How's the ride in the Haven?

RCCL Fan

Longtime cruiser of a rival line here, thinking about trying NCL.  Have 3 questions  for you guys.

1) 

We're usually suite people, but one thing that concerns me on NCL is the Haven is in the very front on the ship.

My experience is the front of the ship has the most motion... I'm used to suites being in the middle.

What's the ride like up there?   Is it rocky in rough seas?   I'm wondering if I should save my cash and pick something else.

I'd love your thoughts... 

2)

While on that topic....  which rooms are larger than a regular balcony but not a haven suite?   Is that the spa suite? or club suite?

3)

Last, is it possible to get "unbundled" pricing with NCL?   I'm really picky about my airline and seat choice and would rather book that myself,  same with shore excursions.   It is possible it get a cruise only fare, without all the "pick 4 for free" options?  

Sailed the Haven in March - felt no movement at all.  

We have sailed in rough seas before ... and this was nothing.  Super smooth.

I imagine it's one of those things though like where are you sailing and what time of year.  Leaving Long Beach/San Pedro, there's a spot that always gets a little bumpy about 2 hours later - didn't even notice that this time.

I've always found it a bit curious that cruise lines seem to put their most expensive cabins in the poorest locations.  The suites are frequently just below the pool deck and the haven is way up top and forward, as you said.  We have always been picky about a quiet location and we are prone to motion sickness.  Were once upgraded (last minute surprise) to one of Celebrity's better suites and found the noise from the pool deck very annoying.  Would have definitely preferred the cabin we picked in spite of the added perks.  I don't like spas and who could possibly need afternoon appetizers with the insane amount of food on a cruise ship? 

• Like 1

pick a date and a ship. when it gives you the categories, click haven. it will show you the choices of haven cabins, they range from forward facing penthouse with large balcony, to aft facing penthouse with large balcony and choices in between. we usually like the 2 bedroom suites , and some are located mid-ship. in the past, ive had a forward facing penthouse , and had no problems whatsoever.

club suites are slightly larger that balcony suites, but only by about 50 square feet or so. the advantage to a club balcony, is that some have walk in/stand up stall showers rather than tub-shower.

some of the ncl fleets have both haven suites and suites. the rooms are identical is size, the perks are almost the same, but if the haven have a pool area, and you book a non-haven suite, you do noy have access to the pool. while the suite cabins are almost identical, it begs the question is the perk of the private pool and sundeck, worth the extra money. we're booked on the jewel next january, haven 2 bedroom for 2 people is slightly over 10,000. 2 bedroom suite (non haven) for 2 is 8500.

finally, the freebies,  arent all free, especially the airfare. we always book our own airfare and hotels. the2 person flying free is merely an option if you want to pay the extra $$$.

while you will get $50 off of shore excursions booked through ncl, there is absolutely no obligation to book them.  many times, i have taken the papers describing the excursions at any given port, gotten off the ship and negotiated with a cabbie. there are also tour companies where you can prearrange a tour. sometimes they have booths just outside the pier.

cruise critic rules  and regulations preclude me from mentioning any names, so my final piece of advice, is log on to ncl, the page will ask you for departure points, number of days you wish to sail, dates you wish to sail etc. just check the boxes,  and click find a cruise. you will be sent to a page, and all you have to do then is scroll down for the cruise you are interested in.

by the way,it's much simpler (imho) than trying to book on royal carribbean by far

good luck, happy cruising. you can never go wrong booking a haven!

7 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm looking at the Joy & Encore

We sailed on the Encore in the very most forward starboard two bedroom Haven Suite in 2019.

We have also sailed on RCCL's  Liberty of the Seas mid ship owner's suite. The RCCL Suite had

the smoothest ride.Itinerary is important. We went to Bermuda on RCCL out of Bayonne and to

the Caribbean on the Encore. Our Encore cabin had a lot of vibration for some reason.

7 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm looking at the Joy & Encore

Both Joy and Encore have some Haven suites that are located outside of the Haven complex. These suites are lower and further back but in many cases, they are larger and less expensive than what is in the complex. The HJ category on Joy is located mid-ship and can sleep up to 4 people. There are also aft-facing suites which have a larger balcony than what is found in nearly every other Haven category. Encore has fewer options but most choices are the same as Joy's. 

The "outside of the Haven" suites have advantages and disadvantages so it's really up to you to decide which is the better option. Personally, my family of 4 prefers the aft-facing suites and would take the right one of those (there are differences) over the 2 BR suite located within the complex. Motion doesn't bother me as I have stayed in suites all the way forward as well as suites all the way aft. Walking to the Haven is a non-issue for me. For some people, the Haven experience is diminished if staying outside of the complex but it depends on the individual. 

