The official reason for the lack of turndown service.

MX-Drew

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Tried the wall once, nice was quite enough!

On our first Indy trip there was a young couple on their honeymoon. At lunch we were all chatting about the facilities. He was asked if he had tried the climbing wall, he said it was ok. A fellow dinner asked him what he did for a living. Turns out he was in RAF seach and Rescue based in Cumbria. Prefer the flowrider to the climbing wall.🏄

• Haha 1

Whilst I completely agree that the world has become more judgemental, I don't think missing things that you have enjoyed is elitist. Yes, the 'golden age of cruising' (before air travel became easily accessible for many) was probably elitist as it was very expensive. I however am wistful for the P&O basically pre-Ventura. By this time, imho, cruising had become much more accessible (although maybe not to the degree that it is now) but still had many of the niceties from earlier years.

It really does now feel to me that P&O are moving away completely from the cruising ethos to the floating-hotel ethos. I'm not saying there is something terribly wrong about that and appreciate that it will be attractive to many, especially perhaps those new to cruising. Some of us however really do miss some of the aspects of cruising that made it feel different to a hotel stay.

I do accept that some of these aspects may return eventually but for me, my cruise next year with P&O will be the test. If the things that have been suspended in light of Covid have not returned by then, I strongly suspect it will be my last P&O cruise...

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We are embracing the here and now, and P&O bargins.

Treating the big P&O ships as an opportunity to be experimented with.  We have booked 2 weeks in a suite on Arvia in 2024 , giving it time to settle in. It will cost precisely  43% yes 43% of our Saga cruise in June or our upcoming  Cunard QG. Full Suite on P&O marginally cheaper than standard balcony on Cunard.

So we obviously won't be expecting same service throughout ship. Àlthough our last P&O trip on Aurora the room and butler service was as good as anywhere. But for the £8k saved, can and will eat every night in Epicurean, Sindhu, ... and hardly touch savings. If we want peace and quiet get a huge balcony, at bargin price

If Epicurian and Sindhu are open😀.

Our last few P&O cruises we mostly booked the speciality restaurants and they are very good. For the odd cruise in the quiet season we would still book P&O, your comments on comparative pricing is spot on. For main holidays we would now go elsewhere. 

To each their own and many people clearly enjoy the new offering. You don’t tend to miss what you never had.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Our last few P&O cruises we mostly booked the speciality restaurants and they are very good. For the odd cruise in the quiet season we would still book P&O, your comments on comparative pricing is spot on. For main holidays we would now go elsewhere. 

To each their own and many people clearly enjoy the new offering. You don’t tend to miss what you never had.

I hope that speciality restaurants are open by June 2024.🤔

If not we will move our very small 5% deposit to a later cruise. You are right, we also  wouldn't experiment with a big ship if it was our only/main holiday, but we are lucky its one of many.  You will never know if you don't try something and we're not the type to let little things spoil our enjoyment, or to waste energy constantly saying it's not as good as X , or as good it used to be. 

Always look on the bright side 😎😎

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

But of course, the speciality restaurants don't suit everyone. I would enjoy eating in the Epicurean but not half my cruise or more. In Sindhu and the Beach House, there are very few dishes that suit my palate so would only visit Sindhu maybe once and Beach House probably no more than twice. Glass House the same...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

But of course, the speciality restaurants don't suit everyone. I would enjoy eating in the Epicurean but not half my cruise or more. In Sindhu and the Beach House, there are very few dishes that suit my palate so would only visit Sindhu maybe once and Beach House probably no more than twice. Glass House the same...

Indeed, we don’t all like the same things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If not we will move our very small 5% deposit to a later cruise. You are right, we also  wouldn't experiment with a big ship if it was our only/main holiday, but we are lucky its one of many.  You will never know if you don't try something and we're not the type to let little things spoil our enjoyment, or to waste energy constantly saying it's not as good as X , or as good it used to be. 

I’m sure they are open now, the smiley was to indicate a joke.

Like you once I’m on holiday I enjoy it, whatever it is. A day on any ship is better than cooking, cleaning etc at home?

A discussion on a cruise forum is a different matter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Whilst I completely agree that the world has become more judgemental, I don't think missing things that you have enjoyed is elitist. Yes, the 'golden age of cruising' (before air travel became easily accessible for many) was probably elitist as it was very expensive. I however am wistful for the P&O basically pre-Ventura. By this time, imho, cruising had become much more accessible (although maybe not to the degree that it is now) but still had many of the niceties from earlier years.

It really does now feel to me that P&O are moving away completely from the cruising ethos to the floating-hotel ethos. I'm not saying there is something terribly wrong about that and appreciate that it will be attractive to many, especially perhaps those new to cruising. Some of us however really do miss some of the aspects of cruising that made it feel different to a hotel stay.

I do accept that some of these aspects may return eventually but for me, my cruise next year with P&O will be the test. If the things that have been suspended in light of Covid have not returned by then, I strongly suspect it will be my last P&O cruise...

Very thoughtful comment extremely interesting to read

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

We had a very good cruise to the fjords on X recently. It cost more than P&O, but X normally do.🤣

18 hours ago, zap99 said:

We had a very good cruise to the fjords on X recently. It cost more than P&O, but X normally do.🤣

Yes ,  I  agree , we also had very good cruise on Saga, and on Cunard QG, both cost much more than P&O.  However P&O has much to offer in that last time we sailed on P&O had best evening entertainment,  which should be better on bigger ship.

So rather than bemoaning P&O 's direction of travel thought we'd see it as an opportunity. Full aft Suite for 43% of the price of lines I mentioned.  Satisfy hunger for better food using speciality restaurants,  peace and quiet on huge balcony plus the entertainment at night.

