Onboard medical facility

35 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Have you tried the pills? For my first cruise I got the patches from my dr because I was concerned about seasickness. I have had it before when it was very hot and very rough. Granted this was on a small boat (37’) but I was still worried. The patch didn’t work out well for me because it made me so thirsty. It was like I couldn’t drink enough. Finally took it off after 2 days and didn’t have any problems. Haven’t had any issues on our cruises since but figured I would get one of the pills they have at GS. Glad the patch has worked for you. 
Does anyone know if guest services still hands out the pills for free? Over the years we have bought several boxes, but they have expired and I never needed them.

Oh, sorry if I mislead you, I got the patches for a "just in case" reason.  I've never taken anything for motion sickness.  I have intermittent vertigo and think it's a good idea to have something like that around, "just in case".  What's funny, I have less of a problem with vertigo on a ship than on land.  But, the next time I have a BAD bout with vertigo, I'm going to try the patches I have on hand, now!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Just make sure they are open for non-emergency treatments. I had a minor scratch that was bleeding.  All I needed was a band aide, but they were closed and when I tried to dial the non-emergency number on the phone in the waiting room the phone number was disconnected.

Dehydration is not a non-emergency issue.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

Just make sure they are open for non-emergency treatments. I had a minor scratch that was bleeding.  All I needed was a band aide, but they were closed and when I tried to dial the non-emergency number on the phone in the waiting room the phone number was disconnected.

You can get a bandage at Guest Services.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Of course it is cheaper to see your doctor at home and get patches at home because you can use your insurance.  The ship charges around $145 to see the doctor on the ship, cheaper if you just see the nurse.  You have to agree to the charges before you see the doctor.  If you go to medical due to covid, noro or influenza, in our experience, they will treat you for free as they do not want you infecting the ship.  I have been able to submit ship board expenses, when we were charged, to my insurance once I got home and have had them covered as out of network charges.

$145 is really cheap. My last office visit to my primary care physician was $218 for a basic office visit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mom2miracles said:

If you have a known reason for specifically needing a bolus of IV fluids, likely due to a medical condition, I suggest you get that sorted out with your physicians before you even board the ship. As someone who has some medical issues (including running IV fluids and medications at home, on a pump, on a daily basis), I bring aboard everything I need AND more *just in case*. I wouldn't rely on the cruise ship medical facility to fill in the blanks for a known condition and treatment you would normally get at home. I'm not saying that to be harsh, but you need to be prepared before you go - especially for known medical issues. The medical facility, to me anyways, would be for more acute issues that you are unprepared for. Also, for something that may be a simple fix to you, may mean something different to the staff in the medical facility where they may not be comfortable with you being on the ship. Which would lead to an unexpected stop and you being taken off the ship to a local medical facility. 

Most of the care at the medical center is for non-acute care. Including sunburn. 

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Of course it is cheaper to see your doctor at home and get patches at home because you can use your insurance.  The ship charges around $145 to see the doctor on the ship, cheaper if you just see the nurse.  You have to agree to the charges before you see the doctor.  If you go to medical due to covid, noro or influenza, in our experience, they will treat you for free as they do not want you infecting the ship.  I have been able to submit ship board expenses, when we were charged, to my insurance once I got home and have had them covered as out of network charges.

Agree. If I went to my regular Doctor w/o Insurance cost $249, for same reason on Ship usually $145. But in April on Jewel Daughter had a Sinus Infection, for her Meds/Antibiotics, 24hr Quarantine plus 2Neg CV Tests, no Charges and no need use any Insurance

Edited by ONECRUISER

8 hours ago, joeyancho said:

We have a whole bag of OTC meds that we take on every cruise.  Such as cough meds, allergy meds, pain meds, anti-diarrhea meds, meclizine, mole skin, all types of band aids, cortisone cream, antacids, neosporin, etc.  Additionally we bring an extra week of our prescription medicine.  It may seem a bit extreme to take all of this on vacation but there have been times when the need arose and we were glad to have them.  Also we have helped other passengers who needed it.

I'm having a chuckle here , because we do the exact same thing!

This has been very informative and thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I feel I should explain a little more. My wife has crohns disease and has had numerous operations for it. The latest was in January this year and recovery has been slow. As a result of it she is prone to occasional bouts of vomiting which usually can be controlled and stopped. But there have been a few occasions this year which required a visit to A&E for IV fluids to rehydrate her and get the electrolyte panel back in balance. Usually after a day or 2 she is good to go. My question really was to find out if this could be achieved while on the ship and we could continue with our cruise or if it would require her to be treated on land .

We are from the UK and have comprehensive (and very expensive lol) medical insurance which fully covers her condition so I am not worried on that score.

We have already been on a 12 day Arctic circle cruise in June on which she was the best she has been since her operation and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We have another 12 day coming up in September on Odyssey and

She has just had a short stay in hospital for fluids so that is what prompted my query.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have seen the pills for free right outside the medical center on Anthem.  

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, guest services still gives them out for free and the medical center has them too but they did not have them in the waiting room to grab like they used to precovid when we were on Quantum.  Much fewer side effects than the patch.

