Drive or Walk at Ft. Lauderdale Hotel?

peanut head

Hello All!  I need your help.  I reserved a room at the Ft. Lauderdale Marriott Renaissance Marina Hotel on 17th St.  Are restaurants/shops/sites truly within walking distance of the hotel or will I need to rent a car?  I don't want to be walking along, or crossing, highways/freeways to find a restaurant and maps aren't always very accurate.  I will be spending 2 full days at the hotel before my Equinox sailing.  I did try to contact the hotel but they are not answering the phone and the next best thing is getting the info here.  Tia!  

53 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Hello All!  I need your help.  I reserved a room at the Ft. Lauderdale Marriott Renaissance Marina Hotel on 17th St.  Are restaurants/shops/sites truly within walking distance of the hotel or will I need to rent a car?  I don't want to be walking along, or crossing, highways/freeways to find a restaurant and maps aren't always very accurate.  I will be spending 2 full days at the hotel before my Equinox sailing.  I did try to contact the hotel but they are not answering the phone and the next best thing is getting the info here.  Tia!  

If worst comes to worse there is always Uber or Lyft.

I have stayed at that hotel a couple of times. There are many shops and restaurants within walking distance. Don't even have to cross 17th. You don't need to rent a car. There is also a water taxi stop in walking distance. Since you are staying 2 days you might want to take the water taxi to Las Olas. 

• Like 2

Have a look at Google maps satellite view. Plenty of shops and restaurants, and there are traffic lights at reasonable intervals to cross the street. If you are loaded down with purchases, or have difficulty walking any distance, just take a Lyft or Uber.

A big thank you to all of you!  I will check out the Florida Departures Board (hmmm, why didn't I think of that before wasting your time?🙃)  We enjoy walking and kind of bummed out about the response, or lack thereof, from the hotel.

2 hours ago, peanut head said:

100% walkable. There is tons of stuff there within a 1/2 mile. I suggest getting a burger at Gilbert's 17th Street Grill. We normally stay at the Embassy Suites just up the road and have never needed a car.

4 hours ago, mom says said:

Have a look at Google maps satellite view. Plenty of shops and restaurants, and there are traffic lights at reasonable intervals to cross the street. If you are loaded down with purchases, or have difficulty walking any distance, just take a Lyft or Uber.

This. Google Maps is so beneficial...just takes a little research.

3 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

100% walkable. There is tons of stuff there within a 1/2 mile. I suggest getting a burger at Gilbert's 17th Street Grill. We normally stay at the Embassy Suites just up the road and have never needed a car.

Agree...But we prefer the Hyatt Place (we used to stay at ES but not anymore) and Duffy's. Great location right next door as you know to the Harbor Shopping center...love Publix Market.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Agree...But we prefer the Hyatt Place (we used to stay at ES but not anymore) and Duffy's. Great location right next door as you know to the Harbor Shopping center...love Publix Market.

Once I lose my Diamond status with Hilton, I may branch out to other establishments on 17th. I have always liked Hyatt Place rooms as well.

• Like 2

I typically stay right on 17th for ease of walking to all restaurants. It's my favorite area to stay in FLL. Best thing is there is a water taxi stop right under the bridge. You can buy an all day hop on hop off pass. Use it just like a HOHO stop. It goes all the way down to Hollywood. IMO: It's a great way to spend the day.

Red circles are your hotel and water taxi stop. All the fork and knife icons are restaurants. There is no reason to ever take an uber/lyft from here. I even walked to the port, but I pack light ;-).

image.thumb.png.17b4d779e39d05b42d75f78ed66cdd76.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, RichYak said:

I stayed there. You are across the parking lot from Boatyard restaurant. Kelly's landing seafood restaurant is down the block. Walgreen's is across the street. All easily walkable.

I agree with Rich.  Quite a few places to walk to. I really enjoyed Kelly’s Landing. Depending how far you’re willing to walk I like Waxey’s Irish Pub (it’s cross the street from Embassy Suites). Duffys is in the harbor shops area. Some good places to eat at the harbor shops.  For DH and I we don’t mind the walk