Carnival Cruise Line Removes Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated Guests and Welcomes All Unvaccinated To Sail

ProgRockCruiser

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

. I know that is an unknown entity in this Country. 

Actually, it's not. I work in the travel industry and have worked with MANY large companies in tourism. The lengths that the majority of these companies have gone to, just to accommodate Covid fears went way above and beyond what they should have done contractually. They still do in many cases.

The reality now is that Covid is a known risk and has been for some time. Period. And enough is enough.

At some point, companies have to stop cowering down to unfounded paranoia and just let people accept the risks of their choices without mandates, requirements or threat of legal action.

Edited by Tink10
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, Tink10 said:

Actually, it's not. I work in the travel industry and have worked with MANY large companies in tourism. The lengths that the majority of these companies have gone to, just to accommodate Covid fears went way above and beyond what they should have done contractually. They still do in many cases.

The reality now is that Covid is a known risk and has been for some time. Period. And enough is enough.

At some point, companies have to stop cowering down to unfounded paranoia and just let people accept the risks of their choices without mandates, requirements or threat of legal action.

The people who have been cruising all along aren't paranoid.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The people who have been cruising all along aren't paranoid.

Not paranoid?  Keep trying to believe that - see the reaction to having to cruise with unvaccinated people.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

I am still VERY confused which is making it difficult to jump into a booking that includes the Bahamas.

These cruise lines ( with the exception of RCL because they can't seem to get it together at all) are lifting vaccines but don't mention the vaccine requirement for the Bahamas.  This is on the Bahamas.com website:  Please note: All cruise ship passengers ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to enter a port in The Bahamas, including a cruise line’s private island. Any person who is ineligible for the COVID-19 vaccination due to medical contraindications is exempt from this requirement. If Carnival can sail to The Bahamas with unvaccinated, why can Royal Caribbean not? 

I was on a cruise ship 7 days before cruising shut down. I was on a ship a month after the re-start. I understand people got the cooties from the cruise ship. I also understand many more people did not. If you want to cruise, come on - let's go. If you want to wear a mask, feel free to join me. If you don't want to wear a mask, that's fine with me. If you feel uncomfortable cruising, don't. If you want to take your chance at cruising, please join us. The cruise lines are not setting these rules just for me or you. They are setting the rules to satisfy as many people as possible, including passengers, government officials in multiple states and/or countries, and especially shareholders. If you think it's all about the money, you are correct. Either they make a profit, or they sell out to the highest bidder. It's that simple. Take any precautions you believe necessary to keep your family safe, but you cannot control those who don't.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Believe me...I am (and have always been) an "anti-masker" because unless worn correctly they don't do much.  And if you take them off to eat, unless you can eat with your mouth closed...please inform the virus not to leave or enter your body during that meal...lol. 

But, the prophylactic approach...vaccines and testing....greatly cuts down the risk of becoming infected.

The bottom line.....$$$$$$$

Not to divert, but if masks didn't do anything, why did medical personnel wear them for decades before Covid? Even basic surgical masks???

OK. Back to your normally scheduled thread.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Not to divert, but if masks didn't do anything, why did medical personnel wear them for decades before Covid? Even basic surgical masks???

OK. Back to your normally scheduled thread.

Surgical masks protect the patients from anything coming  OUT of the surgeon....spit, sweat, germs.  They don't protect "inbound".  Have you ever seen a patient wearing a mask on the operating table?  Would you want your surgeon accidentally drooling into your chest cavity during surgery?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

I am still VERY confused which is making it difficult to jump into a booking that includes the Bahamas.

These cruise lines ( with the exception of RCL because they can't seem to get it together at all) are lifting vaccines but don't mention the vaccine requirement for the Bahamas.  This is on the Bahamas.com website:  Please note: All cruise ship passengers ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to enter a port in The Bahamas, including a cruise line’s private island. Any person who is ineligible for the COVID-19 vaccination due to medical contraindications is exempt from this requirement. If Carnival can sail to The Bahamas with unvaccinated, why can Royal Caribbean not? 

Any of the cruise lines can sail to the Bahamas, Grand Caymen, or Grand Turk but nothing says you're getting off the ship when you're there if you aren't vaccinated. 

I was thrilled to get my email from Carnival with the updated information.  We've been cruising since the restart - fully vaccinated, happily testing and wearing a mask.  During our most-recent cruise in May, we masked less - during embarkation and disembarkation and for shows, but not during dinner and sometimes while walking around or relaxing.  Fewer and fewer were wearing masks - which I also noticed recently in airports and on flights (I masked).  In 30+ days we cruise and I was glad to hear about the "no" testing because it was becoming more-costly.   I have already uploaded my vaccination card onto Verifly, but it only required info on the 1st booster and not the second. 

We have several cruises planned for 2023 and are wondering if the no-test will extend into the new year.    I am sure it will depend on how things go these final months of 2022.

