The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 30th, 2022

richwmn

Terry @smitty34877, I am so sorry the virus has spread in your household.  I hope it will help to hear that the Paxlovid definitely helped my DH.  I must have gotten the virus first, and I have no idea where or how - a couple of weeks ago.  My case was mild, but I had given it to DH before I knew I had it, and his was not mild.  The Paxlovid started helping him by Day 3, and he was even better from then on.  My DB now has it and just started Paxlovid yesterday.  I think we may all be older than you - I'm late 60's, and DH and DB are 71 and 69 1/2 - if that matters.  DH did not have any adverse affects.  I'm wishing all of you all my best.

Cindy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if there was higher priority damage somewhere else.

Roy

That could be true.  I remembered I had a photo of them down there and added it to my post before the editing time expired in case anyone wants to look back at it. (( Or I could just add it right here.  Such a genius! )) 

5531B0DA-9579-4676-BC83-A435A92C4CE8.thumb.jpeg.01745d3e3350622ce11399e39e42da80.jpeg

I looked up and down my street and luckily it looks like no lawn trees were affected by the wind.  There are miles of cart path to drive along looking for damage after a storm so that might be why they ran off without finishing the job. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for all the photos of Portos.  I agree it's good to do something different in a port whenever you can.

Graham @grapau27your lunch looks delicious.  It's nearing lunch time here.   A very odd story about the man who faked his death then lived next door for so long, and not being noticed.  I wonder what reason he had for such a drastic measure?

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I too am fascinated by @grapau27's story.  Maybe he his next door to haunt his wife?  Find out how faithful she was?  Or maybe he just didn't like humanity.  But how did he get food?  I wonder if it's on Britbox?

Several days ago, I found out that I was being moved from one campaign in TX-selling to Fundraising (not my favorite thing to do) and I have to start with an ask of a thousand dollars.  Currently I am calling people who have given between 5-9.  Dollars.  Not thousands.  I am getting a lot of "no's".

But this morning I hurried from here to my other computer to start work, and we had no leads.  The system is broken. Which in reality I was grateful for, as I am calling people in KY, and think they have more on their minds than buying symphony tickets.   I was going to check in with the TX group, only to see my fellow coworkers texting about the fact they had no leads. So I had a Saturday off, while waiting over an hour to see what would happen. 

I have been loving the photos today.

Peanut sauce is great with chicken!!!!! OMG!   I need to call several friends today to see how they are doing, two with post eye surgeries, and one with a new condition.  So off I go again.

@smitty34877  Sorry to hear about the covid.

@kazuI am loving the Shadow!!!!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. We have been to Porto and enjoyed our day there. I will spare you my pictures. Thanks to Tina for the recipes and tofu ideas. I often make tofu dishes for myself and have them for lunch. The peanut sauce sounds wonderful.

Well I am sure it is not a surprise to anyone that we all are testing positive for Covid this morning. My DH has a number of medical problems and I am worried about him but we are all concerned about Tana.Three of us will start the pavloxid and we will all hope for the best. Our neighbors are still testing positive but said all their  cases were mild. Let us hope that is the story here.

Terry 

Oh no!!! Guess it was to be expected. Hope the pavloxid does its job.

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That could be true.  I remembered I had a photo of them down there and added it to my post before the editing time expired in case anyone wants to look back at it. (( Or I could just add it right here.  Such a genius! )) 

5531B0DA-9579-4676-BC83-A435A92C4CE8.thumb.jpeg.01745d3e3350622ce11399e39e42da80.jpeg

I looked up and down my street and luckily it looks like no lawn trees were affected by the wind.  There are miles of cart path to drive along looking for damage after a storm so that might be why they ran off without finishing the job. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for all the photos of Portos.  I agree it's good to do something different in a port whenever you can.

Graham @grapau27your lunch looks delicious.  It's nearing lunch time here.   A very odd story about the man who faked his death then lived next door for so long, and not being noticed.  I wonder what reason he had for such a drastic measure?

Insurance fraud.

Seaton Carew near Hartlepool is about 25 miles from our home.

