Disappointed with princess

cruisejunkie

I disembarked from the Caribbean Princess today. I filled out my survey tonight. One of the things I mentioned was the failure to provide promised things such as the upgraded bathroom amenities and canapés on formal nights. Elites finally received chocolates on the third formal night. The lotion in the pump bottle on the bathroom counter is not the same as the lotion that was in the tubes. Perhaps it's just on the CB that it's different. This one had a gardenia scent, even though the label mentioned eucalyptus and sea salt. The liquid soap and body wash also had the gardenia scent. Only the shampoo smelled right.

We did get a champagne waterfall on our third formal night. The cruise director mentioned it was the first one on that ship since the restart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is cruise critic...you have the right to post whatever you want.  Your "opinion" matters.  Thanks for chiming in.

Milk Chocolate / Dark Chocolate / Milk Chocolate with Caramel 

I really prefer dark chocolate with caramel but that's harder to find sometimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rheathslc said:

I really prefer dark chocolate with caramel but that's harder to find sometimes.

My wife bought a large plastic bottle at Costco that had salted dark chocolate squares with caramel inside. They were evil...🥰

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geoherb said:

I disembarked from the Caribbean Princess today. I filled out my survey tonight. One of the things I mentioned was the failure to provide promised things such as the upgraded bathroom amenities and canapés on formal nights. Elites finally received chocolates on the third formal night. The lotion in the pump bottle on the bathroom counter is not the same as the lotion that was in the tubes. Perhaps it's just on the CB that it's different. This one had a gardenia scent, even though the label mentioned eucalyptus and sea salt. The liquid soap and body wash also had the gardenia scent. Only the shampoo smelled right.

We did get a champagne waterfall on our third formal night. The cruise director mentioned it was the first one on that ship since the restart.

I reckon if they were the things you put on your survey, I would say that you had a great cruise overall.

Really big ticket stuff.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, geoherb said:

geoherb...I did two cruises on the Caribbean Princess this past January and it was so good that I'm doing two this coming January.  The crew was fantastic, the ship was clean, I enjoyed walking and reading on the full promenade, there was a very good classical guitarist that played in differing venues that went well with a wee dram in the evenings, and when I asked for a peatier Scotch one evening the server almost ran to another bar to retrieve a bottle of Talisker for me to try.  I really liked the Horizon Court selections and alternated the HC with the MDR for breakfasts and lunch.  My evening meals were simply some of the small tidbits in Skywalkers.

The two cruises in January were my fourth and fifth since the restart and I've enjoyed each one.  

Any questions?  See may signature line below.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

I reckon if they were the things you put on your survey, I would say that you had a great cruise overall.

Really big ticket stuff.

I did have a very good cruise overall. But sometimes it is the little things that would take it from very good to great. It would have been easy for Princess to have removed those promises from the list of Elite benefits when they revamped the program last summer. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I did have a very good cruise overall. But sometimes it is the little things that would take it from very good to great. It would have been easy for Princess to have removed those promises from the list of Elite benefits when they revamped the program last summer. 

I agree. I'm not Elite yet but those things are just not important to me. I'm probably just so grateful to be cruising again that it would take a lot to lessen my enjoyment.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

was that pillow chocolates you received on the third formal night ?

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We'd never been to Icy Straight Point before, so we enjoyed the stop there last week very much. Highlights were the mountain gondola and the loop walk with about a dozen other folks and a bear guard with a rifle. No bears showed up.

My sister said that Icy Straight Point was her favorite stop on the cruise. She can't wait to visit again. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

My wife bought a large plastic bottle at Costco that had salted dark chocolate squares with caramel inside. They were evil...🥰

OMG!!  You are right!  Friends of ours introduced us to those on a trip earlier this year.

It takes such willpower to resist them whenever we go to Costco.  I swear I could single-handedly finish the container in 2 days!  They are soooo yummy!!

And, now I am contemplating a trip to Costco!  Thanks! 😋

• Haha 1

I’ll be interested to form my own opinion on our first post-Covid cruise in December. I can say it’s sad to hear so many Elites being let down lately. 😔 Princess has long been my favorite brand, and despite all the negatives I’ve read recently, I am maintaining hope that it will continue to be. 🤞 I also need my hubby to continue to favor Princess, so 🤞 for that, too. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cruisejunkie said:

We just returned from the Discovery Alaska cruise and felt disappointed  with the over all quality. The ship itself was wonderful, no complaints there.  The extra things that make princess special were lacking. No mints at turn down, no tote bags on first land day, no snacks at bar to name just a few.  Madallion was great for unlocking door but otherwise useless because of poor wifi. No special lotions in bathroom for elite.  Food quality was not up to snuff.   This was our first princess cruise since Covid and we don’t like the changes. Has anyone else felt this way?

As I don't think anyone discussed the snacks in the bars on this thread, the reason for them no longer being out is due to covid. Too many people reaching into the nuts/pretzels/etc.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

DO NOT even go there!!! I bought them for a Holiday gift exchange and everyone fought over them. YUM!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, suekel said:

They haven't done much of this since the end of the pause.  The lotion in the big bottle in your bathroom was the same lotion that used to come in the elite bag.  The wifi is mostly because of the location, it was fine on my caribbean, mexico and California Coastal( 2 of which were on the Discovery) prior to Alaska.  Most of us are just happy to be cruising again.  That all being said, I thought the food on the Ruby last week was much better than on the Discovery last spring.  

Good to know.  Will be on the Ruby in Oct.

We were on the Emerald this past May for a British Isles cruise (3 years in the making).:

** No Pillow Chocolates- We can live with that

** No Princess Bags- That is ok; We have several at home

** No Snacks at the Bar- We usually go to Vines anyway (which after day 4 began serving snacks again)

** The Medallion- We used it when we wanted to and no big deal

** WiFi- It always worked fine for us

** Lotions- Yuk! I always bring my own

** Food- Very good in the Dining Rooms and Crown Grill; the buffet was a let down

** No Pen or Pad of Paper at the Desk- A bit odd...Our Steward brought them upon request

We are excited for our 12 Day Alaska cruise on the Grand in less than two weeks!

Edited by nini
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

Good to know....although I always take my own, soap, shampoo and lotion due to sensitive skin issues.

Hubby doesn't care what he uses. although not sure he will want to smell like gardenias.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

Don't crucify me for my next question.....but......are the formal nights really formal?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MustangGT said:

OMG!!  You are right!  Friends of ours introduced us to those on a trip earlier this year.

It takes such willpower to resist them whenever we go to Costco.  I swear I could single-handedly finish the container in 2 days!  They are soooo yummy!!

And, now I am contemplating a trip to Costco!  Thanks! 😋

Alright - that does it!!  Too many folks raving about the Big Box chocolates, I am going to HAVE to try them.  Is this a Kirkland-branded product?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1