Euros How to handle?

kenphy

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

In the last ten years, the only times I have needed Euros was at a few restrooms where there are attendants. These are often at the more isolated tourist sites. Spain, Portugal, Turkey and Israel, to name a few. Maybe a few kiosks here and there. 

Whether you need or don't need Euros depends on how you travel.  If you are simply flying to Europe to get on a cruise, using mostly cruise line excursions, cruise line transfers, cruise line pre-post packages, then you can mostly get along with a major credit card and some dollars.  But when you go off and do things on your own, having Euros may be a real necessity.   DW and I have eaten at quite a few places in Europe that do not except credit cards (and some others that charge a nasty extra fee if you insist on using a credit card) and only deal in the local currency (Euros in most countries).  If you do not have Euros you can find yourself in the uncomfortable situation of sending out one of your part to find the nearest ATM.   And this can happen at unexpected times.  A few years ago, DW and I booked a pretty high-end B&B (almost like an Inn) in Brugge.  When we checked-in the owner/operator said that their credit card machine had not been working for days (it turned out to be a major problem with a local bank that affected many places).  We had to pay the B&B in Euros and because it was a multi-day stay we needed nearly 1000 Euros.  We could handle that because we travel with multiple Debit/ATM cards (drawn on different banks/accounts) so it was possible for us to get that kind of money out of a single ATM using 3 different ATM cards.

The advice that I have long offered to fellow travelers is to always have enough local currency to cover the cost of an eating venue.  Even if you plan on using a credit card, the restaurant says they accept credit cards, etc. there are times when you may go to pay your bill and be told that the credit card system is down!  This has happened to us multiple times in quite a few countries.  The old Boy Scout motto again comes into play which is "Be Prepared."

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

if you plan on using a credit card, the restaurant says they accept credit cards, etc. there are times when you may go to pay your bill and be told that the credit card system is down! 

Who hoo - free dinner!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The advice that I have long offered to fellow travelers is to always have enough local currency to cover the cost of an eating venue.  Even if you plan on using a credit card, the restaurant says they accept credit cards, etc. there are times when you may go to pay your bill and be told that the credit card system is down!  This has happened to us multiple times in quite a few countries.  The old Boy Scout motto again comes into play which is "Be Prepared."

Hank

There are also small (often the more attractive) eateries which will only accept chip and pin credit cards - meaning that you must pay in cash unless you happen to be carrying  one of the few chip and pin cards offered in the US (usually for a substantial annual fee).

Edited by navybankerteacher

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are also small (often the more attractive) eateries which will only accept chip and pin credit cards - meaning that you must pay in cash unless you happen to be carrying  one of the few chip and pin cards offered in the US (usually for a substantial annual fee).

That used to be a common topic on some of the CC boards.  Several years ago we would often have issues because of the common US issued signature credit cards.  But on our last few trips (including a 2 month trip to Europe this March-May) we have no longer run into that problem.   I imagine it does still happen, but not to us.   Where is can still be a problem is for those of us who rent/least cars and want to use gas pumps after hours when the pump may only accept a Chip/Pin card.

Hank

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That used to be a common topic on some of the CC boards.  Several years ago we would often have issues because of the common US issued signature credit cards.  But on our last few trips (including a 2 month trip to Europe this March-May) we have no longer run into that problem.   I imagine it does still happen, but not to us.   Where is can still be a problem is for those of us who rent/least cars and want to use gas pumps after hours when the pump may only accept a Chip/Pin card.

Hank

It also happens at railroad and metro stations where such cards are needed to buy tickets - unless there is a manned window (sometimes with a long line) you are out of luck.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It also happens at railroad and metro stations where such cards are needed to buy tickets - unless there is a manned window (sometimes with a long line) you are out of luck.

True (forgot about that issue).  It once happened to us at Rotterdam's main train station where the ticket machines would not accept our non-chipped credit cards (but these days all of our cards are chipped) and even the upstairs main ticket office was incapable of processing the old signature card.  At the time we were told that the main station in Amsterdam was the only train station in the country that could accept such cards.  Fortunately, we had enough Euros to pay in cash.  I do not know if these issues still exist since we have not used the trains for a few years.

Hank

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not all lines will cash travelers checks.

Thank you.  I did not know that.  

6 hours ago, carlmm said:

Postcards

I tried to buy a few postcards at Ushuaia, Argentina.  I needed Argentine Pesos (which I did not have and could not obtain before leaving for that trip); a credit card was not accepted.  

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not all lines will cash travelers checks.

Thank you.  I did not know that.  

6 hours ago, carlmm said:

Postcards

I tried to buy a few postcards at Ushuaia, Argentina.  I needed Argentine Pesos (which I did not have and could not obtain before leaving for that trip); a credit card was not accepted.  

5 hours ago, wcook said:

Who hoo - free dinner!

How's your dish washing skills?  

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So much agree!  Your thinking is exactly why I try to leave home with at least a small amount of the currency for the countries that I will be visiting.  

The advice, whether obtaining money from an ATM or buying something, to have the charge in local currency and not in US dollars is to one's advantage.  

21 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Just to clarify, when you talk “chip and pin” are you referring to the chip in most current credit cards and the four digit pin that can be used to withdraw from an ATM?

I suspect the new US chip/pin cards are similar to cards we have used for 30+ years. We never need a signature when we purchase with our Visa from a merchant. We insert the card into the reader and enter the pin. You set the pin number at the bank when applying for the card, or upon receipt. It can be the same pin as an ATM card, or you can use a different one for each Visa.