Screenshot_20220730_171823.jpg

Screenshot_20220730_171846.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No FIL here. Friendships are so important. I am a cheesecake fan.

Don't agree with the quote; even though there are great moments, staying in one would forego future ones.

I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

I've been to Portugal, but not Porto. Thanks for the photos @StLouisCruisers @richwmn @Mtn2Sea @Quartzsite Cruiser 

It's nicely cooler here today. I'm waiting for the roofer to come; I'll have him look from the inside at the  damage to get an idea of the problem location. My house is 3 stories, so I don't know if he'll have ladders tall enough to get up on the outside today. The knee is feeling pretty good after the steroid shot.

@grapau27 Nice photo of you with your FIL and Sarah. Fascinating story about the Darwin house. Nice lunch.

@kazu Good luck getting Shadow into the kennel!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're feeling better today. Like you, I try to take ibuprofen rarely; it helps, but with other meds, I worry about my stomach. Hard to get that much money fundraising in these times.

@StLouisCruisers Great pictures. I was wondering if maybe you have a baker's cyst behind the knee? An ultrasound could rule that out.

@smitty34877 Oh no on everyone testing positive! I hope your cases are mild, and that the Paxlovid helps. I hear stories of an awful taste in the mouth with it, but I suppose a small price to pay.

@marshhawk Good job on keeping the blood sugar lower with the meal change.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Today we took the ferry from Oban to The Island of Mull. Even drizzle and cloudiness could not suppress the beauty.  
We are spending the night at Western Isles Hotel which overlooks the harbor.

Beautiful, beautiful day with everlasting memories.

Tomorrow we are taking ferry to Ardnamurchan Peninsula.

image.thumb.jpeg.8aaabeac3ea0070bbf14c3677448a8b2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.617bdd3751ab4f23206bef237d810f72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1695e9d7bfb0edc04f83d2dd2b2ed6ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f053f097da936f41fcec78564755f77.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fe371b9a48c3bfca634c735c6c3a0b67.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8e35608a09adc2c4b5bd4a04e574c38.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7913237625ba7f430530d15c2658deff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.75500c59aa95dab1a70e2296a4328623.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7388a2c43f15de1633a1c23aa2a5bb52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1a2da5cded0a96ed695b1aa1ecfe8b07.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b91130159023d4198227303d5fbc8c2.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Late today since I dashed out as soon as the dogs were walked so that I could get groceries and get home before the rains started. I almost made it. Monty is a bit slow this morning.... he had 19 teeth pulled yesterday and he still wanted his supper last night. I gave him some scrambled eggs which he loved. This morning he was eating as normal. Getting pills down him is a bit of a hassle. Fortunately he scarfs his food fast enough he does not seem to see them tucked into various bits. Hope he never wises up.

@aliaschiefI love Mull. When I was doing tours with my college students we usually had a 2 or 3 day break around Oban/Mull which of course included trips to Iona and Staffa. They were always reluctant to leave that area. Several times we used it as base for trips to the Outer Hebrides. Would love to go back.

Rains are coming again. Our high today is supposedly going to be high 60's - low 70's. I love it even if the dogs hate being forced out into the rain. 

Take care everyone and my best wishes to all on the care lists. 

Susan

• Like 29

21 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

kennel!

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're feeling better today. Like you, I try to take ibuprofen rarely; it helps, but with other meds, I worry about my stomach. Hard to get that much money fundraising in these times.

Thanks Vanessa.  I do feel better today.  So far no problems with the stomach.

i do think you have me mixed up with marshhawk.  i don’t do fundraising.

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks Vanessa.  I do feel better today.  So far no problems with the stomach.

i do think you have me mixed up with marshhawk.  i don’t do fundraising.

Terri

Oops! Sorry.

• Like 13

Good morning and thanks all!  

@0106 yum on those recipes!  
@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear about your family!  Praying the paxlovid helps! 
@kazu shadow is a beauty!  Hope each day is easier! 
@StLouisCruisers hope they can find out about your knees soon, I’m wondering if it’s bursitis where the sac behind your knee fills with fluid causing pain?  That’s what I was diagnosed with on The ship after an ultrasound.  Ice and elevation are your friends.   They can also drain it if necessary! 
@richwmnwe stayed in that same hotel in Porto! 
@cunnorl the bioluminescence sounds amazing! 

