Behaviour on Board

swjumbo

Enjoyed reading the posts after mine, thank you!

Don’t worry for us not going with Celebrity again…. we love it, just felt sorry for the staff.

We’ve been on 4 nighters before and always prefer to eat in Tuscan even if we’re in Luminae (but that’s our preference and has been debated elsewhere).

It was just on this specific cruise the fellow passengers were……..well they were not the ‘normal’ Celebrity customers.

We even witnessed an aggressive yob berating and shouting at a lovely Indian crew member for not looking at him in the eyes when he spoke to him. 

There are indeed less staff and one crew member we spoke to said that they are struggling to recruit new people. There’s even two English waiting crew serving on the Silhouette!!!

Needless to say, in the bars there appeared to be the same amount of staff, it was just that our fellow guests lacked manners and pushed in leaving the more polite guests to wait.

Being perfectly honest, and I may get a bit of stick for this, but I cruised once just before Covid with P&O and swore never to go back. Vests, tattoos, lack of respect, high expectations, beer bellies, loud, cheap and that’s just the women ha ha ha!

Seriously though, it appears that quite a few P&O passengers have seen the value in the drinks package with Celebrity and realise they need to move cruise lines and some, unfortunately, already have!

3 hours ago, Sheffben79 said:

I felt so sorry for the staff trying to service a full ship when they were obviously only staffed for a much lower capacity.  

I read that 68 wait staff left the ship the previous weekend and were not replaced.

57 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

………Being perfectly honest, and I may get a bit of stick for this, but I cruised once just before Covid with P&O and swore never to go back. Vests, tattoos, lack of respect, high expectations, beer bellies, loud, cheap and that’s just the women ha ha ha!

Seriously though, it appears that quite a few P&O passengers have seen the value in the drinks package with Celebrity and realise they need to move cruise lines and some, unfortunately, already have!

Good one! My town use to have a colorful festival, the Mullet Festival! I’d say to watch out for the Biker Crowd….they’d show up, push their way up to the beer booths, wearing their biker vests that showed off their hairy chests and tattoos all over their beer-bellies….then their boyfriends would show up!!!

As to the short cruises….not even considering the party-type crowd, I’d not consider one because one of the major pluses of cruising is getting onboard and unpacking for the week/week+. A short cruise means you unpack and then pack up just a few days later….what’s the point?!? Even when I worked, I’d make sure I’d cruise at least a week!

den

• Like 2

I do not even consider doing 7 nights, as that is way too short for me.  It is always sad when others just want to see how much they can drink, but at least they are not driving, except for driving others a bit crazy.  Honestly, I do not even thoroughly enjoy Caribbean Cruises, but have booked a couple 10 and 11 nighters just to relax.  IMHO, TA's are the best, along with b2b's. The summer months are a big no for me too, along with holidays.

I sound like a prude!

Edited by Lastdance

We once sailed on a 2 day repositioning cruise, Amsterdam to Southampton, just to gain Elite status, as we had a longer cruise to the Caribbean the following spring. It was on the old point system, where you gained 1 point for the cruise.We were in an inside cabin ( we usually sail in balcony)so the 2 nights was long enough from that point of view.

It was on the Constellation and we were lucky with the weather, but I do remember ‘ moaners,’  who objected to not being able to order more than one entrée! I also remember seeing a man shouting and chasing his partner, which is unusual on a Celebrity ship( probably too much to drink)?

Edited by upwarduk

19 hours ago, the penguins said:

The really heavy drinking at lunch time is a thing of the past. When I started work in London a boozy lunch was considered to be perfectly normal but it is definitely not so now. Coffee shops are open on every corner and pubs closing by the hundred every year.

Bad behaviour exists on every continent and amongst every nationality. Virgin is currently marketing 4 and 5 night cruises from Miami mainly to US citizens which, judging by the recent TV series, are pretty well non stop booze fuelled events - they even have organised "pub crawls" on the ship.

We don't even book a drinks package and meet most of our friends on the ship in Al Bacio. 

