The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 28th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Race Your Mouse Around the Icons Day, Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day, and Red Wine Day

In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.--Jane Austen, Pride And Prejudice

Meal Suggestion for today - Fattoush
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Hot Apple Cider
Wine of the Day - Château Peyros 2017 Vieilles Vignes (Madiran)
Destination of the Day - Baie-Comeau, Quebec, Canada

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/29

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Statendam

Portland ME, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 20:00

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0828World.thumb.png.59b92129efd08a1c09942ea284d5b7b5.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Looks like some lovely destinations for all the ships.

Neither of us like Red wine.

Nice quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We are relaxing in the garden where it is sunny and 66°F.

All of these Elderberry trees are full of berries overlooking where we are sitting.

I hope everyone is safe and well and enjoying today.

Prayers for everyone who need them and happy sailing for those currently cruising.

Graham.

IMG_20220828_103448.jpg

• Like 31

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I'll pass on the Red Wine and the Icons but celebrate the Rainbow Bridge.  I love the quote but have not been to Baie Comeau.  No idea what the meal suggestion is.

Today’s care list:

Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Sandi’s neighbors David (RIP) and Linda in critical condition
jodi68 with painful wasp sting
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
kochleffel dental emergency while preparing for cruise
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Curacao and Hawaii Little League teams
Father David on vacation
irishjim good surgery report
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
cat shepard in  Alaska 8/27  Nieuw Amsterdam 9/4 to 9/11
Cruisin Terri early appointment with hand surgeon
2 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/29 to 9/5)
Bon Voyage  Kochleffel (Voyager OTS 8/28 to 9/3) and Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Welcome home Mtn2sea and kplady
Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31), luvteaching (Crown Princess to 9/3, Eurodam to 9/10) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone. I won’t be racing my mouse today, too much else to do. Today we fondly remember our pets who have crossed rainbow bridge.  Perfect day to celebrate red wine.  Nice quote today.  I’ll wait for the recipe before deciding on the meal but the drink sounds tasty, apple cider is right around the corner.  Haven’t been to today’s port; I’m sure it’s lovely. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday report, Rich.  I'll pass on the Red Wine and the Icons but celebrate the Rainbow Bridge.  I love the quote but have not been to Baie Comeau.  No idea what the meal suggestion is.

Today’s care list:

Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Sandi’s neighbors David (RIP) and Linda in critical condition
jodi68 with painful wasp sting
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
kochleffel dental emergency while preparing for cruise
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Curacao and Hawaii Little League teams
Father David on vacation
irishjim good surgery report
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
cat shepard in  Alaska 8/27  Nieuw Amsterdam 9/4 to 9/11
Cruisin Terri early appointment with hand surgeon
2 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/29 to 9/5)
Bon Voyage  Kochleffel (Voyager OTS 8/28 to 9/3) and Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Welcome home Mtn2sea and kplady
Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31), luvteaching (Crown Princess to 9/3, Eurodam to 9/10) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for mentioning Father David who is on holiday visiting Scotland.

Graham.

• Like 15

Makers Mark Hot Apple Cider cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
Apple Cider, Hot
1 dash Allspice
Garnish: Cinnamon Stick,
Lemon Wheel

Instructions
Add Maker's Mark® Bourbon to a footed mug. Fill mug with hot apple cider and the dash of allspice. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and lemon wheel.

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 7.15.34 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning!  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool start to the day, but it should be hot and sunny by this afternoon.

I miss all our pets who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  I like red wine.  

I love the quote and the book.

Not sure about the meal suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe.  I'll pass on the drink but hope the wine is good.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good Sunday morning to all

Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Report to Rich.

I don’t have time to race my mouse around the icons today.  I usually use an Ipad so no mouse anyway.  I will remember the pets of those here who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge, although I have none of my own, and last but not least, a nice bottle of Chianti will do just fine.

I like the quote.

Have not been to the destination.

Thank you to Roy for the lists.  Prayers to those who are on the Cares list and Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

We are having an early breakfast and then getting our belongings together to head out of town to Jacksonville.  Will return tomorrow.  Will be having a consultation with the hand surgeon at 11 am tomorrow.

Thank you all again for your prayers and concern as I worked through my “situation” over the last few days.  It was resolved last night.  No one was hurt and I think it worked out well.  It was better to leave some things unsaid on my part.  I just let it go. Time to move on.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday!

