closed and not reopening till today. Next best, I drove to my favorite Chinese Restaurant and took home some food.

My son is still not doing well from covid. He has a big birthday on the 22 of this month so I’m really hoping he will be better by then.

Carol

Sorry to hear that Carol.

Prayers 🙏 he is a lot better for his birthday.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 12

Quick question. I have verified that I can schedule another Covid-19 booster shot. Is there any requirement that it be within a time frame before the cruise or is it even required?

Thanks

• Like 9

Good morning everyone!

I would love raspberry cake, never played Words with Friends or Wordle (but do crosswords on my phone), and love all the new friends I have here on the Daily.

We were in Saguenay in September 2010 on the Eurodam.  It was lovely to see the welcome we received at the pier:

DSCN3879.thumb.JPG.97c0efb70a48ec21c9e1cc3dfe14ff68.JPGDSCN3880.thumb.JPG.9d055673b8c3a634d29ff880e63b4188.JPGDSCN3883.thumb.JPG.3e8e10996f7b76bec003639b7f435e4e.JPG

We visited the old Pulp Mill - very interesting to visit:

DSCN3891.thumb.JPG.d3a2b19955133f3f9aa6fdb05292ee28.JPGDSCN3894.thumb.JPG.19a68b52c33e0fe8a1b067d2b839a5b7.JPG

After that, we went to Ha-Ha Park, lots of interesting sculptures:

DSCN3904.thumb.JPG.11eaedb95c0c16af4b997c31a7f99c0e.JPGDSCN3908.thumb.JPG.e4fd495591edf915ba91b94e54f9fd74.JPGDSCN3914.thumb.JPG.2398cd378089857b3b0feeff24e9141d.JPGDSCN3915.thumb.JPG.3b82f032e74664a4dd1255118501aadf.JPGDSCN3919.thumb.JPG.df6900e1bf6473b378ebe0cbf446ee5d.JPGDSCN3922.thumb.JPG.e4c94037e7837158bacda39609238f4e.JPG

We really enjoyed the day there!

Hope everyone will have a good day.  Prayers and cheers for all our Daily friends.  Stay safe!

Laura

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

51 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Prayers for your DS that he turns the corner and is on the feeling better side of Covid by Friday so he can enjoy his birthday.  We all felt like one hour we felt poorly and the next hour you felt just fine.  Very strange virus!  

48 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

We usually get a lot of rain days and cooler weather here so normally the hydrangea's look after themselves until I need to do some pruning.

The hydrangea's and Golden rods in my parents memory garden came from their garden in March 2012 when my dad died.

My dear mam died in November 2011 only 4 months earlier.

My dad specifically grew the White hydrangea for us and we planted it a year before he died.

Prayers non of us die soon but the love on here and uniquely on CC where almost everyone likes each others post shows the fondness and friendship on here for each other which I hope will be a comfort for anyone of us who has to go through what @kazu is currently going through.

I hope your leg is a lot better.

Graham.

Just like Covid, one hour my leg feels fine and the next it's not so good.  Hoping for better news as time goes on.  

I would imagine hydrangeas love your usual weather.  It sounds perfect for them.

My Dad and Mom died 6 months apart, and around the same time frame as yours did.  July 4, 2011 for Dad (only 3 weeks after we left St. Louis and moved to Georgia...he was in St. Louis).  Mom lingered until Jan. 10, 2012.  She asked every day where Dad was which must have been hard on my twin.  Mom and Dad lived with her.  In fact when they sold their country home and moved to the big city, they paid to have an addition put on twin's home so they could live there for their remaining years.  They were quite comfortable there.  Twin is one of those people who is always cooking ahead of time for meals, so they had plenty to eat and didn't have to do any of the work.  

43 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning all.  Looking at the fleet report, most of the BHBs are in cooler places than most of us!  Alaska, Iceland, Norway; they sound pretty nice especially in July.

Saguenay, Quebec forecast is 75F today.  Should be a nice sail up the fjord, some 80 miles from the St Lawrence River.  We docked there on the Maasdam in 2014.  Wonder if the N Statendam, 100 meters longer, can dock there as well.

If you, like me, are not as fortunate to be in one of those cooler locales today, hope your AC, or pool, or fan, or cold drink keeps you comfortable.  Try to enjoy your day wherever you are!

IMG-20211227-WA0010.jpg

Speaking of AC keeping us cool, a truck just backed into my neighbor's driveway and is getting ready to unload a new Lenox AC unit.  This is concerning to the rest of us since that brings to mind when will we need to replace ours?  Don't they last longer than 8 to 10 years?  Those neighbors moved in a couple years after we did so I was just wondering.  Like our home, they have a large main level, and equally large basement which is finished and has its own AC unit.  So heaven help us if they both need replacing at the same time!  

