What's one thing HAL does that other lines do not (what not to miss)

LMaxwell

bb king at least on a few ships...better hurry as the execs seemed determined to eliminate it as it is probably the single most popular addition in years...why they would cut it is truly amazing...every show packed, most every comment positive, some people go multiple times...so let's cut it...

Oh, just realized you are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. For a while pre-covid, that ship was the subject of an unfortunate experiment by HAL bean counters to charge $$ for a second entree in the main dining room. So that was something "unique" 😜. Don't worry, the line realized the error of their ways and that's no longer the case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

What RCI ship did you book on?  Many (not all) still have access to the Viking Crown Lounge. 

Rhapsody OTS, westbound transAtlantic. Looking at cruisedeckplans, I do see the Viking Lounge -- I don't know how we never found it!!! We mostly hung out in the Centrum Balcony or the Schooner Bar...

30 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Rhapsody OTS, westbound transAtlantic. Looking at cruisedeckplans, I do see the Viking Lounge -- I don't know how we never found it!!! We mostly hung out in the Centrum Balcony or the Schooner Bar...

Royal Caribbean has neglected to utilized the Viking Crown Lounges appropriately for years; leading to new builds not having them, and some ships having space carved out for suites/loyalty lounges.  Vision-Class ships still have among the best Viking Crown Lounges.  Appreciate you sharing tips here and hopefully you get to experience the VCL also 

Hard for me to know because I only sail on HAL.  But, I do love the promenade deck on MOST of the ships.  I have met so many people on the promenade deck while I have been walking around.  On one cruise, I met this funny couple who were counting the number of laps I did.  We became instant friends after.  I think we were on Rotterdam this spring and the promenade deck INCLUDES the lifeboats which I didn't like because no more deck chairs and parts of the promenade is very narrow.  I have also been completely alone on the promenade at times and it was as if the whole ship was mine.  

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Royal Caribbean has neglected to utilized the Viking Crown Lounges appropriately for years;...

I think we must have had a few knitting sessions there, but the chairs were set up all in rows not facing the windows. Someone who apparently wanted to use the VC as his private library loudly scolded us for sounding like a bunch of "cackling hens", although the session WAS in the daily! Not sure if we met after that.

19 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Bread pudding (I only like this on Hal). 

We were on Koningsdam in April and the recipe has been changed for the bread pudding! I tried it twice! Other people were disappointed as well!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mary Lynne Weberg said:

We were on Koningsdam in April and the recipe has been changed for the bread pudding! I tried it twice! Other people were disappointed as well!

Yes it has. I only had it once, it was too bland. 

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I do not mind them doing so, as I know that MANY people onboard are not aware of the situation and how important this is to the crew.  Minor thing for me, Major thing for the crew.

I get the speech on almost every cruise, every cruise line; never fails. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:41 PM, 1ANGELCAT said:

Not being begged for a 10 on the survey.

LOL, I once was asked by a technician for the cable company after a visit NOT to give him a 10 if there was a followup phone survey. It seems 10s were sometimes read as a 1, and then the technician was in trouble. He was fine with a 9. (They now do 1-5.)

• Haha 1

I have only ever been implored for a 10 on a survey once.  Ironically, it was by the two room stewards I was least likely to give a good score to, let alone a 10.  All other crew have let their actions speak for their work ethic.  Those are the ones I gave an honorable mention and a high score to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I have only ever been implored for a 10 on a survey once.  Ironically, it was by the two room stewards I was least likely to give a good score to, let alone a 10.  All other crew have let their actions speak for their work ethic.  Those are the ones I gave an honorable mention and a high score to.

And that's the way I look at it.  Usually it's the ones that don't deserve it that are doing the requesting.  Last time I was on the K there was one waitress in the Tamarind that went on an on about rating her a 10, mentioning her by name and also submitting good feedback through the app.  That said, the service was good but it turned me off eating there.  

The Panama Rolls on a Panama Canal Cruise are something I really enjoy.  Have not found them on any other cruise line doing a Panama Canal Cruise.

I also love the Raisin Buns in the Lido at breakfast.  I’ve found Raisin Buns on other cruise lines but none are as good as the ones that HAL serves in the Lido.

So far, the only thing I've seen in this thread that might actually be true to the op's question is the priest on every sailing.  I haven't seen anything else mentioned that is truly unique to HAL.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

So far, the only thing I've seen in this thread that might actually be true to the op's question is the priest on every sailing.  I haven't seen anything else mentioned that is truly unique to HAL.  

Yeah I had heard there's some kind of chocolate dessert night; wondering if there will be any enrichment on a short cruise, etc. Something different to expect 

10 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

The Panama Rolls on a Panama Canal Cruise are something I really enjoy.  Have not found them on any other cruise line doing a Panama Canal Cruise.

I also love the Raisin Buns in the Lido at breakfast.  I’ve found Raisin Buns on other cruise lines but none are as good as the ones that HAL serves in the Lido.

OMG!!  An absolute “Must have” every breakfast 

On 7/20/2022 at 10:20 AM, DaveOKC said:

Lots of things already mentioned that I agree with, but need to add one - the ability to order dinner from the MDR menu to be sent to your cabin.  This really came in handy on one cruise when my Mom was not able to attend dinner but REALLY wanted the prime rib entrée.  We were able to dine on the balcony and enjoy the sailing from Vancouver while she got her favorite meal.

Is this always available? Was there a charge?

39 minutes ago, glutenhab said:

Is this always available? Was there a charge?

Yes, ordering from the MDR menu (viewed on your smart TV) is available during main dining room hours of operation.  There is no additional charge but a tip upon delivery is always appreciated.

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, ordering from the MDR menu (viewed on your smart TV) is available during main dining room hours of operation.  There is no additional charge but a tip upon delivery is always appreciated.

Some ships have limited times when you can place your order, usually during the first hour the MDR is open.  Also, they may have restrictions on what times the order can be delivered (often not until the MDR has been open for a bit due to the way dinners are prepped).