I am having joint pain which I never had before.  When I first get up in the morning and later on getting out of a chair there is pain and stiffness, but then I can move normally without pain.  So I don’t know what to do?  Is this just normal aging?  Other than that all is well!  Last night we have dinner at a friend’s and this morning we will walk about a mile to our church.  

• Like 22

Good morning friends!  It's once again a foggy, humid morning with condensate on the windows.  99% humidity again!  However, yesterday turned out to be very nice with NO rain so I'm hoping for a repeat of that.  Hope Father David is enjoying his vacation in Scotland.  Terri @Cruzin Terriplease have a safe drive to Jacksonville.  I hope the hand doctor can help you tomorrow.  I'm glad all worked out with your friend.  I had a problem with a relative once who expected way too much of me and said hurtful things to me.  It caused a rift for many years.  Finally, after the funeral of a close family member I decided to end it by speaking to them and putting the past behind us.  It did work out well as that person was too stubborn to take the first step.  Things are just fine now. 🙂  Annie, @marshhawkI'm sorry to hear of your friend Jesse's cancer diagnosis.  I'm glad to hear they will do surgery within the next week and hopefully get it all.  Prayers for him and all on our Care list today.  Also to our friends in Ukraine.  I hope Jacqui's @kazu's knee is better and wrist is healed up.  Speaking of knees, for once I didn't have bad pain overnight in my knee.  Maybe my three days of exercise have helped it.  I'll continue this week and hope for the best.  It is just mild discomfort now.   Graham @grapau27nice photo of your brick walls and elderberry trees.  Do the berries attract a lot of birds to your yard? 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report!  I can't imagine what the race the mouse around the icons day is all about, but appreciate the celebration of those pets who crossed the rainbow bridge.  I'll remind DD so she can remember her very special pet, Gracie who passed in April.  I know red wine day will be celebrated by many, including my DH.  Not for me though.  I have no idea what the menu suggestion is so will have to wait to consider that.  And I have not been to the port of Baie-Comeau, Quebect, Canada.  It sounds lovely though!  Hopeful for photos today.  This is the first time for that particular port on the Daily.

Roy, thanks again for keeping our lists straight.  Like I said before, prayers for all on the list, and I'm keeping neighbor Linda at the top for now.  Congrats to all on the Celebration list.  Have a wonderful time if cruising, and enjoy any other happy events in your lives.

Hoping for a peaceful, not too busy Sunday for myself.  Have a great day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's once again a foggy, humid morning with condensate on the windows.  99% humidity again!  However, yesterday turned out to be very nice with NO rain so I'm hoping for a repeat of that.  Hope Father David is enjoying his vacation in Scotland.  Terri @Cruzin Terriplease have a safe drive to Jacksonville.  I hope the hand doctor can help you tomorrow.  I'm glad all worked out with your friend.  I had a problem with a relative once who expected way too much of me and said hurtful things to me.  It caused a rift for many years.  Finally, after the funeral of a close family member I decided to end it by speaking to them and putting the past behind us.  It did work out well as that person was too stubborn to take the first step.  Things are just fine now. 🙂  Annie, @marshhawkI'm sorry to hear of your friend Jesse's cancer diagnosis.  I'm glad to hear they will do surgery within the next week and hopefully get it all.  Prayers for him and all on our Care list today.  Also to our friends in Ukraine.  I hope Jacqui's @kazu's knee is better and wrist is healed up.  Speaking of knees, for once I didn't have bad pain overnight in my knee.  Maybe my three days of exercise have helped it.  I'll continue this week and hope for the best.  It is just mild discomfort now.   Graham @grapau27nice photo of your brick walls and elderberry trees.  Do the berries attract a lot of birds to your yard? 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report!  I can't imagine what the race the mouse around the icons day is all about, but appreciate the celebration of those pets who crossed the rainbow bridge.  I'll remind DD so she can remember her very special pet, Gracie who passed in April.  I know red wine day will be celebrated by many, including my DH.  Not for me though.  I have no idea what the menu suggestion is so will have to wait to consider that.  And I have not been to the port of Baie-Comeau, Quebect, Canada.  It sounds lovely though!  Hopeful for photos today.  This is the first time for that particular port on the Daily.

Roy, thanks again for keeping our lists straight.  Like I said before, prayers for all on the list, and I'm keeping neighbor Linda at the top for now.  Congrats to all on the Celebration list.  Have a wonderful time if cruising, and enjoy any other happy events in your lives.

Thank you Sandi.

We get 

Blackbirds.

Thrushes.

Greenfinches.

Goldfinches.

Sparrows.