40 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

DH and I are off for our second booster this morning.  He does well with them, and I get sick as a dog!  But it effects me in the middle of the night, so get the booster, make hay during the day(means work and go our for lunch) and then begin suffering around 2 a.m..  I did mention this to the pharmacist last time and she just said it means that it's working.  

@rafinmd DH says thank you for adding him to the prayer list.  It cant hurt to be prayed for he said.  The biopsy is 7/26. 

I wasn't reading the small print yesterday when my schedule was sent to me, so I added more hours to my other campaign, and then read it again this morning, and realized that he added hours, not took away hours, so this will be a busy week (unless I cant function on Wednesday).  Even though we work from home, feeling sick does effect the way you are on the phones.

is-tuesday-really-made-it-through-monday-woo-hoo-34221212.png

Today I pay off the Greek cruise.  Part one will be done, part two, ?  well I guess I will have to work more!

d054da6c7c5c03ae495bc41331be7005.jpg

DH and I were just speaking earlier this morning about "making hay while the sun shines".  He mentioned it was a good thing he sprayed the trees (for caterpillars) yesterday.  And I said you have to make hay while the sun shines.  And then I remembered my Grandpa cutting and baling the hay on his farm when I was a kid.  We would ride on the wagon pulled behind the tractor while the hay bales were thrown up onto the flatbed trailer to haul to the barn.  I know my Dad was one of them doing all that heavy lifting.  The hay has to be cut and baled when it's not wet therefore doing it when the sun shines.  

Good luck with the boosters!  And prayers for DH on his biopsy next Tuesday.  My DD is having a surgical procedure on 7/26 also so we can pray for them both!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, kplady said:

Good morning everyone!

I would love raspberry cake, never played Words with Friends or Wordle (but do crosswords on my phone), and love all the new friends I have here on the Daily.

We were in Saguenay in September 2010 on the Eurodam.  It was lovely to see the welcome we received at the pier:

DSCN3879.thumb.JPG.97c0efb70a48ec21c9e1cc3dfe14ff68.JPGDSCN3880.thumb.JPG.9d055673b8c3a634d29ff880e63b4188.JPGDSCN3883.thumb.JPG.3e8e10996f7b76bec003639b7f435e4e.JPG

DSCN3891.thumb.JPG.d3a2b19955133f3f9aa6fdb05292ee28.JPGDSCN3894.thumb.JPG.19a68b52c33e0fe8a1b067d2b839a5b7.JPG

DSCN3904.thumb.JPG.11eaedb95c0c16af4b997c31a7f99c0e.JPGDSCN3908.thumb.JPG.e4fd495591edf915ba91b94e54f9fd74.JPGDSCN3914.thumb.JPG.2398cd378089857b3b0feeff24e9141d.JPGDSCN3915.thumb.JPG.3b82f032e74664a4dd1255118501aadf.JPGDSCN3919.thumb.JPG.df6900e1bf6473b378ebe0cbf446ee5d.JPGDSCN3922.thumb.JPG.e4c94037e7837158bacda39609238f4e.JPG

Hope everyone will have a good day.  Prayers and cheers for all our Daily friends.  Stay safe!

Laura

Wonderful photos of a beautiful spot!  And a pretty day too.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Prayers for your DS that he turns the corner and is on the feeling better side of Covid by Friday so he can enjoy his birthday.  We all felt like one hour we felt poorly and the next hour you felt just fine.  Very strange virus!  

Just like Covid, one hour my leg feels fine and the next it's not so good.  Hoping for better news as time goes on.  

I would imagine hydrangeas love your usual weather.  It sounds perfect for them.

My Dad and Mom died 6 months apart, and around the same time frame as yours did.  July 4, 2011 for Dad (only 3 weeks after we left St. Louis and moved to Georgia...he was in St. Louis).  Mom lingered until Jan. 10, 2012.  She asked every day where Dad was which must have been hard on my twin.  Mom and Dad lived with her.  In fact when they sold their country home and moved to the big city, they paid to have an addition put on twin's home so they could live there for their remaining years.  They were quite comfortable there.  Twin is one of those people who is always cooking ahead of time for meals, so they had plenty to eat and didn't have to do any of the work.  