Happy cruising y'all.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 5:44 PM, csm5986142 said:

If I understood correctly, new guidelines are effective for cruises departing on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2022 or later (just missing those of embarking on Labor Day Cruises).  Still great news though.

What is the difference between making the new rules effective immediately on August 12 instead of starting it on Tuesday, September 6?   Except now anybody that embarks over the next 25 days still has to be tested.  If you're going to make a policy change, make it effective immediately.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Great News. Less Stress but Safety First Please! The Virus has not suddenly disappeared to Mars!

According to all of the unvaccinated that are now doing handstands about being able to cruise, they think that if they catch it, it will be as mild as the flu.  Lets hope for their sake it is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gypsywych said:

Any of the cruise lines can sail to the Bahamas, Grand Caymen, or Grand Turk but nothing says you're getting off the ship when you're there if you aren't vaccinated. 

Well it also doesn't say you can't get off the ship in the Bahamas, only in Grand Cayman and Bermuda that I've seen.  NCL and Carnival both don't say you can disembark because I have a cruise booked for January that goes to Great Stirrup Cay and there is no disclaimer, and on the email someone posted in this thread from Carnival it also does not list The Bahamas as one you can't disembark to.  That's why it's confusing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

What is the difference between making the new rules effective immediately on August 12 instead of starting it on Tuesday, September 6?   Except now anybody that embarks over the next 25 days still has to be tested.  If you're going to make a policy change, make it effective immediately.

I thought the same thing.  If you read the "Have Fun. Be Safe" protocols on Carnival's website it's defined differently.  From the Carnival website (I added the yellow).  My PVP confirmed that 5 day cruises after August 4 do not need to test for Covid as long as that cruise doesn't go to Bermuda or Canada.

PROTOCOLS FOR CRUISES DEPARTING THROUGH SEPTEMBER 5, 2022

We will continue to operate vaccinated cruises with our enhanced protocols. All our operations will follow these guidelines so we can maintain the confidence of the destinations we visit and deliver on our itineraries and guest experience. As the COVID-19 situation evolves, we will adjust our protocols based on the advice of our medical and public health advisors.

Below are the measures currently planned for our vaccinated cruises. Guests sailing from Australia, please visit the Australia Have Fun. Be Safe. page for protocols specific to those cruises.

booking-icon.ashx

BOOKING

All guests should carefully review pre-booking and pre-travel health advice on our website.

PRE-BOARDING INFORMATION: In order to manage our vaccinated sailings, it is very important for all guests to complete their pre-cruise vaccine attestation. Guests are asked to update their profile on Carnival.com with their current contact information as we will be communicating through a series of emails. Please read all our correspondence and complete all requests for pre-boarding information on a timely basis.

vaccine.ashx

VACCINATION & TESTING STANDARDS

FULLY VACCINATED GUESTS

VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination.

While the CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible, for the purposes of Carnival's protocols, the definition of “fully vaccinated” does not generally include reference to a booster except when explicitly stated. Boosters may be required for specific voyages based on duration or destination requirements.

The following voyages require guests, age 12 and older, to be fully vaccinated. In addition, all guests, age 18 and older, who are more than 6 months past the last dose of their initial vaccine series must be boosted (if eligible) in order to sail:

• Carnival Pride® and Carnival Celebration Europe - All 2022 departures
  • Carnival Splendor® 23-day Carnival Journey (Transpacific) - September 6, 2022
  • Carnival Spirit® 16-day Carnival Journey (Panama Canal) - September 20, 2022

Guests must present an original vaccination record issued by the country's health authority (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email), and a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable. Copies or photos are not accepted.

• The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest's travel documents.
  • The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day). Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible. When required, booster dose must also be reflected on vaccination records.

We recommend guests have the contact information of the healthcare provider or clinic site that issued the certificate, in order to validate the vaccination record, if needed. A vaccination registry site may also be used.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED 8/05/22)

CRUISES 5 DAYS OR LESS

Except for sailings visiting Bermuda (see below), there will be no pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on cruises with itineraries 5 days or less.

• Due to destination requirements, ALL guests on itineraries that include Bermuda must complete a pre-cruise test, irrespective of the length of the cruise.
  • To comply with destination regulations, guests may take either a PCR or an antigen test within the timelines specified below:
    • A PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday).
    • An antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Thursday).

15 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The bottom line profitability should not be their only concern. Certainly they have to make a grand showing for the major stockholders and the board members. What about the average individual who is working hard every day and still can't save a dollar?, what about the single mom who just needs to get away and loves cruising?, what about the legacy cruisers who are convincing big numbers of their family members each year to take their first cruise?.  

These are the real statistics that measure the value of a company; the one's that go beyond the checkbook or bank account. Those that truly value their current and future customer base.