Agree about work lunch time drinking, especially post covid. Most people WFH anyway . Can't believe how quite the roads are now early in the morning. No rush hour

We also almost never have a DP, except last year's summer sailcation when we got it a rock bottom price, and only just broke even because it included WiFi and gratuities  

With the wonderful choice of non alcoholic drinks now in pubs and restaurants there's a growing movement of youngsters who don't drink or drink little. It's mainly the middle aged who still like an alcoholic bevvy 

But short cruises over a Bank Holiday weekend are renowned for partying and heavy drinkers. Very sad for the staff and the vast majority of people who just want a good time

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Good one! My town use to have a colorful festival, the Mullet Festival! I’d say to watch out for the Biker Crowd….they’d show up, push their way up to the beer booths, wearing their biker vests that showed off their hairy chests and tattoos all over their beer-bellies….then their boyfriends would show up!!!

As to the short cruises….not even considering the party-type crowd, I’d not consider one because one of the major pluses of cruising is getting onboard and unpacking for the week/week+. A short cruise means you unpack and then pack up just a few days later….what’s the point?!? Even when I worked, I’d make sure I’d cruise at least a week!

den

Sort of agree but you also miss out on some wonderful "specials". X did a fantastic 4 night Classical Music Cruise from Southampton including a full phillamonic orchestra, guest artists including Alfie Boe, Catherine Jenkins and many others. Shows in the main theatre twice a day , numerous other performances throughout the ship and not a drunk in site. Every performance was full to bursting.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Agree about work lunch time drinking, especially post covid. Most people WFH anyway . Can't believe how quite the roads are now early in the morning. No rush hour

We also almost never have a DP, except last year's summer sailcation when we got it a rock bottom price, and only just broke even because it included WiFi and gratuities  

With the wonderful choice of non alcoholic drinks now in pubs and restaurants there's a growing movement of youngsters who don't drink or drink little. It's mainly the middle aged who still like an alcoholic bevvy 

But short cruises over a Bank Holiday weekend are renowned for partying and heavy drinkers. Very sad for the staff and the vast majority of people who just want a good time

Regrettably this is what happens when these types of short trips and not just cruises are promoted with unlimited drinks packages and all you can eat food deals. As others have posted not unique to the UK. Caribbean, Mexico, numerous Spanish Islands, Las Vegas and the Caribbean have all suffered. Also many cities across Europe are famous "infamous"? for attracting/promoting  this type of business.

On the whole we avoid travel during all holiday periods and leave that to those that have little or no choice. We love Transatlantics and Transpacifics

• Like 1

It’s not always the length that matters. 
I suspect our 9 night 10/26 cruise from Bayonne, New Jersey on Beyond to Bermuda and Southern Caribbean ending in Fort Lauderdale will be a “booze cruise.” 
I don’t mind drunk

people having fun. The rudeness I can do without. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If I am repeating another response, please excuse me.

Summer time: More college kids, children (I like children, have 4 but when we cruise I like the quiet)

Short cruises: Many times I feel people consider it a quick bang for the buck. We only have 4 days, lets start drinking!!

We sail Fall and Winter 2 week cruises

In my opinion, from what I have seen on two recent Celebrity cruises, Constellation from Tampa and Millennium from Vancouver, the heavy drinking is not confined to the four night cruises.

When the cruise director (dubbed the Boozy Floozy by my husband and I) and comedians make statements and jokes about the drunks on board (Constellation) and passengers are too drunk to walk a straight line (both ships), there is obviously a change in the marketing demographic. 

An easy indicator are the threads that appear on each cruise line forum here on Cruise Critic.  When threads appear that include the number of drinks consumed each day of the cruise or threads include comparisons of the bang for the buck of the drink packages, it is a good indication of the drunk focus of the passengers.

30 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

In my opinion, from what I have seen on two recent Celebrity cruises, Constellation from Tampa and Millennium from Vancouver, the heavy drinking is not confined to the four night cruises.