However, we rarely use our pin these days, as most purchases are now completed by tapping the Visa card to the reader. Only for significant purchases do we require a pin.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Just to clarify, when you talk “chip and pin” are you referring to the chip in most current credit cards and the four digit pin that can be used to withdraw from an ATM?

Don't use your credit card to get cash. That is a "cash advance ", and usually comes with hefty fees. Only use an ATM card.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Not exactly and here I need to bore you with some history.  In much of the world, especially in Europe, credit cards have worked in conjunction with a PIN number in a similar manner as our own (USA) debit cards.  But here in the USA, when we traditionally used a Visa, MC, AMEX, etc, we simply signed a credit card slip.  But many years ago, most of the world had stopped using a signature and moved to a PIN.  And than much of the world moved to credit cards that had embedded chips while in the USA we still were using magnetic strips.  In the USA we have slowly played catch-up with most of our cards now having chips, but many credit cards still using signatures rather than PINs.

So when you use a major credit card in Europe they will hand you a credit card machine and expect you to put in your PIN and perhaps add a tip.  For a few years, if your card did not have a Pin it may or may not have been accepted at European facilities.  Some had the capability of processing a card with a signature, but it was a pain for management.   But lately we have noticed that most places are better prepared for a Chip/Signature card and most of the portable credit card machines used in Europe are capable of printing out a receipt that can be signed (which is still a pain for management).  We carry several major credit cards when we travel and about half of them do now have a PIN with the rest only working with signature.  The Pins are still not generally needed or used here in the USA, but they do work when we are in Europe or Canada.

Debit/ATM cards are somewhat different (although many can be used in lieu of a credit card.   Debit/ATM cards do not carry the same Federal protection that is given to credit cards.  It can be very difficult to dispute a debit/ATM card transaction.  But most US Debit/ATM cards do work in European (and just about everywhere else) ATMs with your usual 4 digit PIN.  Just beware that nearly all ATMs have relatively low daily limits (often about $500...sometimes less).  When traveling we completely rely on our ATM cards to obtain local cash from ATMs.  But when shopping, dining out, paying hotels, etc. we rely on our credit cards.  I should add that we have several credit cards that charge zeros fees (other than the standard 1% International transaction fee which is built into the exchange rates) for foreign transactions.   

One important tip.  When using a credit card in a foreign country always make sure the transaction is completed in the currency of that country.  If you are asked if you want it transacted in US Dollars, always decline and demand it be done in the local currency.  Having it done in US Dollars will always result in you paying more (sometimes as much as 10%).  This is part of a legal scheme often called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and it is something to be avoided on both credit and debit cards.  In fact, if an ATM asks if you will accept a conversion (this will often appear on the ATM screen) say NO or Decline.  The transaction will them be completed in the local currency and the currency conversion will be done through the international banking system (this normally is only a 1% hit to the wholesale rate of exchange)>

Hank

• Like 2

To the OP, as you can see we are all different and have different wants/needs. I travel solo and have been to Europe multiple times as well and I always bring euros with me from home. Some may say I am being silly and paying extra when I don't need to but it is my choice. I much prefer having the currency with me and not concerning myself with finding an ATM. It gives me peace of mind to have it with me.

I definitely bring credit cards as well........and as an example, My CAPITAL ONE VISA has NO foreign transaction fees so that is the one I almost always use. As for when I use the Euros? I recently had an accident on a cruise and had to go to the hospital in Valencia Spain. I needed to pay for treatment and had left my CC in the cabin but had euros with me.........used them to pay for it. Fortunately for me, the charges were nothing compared to what you pay here at home......and I filed a claim after returning home and have already been reimbursed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishboy1947 said:

No - I am referring to chip and pin credit cards which are common in Europe but are only issued by four or five issuers in the U S - who charge a healthy annual fee. Try Googling chip and pin cards.

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I much prefer having the currency with me and not concerning myself with finding an ATM. It gives me peace of mind to have it with me.

As it does with me.

30 minutes ago, Lois R said:

. I needed to pay for treatment and had left my CC in the cabin but had euros with me

The question seems to be is what is enough.  

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No - I am referring to chip and pin credit cards which are common in Europe but are only issued by four or five issuers in the U S - who charge a healthy annual fee. Try Googling chip and pin cards.

Most of Chase’s cards are now chip and pin, some with a fee, others not.  This is recent 

We almost made it all around Australia and New Zealand without any local currency in 2017.  Then, we needed a coin for a locker at the Auckland Museum.  We went to the service desk, and he told us about the free lockers on the second floor.  Problem solved. 

Some parts of the world are truly going cashless.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Most of Chase’s cards are now chip and pin, some with a fee, others not.  This is recent 

All Chase cards are chip - their Sapphire Preferred card is chip and pin - and comes with a $95 annual fee.   A lot of people see the chip in other cards and make assumptions.

• Like 1

Here's a good listing of some of the most recommended chip-and-pin cards.  

https://wallethub.com/credit-cards/chip-and-pin/

I have two different ones; one with $0 annual fee and one that is associated with my airline of choice and I keep it for the perks it offers, mainly for flying but also as a back-up chip-and-pin card.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:20 PM, mom says said:

Excellent advice from Cruisemom 42. If this is your first trip to Europe I highly recommend  gett8ng and reading the Rick Steves Mediterranean  Cruise guidebook. Besides dealing with the usual ports and their attractions, you'll find a wealth of information about the minutiae of money matters, getting around, how to DIY excursions, etc.

Coming tomorrow -- thanks for the hint.  

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks so much -- I am actually a B of A retiree, but the 9 years since retirement have seen lots and lots of technology changes.  I truly appreciate everyone's help on this question.  And, yes, I do have a Chase card as well.

• Like 1