05444458-279B-4187-AF2F-0B847DCA72EC.jpeg

5E62FC55-7188-4A49-B404-682B8DF47773.jpeg

E8160EEE-BDB8-434B-8816-1AE206C5B140.jpeg

7DF18D0F-8C83-4FD3-BACA-9E8728398E81.jpeg

F594D734-EE6E-41CB-8C20-479195CEC833.jpeg

4331AA69-2502-4607-AB51-A361E7772049.jpeg

489FFE5E-1F27-4A65-B29C-3A601EA0C6B1.jpeg

837174B6-3A82-4611-81ED-B3767D40E902.jpeg

B3F71D01-C40D-4CB9-B763-F15188C8E348.jpeg

66BD2E21-D2FB-4633-B695-FC9D6750F404.jpeg

9D81132C-BBBD-440C-AE48-5BF2E44C0CF5.jpeg

FC3D48E5-5598-45D0-9B8A-63B3BD18B611.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 11

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

It was a nice, comfortable, hotel. Pretty good restaurant across the street. I had an easy time walking to several interesting places, including a three level shopping area with a McDonalds.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@smitty34877 I am so sorry o hear about your family!  Praying thepaxlovid helps! 
@StLouisCruisers hope they can find out about your knees soon, I’m wondering if it’s bursitis where the sac behind your knee fills with fluid causing pain?  That’s what I was diagnosed with on The ship after an ultrasound.  Ice and elevation are your friends.   They can also drain it if necessary! 

Porto is Portugal's second city and the home of 

Port Wine.

Nice photo of Sandemans who make the Ruby Port Wine.

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Today we took the ferry from Oban to The Island of Mull. Even drizzle and cloudiness could not suppress the beauty.  

@aliaschief Your Scotland tour adventures continue to be spectacular! Thanks, also, for responding about the tour company you use. Great info! 

Enjoy Oban! And, have a dram or two...

-Melisa

• Like 20

@Cruzin TerriYou might ask your dr. about carafate. For a long time I wasn't able to take Aleve or Motrin without a painful stomach. 1/2 tablet with the med. really helped.

It's so strange to read about the rain most of the country is experiencing. The Puget Sound area has been so dry-and hot! But we've also had some lovely bioluminescence lately. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. We have been to Porto and enjoyed our day there. I will spare you my pictures. Thanks to Tina for the recipes and tofu ideas. I often make tofu dishes for myself and have them for lunch. The peanut sauce sounds wonderful.

Well I am sure it is not a surprise to anyone that we all are testing positive for Covid this morning. My DH has a number of medical problems and I am worried about him but we are all concerned about Tana.Three of us will start the pavloxid and we will all hope for the best. Our neighbors are still testing positive but said all their  cases were mild. Let us hope that is the story here.

Terry 

Darn it Terry, I prayed so hard your family would avoid that nasty Covid. I hope all the cases are mild. Xx

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheKingD said:

Terry @smitty34877, I am so sorry the virus has spread in your household.  I hope it will help to hear that the Paxlovid definitely helped my DH.  I must have gotten the virus first, and I have no idea where or how - a couple of weeks ago.  My case was mild, but I had given it to DH before I knew I had it, and his was not mild.  The Paxlovid started helping him by Day 3, and he was even better from then on.  My DB now has it and just started Paxlovid yesterday.  I think we may all be older than you - I'm late 60's, and DH and DB are 71 and 69 1/2 - if that matters.  DH did not have any adverse affects.  I'm wishing all of you all my best.

Cindy

DH is 74 and I am 68. we both have medical issues but our real worry is our Tana. I am so glad the  medication helped and we are hoping it helps everyone. Thank  you for your good wishes.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, Everyone.  Life would be sad without friendship; never got to know father-in-law; and cheesecake, while good, is just too heavy for me after most meals.  DSIL really likes it, so I bake them for him.  All kinds...plain, chocolate, English toffee.  

