HAL Wine Policy

BlackJack2

Nope… the policy changed in June 2021 to require corkage for every bottle brought on.  But you are allowed to bring on a “reasonable number” of bottles… never seen anything where that has been defined.

From the HAL website:  

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.  If Your luggage is locked, the lock may be removed by security or, alternatively, the luggage will be held by security until you can be present for an inspection and any items in question further identified and/or surrendered.  Holland America Line shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any luggage lock removal, alcoholic/nonalcoholic items, or other prohibited items removed and discarded in violation of the policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Holland America Line, which will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarking the voyage. Any wine or champagne supplied by the Holland America Line to you is not subject to a corkage fee.  

1 hour ago, Queenmom1947 said:

Money grab!

Making a profit (which HAL is not doing right now, and hasn't since at least March of 2020) is not against the law, unethical or immoral. Not making a profit, however, is frequently fatal to a business. Not sure why people have a problem with that.

I am sure there are cruise lines out there that don't charge corkage.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Making a profit (which HAL is not doing right now, and hasn't since at least March of 2020) is not against the law, unethical or immoral. Not making a profit, however, is frequently fatal to a business. Not sure why people have a problem with that.

Absolutely... and, quite often, HAL is one of those cruise lines.  It depends on the ship, the security personnel, the embarkation personnel, the beverage staff being available to check or not, and even the wine stewards in the dining room.  So many variables!

The wine packages are generally reasonably priced, particularly for 4 and 5 star.  Or you can simply purchase the beverage package. I don't begrudge the cruiseline for trying to make a profit here.  It's been a hard 2 years for them.  I tip much more generously to waitstaff now....they suffered during the lockdowns and shutdowns.  It's only fair.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Viking Ocean  lets you bring whatever you want onboard - liquor, wine - they don't care - no corkage

4 hours ago, albingirl said:

The wine packages are generally reasonably priced, particularly for 4 and 5 star.  Or you can simply purchase the beverage package. I don't begrudge the cruiseline for trying to make a profit here.  It's been a hard 2 years for them.  I tip much more generously to waitstaff now....they suffered during the lockdowns and shutdowns.  It's only fair.

4 and 5 Star cruisers get 50% off wine packages and IMO that makes it so thats its not worthwhile bringing you own wine onboard, for most of us.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the motive of profit need thus the policy change and am accepting that.
I was just surprised by the discovery of the change that has occurred since  our last cruise which was pre- COVID.    
I will certainly investigate a wine package so as to have a cocktail available in my cabin.    I

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Viking Ocean  lets you bring whatever you want onboard - liquor, wine - they don't care - no corkage

they charge $500 a day per person.....much different business case than Holland America Line. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

they charge $500 a day per person.....much different business case than Holland America Line. 

Viking includes wine and beer with lunch and dinner.  If you bring wine aboard, you aren"t drinking their wine so it saves them money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rljan said:

Viking includes wine and beer with lunch and dinner.  If you bring wine aboard, you aren"t drinking their wine so it saves them money.

If I were running Viking, I'd promote bringing onboard your own wine.......LOL...saves $$$.  

I see Viking as a much different business model than HAL (And our pay grade allow us to sail HAL but not Viking).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, halgator said:

is it cheaper to buy wine packages on line or on board or is their a difference...miss the days of bringing my own!

AFAIK, The price is the same. Some people wait to buy on the ship for a few reasons: 

-- you can use OBC (if you have some) 

-- you can confirm what wines are onboard for each "Cellar" (level of quality) as substitutions occur

-- you can make a bar server or bartender very happy to purchase through them (they get credit)

On 9/10/2022 at 7:20 PM, DaveOKC said:

4 and 5 Star cruisers get 50% off wine packages and IMO that makes it so thats its not worthwhile bringing you own wine onboard, for most of us.

This sums up this site . 4+ Mariners make up a small portion of cruisers but not here . With a 50% discount I wouldn't sweat this money grab either . Princess, on my summer cruise , still had a "free" bottle PP and charges $15 not $20 for additional bottles . 

BTW, my next cruise is currently selling balconies for $50 a day . Yes, $350 for the week . Defend the suits all you guys want . I think HAL management are xxxxx's . Oh and congratulations on getting another $40 out of me . 

Flame away .

Edited by richstowe

I looked at the beverage packages & deemed it not  worth our while  to buy any of them .   We have 2 cruises B2B  ,one a 7 night & the other a 5 night  ,  We will   bring  2 bottles of   Shiraz    &   2 bottles of Sauvignon Blanc     ,all are Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's   . Those 4 bottles will last us  for  our 3  Special Restaurant    reservations   & a bit left for the MDR   lobster night  .We are not big drinkers 

Occasionally ,I like a diet soda with lunch   & we will just pay as we go  

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

-- you can make a bar server or bartender very happy to purchase through them (they get credit)

+1

I like to buy the wine package from our MDR waiter the first night.....I also bring the list and have my selection ready.

(The last two HAL cruises...both since the unpleasantness....there was no "wine waiter" as before so the MDR waiter was wearing that hat)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:
25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We will   bring  2 bottles of   Shiraz    &   2 bottles of Sauvignon Blanc     ,all are Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's.

I've tended to think that the corkage is an all-right fee if you like either low-value or high-end wines. Even before the fee went up from $15 to $20 -- if you can drink Two-Buck Chuck*, you get by with now $23/bottle. If you like expensive wine, the corkage will be a fraction of the value by bringing it on yourself. But if you are a middle-class drinker, $15 to even $30 a bottle, the corkage is not worth the hassle of bringing your own, because it's going to ~double the cost and a similar quality wine will be available on the ship.

* No shame there, my DH likes the White Zinfandel

• Like 3