An experiment, I was pointing out that there might be some benefits in P&O pricing and direction of travel to be exploited.

Lack of turndown service not withstanding, as long as we have clean towels and bed made once a day it will not ruin cruise.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Britboys said:

don't think missing things that you have enjoyed is elitist

A slight misunderstanding between us.  I wasn't suggesting missing things was elitist.  I was however suggesting that those who want the old formal attire etc. might be best suited to change to something that may suit them a little better.  The constant theme on the "calibre" (for want of a better word!) of P&Os newer guests, particularly their dress sense is clearly upsetting some of the older style cruisers.  Clothes don't maketh the man I used to be told. 

Good manners on the other hand are something very much missing on occasion from all levels of society. Some of the rudest people I have ever encountered were on a Cunard ship where my mother refused to go to dinner whilst seated with them because they were embarrassed by my cutting her food for her due to chronic arthritis leaving her hands like claws.

As I say people are becoming very judgmental about the most strange things.  The throwaway comments and sideways glances are often overheard or seen and those on the receiving end can be deeply hurt.

Of course we all pay our money and take a chance on who is onboard but realistically the changes have been there for some time now and the answer is to walk away if you are not happy with it.

Regarding the floating hotels, I don't believe p&O are anywhere near that yet.  Too many of the ships in the fleet have no facilities to offer that type of holiday.  Even Iona is pushing the envelope on that one.  The truth is P&O are trying to appeal to a British market that is moving on from the Spanish Costa breaks because they've been there and got the tee shirt.  Those of us a bit older lived through the movement from the UK bucket and spade holiday to the Costa breaks.  This next step is the natural progression for families wanting to do something different.  I hate the term hard working families but basically this is who P&O are seeking, those who want a break with the kids but with the ability to offload them somewhere safe to have fun while the parents can relax, enjoy the sun and have a drink or whatever.  You see it all the time.  For a lot of British families nowadays there's a very set pattern for holidays and high level culture and history aren't that far up their list anymore unfortunately.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

A slight misunderstanding between us.  I wasn't suggesting missing things was elitist.  I was however suggesting that those who want the old formal attire etc. might be best suited to change to something that may suit them a little better.  The constant theme on the "calibre" (for want of a better word!) of P&Os newer guests, particularly their dress sense is clearly upsetting some of the older style cruisers.  Clothes don't maketh the man I used to be told. 

Good manners on the other hand are something very much missing on occasion from all levels of society. Some of the rudest people I have ever encountered were on a Cunard ship where my mother refused to go to dinner whilst seated with them because they were embarrassed by my cutting her food for her due to chronic arthritis leaving her hands like claws.

As I say people are becoming very judgmental about the most strange things.  The throwaway comments and sideways glances are often overheard or seen and those on the receiving end can be deeply hurt.

Of course we all pay our money and take a chance on who is onboard but realistically the changes have been there for some time now and the answer is to walk away if you are not happy with it.

Regarding the floating hotels, I don't believe p&O are anywhere near that yet.  Too many of the ships in the fleet have no facilities to offer that type of holiday.  Even Iona is pushing the envelope on that one.  The truth is P&O are trying to appeal to a British market that is moving on from the Spanish Costa breaks because they've been there and got the tee shirt.  Those of us a bit older lived through the movement from the UK bucket and spade holiday to the Costa breaks.  This next step is the natural progression for families wanting to do something different.  I hate the term hard working families but basically this is who P&O are seeking, those who want a break with the kids but with the ability to offload them somewhere safe to have fun while the parents can relax, enjoy the sun and have a drink or whatever.  You see it all the time.  For a lot of British families nowadays there's a very set pattern for holidays and high level culture and history aren't that far up their list anymore unfortunately.

Totally agree with your comments, I have lived with comments all my life being mixed race you found the older generation sometimes very obnoxious, but the younger generation just see me not my colour and cruising luckily changing for the better.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

In terms of cruise/hotel, I guess these are some of things that were in my mind - complimentary drinks parties held by various officers, the cabin attendant delivering early morning tea (as opposed to room service doing it), the port guides in each cabin, the welcome aboard sheet detailing when shows etc will be on, the voyage log, officers mixing with pax at events, the Captain's welcome party. There are probably other little things I've forgotten too. None essential but niceties that are unique to cruising. As I say, some may return. We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 3

I doubt if all the things mentioned in posts above will return to cruising with P&O. People have happily accepted  P&O's lower real prices, we must realise something must give.

I can live with clean towels once a day. There are not that many even 5 star hotel that change towels twice a day.  We just hang them up in bathroom till morning . Always make sure we have spare clean towels

Paying £450 a night for a full suite on P&O I  don't mind if we don't get all the services mentiooned abou that you used to get in the golden days of cruising. However paying over £1000 a night with other lines, I certainly expect everything mentioned .

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Paying £450 a night for a full suite on P&O I  don't mind if we don't get all the services mentiooned abou that you used to get in the golden days of cruising. However paying over £1000 a night with other lines, I certainly expect everything mentioned .

Suite passengers should still get the turndown service, or a version of it. Maybe no chocolates!

On 8/5/2022 at 7:02 PM, Eglesbrech said:

If all the little niceties of cruising are systematically cut away then it is no more or less than a floating hotel. To be honest that’s where it seems to be heading, for P&O at least.

I understand that it is insignificant to some and that’s fine for them but when they cut something you value, then you might get it.

I have said exactly that before. It's okay, until it affects you......

As someone who has been travelling with them for over 20 years, I can safely say, they are heading in the wrong direction - that of downwards.

• Like 2