We recently returned from a week's cruise to Mexico, coupled with some local tourism stuff in the Los Angeles area.  It was such a lovely summer vacation, I'm having trouble getting organized and on task again at home.  DD's baby is due any minute, so there has been a frenzy of activity getting organized for that.  DGD age 3 will stay with us when she goes to the hospital.

The photo's of Porto are great.  Isn't the model for Harry Potter bookstore somewhere in that region?  We did a transatlantic ending in Lisbon, rented  a car, and headed south and then circled back to Lisbon (really enjoying Sintra as part of that.)

I just told DH we need to go again, but instead drive north and enjoy Porto.  So many of you have said you wish you'd had more time there.

One great thing about touring in Portugal is they have a scheme where the government subsidizes historic buildings to be used as hotels.  We stayed in an old monastery -- beautiful and not too expensive.

@smitty34877, I'm very sorry to hear that covid is bearing down on your family.  Treatments do seem to be much better.  Prayers are with you.

Well, that's it from sunny and humid San Diego.  Someone needs to get organized and clean this house.  Oh, that would be me!  🙃

Wishing all a safe and pleasant day.  Thanks for the Daily!     🌹   🌼   🌷

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Bioluminescence...If you have seen it before, you know how amazing it is.

DH and I experienced bioluminescence during a private tour on Vieques. Our guide took us out in a small peddle boat. Each peddle turn created a new stream of 'stars' in the water behind us. And, when he had us throw a handful of water high into the air, we were  surrounded by 'stars' raining down. As @cunnorl said, Amazing!

• Like 18

Good Morning Everyone!

We love cheesecake here, but I save it for special occasions as we don't need all the calories!  When I was 15 I saw a recipe for it in the "Dear Abby" column of the newspaper and surprised the family with one, since they I have collected many different recipes for them and added my own special twists!  My coworkers suggested if I was tired of being a nurse I could open a bakery of cheesecakes!  Told them then it would be "work" not a fun treat to make!

Thank you Roy @rafinmd for include my Dad in the care list. My son called today and he has tested positive for Covid, so far just mild sore throat.  His wife and the Grands are negative.  The hard thing is he has a big work conference that he is the head of for his company, so now he is scrambling to get others to cover and to do much of it remotely.  Told him to make sure he rests, work will be there!

I told Hubby I will need a cruise after this next week, going to be a "Camp Nurse" this week and temperatures will be ugly (it was 111 F here yesterday and even though camp is in the foothills they have been hitting 100!) I think I have plenty of sunscreen and have my sunhats ready!

Everyone take care and have a wonderful week, I'll check in when I get back from camp! (will be "unplugged" while there)

Denise

• Like 24

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Insurance fraud.

Seaton Carew near Hartlepool is about 25 miles from our home.

Screenshot_20220730_171823.jpg

Screenshot_20220730_171846.jpg

That's a fascinating story and I guess it makes sense.  I couldn't figure out how the man never was noticed by the wife living right next door because he would have had to leave sometime during that 5.5 years!  Appropriate that they were caught and punished for that insurance fraud.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No FIL here. Friendships are so important. I am a cheesecake fan.

Don't agree with the quote; even though there are great moments, staying in one would forego future ones.

I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

I've been to Portugal, but not Porto. Thanks for the photos @StLouisCruisers @richwmn @Mtn2Sea @Quartzsite Cruiser 

It's nicely cooler here today. I'm waiting for the roofer to come; I'll have him look from the inside at the  damage to get an idea of the problem location. My house is 3 stories, so I don't know if he'll have ladders tall enough to get up on the outside today. The knee is feeling pretty good after the steroid shot.

@grapau27 Nice photo of you with your FIL and Sarah. Fascinating story about the Darwin house. Nice lunch.

@kazu Good luck getting Shadow into the kennel!

@StLouisCruisers Great pictures. I was wondering if maybe you have a baker's cyst behind the knee? An ultrasound could rule that out.

@smitty34877 Oh no on everyone testing positive! I hope your cases are mild, and that the Paxlovid helps. I hear stories of an awful taste in the mouth with it, but I suppose a small price to pay.

