Behaviour on Board

swjumbo

I have just come off a 4 night trip on Silhouette from Southampton and was shocked by the behaviour of some fellow passengers.

They were rude to staff, drunk, loud and we found ourselves apologising to staff for their behaviour.

Normally, if there’s a few people at the bar, you sort of let the people who were there first be served before you. Not on this cruise. Loud mouths pushing in with no respect for their fellow guests.

It seemed as if the majority were first time cruisers who got this at a cheap price and the ship was also full. 

The staff were amazing and we love Celebrity. If any staff read this then thank you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, julia said:

So sorry to read this. 

Shorter cruises are often "booze cruises", especially with the drink packages.  😥

Sad but true. Our worst experience was 2013 Solstice Ensenarda (spelling probably wrong) to Seattle - the first and last time X sailed this route. Due to the reluctance of passengers to board in Ensanarda X reduced the price several times and when this failed they "threw in" a free drinks package. 7 nights of hell for a crew that were already exhausted having fought a non stop battle against the worst outbreak of norovirus we have ever experienced on the 2 preceding sectors - the Ensanarda leg was the last of 5 x B2B  which we started in Auckland.

• Like 1

Yes, there are definitely cruises to miss, these short UK ones, Spring Break Caribbean short cruises and some cruises with ‘large groups’ on board…

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

I have just come off a 4 night trip on Silhouette from Southampton and was shocked by the behaviour of some fellow passengers.

They were rude to staff, drunk, loud and we found ourselves apologising to staff for their behaviour.

Normally, if there’s a few people at the bar, you sort of let the people who were there first be served before you. Not on this cruise. Loud mouths pushing in with no respect for their fellow guests.

It seemed as if the majority were first time cruisers who got this at a cheap price and the ship was also full. 

The staff were amazing and we love Celebrity. If any staff read this then thank you. 

swjumbo, I feel for you. I hope you have managed to enjoy yourself regardless. Silhouette is a fantastic ship, we can’t wait to cruise on her again soon.

Brits and booze… :classic_laugh: There are even TV shows about them.

edit: before I get flamed; thread title should or could be more including the subject(s), I clicked it because I thought it to be an etiquette question or along that.

Edited by FreestyleNovice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry you experienced this poor behavior and even sorrier for the poor crew who work so hard to give every guest an amazing vacation. 

Unfortunately, I think some guests (not all) try to squeeze 7-10 nights’ worth of “partying” into 4 nights. Throw in a bank holiday and it’s amplified even more!

We generally avoid short sailings for that reason. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, swjumbo said:

I was also on this cruise.

Whilst we had a fabulous cruise, it was noticeable that there were quite a few onboard, who were partying a little too hard and weren't very respectable to the crew.

I did also experienced first hand one evening in the 'Craft Social' the drunken Loud Mouths pushing-in

However, this was our first Celebrity cruise and we'd definitely cruise again with them. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, swjumbo said:

This is very disappointing - and the reason why I always avoid short cruises (although you can get very loud and rude people on longer cruises as well) . 

• Like 2

I worked for a UK firm snd had several UK sites reporting to me in the US so traveled quite a bit there. There is absolutely too much drinking by many in the UK so it follows it would migrate to short cruises. Brits coming on business to my large Corporate office in the US were all surprised that at lunch no body drinks alcohol like in the UK.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I worked for a UK firm snd had several UK sites reporting to me in the US so traveled quite a bit there. There is absolutely too much drinking by many in the UK so it follows it would migrate to short cruises. Brits coming on business to my large Corporate office in the US were all surprised that at lunch no body drinks alcohol like in the UK.

The really heavy drinking at lunch time is a thing of the past. When I started work in London a boozy lunch was considered to be perfectly normal but it is definitely not so now. Coffee shops are open on every corner and pubs closing by the hundred every year.

Bad behaviour exists on every continent and amongst every nationality. Virgin is currently marketing 4 and 5 night cruises from Miami mainly to US citizens which, judging by the recent TV series, are pretty well non stop booze fuelled events - they even have organised "pub crawls" on the ship.

We don't even book a drinks package and meet most of our friends on the ship in Al Bacio. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

The worst behaviour I witnessed on a ship (and definitely alcohol induced) was during the 2014 World Cup and the match between USA and Ghana was aired live on the big Princess ship screen in the Caribbean. The USA got beat in the dying minutes and taunts from Ghana supporters lead to a massive brawl. Never in my days did I ever think I would witness Americans fighting over a football (soccer) match!

As for short cruises we did 6 days around the UK last year on Silhouette and there were no incidents whatsoever. But then people were just pleased to be back cruising again. 

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Why I won't do anything less than 7 nights.  Welcome to the booze cruise.  Sorry you had to experience this and hope it didn't taint you to cruising or with Celebrity.  This is typical of the shorter cruises, just surprised to hear it from Southampton.  Typically you see the booze cruise from the States to the Caribbean, to Mexico, and to Bermuda on these short cruises.  Bermuda as I have heard even on longer 7 night cruises has a lot of problems.

39 minutes ago, Sascol said:

We have considered in the past adding a 3-4 night trip either before or after a 7-night cruise just to extend the cruise out but have opted never to do that for the very reasons being discussed above.  

You will see a big difference between the shorter cruises that are in the middle of the week and those that are over a weekend.  The time of year also matters a great deal.

I was onboard this ship also and it did seem like a party cruise at times.

I think many passengers became rude through frustration at being unable to actually get a drink.  Every bar and dining area was severely understaffed, I witnessed wait times of 40+minutes at times in the bars and barely saw any waiting staff, we gave up trying on more than one occasion.  Dining rooms and the buffet could also not cope with the demand, service was terrible

I felt so sorry for the staff trying to service a full ship when they were obviously only staffed for a much lower capacity.  

I doubt we will ever book anything shorter than 7 days again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

What TV series?

There is a series in the UK on Channel 5 called The Cruise.  Its based on the crew and passengers on board Scarlet Lady.  I think its on on Sunday nights at 9pm UK time.

You might be able to watch through 5ondemand (channel5dotcom) through a VPN.

1 minute ago, Sheffben79 said:

There is a series in the UK on Channel 5 called The Cruise.  Its based on the crew and passengers on board Scarlet Lady.  I think its on on Sunday nights at 9pm UK time.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Sheffben79 said:

Certainly put me off ever doing a Virgin cruise…

Had an incredible amount of drinking on a special 14 day Mediterranean cruise for the 100th Anniversary of Gallipoli.  1400 Aussie's, 400 Kiwis, the rest Brits and a very few from NA.  Ran out of beer on day 5!  No fights.  Just never an open seat at any bar.  Bartenders simply opened bottle after bottle and set them out.

• Like 1