When the cruise director (dubbed the Boozy Floozy by my husband and I) and comedians make statements and jokes about the drunks on board (Constellation) and passengers are too drunk to walk a straight line (both ships), there is obviously a change in the marketing demographic. 

An easy indicator are the threads that appear on each cruise line forum here on Cruise Critic.  When threads appear that include the number of drinks consumed each day of the cruise or threads include comparisons of the bang for the buck of the drink packages, it is a good indication of the drunk focus of the passengers.

My husband and I are two of those drunk passengers. It has never made us rude to the staff or loud ( except when we are in a loud environment like The Club. 

We cruise Celebrity exclusively, for many reasons including its fantastic drink packages.  I have posted in a recent thread about bars on the Equinox and how we can drink all day .....and  we do have days where drinking and smoking cigars and watching the horizon is our day. And sometimes if the seas are rough being drunk helps me walk a straight line ! 

I don't see any  change in the marketing demographic. Celebrity has had these great drink packages for years.  And the worst passengers we've seen on Celebrity over the years haven't been drunk ( usually quite amicable or goofy) but those  people who want everything just so or they give crap to the poor staff.

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

My husband and I are two of those drunk passengers. It has never made us rude to the staff or loud ( except when we are in a loud environment like The Club. 

We cruise Celebrity exclusively, for many reasons including its fantastic drink packages.  I have posted in a recent thread about bars on the Equinox and how we can drink all day .....and  we do have days where drinking and smoking cigars and watching the horizon is our day. And sometimes if the seas are rough being drunk helps me walk a straight line ! 

I don't see any  change in the marketing demographic. Celebrity has had these great drink packages for years.  And the worst passengers we've seen on Celebrity over the years haven't been drunk ( usually quite amicable or goofy) but those  people who want everything just so or they give crap to the poor staff.

For medical reasons we don't drink any alcohol and view the drinking on board from that perspective. On the whole we agree with your points and have seen first hand how efficiently the crew deal with the occasional passenger who has been causing issues. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:21 PM, swjumbo said:

I have just come off a 4 night trip on Silhouette from Southampton and was shocked by the behaviour of some fellow passengers.

They were rude to staff, drunk, loud and we found ourselves apologising to staff for their behaviour.

Normally, if there’s a few people at the bar, you sort of let the people who were there first be served before you. Not on this cruise. Loud mouths pushing in with no respect for their fellow guests.

It seemed as if the majority were first time cruisers who got this at a cheap price and the ship was also full. 

The staff were amazing and we love Celebrity. If any staff read this then thank you. 

Those short cruises tend to be a "booze cruise", apparently from no matter where they sail from.  

2 hours ago, Smmessineo said:

Perspective influence one's viewpoint .  My first cruise was on Chandris in 1976.

Chandris  ---> Celebrity  -----> Celebrity (purchased by Royal Caribbean to be a premium line which cause the down market repositioning of Royal Caribbean ----> Azarmara to take the up market place of Celebrity ----> to the current Celebrity niche of barely above the Carnival/Royal Caribbean/ NCL cruise experience.

Yeah, Celebrity has changed.

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Perspective influence one's viewpoint .  My first cruise was on Chandris in 1976.

Chandris  ---> Celebrity  -----> Celebrity (purchased by Royal Caribbean to be a premium line which cause the down market repositioning of Royal Caribbean ----> Azarmara to take the up market place of Celebrity ----> to the current Celebrity niche of barely above the Carnival/Royal Caribbean/ NCL cruise experience.

Celebrity is still as great as when we first sailed on it in 2006, and in our opinion, worlds above the "entry level" cruiselines.

Maybe if it's not up to your standards anymore and you don't want to sail with riff-raff like me, it's time for you to move on.

In our opinion, Celebrity does not  have the same clientele as it did when we first started cruising.. Changes came rapidly after the intro of drink packages. Many came from other cruise lines solely for the inclusive drinking. Also brought down the dress standards and general ambiance. "Royalization"  had an effect.