Speaking of AC keeping us cool, a truck just backed into my neighbor's driveway and is getting ready to unload a new Lenox AC unit.  This is concerning to the rest of us since that brings to mind when will we need to replace ours?  Don't they last longer that 8 to 10 years?  Those neighbors moved in a couple years after we did so I was just wondering.  Like our home, they have a large main level, and equally large basement which is finished and has its own AC unit.  So heaven help us if they both need replacing at the same time!  

DH and I were just speaking earlier this morning about "making hay while the sun shines".  He mentioned it was a good thing he sprayed the trees (for caterpillars) yesterday.  And I said you have to make hay while the sun shines.  And then I remembered my Grandpa cutting and baling the hay on his farm when I was a kid.  We would ride on the wagon pulled behind the tractor while the hay bales were thrown up onto the flatbed trailer to haul to the barn.  I know my Dad was one of them doing all that heavy lifting.  The hay has to be cut and baled when it's not wet therefore doing it when the sun shines.  

Good luck with the boosters!  And prayers for DH on his biopsy next Tuesday.My DD is having a surgical procedure on 7/26 also so we can pray for them both!

Thank you Sandi.

My dear mam died of Metastatic cancer within 2 months of the doctor telling her.

My dad gave up even though I called 3 times a day and Pauline came with me every night.

He was admitted to hospital and wouldn't wear a catheter.

He went to the toilet during the night and fell hitting his head.

The hospital rang me and we rushed there and he died seconds after we got to his bedside.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

9 minutes ago, kplady said:

Good morning everyone!

Laura

I enjoyed your photos Laura.

Thank you for posting them.

Graham 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

My dear mam died of Metastatic cancer within 2 months of the doctor telling her.

My dad gave up even though I called 3 times a day and Pauline came with me every night.

He was admitted to hospital and wouldn't wear a catheter.

He went to the toilet during the night and fell hitting his head.

The hospital rang me and we rushed there and he died seconds after we got to his bedside.

Graham.

That is so sad about your poor Dad!  At least you got there right at the end.  My DD had prostate cancer for many years, for which he was given the hormone shots.  He had back pain due to disc damage for decades but his back pain was so severe he went to the doctor for it.  They found the cancer had moved up his spine to his brain, and after that diagnosis he died with hospice care at home 6 weeks later.  Age 90. Mom just sort of withered away with dementia and her heart problems worsening. Age 92  When they are together so long they feel like they want to be with their beloved spouse, so they just give up.  Sad for the rest of us though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is so sad about your poor Dad!  At least you got there right at the end.  My DD had prostate cancer for many years, for which he was given the hormone shots.  He had back pain due to disc damage for decades but his back pain was so severe he went to the doctor for it.  They found the cancer had moved up his spine to his brain, and after that diagnosis he died with hospice care at home 6 weeks later.  Age 90. Mom just sort of withered away with dementia and her heart problems worsening. Age 92  When they are together so long they feel like they want to be with their beloved spouse, so they just give up.  Sad for the rest of us though.

Thank you Sandi.

Paulines late lovely dad died of prostate cancer after 11 years in remission as it spread into his bones in July 2008.

Paulines dear mam lived another 10 years sharing 6 cruises in our cabin before Dementia took her aged 96 in October 2018.

Paulines sister never saw her mam for 4 years before she died.

They went to the church funeral service where her husband was making sarcastic comments while Father David was reading Ruth's life story.

They did not come to the crematorium or the lovely hotel lunch which was laid on for all the mourners.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 12

56 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Quick question. I have verified that I can schedule another Covid-19 booster shot. Is there any requirement that it be within a time frame before the cruise or is it even required?

Thanks

Not that I've heard of, we are double boosted and had our second booster 3 weeks before our last cruise in June. 

As long as you present your vaccination card and test results at the port, you should be good to go.

We are sailing with Celebrity on August 7th and they still aren't requiring anyone to be boosted.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

After record breaking temperatures last night it is currently 86°F in our garden.

All of our plants and hydrangeas have had a good watering.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

3 nice days today.

Excellent quote and what Pauline and I always abide to.

Nice meal and drink.

We have never been to today's port and all photos will be welcomed.

Prayers 🙏 for our care list people.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

FB_IMG_1658178159039.jpg.9eebe1351c5f170af19cb20d92c4c3ad.jpg

IMG_20220719_113240.jpg

IMG_20220719_110236.jpg

IMG_20220719_105900.jpg

IMG_20220719_104802.jpg

Screenshot_20220719_115806.jpg

IMG_20220719_085507.jpg

Love  the photos  of  your  flowers Graham.

Jim.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Thanks

I would like to know this too. What is the official call on cruising?

• Like 12