Wrens.

Blue and Great Tits.

Magpies.

Wood pigeons.

Woodpeckers.

regularly in our gardens.

We have just had a lovely salad in our Summer house.

166168874752637152721751568225.jpg

IMG_20220828_123455.jpg

• Like 28

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Screenshot_20220828_132020.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good Morning Dailyites!  It's a Formula 1 weekend.  We had dinner with our friend Debbie last night, and rushed home to catch up on all of the F1 racing that we had missed yesterday because of work.  Ahh the life of a couch potato.

@Cat in my lap The longer I stay in one place, the more it hurts to leave it.  I cannot sleep straight through the night.  The bed is comfy when I get in, but after about two hours, I wake up (probably because of flying cats) but when I do, I have to move.  My Dad would go to bed, wake up after two hours, go sleep in his recliner for two hours, and then go back to bed, and then go back to the recliner.  He said the pains were due to aging.  Sad, I think I have reached that point too.

We have no race day donuts, because we both started work early on Friday morning.  I just checked my schedule for this week, 44 hours of work.  All starting at noon our time.  Start with the west coast calling, and then in the evening, the east coast calling.  I need to use my morning time to my advantage.  DH is going to be the cook, and I keep telling to choose things that dont need anything added to them, just meat and veggie.  Other wise he always asks me for advice, and I will be working.  He knows how to follow recipes better than I do, I cook through memory and creativity, and try to use little extras, veggies, spices, etc.  So after the race, we need to hunt and eat something, create a grocery list, go pay some bills,  and come home and get the house straightened out, oh, and buy DH some slacks for dining in the MDR.  Two weeks of work, and then we are on our cruise.

Our boarding time is 12:30, and we got all the paperwork and boarding passes printed last night.

I noticed that we were supposed to do something through VeriFly, but if we get to the port, and all we have is our passports and vaccine history card, will we be OK?

Have a great Sunday!

4ec1d428a5b56d72608678c49b34927d.jpg

• Like 24

43 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Happy Sunday!

I am having joint pain which I never had before.  When I first get up in the morning and later on getting out of a chair there is pain and stiffness, but then I can move normally without pain.  So I don’t know what to do?  Is this just normal aging?  Other than that all is well!  Last night we have dinner at a friend’s and this morning we will walk about a mile to our church.  

It sounds like mild Arthritis.

Anti inflammatory tablets(If you can take them) work wonders for arthritis pain.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!!

It is another nice start to the day here in northeast Ohio.  It is going to be a scorcher, though.  Temps in the low 90s are forecast.  I am packing up Grandma's Belleek china and Mom's Waterford crystal in preparation for painting the living room.  One more box and I'll be ready to unload the room and tape all that needs taping.  Then, on with the paint!!

Today's meal is a nice one and would be excellent for a hot day like today.  Fattoush is a Levantine salad made from toasted or fried pieces of khubz (Arabic flat bread) combined with mixed greens and other vegetables, such as radishes and tomatoes.   

Fattoush belongs to the family of dishes known as fattat (plural of fatteh), which use stale flatbread as a base. Fattoush includes vegetables and herbs varying by season and taste. The vegetables are cut into relatively large pieces compared to tabbouleh which requires ingredients to be finely chopped. Sumac is usually used to give fattoush its sour taste, while some recipes also add pomegranate molasses along with the sumac.

We'll start out with this recipe.  Most of them are very similar and only vary in a vegetable or two or in the dressing.  This one has a lime vinaigrette which sounds lovely.  I'm not sure where to get the sumac though.   https://www.themediterraneandish.com/fattoush-salad/

1282168834_fattoush1.thumb.jpg.257809ad179cef29fc32c20a61f93b87.jpg

Oh, my!  Doesn't that look delicious?   I might have to stop by the store and get some pita bread.  I found the sumac:   https://www.amazon.com/Ziyad-Gourmet-All-Natural-Preservatives-Flavorful/dp/B00B03X2XI?dchild=1&keywords=sumac+lebanese&qid=1620534950&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&smid=A2R4B1L3A6K3AY&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTEw5MlRWODNHN000JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIwODUzM1EzR0lTMzZXVzJCVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTczMDUzMUJPWFRVQkYyNU9GUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU%3D&linkCode=sl1&tag=feelgoodfoo03-20&linkId=60fadd98e2d98f018049c9782e88e7ea&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Sumac.jpg.1a7a08c3ac00e64dda9be6ff56fe2b11.jpg