Thanks. Its good to know, but hopefully I won’t have to get any. I do bring candied ginger with me when I remember.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

I feel I should explain a little more. My wife has crohns disease and has had numerous operations for it. The latest was in January this year and recovery has been slow. As a result of it she is prone to occasional bouts of vomiting which usually can be controlled and stopped. But there have been a few occasions this year which required a visit to A&E for IV fluids to rehydrate her and get the electrolyte panel back in balance. Usually after a day or 2 she is good to go. My question really was to find out if this could be achieved while on the ship and we could continue with our cruise or if it would require her to be treated on land .

We are from the UK and have comprehensive (and very expensive lol) medical insurance which fully covers her condition so I am not worried on that score.

We have already been on a 12 day Arctic circle cruise in June on which she was the best she has been since her operation and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

She has just had a short stay in hospital for fluids so that is what prompted my query.

I'm sorry to hear she is dealing with this issue.   Hopefully you won't need to go to medical ctr but they should be able to help her.

I'm not familiar with chrohns disease but would increasing her salt intake help her retain fluids?    Maybe smart water or other beverages such as pedialyte help with electrolytes?

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

$145 is really cheap. My last office visit to my primary care physician was $218 for a basic office visit. 

Just an opinion - If you are paying, out of pocket, $145.00 or $218.00 for a routine office visit, you are under insured or your employer hasn't your best interest in mind and you might think of getting a supplement.   Again, JMHO

18 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Oh, sorry if I mislead you, I got the patches for a "just in case" reason.  I've never taken anything for motion sickness.  I have intermittent vertigo and think it's a good idea to have something like that around, "just in case".  What's funny, I have less of a problem with vertigo on a ship than on land.  But, the next time I have a BAD bout with vertigo, I'm going to try the patches I have on hand, now!

Bonine was originally developed to treat vertigo it was called antivert. 
I’ve used it for years to prevent sea sickness, which I’m prone to, but also for theme park rides, driving in the mountains, etc. 

If you find the  patches don’t work for you, try Bonine. 

• Thanks 1

I am sorry to hear about your wife's crohns condition.  I have autoimmune microscopic colitis and while it is not as severe are crohns, I have to plan for the worse while traveling.  I preemptively take my normal meds and emergency meds in case a flare happens.  In other words, my GI has me take meds as if in an active flare for a time before traveling and continues the course along with stepped up meds in case things escalate.  I then wean myself off after the trip.  It has worked for me.  Because your wife's condition is more complicated, I would reach out to Royal and tell them of your concerns.  It would be better to have the peace of mind that your wife will be properly accommodated.  Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!     

On 7/24/2022 at 2:07 AM, Trixie21 said:

I'm sorry your wife has had to deal with so much. I hope her recovery continues and she gets stronger and stronger. Perhaps you should touch base with her GI Doctor (or whoever follows her for her Crohns) and see if they have any suggestions to better prepare for a "just in case" situation? That would likely bring you both some more comfort and peace of mind while travelling. I hope your fall trip is just as wonderful as your June one! 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, jagsfan said:

I’ve used it for years to prevent sea sickness, which I’m prone to, but also for theme park rides, driving in the mountains, etc. 

Good Info.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, jagsfan said:

Do you use the OTC or prescription kind?

1 hour ago, mom2miracles said:

I'm sorry your wife has had to deal with so much. I hope her recovery continues and she gets stronger and stronger. Perhaps you should touch base with her GI Doctor (or whoever follows her for her Crohns) and see if they have any suggestions to better prepare for a "just in case" situation? That would likely bring you both some more comfort and peace of mind while travelling. I hope your fall trip is just as wonderful as your June one! 🙂

Thank you (and others) for your kind words .

Just goes to prove a cruise is the best medicine out there!

My wife has an appointment with her consultant prior to the cruise and we have some questions for him regarding what the best course of action is should she have an issue on the cruise so we will be as prepared as we can.

• Like 2

I got acute bronchitis on my last cruise. Went to the medical ctr and got IV antibiotics, a chest ray, IV fluids, nebulizer . Was able to go back to my room for the night then went back the next am for Dr followup, more treatment and then they gave me meds to go home with the next day. 
Total cost over $700 which I paid and then claimed back from my travel insurance. I was very satisfied with the care. Both the Drs I saw were excellent. 

If you have travel insurance and have to use onboard medical, make sure you get detailed medical records including diagnosis codes.  Our daughter had to visit medical for bronchitis on the last day of our cruise and they gave her nothing.  I thought we could stop by on departure day to get a copy, but they were closed.  It took several calls and a few weeks to get a copy of the records we needed for insurance to pay.  

11 hours ago, Newbieflorida said:

Since it sounds like the medical services onboard are pretty good, can I assume they have Paxlovid (I think that's the name) on board if we catch Covid at sea? (Of course, fingers crossed we don't!!)

Don't assume this.  There was a thread specifically about Paxlovid not too long ago, and between the cost and availability, it's not likely to be stocked.