The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 8th, 2022

richwmn

I was at the grocery store and a woman came up to me and told me the Queen had passed. The store was abuzz with the news.

May Queen Elizabeth II rest in peace. The world has lost a great lady. King Charles has a lot to live up to.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

A sad day for Britain and all the Commonwealth countries.  But imagine if you will, the joy she experienced when she closed her eyes on this earth and opened them to see the face of her husband waiting for her.  May Her Majesty rest in eternal peace.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Woke up this morning to the news of the Queen's illness and now of course, the sad news of her passing. My Mother missed the coronation of her Father due to my rather sluggish arrival into the world (Mom complained about that all her life - she so wanted to see it) .... and of course, I remember Elizabeth's  coronation. Very sad..... like others I really thought she would live to 100. She certainly set an example of dedication that many of us could use.

Little news here. We do have a small fire at Falls Creek just outside of city limits  .... I heard helicopters earlier this afternoon. I think they have it pretty much under control as it is quiet now. We have had lots of dry lightening. Our larger air tankers are based away right now since our airport is closed for runway repairs. Boy do we feel isolated. And hopefully no more fires.

Little else new here. Prayers and positive thoughts for all on the care list. I am off to run some errands around town.

Susan

• Like 21

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Roy.

Her Majesty passed away this afternoon.

We have just found out and are devastated.

Graham and Pauline.

Graham, I thought about you and Pauline when I read the sad news.  Our condolences to both of you on the passing of a remarkable lady, the Queen.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, dfish said:

I have an appointment today to get the new Covid booster.  I want full immunity when I get on the ship October 8th.   One month from today!   

I'm thinking the first week of October for my November 9 Eurodam cruise.

Roy

• Like 10

I'm going to wait a bit on a new booster: partly because I received #4 at the end of September and there is some reason to think that any booster will be less effective if it's too soon after the last one, and partly because my next travel isn't until the end of January.

• Like 9

A sad day indeed.  I was 8 when Her Majesty was crowned.  It's a bit of a fuzzy memory; I feel like I saw it on TV but we did not have one until I was 10 so it isn't a perfect memory.  There's an old tag line :"I saw it on the Radio" and that may be what happened although I had one neighbor who had a TV so I may have seen part of it there.

Roy

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Graham, I thought about you and Pauline when I read the sad news.  Our condolences to both of you on the passing of a remarkable lady, the Queen.

Lenda

Thank you for your kind thoughts Lenda.

Graham and Pauline xx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Graham, this is beautiful. Where did you get this? I’d like to share it. 

I have it in my files since HM 90th birthday.

If you press on the video using your phone you should be able to Download the link.

Rich has my email address.

If you are on WhatsApp email me your telephone number and I will send it to you.

I have attached a video to your email address.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

50 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I have it in my files since HM 90th birthday.

If you press on the video using your phone you should be able to Download the link.

Rich has my email address.

If you are on WhatsApp email me your telephone number and I will send it to you.

I have attached a video to your email address.

Graham.

Got your email, thanks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

In memory of Her majesty.

Graham, this tribute to the Queenbr brought tears to my eyes.  She was always a very regal lady in public as befitted her position as Monarch.  However, later in life, in some of the pictures, you could get a glimpse of her personality in her smile.  She had a wonderful smile.

I was 5 when she became Queen, although I don't remember that.  I do remember driving 150 miles to Ft.Worth to my great aunt's to warch the coronation on tv when I was 6.  Basically, as far as my being aware, she was the only Monarch I've known.

Thank you so much for sharing the montage of pictures with us.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Graham, this tribute to the Queenbr brought tears to my eyes.  She was always a very regal lady in public as befitted her position as Monarch.  However, later in life, in some of the pictures, you could get a glimpse of her personality in her smile.  She had a wonderful smile.

