Straws

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Can't you just drink out of the glass. Can't believe we have a question on this board about straws? Use what they give you, if it doesn't work drink out of the glass. Problem solved.

I always use a straw for mojitos.  I don't want to drink muddled mint leaves all night😁

Anthem had the good biodegradable stores, so much better than paper straws.  Hopefully Oasis will have the good ones next week.  If not, I have a zip lock baggie with our own biodegradable straws, just incase.

Edited by Sunshine3601

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

I always use a straw for mojitos.  I don't want to drink muddled mint leaves all night😁

Anthem had the good biodegradable stores, so much better than paper straws.  Hopefully Oasis will have the good ones next week.

DW picked some up at the dollar store today. So we’re golden for next week. 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't Royal and other cruise lines recycle just about everything, to include plastics?  If so, why would plastic straws on a Royal ship be an issue?

I believe I read a few years back, on the newer more modern ships the only thing that gets discharged into the ocean is the non-eatable food.

22 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Same for me on the Ovation cruise directly following.

Guess I’ll have to bring some for our October cruise. Ugh!

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Doesn't Royal and other cruise lines recycle just about everything, to include plastics?  If so, why would plastic straws on a Royal ship be an issue?

I believe I read a few years back, on the newer more modern ships the only thing that gets discharged into the ocean is the non-eatable food.

Straws can easily blow off the ships into the water which can injure wildlife if they’re plastic.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Guess I’ll have to bring some for our October cruise. Ugh!

Straws can easily blow off the ships into the water which can injure wildlife if they’re plastic.

Windmills kill birds, ship's propellers kill sea life.  

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Royal made a commitment to significantly reduce plastics onboard.

Water bottles seem to be the last holdout

I think the cruise industry, as a whole, has come a long way as comparison to what they were guilty of just a couple/few decades ago.  And I'm all for it.  However, I don't think that a straw or two a week blowing off the deck of a ship is going to have a significant effect on the ecosystem or wild life.  We have far too many other things that we do that are doing more harm but are touted as good for the ecosystem/ecology/whatever.  I've taken a tour of Carnival's trash/recycling systems onboard.  It was impressive and I believe the workers there really had a good and positive attitude towards their work.  I'm sure Royal's systems, especially on the Quantum and Oasis class ships are even better than that older Carnival ships.  

BTW, I'm all for plastic bottles on a cruise ship.  They are just so much more versatile than the cans.  Unless they go to the aluminum screw on/off top cans like beer bottles.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

I agree about straws not being a big deal and I doubt they are flying off the deck and into the water in any big numbers.  I know that straws can be very harmful to wildlife, but it's not cruise ships that are the problem.  It's idiots who won't put their trash in bins, but instead just throw it out on the side of the road.  That trash is washed into waterways and ends up in lake and oceans.  As usual, we are all being penalized because of these stupid people. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

I agree about straws not being a big deal and I doubt they are flying off the deck and into the water in any big numbers.  I know that straws can be very harmful to wildlife, but it's not cruise ships that are the problem.  It's idiots who won't put their trash in bins, but instead just throw it out on the side of the road.  That trash is washed into waterways and ends up in lake and oceans.  As usual, we are all being penalized because of these stupid people. 

💯% agree.  Although I'm all for Capitalism and innovation, I don't think this issue requires reinventing the wheel, it requires stiffer penalties and much more education.  And it wouldn't hurt to have many more trash receptacles strategically placed around parking lots and other high traffic areas.  I've noticed that the Fast Food Joints with Drive Thru's don't have trash cans out anymore.  At least not in the parking lots.  Make throwing one's trash away much more convenient. AND, require employees empty them often.

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

💯% agree.  Although I'm all for Capitalism and innovation, I don't think this issue requires reinventing the wheel, it requires stiffer penalties and much more education.  And it wouldn't hurt to have many more trash receptacles strategically placed around parking lots and other high traffic areas.  I've noticed that the Fast Food Joints with Drive Thru's don't have trash cans out anymore.  At least not in the parking lots.  Make throwing one's trash away much more convenient. AND, require employees empty them often.

I believe many drive-thru places removed the trash cans because they were being used by non-customers, or customers were using them to clean out their cars.  Ironically, they will removed these cans to save money, but then they spend big money to be "green" or create "save the wildlife" campaigns.  🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

Until the issue of the big plastic polluting countries is solved removing straws from ships is just window dressing. 

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" -  Lao Tzu

I ran some errands and lunch and was sitting stopped at a traffic light at the end of the freeway ramp.  Looking on the sides of the road, there was more trash than you could put in the back of a pickup truck bed.  And this was not a dirty inner-city area - this is a fairly affluent suburban area.  I know that sometimes a piece of trash accidentally finds its way out of a carm but this was cups and bags and all sort of garbage.  It's just disgusting that people won't put their trash in bins.

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I ran some errands and lunch and was sitting stopped at a traffic light at the end of the freeway ramp.  Looking on the sides of the road, there was more trash than you could put in the back of a pickup trucked.  And this was not a dirty inner-city area - this is a fairly affluent suburban area.  I know that sometimes a piece of trash accidentally finds its way out of a car but this was cups and bags and all sort of garbage.  It's just disgusting that people won't put their trash in bins.

I hear ya. I'm on a month and a half trip to visit with my daughters, one in Senoia, GA (home of the Walking Dead) and the other in Danville, IN.  We live in Oxford, AL.  I'm happy to say that all three communities don't have much of trash problem.  There is a problem, but it isn't overwhelming.   

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I hear ya. I'm on a month and a half trip to visit with my daughters, one in Senoia, GA (home of the Walking Dead) and the other in Danville, IN.  We live in Oxford, AL.  I'm happy to say that all three communities don't have much of trash problem.  There is a problem, but it isn't overwhelming.   

Since you are from nearby, you'll probably know where I was - I-65 at Valleydale in Hoover, at Riverchase/Southlake.  There's a metal crash barrier between the entrance/exit ramps and it was just packed full of trash all around and under it.  I live in a fairly nice development and the other day, someone had tossed out a fast food bag onto a grassy area at the entrance.  It's just unfathomable to me that someone in my neighborhood would do that as we pay dearly for the HOA to keep everything looking nice, so why trash it up with garbage like that? <SMH>

• Like 1

14 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Plastic straws might not be the problem. A river of plastic could do some damage.

image.png.d699079e66ba45bf5d8f17c800f8ff0d.png

image.thumb.png.51c695411be2aa3db435c401b2d24c39.png

That doesn't look good!  Someone should start a profitable recycling business.  

On 8/25/2022 at 5:44 PM, John&amp;LaLa said:

Royal made a commitment to significantly reduce plastics onboard.

Water bottles seem to be the last holdout

No plastic water bottles on brilliance last week was just cans of water. Straws were 100% plastic type biodegradable. 

• Thanks 1