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

These suites are lower and further back but in many cases, they are larger and less expensive than what is in the complex.

I'd agree the forward facing penthouses are the best haven deal. They are large 1 bedroom suites for the price of the smallest cabin in the courtyard which is like 1.5x the size of a standard balcony cabin. Aft facing is a great deal too though usually marginally more expensive than fwd facing.

IMO, those HJ cabins on Joy are more like jr. suites on RCCL. You do get full haven benefits unlike RCCL though. I haven't personally sailed in an HJ suite but I don't think the cost differential has ever justified the smaller size for me. 

Edited by dandelpino

14 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Which ship will make a difference.  The upcoming Prima has an aft Haven.

Seriously? 

So instead of being in one of the worst locations in the ship for a rough ride,- high and forward, the Prima Have is in the equally bad location of high and aft.

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Seriously? 

So instead of being in one of the worst locations in the ship for a rough ride,- high and forward, the Prima Have is in the equally bad location of high and aft.

I love the Aft and find it smoother than forward cabins.  

So, would you rather have Haven be mid-ship and low deck for smoothest sailing?   

I should note that I love sailing when I can feel the movement of the sea.😎

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I love the Aft and find it smoother than forward cabins.  

So, would you rather have Haven be mid-ship and low deck for smoothest sailing?   

I should note that I love sailing when I can feel the movement of the sea.😎

Same! I'm hoping I feel the rocking of the ocean in a week...headed to Bermuda and the Bahamas. I'm slightly looking forward to a tropical storm (not that one's on the horizon). I think it would be wicked to cruise through one. If I ever do, maybe I'll come out the other side saying never again. 

I was on deck 17 Haven on Encore and yes you feel all the motion of the ship.  On rough nights you will feel every bump.   Its just the nature of not only being forward but up so high on 17 and 18.  I love on Prima and new ships the Haven is now aft.  It would not prevent me from booking again but like any ship, the higher and more forward you are the more you feel the water.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

N.B.: the non-haven suites on the joy do not have the same amenities as non haven suites throughout much of the rest of the fleet. there are a variety of reasons for this, but if suite perks such as a private restaurant for breakfast and lunch and free room service delivery is important to you, the joy may not be the ship for you. the non-haven suites on the joy do include free PPV movies and priority boarding (compliance varies by port) and a token nod to concierge services, but it's nothing like being in the haven.

So I am listening to people say that why is the Haven at the top of the ship? Well pretty hard to have a private sundeck inside the Haven complex when it would be middle deck mid ship. Also, since haven is a key card access area, you want to limit as much traffic in that area as possible, so putting it on the highest passenger deck either forward or aft makes sense. 

I will also say the forward facing penthouse (outside Haven complex) is by far the best value. I have sailed in it and the room is awesome, master bedroom is bigger then the 2 bedroom suite, bathroom is large as well with separate shower and soaking tub. Also window in bedroom is nice also. Only down side is balcony is very small. I have been in forward facing and 2 bedroom havens, next month I am in a courtyard penthouse and I will absolutely miss the separate bedroom

forgot to mention havens we’re on getaway and breakaway 

Edited by wolft927

20 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Last, is it possible to get "unbundled" pricing with NCL?   I'm really picky about my airline and seat choice and would rather book that myself,  same with shore excursions.   It is possible it get a cruise only fare, without all the "pick 4 for free" options?  

I have sailed with NCL many times and have only ever got flights through them once (when we booked very close to sail date). The default booking doesn't include airfare, you have to add it (at least that's the case in the UK).

As for excursions, that is not the reason to get the "pick 4" deal. The value in that package is the beverage package. Decide whether you want to take that deal based on drinks, and the rest will fall into place. If you don't drink then the deal isn't worth it regardless of how many excursions you plan, as you only actually get $50 per excursion discount anyway.

Again, I don't know the exact details of how this works in the US, but I think that you probably get the excursion and internet credit even if you decline the beverage and dining packages (which are the ones that come with a charge). With non suites you can book a sail away rate that doesn't offer the free at sea deals, but I suspect you can't do that with a Suite.

My best recommendation is to go to the website and have a play with some test bookings. That way you can see what the various options are and how your choices affect the cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Seriously? 

Having sailed both forward and aft, I would say that the difference in movement between the two is massive. I have sailed in aft rooms many times and never felt any movement at all. Forward, on less occasions, much more movement.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 3

We had the DOS on the Gem out of NY and we did feel a little rocking at night, my husband took sea sick pills and was happy. I love being rocked to sleep. I love aft cabins but with the Haven category it is a hike to the actual Haven  but much more quiet. Not sure if these cabins are offered on the Joy. Avoid all suites on the Joy if you want a dedicated dinning venue for breakfast and lunch.

