Cruise compass now available as PDF download by scanning QR code

wallyj

15 hours ago, wallyj said:

Hello, currently on Navigator and they have introduced the capability of now having the Cruise Compass as a PDF download. I have read many previous threads of wanting this feature and Royal has finally come through.

Today,  I met the Guest Services Manager in the DL and happen to mention a PDF download is something many passengers would want if the paper Cruise Compass is going bye, bye.

He showed me an example and it looked just like the paper compass and you can zoom and magnify, so should easily be able to adjust to any size font for your reading needs. So you still need a smart device to carry around, if you want to keep track of your calendar and events.

Yesterday was the first time I encountered they adjusted the late Production show last minute from 9:15 to 9:45. 

We’ll, reality is the Compass is going.  Think about a few years ago with all the magazines and newspapers that used to be in ship.  All gone.  Not saying part of he doesn’t miss them, but I don’t see them coming back.  The amount of printing the cruise line says on is staggering. 

• Like 1

NCL has offered this in their app for a while and I liked it, although I wouldn’t be happy if paper were discontinued. I’m on the Voyager now and I don’t think it’s offered.

I’ll try not to comment on those who are ostentatiously proud of locking their phones in the safe, leaving them at home, or still using a phone where you wait for an operator to come on and ask, “Number, plee-uz.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The main reason I like having a paper backup is that outside in bright light it is often hard to see my phone screen and certainly not able to see it well enough to read the Compass. That means having to take a walk inside or at least to a shaded area. Battery management also comes into play as I tend to listen to a lot of music and use the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I especially like reading the Compass just before I go to bed to get an idea of what's going on the next day, maybe a spa special, what to definitely avoid etc.  I just find the type will be too small on my phone and it's a PIA to keep adjusting.  That's just me though.

Exactly. We usually circle or highlight an event or show etc. on the paper CC that we want to do the next day. Nothing beats having a hard copy with you. I do appreciate having last minute updates via the app and would like to use both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

We’ll, reality is the Compass is going.  Think about a few years ago with all the magazines and newspapers that used to be in ship.  All gone.  Not saying part of he doesn’t miss them, but I don’t see them coming back.  The amount of printing the cruise line says on is staggering. 

Yup, and it's not only cruise lines. I literally just this afternoon translated a press release for my local tourist board saying they're discontinuing their monthly printed events magazine and it's going online instead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Yup, and it's not only cruise lines. I literally just this afternoon translated a press release for my local tourist board saying they're discontinuing their monthly printed events magazine and it's going online instead.

Going online and trying to read it on your phone is another thing.

• Like 2

Wow! You'd think the world was ending.

I don't think anyone has indicated that Royal is going to eliminate the paper compass all together. All we know right now, is that this is just another option. Even if they eliminate the mass auto delivery, I can't imagine that if you wanted a paper compass, you would not be able to pick one up by guest services or arrange for your stateroom attendant to leave you one at turn down for the foreseeable future. Especially if the pdf version continues to be the pdf that they print for the paper copy. Will they kill it off eventually? Maybe. But I highly doubt it. Not with today's technology anyway. Maybe with some great new form of integrated augmented reality or something. I don't know.

Anyway, I like the app and use it. I mark stuff I want to do (just like using a highlighter on the paper copy) and the reminders work great for me (which you can't do with the paper copy). Is it the greatest app I've used, not by a long shot. There's plenty of suggestions I could make to improve it, but it does get the job done, and there have already been some good improvements. For me, I always have my phone on me. I text with family, both on & off the cruise. I still monitor work emails to either answer quickly or route to someone else. I stream podcasts or music, I look at the Google news feed and some news web sites. And of course it is my camera. I do not FB, Twitter, or any of that, but I will keep up with CC.

If you also have your phone with you at all times, also don't want to carry around a paper copy, but don't like or use the app, then the PDF version sounds perfect for you.

If you still want the paper one, great! go for it! My preference is irrelevant, to you and honestly, I couldn't care less if I see you carrying one around with you all day.

All this bashing of phone apps and/or complaining about not liking to read pdfs and such on you phone by zooming just seems a bit over dramatic and unnecessary at this time. Sounds like my daughter. Ever since she was old enough to form an opinion, anything she disagrees with is just stupid and "nobody likes that".  And she's 22 now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Let's not forget the lack of places per cabin to charge stuff and all the outlet extenders they ban and take away from people at boarding etc. For me it's a pain.

Regular power strips with surge protectors are banned. But you can charge probably more devices than you have by using something like this, and it's perfectly allowed:

71W3WTYQG9L._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

What are all the trivia winners going to do with the life-changing first place highlighter prize? I am not using it on my phone………

IMHO, paper should also be an option.

mac_tlc

As the trivia hosts on the Adventure say, "When you are finished using it as a highlighter, it functions as a pregnancy test."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

Wow! You'd think the world was ending.

I don't think anyone has indicated that Royal is going to eliminate the paper compass all together. All we know right now, is that this is just another option. Even if they eliminate the mass auto delivery, I can't imagine that if you wanted a paper compass, you would not be able to pick one up by guest services or arrange for your stateroom attendant to leave you one at turn down for the foreseeable future. Especially if the pdf version continues to be the pdf that they print for the paper copy. Will they kill it off eventually? Maybe. But I highly doubt it. Not with today's technology anyway. Maybe with some great new form of integrated augmented reality or something. I don't know.

Anyway, I like the app and use it. I mark stuff I want to do (just like using a highlighter on the paper copy) and the reminders work great for me (which you can't do with the paper copy). Is it the greatest app I've used, not by a long shot. There's plenty of suggestions I could make to improve it, but it does get the job done, and there have already been some good improvements. For me, I always have my phone on me. I text with family, both on & off the cruise. I still monitor work emails to either answer quickly or route to someone else. I stream podcasts or music, I look at the Google news feed and some news web sites. And of course it is my camera. I do not FB, Twitter, or any of that, but I will keep up with CC.

If you also have your phone with you at all times, also don't want to carry around a paper copy, but don't like or use the app, then the PDF version sounds perfect for you.

If you still want the paper one, great! go for it! My preference is irrelevant, to you and honestly, I couldn't care less if I see you carrying one around with you all day.

All this bashing of phone apps and/or complaining about not liking to read pdfs and such on you phone by zooming just seems a bit over dramatic and unnecessary at this time. Sounds like my daughter. Ever since she was old enough to form an opinion, anything she disagrees with is just stupid and "nobody likes that".  And she's 22 now.

Who's bashing phone apps. Calm down. Such drama. Some just say they want to stick with paper. End of.

Edited by CanHardlyWait4NextYear
Typo

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

Regular power strips with surge protectors are banned. But you can charge probably more devices than you have by using something like this, and it's perfectly allowed:

71W3WTYQG9L._SL1500_.jpg

And p.s. go over the postings from people who have had non surge protector devices like that taken away lately for no reason other then poor communication and poorly trained staff. I didn't just make that up. People have been complaining about non stop lately. But apparently it's enough to have you jump down my throat.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:13 AM, kimberlym322 said:

My question would be.....wont you need wifi to do this?   like everyone else....I'll keep the paper, I bring them home for scrapbooking and future reference anyway.

Me too!

• Like 1