You can also get sumac from Penzey's.  Ok, now that we have our sumac, we can proceed on to the second recipe that calls for a lemon vinaigrette and includes green pepper.  https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/lebanese-fattoush-salad/

461437778_fattoush2.thumb.jpg.f31c250821202d4660434c24c973178c.jpg

This next recipe uses red onion and includes some mint.  https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/fattoush-salad/

1231270876_fattoush3.thumb.jpg.74110dcd0e06fb188fc5327f13ded79b.jpg

This next one is the meal version and contains some chopped chicken.  https://www.simplyscratch.com/fattoush-salad/

2079864540_fattoush5.thumb.jpg.17717b5df1caf854c0a01376383132de.jpg

All the recipes say there are no rules as to which vegetables are included and which ones aren't.  It all depends on the season and what if available fresh.  So, be creative!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today is a beautiful and comfortable day.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good thank you @dfish for the pictures and recipes.  I’m making a pork roast today since I found it on sale yesterday and before the heat and humidity return tomorrow.  

I wish I could visit with my pets that passed.  They added so much to my life.

image.thumb.png.22542d0d84ebd3e2b4f76dcd5c7a8cd7.png

• Like 30

Good morning to all. I will remember all the pets who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge and will have to look up the Port. The executive chef and I are awaiting recipes before deciding on today’s specials. We have leftover quiche and a lovely leek and potato soup if nothing inspires today. Thanks to all who make this such a nice place to visit Daily.

@rafinmd, Roy, thank you for having Tana on the Cares list for so very long. It is appreciated. The nature of her illness has lots of ups and downs and she has been at least stable for a week or so. Perhaps it is more appropriate in her situation to be on the rotation.

@marshhawk, Ann, I was so sorry to read of your friend Jesse’s serious situation. I hope the surgery and treatment can help next week.

@Cruzin Terri, Terri, I hope the hand specialist can help and that your visit goes well. I was glad to see your incident was taken care of with your friend

@grapau27., Graham, what a beautiful salad and  as we call it in Yonkers “back yard”!

Terry

Enjoy the day everyone

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I used to enjoy swirling the mouse around the screen while our then kitten would chase it - until the day she scratched the screen with her claws.  We remember all our kitties who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  Woo hoo for red wine!

May be an image of text that says 'Being asked if I want another glass of wine is like being asked if I want more money.'

We started yesterday with bright sunshine and lots of humidity which later in the afternoon turned to thunderstorms rolling through and even some small hail.  Thankfully it was small, or it could have been devastating for all the flowers and gardens in the city.  Of course, the farmers certainly don't need rain right now, just as harvest is underway. 

Last Christmas I made a couple of wreaths to hang under the lights on our garage, which DH seemed to really like.  When I went to take them down, he suggested changing out some of the decorations and using them for Easter, which I did.  Then they were turned into summer wreaths, Canada Day wreaths, etc.  Well yesterday we went to the dollar store where I bought fall coloured leaves, etc., so this afternoon I think I'll remove the summer things and create the fall theme to change them once more.  

I've had today's menu suggestion, as a friend of ours is Lebanese and makes it fairly often.  It's quite nice, and can be turned into a meal with the addition of protein.  We still have some of the rotisserie chicken left, so I think we'll just be having chicken sandwiches tonight.  And red wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers for those celebrating good things.  Stay safe everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

On October 11, 2010 we were in Baie-Comeau as the Maasdam repositioned to Fort Lauderdale. It was Canadian Thanksgiving and the captain very accurately advised that the town's dockside greeting would not occur and we'd likely find little open in town.

I remember going for a short walk. I hope someone has pictures as a quick look at mine found nothing noteworthy.

-Melisa

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Daily-ites. Blessed Sunday.

Prayers lifted for our care list. 

Had about 20 minutes of unexpected medium to heavy rain late in the evening. High today is 97. Rain is coming this week!

I miss our sweet dog. She crossed the rainbow bridge in 2009. Thinking of all our Daily-ites who have lost pets over the last few years.

Wishing Father David a wonderful vacation but missed seeing him today.

Picking up my friend tonight that is flying back from a Mexican vacation. I really do not like driving to Austin but she drives us every time we fly, so fair is fair. 

Tomorrow I go to the clinic and have a Reclast IV. First time. I couldn't continue taking Fosamax as it caused stomach problems. 

I will raise my glass later tonight to you red wine drinkers. 

image.png.3fdd4144a7039109c332389122134f35.png

• Like 25