Enjoy your Haven experience.

Totally agree that even extreme aft cabins have never bothered us while I've had to leave locations up near the bow (theater, etc.) several times because I was becoming seasick.  Huge difference between the bow and the aft in practice despite the "fulcrum" model.  We won't even consider any cabin that is forward of the middle of the ship.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:37 PM, RCCL Fan said:

1) We're usually suite people, but one thing that concerns me on NCL is the Haven is in the very front on the ship.

2) While on that topic....  which rooms are larger than a regular balcony but not a haven suite?   Is that the spa suite? or club suite?

3) Last, is it possible to get "unbundled" pricing with NCL?   I'm really picky about my airline and seat choice and would rather book that myself,  same with shore excursions.   It is possible it get a cruise only fare, without all the "pick 4 for free" options?  

1) The newest NCL ships Prima & Viva coming out next year have moved the Haven to the aft of the ship. Having said that... there are Haven rooms in more than one area of the ship on the Joy & Encore you mentioned. The Haven area is in the front, but they sell Haven rooms aft too. You'll get the access to the Haven area, you just have to walk all the way forward to use it. We had an aft room on Encore last year and the room was huge, balcony was amazing, but for us it was too far of a walk to the other Haven amenities that it wasn't the right room for us.

We're sailing on the Joy in about 11 days, and we're in a mid-ship Haven room this time. Again, not part of the courtyard area where the private pool, lounge, bar, etc is - but right near the elevator that will take us up 2 floors to get to it, instead of the walk all the way aft to front as we had on Encore. The rooms on Joy outside of the courtyard are also bigger and cheaper, so that's a plus.

2) Spa suite just means you get free access to the spa - no difference in the room itself. Club balcony suite is like a junior suite with RCC - it's a mini suite with no real perks and not much bigger size than a regular balcony. You get a few perks (free bag of laundry, some snacks in the room once or twice during the trip), but it's not a suite at all. 

There are some non-Haven suites on Joy - on deck 14 it's the green ones. They're bigger than a regular balcony (~340 vs ~180 sqft) with a slightly bigger balcony, but have no perks really. You just get a bigger room. The gray ones are those Haven rooms I mentioned that are outside of the Haven area - those come with full Haven access and all perks. Encore doesn't have non-Haven suites, the best you can do there is the club balcony which is slightly bigger than a balcony (but no where close as big as these non-Haven suites on Joy).

image.png.527365f5f7725e1a1112313406cd3f45.png

3) You can choose to add as many or as few of the perks as you like. If you drink at all - choose the free at sea drink package. You pay the equivalent of $20/day/person for the 'free' package, but it's still much much cheaper than buying the package outright without the free at sea perk. There's no charge or fee for including the excursion credit, it's literally just a free $50 at each port to use if you want. Sometimes they have simple transfers into the city center so having that extra $50 to offset that cost is nice, even if you don't take a full day NCL tour.

Flights don't get added on unless you want them - you have to indicate the airport you want and even then, you can call them to cancel the automatic transfers that are added. But if you don't want the free air, just don't add it on. We've always found cheaper flights with NCL than on our own, like significantly cheaper, but to each their own.

If you want bare bones nothing at all - you would have to pick the 'sailaway rate' but that's not offered for suites or Haven rooms.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dandelpino said:

IMO, those HJ cabins on Joy are more like jr. suites on RCCL. You do get full haven benefits unlike RCCL though. I haven't personally sailed in an HJ suite but I don't think the cost differential has ever justified the smaller size for me. 

We'll be in an HH on the Joy in about 11 days. The HH, HI, and HJ (all outside the courtyard, but mid-ship area) are all significantly larger than the courtyard rooms, and when we booked were about 3K cheaper than them as well.

Bigger room, less money, and even though not in the courtyard proper I'm not all the way aft... it was a win-win for us. So definitely not a junior suite, more of an upgrade to us.

Courtyard room = 280 + 43 balcony

HH Family Villa = 417 + 84 balcony

HI Penthouse = 352 + 84 balcony

HJ Suite = 320 + 61 balcony

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Same! I'm hoping I feel the rocking of the ocean in a week...headed to Bermuda and the Bahamas. I'm slightly looking forward to a tropical storm (not that one's on the horizon). I think it would be wicked to cruise through one. If I ever do, maybe I'll come out the other side saying never again. 

Ignorance is bliss (not the ship) as you would not be looking forward to a tropical storm or tropical wave or northeaster or strong low pressure system if you have ever sailed through one.