What in the blue hell are you going on about? Cruise companies are still struggling to make a profit. Costs continue to soar. Yet they should all lower their prices for some victims who are entitled to a cheap cruise. 

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

And you missed my point.  I'm far from cowering in fear with a can of lysol.  I rarely wore masks...even in the early days.   I took mass transit, when to the theatre etc....as soon as I could.  But I kept a distance.

The ONLY reason that covid rates are low and that people aren't dying is because the majority of people did the right thing, and got vaccinated.  I'm not in fear of dying...but I'd prefer to not get covid and not have "whatever the consequences may be".   And the best way to avoid covid is to be in a "as close to possible to a covid free environment".  If unvaxed and untested people are in a close environment, as a ship is.....it won't be a covid free environment.

It's not a good look for you to tell everyone to stop spreading covid, only to realize you have no idea how covid spreads.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bowulf said:

Not paranoid?  Keep trying to believe that - see the reaction to having to cruise with unvaccinated people.  

I agree with Blerk. I am in way paranoid about cruising. I am concerned as to why people are still refusing to comply with the vaccine suggestions? I will continue to be as transparent as I possibly can. I never had a choice as to take the vaccines or not. I had to protect my family members that would be seriously compromised if they were to get the virus. I feel it was the only thing to do. 

I will continue cruising, wearing my mask when and where needed and practice safety at all times. Could we still get the virus while onboard; certainly. However, I know that if I were to catch the virus at least I know I did my part!!!    

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:
Vaccines required for day care, pre-K, and school attendance
  • Diphtheria and Tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine and Pertussis vaccine (DTaP or Tdap)
  • Hepatitis B vaccine.
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine (MMR)
  • Polio vaccine.
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine.

and

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK220954/table/ttt00006/?report=objectonly

Is it a "vaccination" like listed above or a therapeutic, like a flu shot?  Could that be why people get confused about the "efficacy" of the Covid shots and boosters?  I know I was confused when the "vaccine" was introduced.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

According to all of the unvaccinated that are now doing handstands about being able to cruise, they think that if they catch it, it will be as mild as the flu.  Lets hope for their sake it is. 

Through church, I have know numerous unvaccinated people who have tested postive over the last three months or so.  With the exception of one, cases weren't even as bad as the flu (much like a common cold with a few sniffles and little cough.)  One person said they ran fever for a couple of days and felt like they had the flu.

My family (daughter, son in law, grandchildren, myself and my wife) had it earlier this summer.  With the exception of our grandchildren, we are vaccinated (over a year ago with no booster).  All of us had very mild symptoms much like a cold.  Personally, I've had colds that were much worse.  I did the quarantine, but from the second day I was doing all kinds of work around the house (mowing, painting, cleaning, etc...)  My grandchildren weren't tested, but we know they had it because I actually caught it from them.  The had no symptoms other than sniffles.

In looking at all of these and other vaccinated cases there wasn't really any major difference in severity of cases between vaccinated and unvaccinated.  This round was easy to catch, but had very mild symptoms.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

Well it also doesn't say you can't get off the ship in the Bahamas, only in Grand Cayman and Bermuda that I've seen.  NCL and Carnival both don't say you can disembark because I have a cruise booked for January that goes to Great Stirrup Cay and there is no disclaimer, and on the email someone posted in this thread from Carnival it also does not list The Bahamas as one you can't disembark to.  That's why it's confusing.

This is exactly what I was wondering. You don’t have to be vaccinated to get on the ship, but what about getting off the ship in ports?? I assume Carnival can’t force countries to allow people off, should be interesting to see how that plays out. 

Grand Turk is included in many of the Bahamas itineraries, problematic for unvaccinated who currently wouldn't be unable to get off the ship there.

• Except where specified below, all guests are permitted to go ashore to enjoy one of our tours or independent sightseeing, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Certain destinations have imposed restrictions for unvaccinated guests, and we cannot guarantee that more will not be added.
    • Bermuda, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, St. Kitts and Tortola – age 12 and older will have to remain on board
    • Cartagena (Colombia) and Grand Turk – age 18 and older will have to remain on board
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:40 AM, bdever said:

I’m relieved that my cruise on Panorama on 9/3/22 Labor Day week missed the cut off by 3 days! I feel a lot safer. Plus, I live in West Los Angeles where there is literally a plethora of free testing options. I love testing with CVS which allows me to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance through the website.

Wife and I are on this same cruise. Part of me agrees with bdever in the hopes that this keeps some obvious and not so obvious sick people off the cruise. On the other hand, I am bummed we still have worry about ourselves testing positive (false or not) and not being able to cruise. Obviously I don't want to be positive and potentially infect others but if I'm asymptomatic or no longer contagious, I would really hate to have to miss this cruise.

Edited by DnD CruiserZ
  • Like 1