@marshhawk Good job on keeping the blood sugar lower with the meal change.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

I had an ultrasound a few weeks back and nothing was seen.  The PA did say the words Baker's cyst but that would have been seen in the ultrasound.  When I bend my knee and lift my foot up it does feel strange like a swollen finger would feel if you bent it.  Uncomfortable is the word.  

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8aaabeac3ea0070bbf14c3677448a8b2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.617bdd3751ab4f23206bef237d810f72.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1695e9d7bfb0edc04f83d2dd2b2ed6ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9f053f097da936f41fcec78564755f77.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fe371b9a48c3bfca634c735c6c3a0b67.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8e35608a09adc2c4b5bd4a04e574c38.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7913237625ba7f430530d15c2658deff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.75500c59aa95dab1a70e2296a4328623.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7388a2c43f15de1633a1c23aa2a5bb52.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1a2da5cded0a96ed695b1aa1ecfe8b07.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8b91130159023d4198227303d5fbc8c2.jpeg

As soon as I saw the first photo I knew that was Tobermory, Scotland.  It has a unique look to it the way the buildings curl around the waterline there.  I enjoyed a walk there during our 2019 Prinsendam cruise.  Sounds like a really great trip you're having.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear about your family!  Praying the paxlovid helps! 

I'll keep that in mind when I get into the doctor's for a visit.  Whenever that is.  I wonder why the ultrasound on July 11 didn't find anything like that?  I wouldn't mind them draining fluid if that's the problem.  It would be a relief really.  It doesn't look swollen to me, but honestly it's very hard to look at the back of your knee!  You only get a good look at one side at a time by turning it left, then turning it right.  Frustrating!

We are hearing thunder around here so we could get rain at any time.  Wish we could send some to Washington state!  Anybody else want some?

I texted DS and asked what their plans were this weekend.  He said he and Ren were seeing a doctor because Ren has felt lousy all week, after his big tournament in Florida.  He said Ren has all the symptoms of Covid including loss of taste/smell, but he had 2 negative tests, and the doctor was doing a third right then.  And immediately after he told me that he said the doctor's test was negative too, even though she thought he had it before the results came back.  Perhaps it's an old fashioned cold or even flu.  We all jump to the conclusion it's Covid when we get sick, but you never know.  Ren had Covid one month ago so you'd think he wouldn't have it again.  I hope they figure it out.  They're supposed to drive to Notre Dame in Indiana for a soccer camp but he probably doesn't feel up to it.  If they figure it out I'll let you know.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Lovely photos.

When I was about 10 years old we stayed in Largs Scotland.

My mam,dad, brother and myself got on a Caledonian ferry a few times sailing around the small islands which I enjoyed.

• Like 14

@bennybear I loved your photo graph of the optical illusion flooring

@aliaschiefyour pictures are making me feel like I'm right behind you on your travels.  I am truly enjoying your adventures.

@Cruzin Terri and I think my bosses get me confused with actually being a fund raiser too.  LOL

@StLouisCruisers We are now hearing the thunder, and i am hoping that it does storm, but with out loss of power.  Last night's storm (which my friend Debbie tells me was at 1 a.m. in midtown) was a real BANGER, but the rain put me right back to sleep, and I am loving this rain.

I read weird news, and yes it's googly news, but if you look between the lines you will notice something.

The something really is about Covid.  You can get it more than once, mainly because while your body may not change, the virus does.  We just keep calling it Covid.  The other thing I keep reading (mind you it seems to be in small print if you know what I mean) is that the drug that you give you relieves the symptoms. but people who are taking it , are getting Covid again immediately after they stop taking  it.  (Fauci, Biden).  I have to assume that every one around me is carrying Covid, and I do continue to wear a mask,  when I go any where.  That said, I was doing a sales call the other day, the gentle man said he was very wary.  He wears a mask all the time, he's had his vaccines and he cares for his elderly 86 year old mother.  Within a week, he got covid.  His mother got covid, and his "honey" got covid.  This "bug" has not gone away, it's constantly mutating, and we have already realized that even our most cautious life style isn't a deterrent.  I think that's why so many, including the news reporting have just thrown in the towel.  I think we all need to be warriors!!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2