The Upgrade Fairy still has a pulse

Just off of a B3B that started out as a B2B, but we were having so much fun that we decided to book the third leg while on board. All that was available for the third leg was an interior and we figured we would spend most of our time up in the solarium anyway, so it was OK. The next morning (the day before TAD) we went down to GS to inquire if we could purchase an upgrade to a balcony if one became available and they said they would put a note in our file to check once they got the final manifest.

On TAD we had not heard anything, so we settled in to the interior cabin. The next morning after we came back from breakfast, there was a card from GS in our door lock saying they wanted to talk to us about a concern. We went down to GS, and DW stood in line while I used a house phone to call, because the phone in our interior cabin didn't work. The GS person who answered informed me that we had been upgraded to a balcony at no charge! 

DW and I switched places in line and she went back up to the cabin to start to re-pack everything while I picked up the new seapass cards. By the time I got back to the cabin, she was already packed and the room steward moved us within 20 minutes to the new cabin.

Thank you Upgrade Fairy!!!!🥰😍🤩

Edited by orville99
  • Like 43

26 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

But she only works on ships - she's not allowed to work in Miami.

I'm not sure anyone actually WORKS in Miami, based on the lack of consistency in what they deliver to their customers.😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thesandman12 said:

Good for you all.  It AWAYS PAYS TO ASK, does not cost either.  Congrats.

The best part is that it has been so long since the reports that the upgrade fairy was dead and gone that we never even thought about a free upgrade. We had already told GS that we were fine with paying for an upgrade if one became available, and even tried to do a last minute RoyalUP bid as well (that had closed out already).

15 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

TERRIFIC.  Hope you enjoyed your cruises.  

M

They were all enjoyable, but three completely different experiences. The first leg was an 8 night southern ABC cruise with two sea days at both ends, and the majority of the passengers were more seasoned cruisers; the second leg was an 8-night eastern with five short port stops, and there were a lot of extended families on that one, and the last leg was a 5 night Bahamas cruise, to Labadee and Coco Cay and that one was mostly a party till you drop crowd. All three cruises were at full capacity for the Mariner (~3,600 pax).

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me a couple of times.  Asked at GS for any available upgrades...was told to come back after sail away (manifest closed).  Went from JS to GS once, and JS to OS twice.  

This upgrade fairy had a price.  😮  But it was half the price of my refused bid on Royal UP.  😉 

I had heard GS desk was not awarding upgrades on the ship any longer...nice to know they still could.  

I think this depends on the ship. Some ships (like when we were on Odyssey in Feb), will just refer you to Royal Up. They even have business cards printed with the info and won't discuss it with you. I haven't kept track of wat's been reported on what ships, but my guess is that the newer the ship, the better the chances that it's Royal Up only. That you'll have a better chance at having GS controlled upgrades on older ships. Again, just a guess.

But congrats!!

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The same thing happened to me a couple of times.  Asked at GS for any available upgrades...was told to come back after sail away (manifest closed).  Went from JS to GS once, and JS to OS twice.  

This upgrade fairy had a price.  😮 

This is essentially what we aske for - a paid upgrade to any cabin or suite with a balcony if one was available. We were shocked (and pleased) when they upgraded us at no cost.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, orville99 said:

This is essentially what we aske for - a paid upgrade to any cabin or suite with a balcony if one was available. We were shocked (and pleased) when they upgraded us at no cost.

Ahh...but with your polite and gracious manor...who could refuse...much less charge you?  😉 

• Haha 1