Cruise compass now available as PDF download by scanning QR code

wallyj

Hello, currently on Navigator and they have introduced the capability of now having the Cruise Compass as a PDF download. I have read many previous threads of wanting this feature and Royal has finally come through.

Today,  I met the Guest Services Manager in the DL and happen to mention a PDF download is something many passengers would want if the paper Cruise Compass is going bye, bye.

He showed me an example and it looked just like the paper compass and you can zoom and magnify, so should easily be able to adjust to any size font for your reading needs. So you still need a smart device to carry around, if you want to keep track of your calendar and events.

Yesterday was the first time I encountered they adjusted the late Production show last minute from 9:15 to 9:45. 

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kimberlym322 said:

My question would be.....wont you need wifi to do this?   like everyone else....I'll keep the paper, I bring them home for scrapbooking and future reference anyway.

You should be able to use the ships free ‘intranet’ , same portal you connect to use the RCL APP on the ship which is no charge to use. You pay to have access to the internet to stream or surf the web.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You will find a paper in your cabin with the QR code.  It is also on your cabin TV!  (channel 14 and a couple of other RC channels)

IMG_1761[1].JPG

I understand why they are doing it i do but at same time i dont want to carry my phone around all day. Its bad enough they dont have bar menus and its a QR code. 

Also on Brilliance they had printed off people ship taken pictures for you to look at and buy, complete waste of money, paper and ink. Just keep them on the electronic viewing kiosk.

Just maybe, just a thought, put it on the information tv sceeens around the ship.  As well as menus and available trips etc. 

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK

45 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I understand why they are doing it i do but at same time i dont want to carry my phone around all day. Its bad enough they dont have bar menus and its a QR code. 

But many people DO carry their phone as a camera, or for social media.  Just because YOU don't want this feature, doesn't mean others don't. 

46 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Just maybe, just a thought, put it on the information tv sceeens around the ship.  As well as menus and available trips etc. 

This is available on the wayfinder displays on many ships (mostly larger/newer ships).   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But many people DO carry their phone as a camera, or for social media.  Just because YOU don't want this feature, doesn't mean others don't. 

Plenty of us keep our music on our phones, too. I don't really use my I-pod any longer. So my phone is always with me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

This is available on the wayfinder displays on many ships (mostly larger/newer ships).   

In the world we live the option should be avilable for those are attached to their phones and those who leave their phones behind in their rooms.

Royal do have other ships rather then the large/newer ships..... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

In the world we live the option should be avilable for those are attached to their phones and those who leave their phones behind in their rooms.

What does the size of the ship have to do with it?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What does the size of the ship have to do with it?

Maybe that some of the smaller classes don't have the kiosks or displays available?  I have never been on a Radiance class ship so I don't know what signage is available.

What are all the trivia winners going to do with the life-changing first place highlighter prize? I am not using it on my phone………

IMHO, paper should also be an option.

mac_tlc

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I especially like reading the Compass just before I go to bed to get an idea of what's going on the next day, maybe a spa special, what to definitely avoid etc.  I just find the type will be too small on my phone and it's a PIA to keep adjusting.  That's just me though.

• Like 8

They're trying it on the Liberty and we rebelled. Getting paper.  Had to make GS work to find the sheet with officers listed.  Made them take my complaint about going green.  They're still leaving ads in the cabins.  The app isn't always correct.  Not sure about scanning the QR code.  Dh finally agreed to taking his phone but folding a piece of paper is still easier than dragging my phone along. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

They're trying it on the Liberty and we rebelled. Getting paper.  Had to make GS work to find the sheet with officers listed.  Made them take my complaint about going green.  They're still leaving ads in the cabins.  The app isn't always correct.  Not sure about scanning the QR code.  Dh finally agreed to taking his phone but folding a piece of paper is still easier than dragging my phone along. 

Hi when you scan the QR code, you will get a digital copy of the cruise compass that looks just like you took a picture of the paper copy. Yes, the APP is not always correct and this QR copy will be the exact copy of the paper one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I especially like reading the Compass just before I go to bed to get an idea of what's going on the next day, maybe a spa special, what to definitely avoid etc.

Me too. It's an actual part of my cruise experience.

50 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Don't want to carry phone around. Doesn't usually fit in my pants pockets.  Means carrying a bag to put in.

Or you could get a case with a holster and clip it on your pants. Just making a suggestion.

13 hours ago, Ashland said:

No thanks....I'll continue to prefer the old fashioned paper Cruise Compass left in our cabin each night.

I agree, I want paper, but when on Freedom Aug 19th weekend, could not get one at all, either from our stateroom person or at Guest Services.  Will see if I can get a paper one when on Freedom the 16th of Sept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

Yes, the APP is not always correct and this QR copy will be the exact copy of the paper one.

The APP might not always be correct, but neither was the paper version. Times change, shows get cancelled, etc. Nothing is foolproof unfortunately.

8 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

The option for paper IS available on many/most of the ships, and will likely return fleetwide when enough people complain about it.

As for the "other ships".... the smaller ships are, by default, older ships -- they were built before the technology existed for the wayfinder displays that have been put in the newer/larger ships.  At some point in time the displays might be installed in the older/smaller ships... you never know.