Still enjoy X  over any others, but it has def changed with the times as has culture in general.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smmessineo said:

Celebrity is still as great as when we first sailed on it in 2006, and in our opinion, worlds above the "entry level" cruiselines.

Maybe if it's not up to your standards anymore and you don't want to sail with riff-raff like me, it's time for you to move on.

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THIS!  Haha.  First Celebrity Cruise next month and I'm SO excited.  We haven't afforded Celebrity until now and instead have only cruised Carnival and RC in the past (so damn expensive to fly to the cruise port and THEN pay the fare!).

I can't wait, and I fully expect it to be a much different and classier experience than the other lines, the food alone!  I like to drink, but I really cannot abide seeing people be rude and entitled to the staff.  When I drink I get even friendlier and tip like a demon - I agree with those who said the people who drink aren't nearly as bad... I'm one of them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Here's something that hasn't changed relative to Royal:

image.png.46bc33e5fdd42a068f2ab984ba3969ae.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I'LL BE THE JUDGE OF THIS!  Haha.  First Celebrity Cruise next month and I'm SO excited.  We haven't afforded Celebrity until now and instead have only cruised Carnival and RC in the past (so damn expensive to fly to the cruise port and THEN pay the fare!).

I can't wait, and I fully expect it to be a much different and classier experience than the other lines, the food alone!  I like to drink, but I really cannot abide seeing people be rude and entitled to the staff.  When I drink I get even friendlier and tip like a demon - I agree with those who said the people who drink aren't nearly as bad... I'm one of them.

Welcome to Celebrity ! I didn't mean to look down on other cruise lines 😀. I called them entry level because people think they are cheaper, but for me, once we figure in everything that gets added on , the Celebrity cruise with All Included comes out cheaper. We  are interior to occasional balcony cruisers and it's awesome!

Celebrity to us always has felt a bit more refined, but not stuffy. And , where some people say Celebrity doesn't have enough entertainment, I don't agree. Some other lines, the party comes to you whether you like it or not. On Celebrity, every day there are events with dj's, dancing, fun social drinking , if that's what you're in the mood for But there's also bars and lounges where you can just chill or talk , or read or whatever. 

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Welcome to Celebrity ! I didn't mean to look down on other cruise lines 😀. I called them entry level because people think they are cheaper, but for me, once we figure in everything that gets added on , the Celebrity cruise with All Included comes out cheaper. We  are interior to occasional balcony cruisers and it's awesome!

Celebrity to us always has felt a bit more refined, but not stuffy. And , where some people say Celebrity doesn't have enough entertainment, I don't agree. Some other lines, the party comes to you whether you like it or not. On Celebrity, every day there are events with dj's, dancing, fun social drinking , if that's what you're in the mood for But there's also bars and lounges where you can just chill or talk , or read or whatever. 

Oh no worries, didn't think you were looking down on them at all - in the end they are 'entry level' when it comes to it.  We just never felt it was worth a more expensive/fancier ship to just cruise to Mexico or the Caribbean since it's more of a beach-type vacation and those are the only ones we've done so far.

I definitely prefer Carnival to RC though to actually save, we an always swing a balcony on Carnival and RC nickle and dime WAY too much for specialty dining... TBH the Mardi Gras was AMAZING - all the beautiful venues of a more expensive line and SO many free dining options.  We only managed to get on the Mardi Gras due to a cancelled cruise rebooked 3x due to COVID (we were on a repositioning from Hawaii to Vancouver on an older ship).  The new ships on cruise lines are insanely expensive usually and we always end up on older/smaller ships.

This time though we're treating ourselves since it's our 20th anniversary cruise (and a happy accident we're ending up on Edge because our Infinity cruise got cancelled when they moved to the Caribbean) and I think I'm going to be spoiled.  I'm already looking at one on the Summit - chances are if we cruise Celebrity again it will be on an older Celebrity ship.

I'd cruise a lot more if we lived closer to a cruise port, but coming from the middle of Canada it's almost $1500 CDN for us just to FLY down there so gotta save where we can.  

• Like 1