I was 5 when she became Queen, although I don't remember that.  I do remember driving 150 miles to Ft.Worth to my great aunt's to warch the coronation on tv when I was 6.  Basically, as far as my being aware, she was the only Monarch I've known.

Thank you so much for sharing the montage of pictures with us.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

Paulines late dad was in the army and he stood guard on the Mall on the Queen's coronation June 2nd 1953.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15

I just returned from a seminar in Bremerton and my DW gave me the sad news about Her Majesty.  She was a person that I always admired and respected.  The seminar was at the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) facility and I learned a lot.  The DAV was the organization that helped me submit a claim to the VA when I was diagnosed with leukemia a few years ago.  They were extremely helpful at the time, but I hadn't been in contact with them since then.  They gave me a binder to put all the paperwork that my DW will need at my passing.  Also learned some of the rules regarding whether or not she will receive part of my disability compensation after I am gone.  If I die of leukemia within ten years of the diagnosis, no problem.  But if I die of something else, like a heart attack, she gets nothing.  After ten years, she gets the compensation no matter the cause of death.  I remember my oncologist saying that I would probably die of something other than leukemia and I didn't give it much thought.  Now I realize that he was saying something that could be important.  Something to be aware of for the next three and a half years.

Ray

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Roy.

Her Majesty passed away this afternoon.

We have just found out and are devastated.

Graham and Pauline.

Graham and Pauline, I wondered if you had heard yet when the news broke here today.  I understand how devastated you both must be, because people from all over the world share your sorrow.  She was the only monarch people remember in our lifetimes.  Thank you for sharing the beautiful video montage of Her Majesty over the years.  It was lovely.❤️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham and Pauline, I wondered if you had heard yet when the news broke here today.  I understand how devastated you both must be, because people from all over the world share your sorrow.  She was the only monarch people remember in our lifetimes.  Thank you for sharing the beautiful video montage of Her Majesty over the years.  It was lovely.❤️

Thank you Sandi.

We had been watching a BBC news special for a few hours before dinner and heard the sad news shortly after it was announced.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thought I should say something about Boracay Island in the Philippines.  We lived in the Philippines for three years at the end of the Vietnam war.  Traveled around a lot, but not to Boracay.  I have read that since then the tiny island has been developed for tourists, but I would be surprised to see a HAL ship stop there.  It has had some infrastructure problems in the recent past.  In 2018 President Duterte called it a "cesspool" and shut it down until it's sanitation improved.  Later a lot of Chinese businesses moved in and he had a lot of them shut down if they weren't employing local people.  We lived at Naval Air Station Cubi Point, near the main Navy base at Olongapo.  Off the base we got around on jeepneys, which were taxis converted from (originally) WW2 jeeps, but by the 70s the drivetrain was mostly made from Japanese cars.  When we were in Manila a couple of years ago they were still using them for public transportation.

Here is how we ended up in the Philippines.  I had been on a ship for three years and was due for shore duty after two tours in Vietnam.  I called my detailer and said I would take anywhere West of the Mississippi.  He thought it was humorous, as the Philippines is certainly West of the Mississippi.

Ray

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

Good Afternoon All,

Oh, my. I have been neglectful, and didn’t get wine up today. 🫣

A million apologies. ( We’re at a convention, and I sort of got distracted.)

So today’s Wine Report:  

San Pedro 2020 Gato Negro Sauvignon Blanc (Chile) 

For our cat lovers, we have a “Black Cat”from Chile. It’s a Sauvignon Blanc from the San Pedro Winery.
(I will personally give it a pass, as this style doesn’t play nice with my taster. (And having that name….. and grape, it sounds like it might be full of Feline Factor.)

Wine Enthisiast ranked it as #20 in the top 100 best buys for 2021, and I found it on their site for $5.

Clean citrus and apple aromas precede a plump palate with juicy acidity. Green apple, orange and lime flavors lead to a steady, bright finish that makes this nice for everyday quaffing. MICHAEL SCHACHNER

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7